Thread: Virginia will no longer recognize conceal carry permits from 25 states.

Virginia will no longer recognize conceal carry permits from 25 states.

RICHMOND, Va. – Virginia says it will not recognize conceal carry permits issued in other states because out of state qualifications do not measure up to Virginia standards. It says those states gun laws aren’t tough enough.

The state is revoking concealed handgun permit recognition with 25 states, including Pennsylvania, effective February 1, 2016 because their laws are not sufficient to prevent someone who is disqualified under Virginia law from receiving a concealed handgun permit. These states therefore do not meet Virginia’s standards for issuance of a concealed handgun permit or for recognition of such permits.
    Read more at the link below:

http://fox43.com/2015/12/22/virginia...-including-pa/

In addition:
    From an email from VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League) -
    According to the Washington Post, here are the states whose CHPs Virginia will no longer recognize effective February 1:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

The following permits will continue to be recognized: West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

This does not mean we will lose our ability to carry in every state in the first list, but I am certain we will lose some of them. An alert will come out whenever we learn about such a case. Either way, until February 1st, nothing should change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received an email from Gary Slider, who runs the handgunlaw.us website, and is thus in a position to know how Herring’s attack on CHP holders is going to affect us.

Here are the states where we won’t be able to carry using our Virginia permits after February 1st:

Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Wyoming

For those of you who have a Utah or a Florida non-resident permit, you will be able to carry in some of those states using that permit instead of your Virginia permit.
    VCDL website for those interested:
    http://www.vcdl.org/
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 12-22-2015 at 06:46 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All states must accept gay marriage because that is a constitutional right but owning a gun is not a constitutional right. I read that somewhere in the constitution.

/sarcasm
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    All states must accept gay marriage because that is a constitutional right but owning a gun is not a constitutional right. I read that somewhere in the constitution.

/sarcasm
    That's why SCOTUS based their recent decision off of the dubious 14th Amendment instead of the Full Faith and Credit Clause.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Scratch Virginia from the "places to visit" list.

Attention Virginia.. we can go around you - it's a longer drive in some cases but you will be find without the pass through tourism.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    There are 2 reasons Virginia is now a crap hole of Progressivism. 1. Because we have a Governor who was a strudent of the Clinton school of The Political Machine. McCaulliffe is a dirtbag. 2. Because 1 county in Virginia is home to more than 35% of the population and their values are more like New Jersey than your typical native Virginian. We are home to every scumbag who profits from D.C. and 3 population centers in Virginia cover a majority of the votes needed to make this state blue.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Chester Copperpot

thats funny that virginia still accepts permits from west virginia.. people ive known from west virginia have told me its the easiest place to get a gun.. just be 18 and have money..

So if you live in Virginia make damned sure you go to Rally Day in Richmond this year.
    Vcdl.org
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You people get a license to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    There are 2 reasons Virginia is now a crap hole of Progressivism.
    I'd characterize it as a battleground state, not a crap hole of Progressivism. Here are the results from the last AG race that put Herring into office:

Mark Rankin Herring (D)........1,103,777........49.9%
    Mark Dudley Obenshain (R)...1,103,612........49.9%
    All Others......................................5,462. ........0.2%

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    So if you live in Virginia make damned sure you go to Rally Day in Richmond this year.
    Vcdl.org
    I'm signed up to be a team leader this year.
    Last edited by cjm; 12-23-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added write-in total

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    constitutional carry ftw

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    I'm signed up to be a team leader this year.
    Awesome!

Todd? You gonna be there?

I'll be there with at least three other people from work.

FBO the non-Virginians: every year on MLK day the VCDL organizes "Lobby Day" which is when hundreds of gun owners descend on the offices of our state senators and delegates.
    The hook: we're all armed when we do it. Because it happens to be 100% legal to walk into these offices and chat with these people about upcoming legislation with a hogleg strapped to your thigh.

There is literally nothing like it anywhere else in the world. I had to miss the last couple but I'm damned sure gonna be there this year. They aren't checking Virginia IDs (unless you carry, that is) so if you're close to Richmond and just want to see how real pro-gun activism works, show up!

And again, if you're in Virginia, this is not the year to miss it.

I'm in NoVA, let me talk to my coworker I'm going with... I have an 8 passenger van I can take down so I'll see about fishing around here on RPF for who wants a ride.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Poll

Do you agree with the decision for Virginia to stop honoring some out-of-state concealed handgun permits?

No 89.6%
    Maybe 0.7%
    Yes 9.8%

You voted: No
    hxxp://www.richmond.com/news/local/poll_5756afa4-a8b4-11e5-93b7-47b90d2d48e3.html

Nope, I don't.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Awesome!

FBO the non-Virginians: every year on MLK day the VCDL organizes "Lobby Day" which is when hundreds of gun owners descend on the offices of our state senators and delegates.
    The hook: we're all armed when we do it. Because it happens to be 100% legal to walk into these offices and chat with these people about upcoming legislation with a hogleg strapped to your thigh.

There is literally nothing like it anywhere else in the world. I had to miss the last couple but I'm damned sure gonna be there this year. They aren't checking Virginia IDs (unless you carry, that is) so if you're close to Richmond and just want to see how real pro-gun activism works, show up!

I'm in NoVA, let me talk to my coworker I'm going with... I have an 8 passenger van I can take down so I'll see about fishing around here on RPF for who wants a ride.

I haven't yet been, but I might be able to get down there this time around.

I live in Richmond VA and I've skipped this the past few years because I had to work that day. This upcoming January 18th, I'll be off.

So I guess I'll show up. What sort of firearm should I bring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Awesome!

If I can find out the dates, I will do my best to attend.

Edit: January 18th might be too quick a turnaround for me. I will see.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    There are 2 reasons Virginia is now a crap hole of Progressivism. 1. Because we have a Governor who was a strudent of the Clinton school of The Political Machine. McCaulliffe is a dirtbag. 2. Because 1 county in Virginia is home to more than 35% of the population and their values are more like New Jersey than your typical native Virginian. We are home to every scumbag who profits from D.C. and 3 population centers in Virginia cover a majority of the votes needed to make this state blue.
    I did move here from NJ after all

Seriously pretty upsetting though. Where is this Lobby Day? Can someone bring me up to speed... ?

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    I did move here from NJ after all

Seriously pretty upsetting though. Where is this Lobby Day? Can someone bring me up to speed... ?
    Here's more info:

https://vcdl.org/event-2109153?Calen...Date=1/24/2016

Recall Mark Herring facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/recallmarkh...c_location=ufi

PLEASE READ!!! Before asking "where do I sign".*** First off, thanks to all of you sharing this page. We're at over 2,000 likes and growing fast. Many of you have asked why I have not posted a petition form. The reason is because I am yet unsure of the legal requirements for the petition to be valid. The law allowing for recall says that signatures must be from Virginia residents who are registered to vote. As you can imagine, it will be significantly more difficult to gather 200,000+ signatures AND include a home address AND voter ID #. I will be seeking guidance on this issue tomorrow from the NRA-ILA and will continue to update the page. I am expecting to have everything ready by January 1st, and to have a signature bomb that day. My goal is to gather at least 20,000 signatures on day 1. So please keep sharing this page. All info will be posted as soon as possible. PS: If anyone knows a way for me to contact legal council at the NRA-ILA directly please message me with the details.

To Virginia let me be clear. I carry open and concealed in North Carolina. I carry concealed in venues that are public and label themselves as "gun free." I visit to Virginia often. I've lived there and have relations. I will travel to and around Virginia both open carrying and concealed carrying depending on the venue.

What power was granted unto you to deprive me of self protection? Whatever that piece of paper was realize that I do not recognize it for I did not sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Attention Virginia.. we can go around you - it's a longer drive in some cases but you will be find without the pass through tourism.
    To Virginia let me be clear....
    Here's an update from the VCDL...

1) THOUGHTS FOR OUR FELLOW OUT-OF-STATE CHP HOLDERS

First, I’d like to offer an apology to our fellow CHP holders from the 25 states
    that are about to lose recognition on February 1st.

All of you who have visited Virginia over the years have been exemplary and have not
    caused any problems within the Commonwealth.

This is NOT about you or anything you have done that was wrong.

It’s about our Governor, Terry McAuliffe, and our Attorney General, Mark Herring,

who were both elected by a very small margin, and are a great embarrassment to
    Virginians. Neither of these individuals are reflective of the attitudes toward
    liberty and freedom and the values that we cherish here in Virginia. In fact, both
    have been referred to as “lawless” by some of our own General Assembly members, many
    of who are going to work to fix the situation we find ourselves in.

Here in the Old Dominion, the anger of gun owners at what our Attorney General has
    done is palpable, and I cannot remember anything to match it. Herring and McAuliffe
    have endangered your lives when you travel here and our lives when we travel outside
    of Virginia. SIX MILLION CHP holders in half the country are affected!

And all this treachery was done as political payback to Michael Bloomberg for
    campaign contributions.

VCDL will be working to fix this problem from various angles and we will be trying
    to do so as expeditiously as possible. We want Virginia to be a welcoming state
    again for our fellow gun owners. We ultimately want to recognize ALL out-of-state
    permits.

Sadly, we understand if you decide you can’t visit us until we can honor your
    permits. I’d be a hypocrite if I said I would do so if the tables were turned.

HOWEVER, you do have a few options if you still want to come visit us:

1. Open carry is legal in Virginia - no permit required and you can open carry in
    most places in Virginia. Our police don’t bat an eye. VCDL's website has a list of
    the places that you cannot carry. And, here’s another good reason to open carry:
    McAuliffe and Herring HATE open carry.
    But, hey, it was THEIR brilliant idea to
    prohibit concealed carry, so they will have no choice but to get used to a whole lot
    more people open carrying in Virginia! ;-)

2. You can have a LOADED handgun in a CLOSED, but not necessarily locked,
    compartment or container in a vehicle.
    That includes a glovebox, console, and trunk
    as long as the compartment or container has some kind of latch. Optionally the
    loaded handgun can be in plain sight, on the seat or on the dashboard
    . Again, if
    concealed it MUST be in a compartment or container and nowhere else. Upon exiting
    the vehicle, the loaded handgun can be holstered and carried in plain view or you
    can unload the gun and put it in a carrying case.

3. You can get a Utah non-resident concealed handgun permit or you can get a
    Virginia non-resident concealed handgun permit. For the money and the fact that
    Virginia’s permit has now been degraded by the Attorney General, I’d go for the Utah
    permit.

Whatever you do, please don’t judge our great Commonwealth based on our current
    Governor and Attorney General.

2) WHAT CAN BE DONE?

VCDL is working to fix "Herring’s Folly" from several angles.

a) A bill on VCDL’s behalf has been introduced by Delegate Lee Ware and will be
    considered by the General Assembly, which convenes on January 14th (Lobby Day is on
    the 18th, BTW). This bill will change Virginia law to honor the CHPs from ALL
    states!
    Expect a matching bill to come from the Senate.

Yes, McAuliffe will probably veto it, but with your help, we will work to get as
    large a majority as possible to pass it. More on this in future legislative updates
    in January.

In the meantime, here is a link to the bill:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...e?161+ful+HB12

b) The General Assembly’s “Power of the Purse” can be used in different ways to help
    with this battle

c) We can possibly use the courts to override Herring and McAuliffe’s actions

d) There is a petition you can sign. Yes, Herring will ignore it, but it will make
    a great PR item, when I say something like, “X thousand of people signed a petition
    against Herring’s actions.” 7,283 have signed it so far and you guys are just
    learning about it! Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/pajlh9x

d) Since Herring is making our lives miserable, we can return the favor. More on
    this next week. Oh, and Herring is going to run for Attorney General again in 2017.
    I’ll bet he’ll be surprised at just how good our memories can be!

3) DON’T FORGET TO KEEP PUSHING PEOPLE YOU KNOW TO COMMENT ON MCAULIFFE’S
    STATE-AGENCY BAN

As of 8 PM on December 23rd, 2,818 comments have been posted. All but a handful, if
    that many, are against McAuliffe’s gun ban!

That's nice, but we can do better. Get this link into the hands of others you know
    and get them to leave a comments opposing the ban. If you haven’t commented yet,
    now is a great time to do so. Click on the link and then click on “Enter a comment”
    to get started:

http://www.townhall.virginia.gov/L/C...m?StageID=7379

Here’s an article on McAuliffe’s state-agency gun ban and VCDL:

http://bearingdrift.com/2015/12/23/a...s-vcdl-fights/

or

http://tinyurl.com/gpmf2nu

4) DETAILS ON THE BUSES COMING TO LOBBY DAY WILL BE READY VERY SOON

The buses are now confirmed and I will let you know where the pickup points will be,
    the times, and how to make a reservation. Please make this the biggest Lobby Day
    VCDL has ever had!

5) MARK YOUR CALENDARS: VCDL MEETING IN RICHMOND AREA ON DECEMBER 29!

VCDL will be holding a long awaited membership meeting in the Richmond area. We
    will meet at the Glen Allen Library on Tuesday, December 29th at 7:00 p.m. The
    meeting room will be open to us at 6:30 p.m. for fellowship and the meeting will
    begin around 7:00.

We will be discussing strategy for Lobby Day and the implications of the recent
    "audit" by AG Mark Herring and the Executive Order #50 issued by Gov. McAuliffe.

We will adjourn at 8:30 and those who care to will go to the Nuevo Mexico restaurant
    for continued fellowship.

The meeting is open to all, regardless of your membership status. In fact, we
    encourage you to bring people who have never been to a VCDL meeting before.

Glen Allen Library
    10501 Staples Mill Road
    Glen Allen, VA 23060

Time:

7:00 pm - 8:30 pm

Continued Fellowship:

Nuevo Mexico Restaurante
    10282 Staples Mill Road
    Glen Allen, VA 23060
    www.nuevomexicorestaurante.com

FINALLY - MERRY CHRISTMAS AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!

I signed that petition and I'm gonna show up to that VCDL meeting. Actually isn't too far from me. It's about time I actually took action instead of sitting on this site, commenting, and then just voting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

edited. ok, nm. FB finally let me in.

https://www.facebook.com/michaelwebertfordelegate

hmm. This is from Del. Webert:

I have just signed on as a co-patron for HB12, a bill that would help expand concealed carry reciprocity. In effect, it would help roll back the recent decision from Attorney General Mark Herring regarding permit recognition.

HOUSE BILL NO. 12
    Offered January 13, 2016
    Prefiled November 16, 2015
    A BILL to amend and reenact § 18.2-308.014 of the Code of Virginia, relating to out-of-state concealed handgun permits; photo identification.
    ----------

Patrons-- Ware, Bell, Robert B., Cole, Freitas, Gilbert, LaRock, Poindexter, Taylor and Webert; Senator: Reeves
    ----------
    Referred to Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety
    ----------
    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That § 18.2-308.014 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 18.2-308.014. Reciprocity.

A. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this article. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this subsection, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes that the permit or license holder carries a photo identification issued by a government agency of any state or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of State and displays the permit or license and such identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.

B. A valid concealed handgun permit issued by Maryland shall be valid in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the holder of the permit is licensed in Maryland to perform duties substantially similar to those performed by Virginia branch pilots licensed pursuant to Chapter 9 (§ 54.1-900 et seq.) of Title 54.1 and is performing such duties while in the Commonwealth, and (ii) the holder of the permit is 21 years of age or older.

C. For the purposes of participation in concealed handgun reciprocity agreements with other jurisdictions, the official government-issued law-enforcement identification card issued to an active-duty law-enforcement officer in the Commonwealth who is exempt from obtaining a concealed handgun permit under this article shall be deemed a concealed handgun permit.
    Someone asked if this (what Herring is doing) can be reversed.
    Del. Webert responded:
    Yes!! This legislation does that. If the Governor Vetoes the bill then the next thing is VOTE ROB BELL for AG!!!!
    The Gov. will of course veto.
    Recall Herring.
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 12-24-2015 at 10:18 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.