Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The yearly outrage at "Baby It's Cold Outside" spools up yet again

Exclamation The yearly outrage at "Baby It's Cold Outside" spools up yet again

And I don't even like the damn song, for a number of reasons:

It's not in any way a Christmas song.

I don't care for the melody or pace.

And the role of the man makes him come off as a weak, pussy begging fool.

But it's not "listeners"...it's one electric blue haired SJW that decides for all of us.

Maybe @acptulsa is on to something.

Radio station stops playing ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ amid Me Too movement

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/30/radio-s...-too-movement/

POSTED 9:07 AM, NOVEMBER 30, 2018, BY TRIBUNE MEDIA WIRE
    FACEBOOK10K+ TWITTER GOOGLE LINKEDIN PINTEREST1 EMAIL

CLEVELAND - A Cleveland radio station has stopped playing “Baby It's Cold Outside" this holiday season after it says listeners voiced concern about the song’s predatory undertones amid the “Me Too” movement.

WDOK Christmas 102.1 pulled the song from its around-the-clock rotation of Christmas music this week after receiving a call from a listener who suggested it is inappropriate in 2018.

The call-and-response song written in the 1940s includes a woman singing that she has to leave a man’s house as he tries to lure her to stay.

In the song, the female sings “I really can’t stay,” to which the man responds, “but baby, it’s cold outside.”

Other lyrics include the woman singing “say, what’s in this drink?” and “I simply must go… the answer is no.”

“It wasn't really our decision. It's the decision of our listeners,” WDOK midday host Desiray told WJW, noting that the Christmas lineup is decided by the station’s listeners.

The station said it posted a poll about the song on its website and a clear majority of respondents supported the decision to remove the song from the station’s lineup.

Poll results were not visible on the station's website. However, a poll on the station's Facebook page showed that among more than 600 votes by Thursday night, 92% of respondents favored playing the song while just 8% felt it was inappropriate.

“People might say, ‘oh, enough with that #MeToo,’ but if you really put that aside and listen to the lyrics, it's not something I would want my daughter to be in that kind of a situation,” Desiray said. “The tune might be catchy, but let's maybe not promote that sort of an idea.”

Cleveland Rape Crisis Center President and CEO Sondra Miller said the organization supports the decision.

“I think it's taking a 2018 lens on a song that was written a very long time ago,” she said, adding that the move reflects evolving values.

Societal norms were different when the song was written. An unmarried woman staying at a man’s house was scandalous, even if she wanted to.

In the song, the woman expresses concern about what others may think of her spending the night, as the man tries to convince her to stay.

While some might view the song and its lyrics as a playful, coy back-and-forth from another time, Miller said it may have a different meaning to a rape survivor.

“It really pushed the line of consent,” Miller said. “The character in the song is saying ‘no,’ and they're saying well, ‘does no really mean yes?’ and I think in 2018 what we know is consent is ‘yes’ and if you get a ‘no,’ it means ‘no’ and you should stop right there.”

Miller said the song is an example of the rape culture in which we live, and the first step to preventing sexual violence is to change that.

Here are the full lyrics:

I really can't stay (but baby, it's cold outside)
    I've got to go away (but baby, it's cold outside)
    This evening has been (been hoping that you'd drop in)
    So very nice (i'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)
    My mother will start to worry (beautiful what's your hurry?)
    My father will be pacing the floor (listen to the fireplace roar)
    So really I'd better scurry (beautiful please don't hurry)
    But maybe just a half a drink more (put some records on while I pour)
    The neighbors might think (baby, it's bad out there)
    Say what's in this drink? (no cabs to be had out there)
    I wish I knew how (your eyes are like starlight now)
    To break this spell (i'll take your hat, your hair looks swell)
    I ought to say, no, no, no sir (mind if I move in closer?)
    At least I'm gonna say that I tried (what's the sense in hurtin' my pride?)
    I really can't stay (oh baby don't hold out)
    But baby, it's cold outside
    I simply must go (but baby, it's cold outside)
    The answer is no (but baby, it's cold outside)
    Your welcome has been(how lucky that you dropped in)
    So nice and warm (look out the window at this dawn)
    My sister will be suspicious (gosh your lips look delicious)
    My brother will be there at the door (waves upon the tropical shore)
    My maiden aunts mind is vicious (gosh your lips are delicious)
    But maybe just a cigarette more (never such a blizzard before)
    I've gotta get home(but baby, you'd freeze out there)
    Say lend me a coat(it's up to your knees out there)
    You've really been grand (i thrill when you touch my hand)
    But don't you see? (how can you do this thing to me?)
    There's bound to be talk tomorrow (think of my lifelong sorrow)
    At least there will be plenty implied (if you got pnuemonia and died)
    I really can't stay (get over that old out)
    Baby, it's cold
    Baby, it's cold outside
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    But it's not "listeners"...it's one electric blue haired SJW that decides for all of us.
    Eight percent of the population picking our radio play lists. Six percent picking our Republican nominees for president.

We moved past the Tyranny of the Majority and have entered the age of the Tyranny of the Media's Favorite Minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’: The real story of the song

The Palm Beach Post in Florida ran a great piece on the origin of the seasonal classic, and an interview with John Loesser.

From the article by Scott Eyman: As headline writers around the country compete to come up with variations on Baby, It’s Cold Outside, the crusading journalists at the Palm Beach Post want you to know the truth about the song, not to mention the phrase.

Like everything else in the world, it’s got a tangential South Florida connection. But it has little to do with this week’s blast of arctic air, or even the holiday season.

John Loesser as a boy with his Hollywood father, Frank Loesser.

“My father wrote that song as a piece of special material for he and my mother to do at parties,” says John Loesser, who runs the Lyric Theatre in Stuart, and is the son of legendary composer Frank Loesser (Guys and Dolls, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.)

Frank Loesser’s wife, Lynn, was a nightclub singer who had moved from Terre Haute, Ind. to New York in search of a career. She was singing in a nightclub when she met Frank Loesser around 1930.

The song itself was written in 1944, when Loesser and his wife had just moved into the Hotel Navarro in New York. They gave a housewarming party for themselves and when they did the number, everybody went crazy.

“We had to do it over and over again,” Lynn Loesser told her kids, “and we became instant parlor room stars.”

Read the whole story on Palm Beach Post's pbpulse.com
    http://frankloesser.com/news/213-bab...ry-of-the-song

The story behind the holiday song everyone hates to love: “Baby It’s Cold Outside”
    https://lemonwire.com/2017/12/13/the...-cold-outside/
    Last edited by donnay; 11-30-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Societal norms were different when the song was written. An unmarried woman staying at a man’s house was scandalous, even if she wanted to.

In the song, the woman expresses concern about what others may think of her spending the night, as the man tries to convince her to stay.

“It really pushed the line of consent,” Miller said. “The character in the song is saying ‘no,’ and they're saying well, ‘does no really mean yes?’ and I think in 2018 what we know is consent is ‘yes’ and if you get a ‘no,’ it means ‘no’ and you should stop right there.”
    Ya, see it's all horse $#@!.

The woman wants to stay and $#@!, but she is scared what others will think of her. She decides not to stay, which is fine, perfectly within her rights. But it's also within the man's rights to attempt to convince her to stay - because he knows she really wants it, but because of social norms and slut shaming she is being pressured to say no. He just wants her to do what she actually wants to do.

The SJWs should be celebrating the man's decision to try and convince her not to care about being slut shamed. But they are dumb.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-30-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

How not to get laid:

But whenever I read the title of the song, I'm mostly reminded of the documentary series "The Power Of Nightmares". May have to watch it again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

The woman wants to stay and $#@!, but she is scared what others will think of her. She decides not to stay, which is fine, perfectly within her rights. But it's also within the man's rights to attempt to convince her to stay - because he knows she really wants it, but because of social norms and slut shaming she is being pressured to say no. He just wants her to do what she actually wants to do.

The SJWs should be celebrating the man's decision to try and convince her not to care about being slut shamed. But they are dumb.
    I had a pretty good time at The Hotel Navarro one Halloween night after a Grateful Dead show when I missed my late flight into Indianapolis .
    Do something Danke

People are outraged by this song yearly? This is the first time I'm hearing it.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    People are outraged by this song yearly? This is the first time I'm hearing it.
    Go back and search.

Every year at this time the multi pierced, electric purple haired, granny glasses wearing, tattooed, cat fancying, lesbian crowd makes a fuss about it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Go back and search.

Every year at this time the multi pierced, electric purple haired, granny glasses wearing, tattooed, cat fancying, lesbian crowd makes a fuss about it.
    You really need to rethink those sites you patronize.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You really need to rethink those sites you patronize.
    Act quick, and they'll refund your membership fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
    How not to get laid:

Holy crap; that was so pitiful I couldn't even get through it.

Here's how duets are done.

Take some lessons from the old geezers, already.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Well, the lights went out, so she must have got him to stay. Red prolly had a big johnson.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
    How not to get laid
    Wow that was awful, even worse than the original.

And people wonder why white birth rates are in the $#@!ter?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    It's not about right and wrong for them, it's about destroying the past and writing their own rules.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's not about right and wrong for them, it's about destroying the past and writing their own rules.
    Your profound insights humble me.
    "The Patriarch"

I don't care what anyone thinks - especially, the unicorn haired SJW set, I find the song charming.

It doesn't strike me as pussy begging and the second half doesn't strike me as dick begging. There once was a time when flirting was an art and both sexes enjoyed the thrill of the pursuit. Hell, I still enjoy playing the game with Mr A. It keeps things spicy. IMO, it's just a silly song about an age old mating ritual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Jihadis, Feminists Rally Against 'Baby, It’s Cold Outside'

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...d_outside.html

By Jack Cashill

An inveterate fan of Christmas music, I added to my Sirius presets the Hallmark Radio Channel -- Channel 70, if you are looking -- the day after Thanksgiving. I have been rotating this channel, which plays standards from the American songbook, with a Christian station that features more traditional Christian music.

I was pleased to hear that the Hallmark Channel continues to play the slightly naughty, 1949, call-and-response classic, “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” Hallmark, in fact, may very well play this song in its multiple versions more than any other.

Composed by Frank Loesser of “Guys and Dolls” fame, “Baby” tells the story in alternating voices of a young woman who wishes half-heartedly to head home to preserve her reputation and a young man who leans on her to remain with him. “I really can’t stay,” she sings. “Baby, it’s cold outside,” he replies as he wears down her defenses and ultimately persuades her to stay.

I was aware that feminist Grinches did not much like the song. I had heard the drumbeat, which, Mary Nahorniak tells us in a USA Today article, has been “getting too loud to ignore.” Like many other neo-Victorians in the feminist third wave, Nahorniak sees the song as a symptom of the “the systemic sexual predation that pervades every corner of society.” We hear this argument every day. It is the kind of argument -- one not without some merit -- that got the French skunk Pepe Le Pew kicked off the Warner Brothers’ lot.

What I did not know until a friend informed me is that feminists are not the only ones in the great, unwieldy multicultural coalition who object to “Baby.”

Indeed, it is not a stretch to trace the beginnings of the jihadist threat to this very song.

As British author Jonathan Raban notes in the New York Times,

“The essential charter of the jihad movement -- its Mein Kampf -- is Sayyid Qutb's Milestones (1964).” As it happens, Qutb was visiting the United States in 1949, the year of the song’s release. At a church dance in Greeley, Colorado, the pastor played the song for those gathered.

Qutb describes what happened next, "The dancing intensified... The hall swarmed with legs... Arms circled arms, lips met lips, chests met chests, and the atmosphere was full of love." For Qutb, this was pure epiphany. He saw in this seemingly innocuous Colorado sock hop what Hieronymus Bosch imagined in hell. From that moment on, he would dedicate himself to "purifying the filthy marsh of this world."

So hang in there, Hallmark. The jihadis seem to have forgotten, and the feminists are not likely to fly planes into your buildings.

Apparently not cold enough for Repub bikini babes. (Hopefully, some Democratic Underground progs are reading this thread and get triggered.)

$#@! like a beast, the government will raise the child.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

"feminist Grinches". hehe

Poor Pepe Le Pew!

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

5 reasons why 'A Christmas Story' is actually a terrible Christmas movie

A childhood in which his biggest accomplishments were beating up a bully and getting a gun. A world where boys make the rules, and anyone who’s not like them — girls, people of color — doesn’t factor in. Worst of all: Ralphie looks back with fondness on a time when his family could openly laugh at Asian people.

But by the end of the film, he has realized that the true meaning of Christmas… is shooting things with his new Red Ryder BB gun.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

5 reasons why 'A Christmas Story' is actually a terrible Christmas movie

[FONT="]A childhood in which his biggest accomplishments were beating up a bully and getting a gun. A world where boys make the rules, and anyone who’s not like them — girls, people of color — doesn’t factor in. Worst of all: Ralphie looks back with fondness on a time when his family could openly laugh at Asian people.

[/FONT]
    But by the end of the film, he has realized that the true meaning of Christmas… is shooting things with his new Red Ryder BB gun.
    That's my favorite Christmas movie. It reminds me of the time we were playing BB gun wars and my stinky brother got shot in the face and got a bb stuck in his upper lip. I tried to squeeze it out before my mom got home because we weren't suppose to shoot each other in the face but I couldn't. I got in trouble. Anyway, the doctor had to cut the inside of his lip and push the bb through to get it out.

I just read a Princeton a capella group got in trouble for singing Kiss the Girl in a Little Mermaid show. I can't cut-n-paste. It's on Fox News. I like that song, too. I had a boy ask me if he could kiss me once and I thought it was weird. I was like, duh. He was a shy sweet nerd, bless his heart.

I think this song is sweet and romantic and her body language implies consent. Not rapey, at all.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

I had a boy ask me if he could kiss me once and I thought it was weird. I was like, duh. He was a shy sweet nerd, bless his heart.
    Ya, nerdy boys need to practice before they find a nice girl and settle down.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Apparently not cold enough for Repub bikini babes. (Hopefully, some Democratic Underground progs are reading this thread and get triggered.)

There's no way around it. I'm just a dirty old man.

Ya, nerdy boys need to practice before they find a nice girl and settle down.
    That's why most marriages end in divorce. The nerds should marry the slightly naughty girls. I married a nerd and he seems happy.

"slightly naughty girls" LOL
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

"feminist Grinches". hehe

Poor Pepe Le Pew!

Pepe Le Pew is an American classic like French Fries .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast