Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Successful gasoline to propane generator conversion

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Why would you do that? (Serious question.)
    when you're off grid for any period of time eventually toting highly flammable plastic 5 gallon cans in your economy car can become quite a chore; a corner store habit you'd rather do away with

much nicer and safer to have johnny propane maintain a bottle in your backyard

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you convert it to natural gas?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can you convert it to natural gas?
    Simply change an orifice.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I'm not really a prepper, but we have natural gas here at my house. We've lost power for extended periods, and it seems like if we bought a generator, hooking it up to the gas line would save us from running to the gas station every day.

I'm not really a prepper, but we have natural gas here at my house. We've lost power for extended periods, and it seems like if we bought a generator, hooking it up to the gas line would save us from running to the gas station every day.
    They make kits for natural gas.

Every propane kit has a NG kit as well.

Here's the link for Briggs and Stratton engines.

http://www.usgemini.com/generators/c...l-gas-tri-fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    They make kits for natural gas.

Every propane kit has a NG kit as well.

Here's the link for Briggs and Stratton engines.

http://www.usgemini.com/generators/c...l-gas-tri-fuel
    OMG - that is so awesome! Killing me not to get lost in it. But my husband isn't handy, and while I sort of am, I'm afraid of mucking about with the gas lines. Hmmm....maybe the plumber next door....

OMG - that is so awesome! Killing me not to get lost in it. But my husband isn't handy, and while I sort of am, I'm afraid of mucking about with the gas lines. Hmmm....maybe the plumber next door....
    LOL - Understood.

That is certainly something you don't want to do half assed.

That said, I have no reason to think that the NG kits would not work as well as the propane kits.

Getting its first real workout, after all these years.

So far, so good.

Getting its first real workout, after all these years.

So far, so good.
    Ah, thanks for the bump...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Highly recommended.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Highly recommended.
    the "orifice" in question... is typically called a "jet"
    and has to do with the interior, conical shape.

what I like about this forum. is how very STUPID people assume that I am.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Only problem I've run across so far: the rapid evaporation of the liquid propane causes the tank to freeze up and reduces the temperature of the liquid propane so that it does not "boil off" properly and can starve the engine for fuel.

Shaking the tank and then placing it closer to the engine air cooling discharge and exhaust helped keep it warm and eliminated that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    the "orifice" in question... is typically called a "jet"
    and has to do with the interior, conical shape.

what I like about this forum. is how very STUPID people assume that I am.
    Once again, HVACTech has it "almost right".

In a carburetor, it is liquid fuel being vaporized in a venturi "jet", in which the liquid fuel is sucked into the incoming vacuum of air rushing by the venturi restriction and then rapidly expanding, and then proceeds to the engine.

When you have a fuel, like propane, that is already in a gaseous state and under pressure, it is not called a "jet" it is called an "orifice", the reason being that the fuel in this case is being "pushed" by pressure from behind, not "pulled" by vacuum from outside.

A subtle but important distinction that has little, if nothing, to do with the interior shape of the jet, nozzle or orifice.

He is right in that both of these devices are there to meter fuel delivery.

I give @HVACTech a "C" on this comment.

Only problem I've run across so far: the rapid evaporation of the liquid propane causes the tank to freeze up and reduces the temperature of the liquid propane so that it does not "boil off" properly and can starve the engine for fuel.

Shaking the tank and then placing it closer to the engine air cooling discharge and exhaust helped keep it warm and eliminated that problem.
    Set the tank right next to the alternator. You could also build/buy a copper pigtail splitter so you can draw from two tanks at once.

Also these were going at Costco for 499 last summer but Honda is rumored to be working on a duel fuel model..

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ah, thanks for the bump...
    Second bump for Phill
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Second bump for Phill
    Thank, you! Will probably need a third. I have seriously got to get this done. Just no damn time for anything these days.

And yet one more time.

The recent pipeline nonsense drives this home again.

Propane - LNG fuels never go bad as long as the tank remains intact.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why you want to get rid of long term gasoline storage.

These guys are goofy, and kind of irritating to watch, so if you want spoilers, check under the video.

They test a whole slew of gas additives, VP fuel and straight pump 87 octane ethanol garbage gas.

The pump gas and all the additives failed. One engine ran on the gas with Sta-Bil 360 but it still showed significant gelling and rusting in the carb. My estimation is it would not have run for long in actual use.

Only the VP "manufactured" fuel worked, did not gel, and did not result in moisture damage in the carb.

I use TruFuel (same chemical, basically) in my chainsaws and riding mower and I swear by the stuff.

Years can go by and they will still fire right off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12