Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: UAE & Egypt ban Al-Jazeera/Qatar bans Sky News/Al-Arabia sez Qatar supporting terrorism

Qatar is considering raising at least $9 billion from international bond markets to compensate for the economic embargo imposed on the country June 5 by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, Bloomberg reported Oct. 9. Qatar is expected to target investors outside the Middle East, including in the United States, Asia and Europe.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...lion-bond-sale
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bahrain Wants Qatar's GCC Membership Frozen

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Bahrain-Wants-Qatar-GCC-Membership-Frozen.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Associated Press on Thursday reported that Egypt is resisting Saudi calls to throw “the weight of its military” into the standoff if called for.

Egypt’s position in the blockade is squarely about Egypt and its dislike of Qatar, against which it holds a powerful grudge for its support of the Muslim Brotherhood party after the 2011 uprising in Egypt.

It seems unlikely that there will be an actual war between Saudi and Iranian forces, but the ongoing threats — Saudi has already accused Iran of declaring war after a Houthi-fired missile was intercepted north of Riyadh on November 4 — have Cairo concerned. And the response of the most populous country in the region at the very least reveals yet another Saudi miscalculation: Egypt has made it clear that it will not be dragged into an escalated, military conflict with Iran over Saudi’s issues.
    Egyptian media, which is almost entirely state controlled under President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, has been sending clear messages on where Egypt stands. Imad Hussein, editor of the Al-Shorouk — an independent newspaper — wrote, “Egypt’s real national duty is to tell our brothers … that we are with them to defend the security of Saudi Arabia, the Gulf and the entire region … But that does not mean that we get dragged by them into wars and conflicts that are essentially sectarian and benefit no one except the enemies of the (Arab) nation.” In Al-Mastry Al-Yourm, commentator Mohammed Aboul-Ghar, warned that “Coming close to that dangerous (Gulf) region is a horrifying prospect. It’s neither wise nor sound to even talk about that.”
    Sisi, for his part, has tried to walk a fine line with Saudi Arabia — he’s defended the government’s mass arrests in what it claims to be an “anti-corruption” plan while warning against military action against Hezbollah and Iran.

More at: https://thinkprogress.org/saudi-pres...-47c14581cccf/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Iran, Turkey sign deal with Qatar to ease Gulf blockade

Iran and Turkey signed a deal Sunday with Qatar aimed at boosting commercial ties with the Gulf state which is under blockade by its Arab neighbours, Iranian state television said.The broadcaster's website said the agreement provides for the creation of a "joint working group to facilitate the transit of goods between the three countries".
    It also said the three nations aimed to tackle "obstacles to sending goods from Iran and Turkey to Qatar".

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/iran-turk...182459868.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The move by Turkey, Iran and Pakistan to increase bilateral trade with Qatar, following a Saudi-led blockade, has benefited all four countries, according to experts. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt and Bahrain cut diplomatic ties with Qatar and imposed a land, air and sea blockade on it on June 5.
    Speaking on Sunday on the sidelines of the Gulf Studies Forum in Qatar's capital, Doha, analysts said the crisis has helped Iran, Pakistan and Turkey increase bilateral trade with Qatar, as well as open new commercial routes and strengthen political ties.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/1...175422055.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

To be fair, Al Jazeera has been publishing articles quite critical of Egypt's close allies:

Muhammad bin Kushner, Jared bin Salman, Daffy Duck & Co

The problem with Daffy Duck, if you recall, is how, with his very limited mental means and compromised moral imagination, he is always trying to cover up his natural cowardice with vainglorious misadventures.
    Here he is posing as a fast-drawing gunslinger pulling his guns to threaten some big men playing poker in a saloon - unaware he has actually pulled down his own pants and exposed his colourful underwear.

The same is with the two rich daddy's boys - Jared Kushner and Mohammed bin Salman - who are now so intertwined we get their names mixed up as they are committing war crimes in Yemen, throwing the Palestinian cause under the bus, reforming Islam Israeli-style, causing mayhem in Lebanon, and hope to begin bombing Iran and to invade with the last American soldier their petrodollars and AIPAC lobby can buy.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...092338779.html

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Qatari and Saudi/United Arab Emirates economic and diplomatic war which began early last summer appears to have taken to the skies above the Persian Gulf, where early Monday the UAE accused Qatari fighter jets of intercepting two UAE civilian airplanes. The UAE's official news agency WAM reported that the country's General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) has issued a statement, saying "it had received a complaint from one of the UAE's national carriers that one of its aircraft on a flight to Manama on a normal route had been intercepted by Qatari fighters."
    The UAE's aviation authority condemned the flight intercept, which WAM also suggests included another flight that was intercepted while landing, describing both incidents as "a flagrant threat to the safety of civil aviation and a clear violation of international law." The statement further warned that, "The United Arab Emirates rejects this threat to the safety of air traffic and will take all the necessary legal measures to ensure the safety and security of civil aviation."

Qatar was quick to deny the UAE's claims both through official statements and its major international broadcaster Al Jazeera. Qatar's spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lulwa al-Khater, issued a statement immediately following initial reports which reads, "The State of Qatar announces that the claims of Qatari fighter-planes intercepting a UAE civil aircraft is completely false. A detailed statement will follow."
    The State of #Qatar announces that the claims of Qatari fighter-planes intercepting a UAE civil aircraft is completely false. A detailed statement will follow.
    — لولوة راشد الخاطر (@Lolwah_Alkhater) January 15, 2018
    Following multiple statements out of the UAE, an Al Jazeera report quoted multiple Qatari officials who denied all allegations, while notably citing US military officials stationed in Qatar as having no knowledge of the incident. According to Al Jazeera:
    US Air Force Central Command, which is based at the sprawling al-Udeid Air Base in Qatar, also did not immediately have any report about an alleged incident involving a commercial aircraft in the region, said Lt. Col. Damien Pickart, an Air Force spokesman.
    However, Pickart cautioned that US forces do not routinely monitor the flights and operations of the Qatari air force.
    More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-stocks-plunge

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This weekend there was a dramatic escalation when Sheikh Abdullah Bin Ali Al-Thani, a descendant of Qatar’s founder, accused the U.A.E. of holding him against his will. On Sunday Al-Thani released on Sunday a video statement saying he was "a prisoner" in the UAE capital, Abu Dhabi. He also cryptically blamed "Sheikh Mohammed" as bearing responsibility should anything happen to him - an apparent reference to Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed.
    #عاجل بالفيديو | الشيخ عبدالله بن علي آل ثاني يقول إنه محتجز في #أبو_ظبي بعد استضافة الشيخ محمد بن زايد له ويقول إن دولة #قطر بريئة من أي مكروه قد يحدث له pic.twitter.com/6Gc7XOZT75
    — الجزيرة مباشر (@ajmubasher) January 14, 2018
    "I am currently in Abu Dhabi. I was a guest of Sheikh Mohammed. I am no longer a guest; I am a prisoner," the Qatari royal said in the widely circulated social media video. "They told me not to leave. I am afraid that anything could happen to me, and the people of Qatar would be blamed. So I just wanted to inform you that if anything happens to me, the people of Qatar are innocent," he added.
    Al-Thani's possible reference to Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Mohammed came when he said: "I am a guest of Sheikh Mohammed and if anything happens to me after this, he is fully responsible."
    He is a son of Qatar's emir from the 1960s, Sheikh Ali bin Abdullah Al Thani, and after decades of relative obscurity within Qatari politics he suddenly rose to prominence and visibility when the diplomatic crisis within the GCC broke out on June 5th.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-stocks-plunge

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Turkish Ambassador to Qatar Fikret Ozer said Jan. 31 that Turkey plans to deploy air and naval forces to Qatar, though he did not provide details about when that would occur, Al Jazeera reported Feb. 1.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...l-forces-qatar

