Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jail, Drugs And Video Games: Why Millennial Men Are Disappearing From The Labor Force

Jail, Drugs And Video Games: Why Millennial Men Are Disappearing From The Labor Force

Jail, Drugs And Video Games: Why Millennial Men Are Disappearing From The Labor Force

Last week, Goldman Sachs pointed out a very disturbing trend in the US labor market: where the participation rate for women in the prime age group of 25-54 have seen a dramatic rebound in the past 2 years, such a move has been completeloy missing when it comes to their peer male workers. As Goldman's jan Hatzius put in in "A Divided Labor Market", "some of the workers who gave up and dropped out of the labor force during the recession and its aftermath still have not found their way back in." In fact, the labor force participation rate of prime-age (25-54 year-old) women has rebounded quite a bit and is now only moderately below pre-crisis levels, but the rate for prime-age men remains well below pre-crisis levels.

While Goldman did not delve too deeply into the reasons behind this dramatic gender gap, BofA's chief economist Michelle Meyer did just that in a note released on Friday titled "The tale of the lost male." As we have discussed previously, and as Goldman showed recently, Meyer finds that indeed prime-working age men - particularly young men - have failed to return to the labor force in contrast to women who have reentered. According to Meyer, while this reflects some cyclical dynamics, including skill mismatch and stagnant wages, what is more troubling is that there are several new secular stories at play such as greater drug abuse, incarceration rates and the happiness derived from staying home playing games.

The macro implications, while self-explanatory, are dire: with the labor force participation rate among young men unlikely to rebound, the unemployment rate should fall further and cries of labor shortages will remain loud, even as millions of male Americans enter middle age without a job, with one or more drug addition habits, and with phenomenal Call of Duty reflexes. Here's why.

First the facts

The overall LFPR is at 62.7%, up from the lows of 62.4% in 2015 but still considerably below the peak in 2000 of 67.3%. BofA estimates that more than half of the decline in the LFPR is due to demographics - as the population ages, the aggregate participation rate naturally falls. However, even after controlling for demographics, the participation rate of prime-working age individuals has failed to recover. As shown by Goldman above, and in BofA's Chart 1 below, "this reflects the fact that men have not returned to the labor force. This is not a new phenomenon as the participation rate for prime working aged men has been on a secular downshift for the past several decades. However, it stands in contrast with the participation rate of women of the same age cohort which has rebounded nicely."

Looking at age cohorts, the weakness among men is particularly acute among 25-34 years old where the rate has continued to slip lower. This is offset by a modest uptrend in participation among men aged 45-54 years old (Chart 2). In other words, the millennial men have remained on the sidelines of the labor market.
    For more: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...ng-labor-force

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Millennial Men"

^oxymoron
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

According to Meyer, while this reflects some cyclical dynamics, including skill mismatch and stagnant wages, what is more troubling is that there are several new secular stories at play such as greater drug abuse, incarceration rates and the happiness derived from staying home playing games.
    Making money doesn't require a w2 anymore - correction, it never has. I've settled on changing oils part-time, and working for home owners associations, because I hate working with multiple people I hate, I only like work that makes sense, and I hate the bull$#@! retail or warehouse jobs. Some guys settle on dealing drugs (I hear you can either go to school 6 years to be a pharmacist, or do it starting at the age of 10, with only slightly higher risk, and turn out no better or worse). There's so much money w2 jobs forget, that's easier to go to jail than apply for a w2 job.

Also, as more women fill the official workforce, more men will simply look elsewhere. I've never lived with a girlfriend or been married, but I'm sure going to work with a bunch of women, and men you've got no roots with, is irritating to then come home to a skirt and all that drama again. I bet its not even a conscious-level decision.
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 11-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Making money doesn't require a w2 anymore - correction, it never has. I've settled on changing oils part-time, and working for home owners associations, because I hate working with multiple people I hate, I only like work that makes sense, and I hate the bull$#@! retail or warehouse jobs. Some guys settle on dealing drugs (I hear you can either go to school 6 years to be a pharmacist, or do it starting at the age of 10, with only slightly higher risk, and turn out no better or worse). There's so much money w2 jobs forget, that's easier to go to jail than apply for a w2 job.
    I hear ya there. My sons are "unemployed" millennials. They stay busy and pull down decent cash doing yards, firewood, and grunt work. Hell, they'll do just about anything for a buck under the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I hear ya there. My sons are "unemployed" millennials. They stay busy and pull down decent cash doing yards, firewood, and grunt work. Hell, they'll do just about anything for a buck under the table.
    Goldman Sachs and their "reports"... I'm already predisposed to hate what they like and like what they hate.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Define "The Labor Force". You can make money on the internet through video and art sharing sites like Youtube, Newgrounds, and Vid.me. The entertainment industry's where it at. All you need is a good art making program, a Delgado and a camera
    Last edited by Lamp; 11-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.

While Goldman did not delve too deeply into the reasons behind this dramatic gender gap, BofA's chief economist Michelle Meyer did just that in a note released on Friday titled "The tale of the lost male."
    I'd dare say they know exactly the reasons, as they have been instrumental in the trend. They outsourced jobs to other countries and import mass amounts of men from other nations for cheaper labor. This has targeted jobs that are predominantly male. Construction, trades, factory jobs, tech jobs, security, etc.

First jobs for teenagers like working in the kitchen at a restaurant? Sorry, those are now lifetime career jobs for immigrants.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Hell, they'll do just about anything for a buck under the table.
    I've sent you a PM.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    I've sent you a PM.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5538910

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Also, as more women fill the official workforce, more men will simply look elsewhere. I've never lived with a girlfriend or been married, but I'm sure going to work with a bunch of women, and men you've got no roots with, is irritating to then come home to a skirt and all that drama again. I bet its not even a conscious-level decision.
    If I had to work in suit and tie, cube hump environment, with a bunch of special snowflakes and bitchy broads, I do believe I would shoot myself.

Men's guilt in all this goes as far as not having the balls to slap this $#@! down when we had the chance.

Well, that ship has long since sailed, and now, more and more, men are walking away from all of it.

It's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If I had to work in suit and tie, cube hump environment, with a bunch of special snowflakes and bitchy broads, I do believe I would shoot myself.

Men's guilt in all this goes as far as not having the balls to slap this $#@! down when we had the chance.

Well, that ship has long since sailed, and now, more and more, men are walking away from all of it.

It's not worth it.
    This is similar to my day job... but it's a means to an end as I work towards to self sufficiency.

It is very very VERY hard at times to keep my peace at work and not go off on the entitled mouthy leftists... but I do with only a couple of flares up that I apologized for.

I keep my peace for me and not for them. I have to remind myself that they are not going to also, on top of everything else, they're NOT taking my desire to love and understand my neighbor. I won't let them take my need to forgive. So.... I push on... I push knowing that one day, I will be right, and freedom and harmony will be the way of life once again.

Sorry, I'm getting deep. LOL

Women in becoming wage-earners have displaced men from the only positive social roles men can fill - provider and protector.

This of course leaves female social roles badly understaffed, and it is of course children who pay the price.

Children who will one day grow up to want revenge for what has been done for them in the name of "equality".

I've noticed a trend among family and friends that it's harder to find full time employment so people are often doing a variety of things. The box stores don't like full time workers as they cost more, and the smaller stores are closing due to competition being so fierce.

The local facebook groups all have people asking for someone to do a job, many people responding being individuals and not companies. While it's not new to have people doing trade work that aren't licensed or insured (Carpenter / plumbing / painting / electrical / etc) it's now easier to get work because of social media. Maybe it's the region.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Women in becoming wage-earners have displaced men from the only positive social roles men can fill - provider and protector.

This of course leaves female social roles badly understaffed, and it is of course children who pay the price.

Children who will one day grow up to want revenge for what has been done for them in the name of "equality".
    That is ignorant, instead it gives men the chance to be with their children. If possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    That is ignorant, instead it gives men the chance to be with their children. If possible.
    It's ignorant to pretend women's role in the family hasn't affected society and the family unit. Before men could earn enough for women to stay at home and that changed when the economy took a change for the worse. Its not like women still don't miss the days of old.

I am sure there are some career minded women, but at least in my experience women will sacrifice their career to child rear 9/10. The only ones that don't are the ones that go to work to get away from their kids, I knew friends like that growing up where both parents worked, they didn't learn the same morals everyone else did.

No it isn't, for many women, will want to be there for they're children, but the fact is, men need to play their part too. This 1950's picture is based on a narrow view. Its these sort of beliefs that lead to even further preconceptions that not all people are equal in society.

It is good that fathers can be with their children, its important.

Society is changing, as it has for the past century, people like us won't even know the future as it will be completely different from now. Some won't be able tolerate it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No it isn't, for many women, will want to be there for they're children, but the fact is, men need to play their part too. This 1950's picture is based on a narrow view. Its these sort of beliefs that lead to even further preconceptions that not all people are equal in society.

Society is changing, as it has for the past century, people like us won't even know the future as it will be completely different from now. Some won't be able tolerate it.
    It's more important for the mother to spend time with the children than the father, father time is a luxury if you are rich enough to afford it, mother time is essential.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It's more important for the mother to spend time with the children than the father, father time is a luxury if you are rich enough to afford it, mother time is essential.
    Both is required, it isn't one way. Whether male or female.

Both is required, it isn't one way. Whether male or female.
    As much as possible, but if one has to be sacrificed to the work world (in whole or in part) it is father time that should be.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

As much as possible, but if one has to be sacrificed to the work world (in whole or in part) it is father time that should be.
    I think this is from conservatism more than what is normal. More of an agenda. That is the way too many of us have been brought up to see the world, in those eyes.

I think this is from conservatism more than what is normal. More of an agenda. That is the way too many of us have been brought up to see the world, in those eyes.
    No, it is from nature, every animal that raises it's young follows the pattern, the mother cares for the children.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

No, it is from nature, every animal that raises it's young follows the pattern, the mother cares for the children.
    Meh. It wasn't uncommon for mothers die due to childbirth, diseases and other hazards of life through much of human civilization. Leaving kids to be raised by a father until they found a new wife.

More and more you see men in the modern era as the primary caregiver for the children. I see it all around me now, and it was still a bit rare just a few years ago. Now its about equal in my area. I'm the primary caregiver for my kid due to my blessing of being able to work from home and I wouldn't have it any other way -- my kid is awesome. He shares my office with me; does his homework in "our" office, plays his computer in "our" office, watches his videos in "our" office and knows to stay quiet when I have to get on a conference call. I've met a number of kids where the father is the primary caregiver and universally they are respectful, well-raised and good kids.

I'm actually looking forward to the next generation where a fair number of kids were raised by men, they certainly can't be any worse than the recent generations raised by women.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 11-23-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Meh. It wasn't uncommon for mothers die due to childbirth, diseases and other hazards of life through much of human civilization. Leaving kids to be raised by a father until they found a new wife.
    Exceptions always existed.

More and more you see men in the modern era as the primary caregiver for the children. I see it all around me now, and it was still a bit rare just a few years ago. Now its about equal in my area. I'm the primary caregiver for my kid due to my blessing of being able to work from home and I wouldn't have it any other way -- my kid is awesome. He shares my office with me; does his homework in "our" office, plays his computer in "our" office, watches his videos in "our" office and knows to stay quiet when I have to get on a conference call. I've met a number of kids where the father is the primary caregiver and universally they are respectful, well-raised and good kids.

I'm actually looking forward to the next generation where a fair number of kids were raised by men, they certainly can't be any worse than the recent generations raised by women.
    Due to the more successful degradation of the females in the last few generations you may have a point but if modern women were normal then the classic tradition is correct that mother time is more important than father time in raising children.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I can't tolerate it now.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

More and more you see men in the modern era as the primary caregiver for the children. I see it all around me now, and it was still a bit rare just a few years ago. Now its about equal in my area. I'm the primary caregiver for my kid due to my blessing of being able to work from home and I wouldn't have it any other way -- my kid is awesome. He shares my office with me; does his homework in "our" office, plays his computer in "our" office, watches his videos in "our" office and knows to stay quiet when I have to get on a conference call.

I've met a number of kids where the father is the primary caregiver and universally they are respectful, well-raised and good kids.

You know, I had a much larger role in raising my kids than most men of my age, and I agree with what you wrote.

Not to blow my own horn, but my son and daughter are two very inquisitive, well spoken, young people who are a pleasure to be around.

I owe you a rep.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 11-23-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Due to the more successful degradation of the females in the last few generations you may have a point but if modern women were normal then the classic tradition is correct that mother time is more important than father time in raising children.
    Yes, but they are not.

Most are wretched slatterns: spoiled, narcissistic, entitled toxic slags, possessed of a "resting bitch face" that could eat steel and are to be avoided by any sane man at all costs.

Yes, but they are not.

Most are wretched slatterns: spoiled, narcissistic, entitled toxic slags, possessed of a "resting bitch face" that could eat steel and are to be avoided by any sane man at all costs.
    Too true.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You know, I had a much larger role in raising my kids than most men of my age, and I agree with what you wrote.

Not to blow my own horn, but my son and daughter are two very inquisitive, well spoken, young people who are a pleasure to be around.

I owe you a rep.
    I agree that men can raise kids just as good as women, but my point was that a lot of times its both parents that aren't around. I think its great you were there for your kids, but a lot of people can't be there for their kids. Society rewards and encourages people to spend no time with their kids so they can work extra long to pay for universities to teach their kids right from wrong, good from evil.

Inquisitive, that was the word I wanted to use but was too lazy to think it up. Mine as well. I've had a few people tell me that they would be more inclined to having a kid if they could guarantee that it would turn out like mine.

My dad was away a lot as a kid; but when he was in town he ALWAYS involved us in HIS activities. Whether it was building our house, mowing our fields, fishing, working on cars, goldmining, inviting us to sit in to listen on business deals, or teaching us chemistry. And he didn't put up with any whining nor complaining, and we never even thought to do so. That's how I teach my son, by involving him in MY activities as much as being involved in his.

I think equality is over-rated. What we are missing is that gender roles complement each other. They aren't meant to be equal. If true equality is what we strive for, then I might as well marry another man who will play the role of provider and protector. But I don't swing that way, so . . .

Speaking frankly, any woman who wants to be equal to a man is really underselling her value as a woman, but that's a very unconventional way of seeing it, I realize, in modern times. At some point society (chiefly the feminist movement) started teaching women that they don't have any value unless they're out in the workforce. I want a woman who can fill in the parts of my life that I'm missing, and hopefully I can be the man who complements her missing pieces as well.

And that's enough romantic visualization for me today.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast