Thread: TSA paid $1.4 million for Randomizer app that chooses left or right

TSA paid $1.4 million for Randomizer app that chooses left or right

http://www.geek.com/apps/tsa-paid-1-...right-1651337/

When someone starts learning how to code, one of the first things they create is a program that generates and outputs random numbers. In most cases it’s an incredibly simple program to make because your programming language of choice has a randomizing function available to use.

Keeping the above in mind, I now turn your attention to the Transport Security Administration and the Randomizer app they use every day. If you’ve traveled through US airports in recent years then you’re well aware of the TSA Pre-Check lanes. It is a faster way to get through airport security for low-risk travelers, and allows you to keep your shoes and belt on.

TSA Pre-Check is faster, but it also includes random searches and that’s where the Randomizer app comes in. The app randomly chooses whether travelers go left or right in the Pre-Check lane. That way, nobody can predict which lane each person is assigned to and therefore can’t figure out how to avoid the random checks.

Here’s the app in action:

So how much did the TSA pay to have the Randomizer iPad app developed? At least $336,413.59.

That’s $336,413.59 for an app that does nothing more than randomly select left or right a few hundred times an hour.

We know this thanks to developer Kevin Burke, who submitted a Freedom of Information Act request asking for details about the app. And if you think paying over $336,000 for an app like this is ridiculous, well, that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

The contract for the TSA Randomizer app was won by IBM. The total paid for the project is actually $1.4 million, but the cost is not broken down in the documents Burke received in response to his request. It could be IBM supplied all the iPads and training as well as the app itself. Even so, the cost of the project is crazy. It’s an app that is just randomly selects left or right.

I understand that software used for security checks at airports must be rigorously tested and reviewed, but I have a hard time believing such checks cost $1.4 million. In fact, I’m sure there’s many reputable developers out there who’d supply the TSA with the same app for a few thousand dollars.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    we need more government border security that will solve this

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

How much does the monkey tapping it cost?

I mean for the cost of some peanuts...

Last edited by bunklocoempire; 04-04-2016 at 06:42 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

30 seconds and a few lines of code to generate the random numbers,

the rest of the time and money was spent to test randomness.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

In fact, I’m sure there’s many reputable developers out there who’d supply the TSA with the same app for a few thousand dollars.
    How about they flip a coin?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    How about they flip a coin?
    muh conspicuous state consumption!

how will we know to bow to its grandeur?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I paid $.99 for the same app I use in Thailand.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I paid $.99 for the same app I use in Thailand.
    You would be better off using the naked body scanner.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You would be better off using the naked body scanner.
    Tell me more.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

They should have given the contract to me. For a modest 200k fee I could have found someone to do it for 500k.

Woulda saved them a lot of money.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Can't they just flip a coin? Heads, left, tails, right? DUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Can't they just flip a coin? Heads, left, tails, right? DUH?
    Yes but then you couldnt analyze the data from that to ensure the coin flip was randomizing properly.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Yes but then you couldnt analyze the data from that to ensure the coin flip was randomizing properly.
    Is "randomizing properly" an oxymoron? If so, it gets added to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Is "randomizing properly" an oxymoron? If so, it gets added to the collection.
    No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conver...ndom_variables
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    TSA paid $1.4 million for Randomizer app that chooses left or right
    I need one of these to help made election day choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    30 seconds and a few lines of code to generate the random numbers,

the rest of the time and money was spent to test randomness.
    I wrote much more complicated applications for my graphical calculator back in high school when I was bored.

If only I had known. I'd be a millionaire right now. I'm not a programmer but holy $#@!, this is something I could do.
    "I am a bird"

Is Wikipedia randomly dependable and reliable?

"Eenie-meenie-miney-moe" is beyond the scope of the mental midgits the TSA hires.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    "Eenie-meenie-miney-moe" is beyond the scope of the mental midgits the TSA hires.
    Coin flips really should be more than good enough for government work.

looks, guys....we need roads, if it requires the gov doing whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want..so be it.....whats a 1 million dead Iraqis when I have ROADS?
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post

^ 3rd party hired by FBI to crack San Bernardino i-phone.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Why would which line you are in matter? Aren't the procedures (i.e., training and policies) exactly uniform all throughout the USA?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.