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

U.S. President Donald Trump is sending a message to the Persian Gulf leaders that they must resolve the diplomatic crisis with Qatar or the possible Camp David summit with the Gulf Cooperation Council, scheduled for May, will not take place, AP reported March 2.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...president-says

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Qatar has requested that the United States launch two investigations into the U.S. subsidiary of the United Arab Emirates' largest bank, the First Abu Dhabi Bank (NBAD), over alleged fraudulent foreign exchanges, which the Qatari government believes were designed to harm its economy, Reuters reported March 18.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ation-uae-bank

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Jared Kushner's debt, Qatar, UAE, and Tillerson

Weeks after a Qatari investment group didn´t agree to refinance Kushner’s building on Manhattan, 666 5th Avenue, Qatar was suddenly hit by a blockade in June 2017, imposed by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt (the Anti-Terror Quartet – ATQ).
    The blockade was opposed by Rex Tillerson, who called to ease it.

Reportedly Tillerson was enraged over this affair. A close associate of Tillerson told the press:
    Rex put two-and-two together, and concluded that this absolutely vacuous kid [Jared Kushner] was running a second foreign policy out of the White House family quarters.
    Trump advisers George Nader and Elliott Broidy have been linked to the UAE.
    Elliott Broidy's defence company Circinus has hundreds of millions of dollars worth of contracts with the UAE. Broidy is an adviser to the UAE Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan (MBZ).
    Broidy met US President Donald Trump in October 2017 shortly after returning from the UAE and urged him to sack Rex Tillerson. Broidy referred to Rex Tillerson as "a tower of Jello", "weak" and "needs to be slammed".
    A hacked memo authored by Broidy called for Tillerson’s dismissal. Broidy told President Donald, that Tillerson was “performing poorly and should be fired at a politically convenient time”.

Broidy urged President Donald to "sit down" with Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan and a top UAE military commander. Broidy wrote in an email:
    I offered that MBZ is available to come to the U.S. very soon and preferred a quiet meeting in New York or New Jersey. President Trump agreed that a meeting with MBZ was a good idea.
    Tillerson’s friend told reporters that Tillerson thought that UAE ambassador Yousef Al Otaiba, a close friend of Kushner, supported Kushner in the blockade:
    Otaiba weighed in with Jared and Jared weighed in with Trump. What a mess.
    https://forward.com/opinion/396570/t...jared-kushner/
    (archived here: http://archive.is/b1gKT)

In the front row of the photo, from left, Mohammed bin Zayed, Donald Trump, Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Jordan’s King Abdullah II in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, May 2017.

When the blockade was announced by Saudi Arabia, Tillerson was in Sydney with Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis.
    Tillerson called on Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt to ease their anti-Qatar blockade and announced that the US supported a Kuwaiti-led mediation effort.
    That appeal wasn’t helped by President Trump, who later that day said that Qatar “has historically been a funder of terrorism at a very high level”. Tillerson's aides thought that UAE ambassador Yousef Al Otaiba wrote Trump's statement.

A White House official told the press to ignore Tillerson on this matter:
    Tillerson may initially have had a view, then the president has his view, and obviously the president's view prevails.
    Reportedly Tillerson wasn’t only "blind-sided by the Trump statement" but "absolutely enraged that the White House and State Department weren't on the same page".

According to a senior military officer, Mattis’
    first reaction was shock, but his second was disbelief.
    He thought the Saudis had picked an unnecessary fight, and just when the administration thought they'd gotten everyone in the Gulf on the same page in forming a common front against Iran.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/tille...true&r=US&IR=T
    (archived here: http://archive.is/TGzqo)

At the end of February, the security clearance of presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner (and other White House officials) was downgraded, reducing his access to classified information, on the orders of chief of staff John Kelly.
    According to the Post, officials in the UAE, China, Israel and Mexico had privately discussed how they could manipulate Kushner by taking advantage of his business arrangements: http://time.com/5178490/jared-kushne...ce-downgraded/

In May 2017, Tillerson had expressed that the move of the US Embassy to Jerusalem could only continue if this wouldn´t harm the “peace” in the Middle East on NBC's "Meet the Press”.
    Main Trump backer Sheldon Adelson was reportedly "furious" over these comments by Tillerson: https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/adel...elay-1.5472180

Sheldon Adelson makes this post full circle, as his FDD think tank is also associated with UAE Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan (MBZ) and UAE ambassador Yousef Al Otaiba: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6535598

See Mohammed bin Zayed (centre) with senators Bob Corker, Mitch McConnell, John McCain, Ben Cardin and Jack Reed.
    Last edited by Firestarter; 03-20-2018 at 04:33 AM.
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

@Firestarter

zerohedge
    PUTIN TO MEET EMIR OF QATAR NEXT WEEK: RIA CITES PESKOV

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A summit between the United States and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) members Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, aimed at ending the diplomatic crisis, was initially scheduled for April 1 but has been postponed until September, Al Jazeera reported April 4.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...oned-september

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Qatar's Foreign Ministry announced that Qatar has accepted Saudi Arabia's invitation to attend the Arab League summit in Riyadh on April 15, but has not yet decided its level of participation, Al Jazeera reported April 5.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...-summit-riyadh

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A proposal to dig a canal along the length of the Saudi-Qatari border has emerged, in the latest surprising twist in the ongoing diplomatic and economic standoff between the two countries.

According to a report on the Sabq website – picked up by a number of other media outlets in the country – a consortium of nine local firms is involved in the proposed project, which has yet to receive official approval.
    The commercial rationale is to develop tourism resorts along the new waterway, with plans for at least five hotels. Ports will also be constructed and a free trade zone set up.
    However, it remains to be seen how much demand there will be for all this. The area is thinly populated and far away from any major industrial centres. And assuming the border with Qatar remains closed, one main target market for any commercial or tourism activity will be shut off. It would also make little sense for shipping traffic from further north or south to divert into the narrow channel and away from the Gulf itself.
    According to the press reports, a 200m-wide channel will be dug to a depth of up to 20m, allowing the canal to accommodate cargo, container and passenger ships up to a length of 295m, a width of 33m and with a maximum draft of 12m. The preliminary cost has been estimated at SR2.8bn ($747m).

More at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominic.../#101fd4aa249e

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Saudi Arabia is planning to escalate its isolation of regional rival Qatar by using nuclear waste and a 650-foot wide canal to turn its neighbor into an island.
    According to reports in the state-linked al-Riyadh and Sabq newspapers, the project—which would establish a military zone, nuclear waste dump and canal—would separate the two countries along the entire length of the 37.5-mile border.

Apparently, Riyadh is not content with traditional isolation. The so-called “Salwa Marine Canal Project” would establish a military base in one area of the border and a nuclear waste site in another. The waste would come from the nuclear reactors that Saudi Arabia is planning to build. The border would then be clearly demarcated by a wide canal. The UAE would also build a nuclear waste site at its border’s closest point to Qatar.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/saudi-ara...164214449.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Saudi Arabia is planning to escalate its isolation of regional rival Qatar by using nuclear waste and a 650-foot wide canal to turn its neighbor into an island.
    According to reports in the state-linked al-Riyadh and Sabq newspapers, the project—which would establish a military zone, nuclear waste dump and canal—would separate the two countries along the entire length of the 37.5-mile border.

Apparently, Riyadh is not content with traditional isolation. The so-called “Salwa Marine Canal Project” would establish a military base in one area of the border and a nuclear waste site in another. The waste would come from the nuclear reactors that Saudi Arabia is planning to build. The border would then be clearly demarcated by a wide canal. The UAE would also build a nuclear waste site at its border’s closest point to Qatar.

Always a good idea to put nuclear waste near salt water. brilliant.

Qatari forces participated in the final day of Gulf Shield joint military exercises in Saudi Arabia, in what appears to be a form of compromise after an almost yearlong diplomatic crisis, Reuters reported April 19.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ercises-jubail

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Riyadh: Qatar obliged to send troops to Syria to keep being protected by US
    https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/2...sa-protection/

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Jubeir

"Qatar is obliged to send its troops to Syria if the country does not want to lose the military protection of the United States",
    Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Jubeir said Wednesday.

On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump said that he wants countries in the Middle East to pay for what is happening in the region,
    and also wants those wealthy states to put soldiers on the ground, apparently referring to the fighting in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Qatar… must send its troops to Syria before the US president [Donald Trump] denies US protection for Qatar,
    which is represented by a US military base on its territory," Jubeir said as quoted by the Saudi Foreign Ministry’s media center.

He stressed that if the United States ceased to ensure security to Qatar,
    the government of that country would be overthrown in less than a week.

fun times in the Levant.

Despite an ongoing blockade by the neighbors of Qatar, its state oil and gas company plans to increase its daily production capacity to 6.5 million barrels per day of oil equivalent in eight years from the current 4.8 million barrels per day of oil equivalent, its chief executive told Reuters.

More at: https://oilprice.com/Energy/Natural-...-Blockade.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Qatar said it was banning products originating from the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Bahrain, almost a year after those states imposed an embargo on Doha, accusing it of supporting terrorism."Products originating from the blockading states, which as a result of the blockade cannot pass the Gulf Cooperation Council Customs Territory, have to undergo proper import inspections and customs procedures," a government statement said late on Saturday.
    "To protect the safety of consumers in the State of Qatar and to combat improper trafficking of goods, the government issued a directive to find new suppliers of the variety of goods impacted."
    The national Al Watan newspaper quoted a circular from the Ministry of Economy and Commerce telling traders and shops to stop dealing in products imported from the four countries. It said inspectors would monitor compliance with the policy.

More at: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/qatar...082433650.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A proposal to dig a canal along the length of the Saudi-Qatari border has emerged, in the latest surprising twist in the ongoing diplomatic and economic standoff between the two countries.

According to a report on the Sabq website – picked up by a number of other media outlets in the country – a consortium of nine local firms is involved in the proposed project, which has yet to receive official approval.
    The commercial rationale is to develop tourism resorts along the new waterway, with plans for at least five hotels. Ports will also be constructed and a free trade zone set up.
    However, it remains to be seen how much demand there will be for all this. The area is thinly populated and far away from any major industrial centres. And assuming the border with Qatar remains closed, one main target market for any commercial or tourism activity will be shut off. It would also make little sense for shipping traffic from further north or south to divert into the narrow channel and away from the Gulf itself.
    According to the press reports, a 200m-wide channel will be dug to a depth of up to 20m, allowing the canal to accommodate cargo, container and passenger ships up to a length of 295m, a width of 33m and with a maximum draft of 12m. The preliminary cost has been estimated at SR2.8bn ($747m).

More at: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominic.../#101fd4aa249e

The so-called “Salwa Marine Canal Project” has reportedly opened up to bidding among five international companies that specialize in digging canals, with bids closing next Monday and the project to be awarded in 90 days, according to regional sources. The canal project is estimated to cost up to 2.8 billion riyals ($750 million) according to Saudi-based Sabq newspaper.
    Qatar has remained defiant throughout its unprecedented summer diplomatic crisis with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states which have brought immense pressure to bear on the oil and gas rich monarchy through a complete economic and diplomatic blockade imposed by its neighbors. Saudi and UAE officials have long accused Qatar of supporting terrorism, aligning with Iran, and meddling in the affairs of its gulf neighbors in a crisis that has resulted in the near complete unraveling of the GCC.
    Saudi Arabia is accepting bids until June 25 for plan to dig a maritime canal along the kingdom's border with Qatar — Makkah newspaperhttps://t.co/ck85QJlgMh pic.twitter.com/UGllBN4x9l
    — Mohamad Bazzi (@BazziNYU) June 18, 2018
    The Salwa canal was first announced in April but many observers dismissed it as but the latest in outrageous Saudi claims and punitive measures aimed at Qatar.
    Newsweek reported in early April:
    But it now appears to be concretely advancing and not a bluff.
    #جزيرة_شرق_سلوى
    Soon the #East_Salwa_Island - previously known as #Qatar pic.twitter.com/vgvsTl19kO
    — حسن سجواني ���� (@HSajwanization) June 17, 2018
    Beyond nuclear waste and military installations, Riyadh further envisages beach resorts in Salwa, Sakak, Khor al-Adeed and Ras Abu Qamees, and marinas for yachts and leisure.
    According to Dubai-based Gulf News the canal will be fully within the Saudi side of the border, meaning Qatar will have no rights or access to the waterway. Gulf News further (somewhat enthusiastically) notes that "In April, Saudi border guards took control of the Salwa crossing, effectively cutting off Qatar's only terrestrial link with the outside world."
    The project will reportedly be funded entirely but UAE and Saudi private investors, and it will be interesting to see if it actually comes to fruition. If so, building what is essentially a massive 60km long mote to physically cut off an entire country would certainly constitute a first in the history of diplomatic warfare.

More at: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...t-cut-neighbor

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Qatar has accused Saudi Arabia of barring its nationals from performing this year's Hajj, a charge Saudi officials deny.
    Around 1,200 Qatari citizens are allowed to attend the pilgrimage under a quota system, but Qatari officials say it has become impossible to register for the annual religious event.

In June, Saudi Arabia's ministry for the Hajj announced the opening of a website, which allowed Qataris to register for the pilgrimage. However, those in Qatar say registration is impossible.
    Abdullah al-Kaabi of the state-run Qatar National Human Rights Committee said Saudi Arabia had shut down the system used by travel agencies to obtain permits.
    "There is no chance this year for Qatari citizens and residents to travel for Hajj," he told the Reuters news agency.
    "Registration of pilgrims from the State of Qatar remains closed, and residents of Qatar cannot be granted visas as there are no diplomatic missions."
    According to Reuters news agency, three travel agencies in Doha said they had stopped trying to sell Hajj packages.
    "Last year we lost a lot of money as the crisis started after we had booked everything in Mecca and Medina and we had to pay people back," said a manager of one travel agency in Doha, declining to be named due to the sensitivity of the matter.
    Riyadh temporarily opened the land border for the Hajj last year, but has not done so this year.

More at: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...082236829.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A Saudi official hinted Friday the kingdom was moving forward with a plan to dig a canal that would turn the neighbouring Qatari peninsula into an island, amid a diplomatic feud between the Gulf nations."I am impatiently waiting for details on the implementation of the Salwa island project, a great, historic project that will change the geography of the region," Saud al-Qahtani, a senior adviser to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, said on Twitter.

Five unnamed companies that specialise in digging canals had been invited to bid for the project and the winner will be announced in September, Makkah newspaper reported in June.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/saudi-ara...213438663.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A Saudi official hinted Friday the kingdom was moving forward with a plan to dig a canal that would turn the neighbouring Qatari peninsula into an island, amid a diplomatic feud between the Gulf nations."I am impatiently waiting for details on the implementation of the Salwa island project, a great, historic project that will change the geography of the region," Saud al-Qahtani, a senior adviser to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, said on Twitter.

Five unnamed companies that specialise in digging canals had been invited to bid for the project and the winner will be announced in September, Makkah newspaper reported in June.

Dicckheads (both)

Last edited by goldenequity; 09-01-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Hell's not hot enough.

https://twitter.com/Fatikr/status/1035970953149382656

https://twitter.com/BaFana3/status/1036229420300881920

Ananke Group
    Qatar plans to invest billions of dollars more in Germany and will broaden its focus to the country’s "Mittelstand" manufacturing companies
    https://www.haaretz.com/amp/middle-e...many-1.6436126

https://twitter.com/azz________/stat...49446600912897

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast