Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Son's Medical Expenses -need help

Bump- prayers for you and yours.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Bump- prayers for you and yours.
    Thank you..just waiting for the rehabilitative service counselor to get her head out of her butt so we can get things going. Everything is a go just waiting on her to sign off even though she approved it in October. The intake lady at TIRR told me she's never seen anyone drag their feet like that. Frustrating but at least we've raised enough for the brain scan deductibles. Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Thank you..just waiting for the rehabilitative service counselor to get her head out of her butt so we can get things going. Everything is a go just waiting on her to sign off even though she approved it in October. The intake lady at TIRR told me she's never seen anyone drag their feet like that. Frustrating but at least we've raised enough for the brain scan deductibles. Thanks to all!
    Take down names and document every call and get reference numbers.

Most people you speak with will get to a point where they say "Is there anything else?" or "Have I answered your question?" which is when you say "May I have a call reference number?" Most of the time there will be a pause, a slight change in attitude, and they'll give you some way to reference this particular call. Most insureds never ask and the person on the other end knows that at most you'll be able to say "Um I talked to Sally? Cindy?" The moment you ask for and jot down a call reference number, it implies you might take some action further on down the line and this call --- and the person you're speaking to --- might be part of that action.

Also, you are in the midst of care right now and that is the big focus for obvious reasons, but somewhere down the line you might run into multiple foot-draggers. This is when you can push out all that documentation into a complaint or two. Formal complaints tend to tango with the Government, but at a high level that's their employer, so it makes sense. I would try to make sure that your son's out of the person's wheelhouse before you complain if you go that route.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you've looked into support groups for this (financial, psychological, spiritual). Depending on where you are, there are usually resources you can tap into along the same sort of demographic lines as college scholarships. Some might be for moms of adult children with traumatic brain injuries, or some might be for longterm care cases, or yet others might be for patients receiving a certain therapy or drug. The hospital should have a social worker who can guide you in that direction if you haven't done that already.

I can't contribute financially right now, but hopefully something I said helps in the long run. Documenting everything and keeping it neat can also be a sort of therapy for you in and of itself if you're that type of person
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Take down names and document every call and get reference numbers.

Most people you speak with will get to a point where they say "Is there anything else?" or "Have I answered your question?" which is when you say "May I have a call reference number?" Most of the time there will be a pause, a slight change in attitude, and they'll give you some way to reference this particular call. Most insureds never ask and the person on the other end knows that at most you'll be able to say "Um I talked to Sally? Cindy?" The moment you ask for and jot down a call reference number, it implies you might take some action further on down the line and this call --- and the person you're speaking to --- might be part of that action.

Also, you are in the midst of care right now and that is the big focus for obvious reasons, but somewhere down the line you might run into multiple foot-draggers. This is when you can push out all that documentation into a complaint or two. Formal complaints tend to tango with the Government, but at a high level that's their employer, so it makes sense. I would try to make sure that your son's out of the person's wheelhouse before you complain if you go that route.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you've looked into support groups for this (financial, psychological, spiritual). Depending on where you are, there are usually resources you can tap into along the same sort of demographic lines as college scholarships. Some might be for moms of adult children with traumatic brain injuries, or some might be for longterm care cases, or yet others might be for patients receiving a certain therapy or drug. The hospital should have a social worker who can guide you in that direction if you haven't done that already.

I can't contribute financially right now, but hopefully something I said helps in the long run. Documenting everything and keeping it neat can also be a sort of therapy for you in and of itself if you're that type of person

Thank you. We've been dealing with this "social worker" since last June. Between her and it taking so long just to get doctor appointments and getting doctors to sign off on referrals, it 's realky been a nightmare. After the neuropsych results came back in
    October and he was approved for the therapies, we thought it was a done deal but this one woman is dragging her feet. She's one of those highly educated, lowly paid state employees who thinks she knows more than the doctors. . I had to go over her head one time and I suspect this is her getting retribution. So much for caring about people. The people at the outpatient rehab facility have been great though and it's one of the best in the country.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)

BPPV is the most common vestibular disorder.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (or BPPV) is the most common cause of vertigo, a false sensation of spinning.1

• Benign – it is not life-threatening
    • Paroxysmal – it comes in sudden, brief spells
    • Positional – it gets triggered by certain head positions or movements
    • Vertigo – a false sense of rotational movement

WHAT HAPPENS DURING A BPPV EPISODE?

BPPV is a mechanical problem in the inner ear. It occurs when some of the calcium carbonate crystals (otoconia) that are normally embedded in gel in the utricle become dislodged and migrate into one or more of the 3 fluid-filled semicircular canals, where they are not supposed to be. When enough of these particles accumulate in one of the canals they interfere with the normal fluid movement that these canals use to sense head motion, causing the inner ear to send false signals to the brain.

Figure 1: Inner ear anatomy. Otoconia migrate from the utricle, most commonly settling in the posterior semicircular canal (shown), or more rarely in the anterior or horizontal semicircular canals. The detached otoconia shift when the head moves, stimulating the cupula to send false signals to the brain that create a sensation of vertigo. © Vestibular Disorders Association. Image adapted by VEDA with permission from T. C. Hain.
    Fluid in the semi-circular canals does not normally react to gravity. However, the crystals do move with gravity, thereby moving the fluid when it normally would be still. When the fluid moves, nerve endings in the canal are excited and send a message to the brain that the head is moving, even though it isn’t. This false information does not match with what the other ear is sensing, with what the eyes are seeing, or with what the muscles and joints are doing, and this mismatched information is perceived by the brain as a spinning sensation, or vertigo, which normally lasts less than one minute. Between vertigo spells some people feel symptom-free, while others feel a mild sense of imbalance or disequilibrium.
    It is important to know that BPPV will NOT give you constant dizziness that is unaffected by movement or a change in position. It will NOT affect your hearing or produce fainting, headache or neurological symptoms such as numbness, “pins and needles,” trouble speaking or trouble coordinating your movements. If you have any of these additional symptoms, tell your healthcare provider immediately. Other disorders may be initially misdiagnosed as BPPV. By alerting your healthcare provider to symptoms you are experiencing in addition to vertigo they can re-evaluate your condition and consider whether you may have another type of disorder, either instead of or in addition to BPPV.
    WHO IS AFFECTED?

BPPV is fairly common, with an estimated incidence of 107 per 100,000 per year2 and a lifetime prevalence of 2.4 percent3. It is thought to be extremely rare in children but can affect adults of any age, especially seniors. The vast majority of cases occur for no apparent reason, with many people describing that they simply went to get out of bed one morning and the room started to spin.

However associations have been made with trauma

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._UAVIO-qS3eu4A

there is another procedure to correct BPPV that can result in stroke, be cautious about letting doctors manipulate the neck to achieve the desired result; it is unnecessary and dangerous. You're essentially playing a game of skeet ball to put the crystals back in place. This quick exercise (Semont Maneuver) performed a few times a day could dramatically improve dizziness overnight

BPPV is a condition that is caused when particles of calcium carbonate (otoconia) migrate into the inner ear. These particles can become displaced after trauma to head and thus,

BPPV is commonly seen after brain injury.
    http://www.neuroskills.com/about-us/...ain-injury.php
    Last edited by presence; 04-03-2016 at 08:19 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._UAVIO-qS3eu4A

there is another procedure to correct BPPV that can result in stroke, be cautious about letting doctors manipulate the neck to achieve the desired result; it is unnecessary and dangerous. You're essentially playing a game of skeet ball to put the crystals back in place. This quick exercise (Semont Maneuver) performed a few times a day could dramatically improve dizziness overnight

http://www.neuroskills.com/about-us/...ain-injury.php

Interesting! One thing about brain injury..it affects different people different ways. I've actually seen people with concussions...considered a mild traumatic brain injury with horrible symptoms. My son had a severe TBI and does well in most areas, just the cognitive issues more associated with frontal lobe injury.

I just wanted to give a little update since y'all were kind enough to help. We got my son through the evaluation stage at the facility this week and will get the results of that and find out his schedule tomorrow. He will start the actual therapy week after next. We are still short for some of the deductibles but certainly better off than before we did the fundraiser. Thank you all so much! I will leave this up a bit longer so I can update. It's been such a long road just to get here. I guess if I have any words of wisdome from all this it would be "Protect your Head!"and just because someone may look fine doesn't mean they are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I just wanted to give a little update since y'all were kind enough to help. We got my son through the evaluation stage at the facility this week and will get the results of that and find out his schedule tomorrow. He will start the actual therapy week after next. We are still short for some of the deductibles but certainly better off than before we did the fundraiser. Thank you all so much! I will leave this up a bit longer so I can update. It's been such a long road just to get here. I guess if I have any words of wisdome from all this it would be "Protect your Head!"and just because someone may look fine doesn't mean they are fine.
    Mrs O tells me all the time just because I look ok does not mean I am. I have not even told her about all of the concussions from football. I wish you all the best !

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Mrs O tells me all the time just because I look ok does not mean I am. I have not even told her about all of the concussions from football. I wish you all the best !
    Thank you! Concussions can sometimes cause as many problems as a severe tbi!

Last edited by Carlybee; 08-17-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123