Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones TV SHOW ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Each of the four seasons, Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring, are signaled by a white raven from the Citadel. And actually, the declaration of Autumn happens back in at the beginning of Season Two, in the episode "The North Remembers". Grand Maester Pycelle says ""The Raven arrived from the Citadel this morning, Your Grace. The Conclave has met, considered reports from maesters all over the Seven Kingdoms, and declared this great summer done at last. The longest summer in living memory."
    Yeah that's ridiculously short, given how long summer and winter are.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Right, but it's kind of a ridiculously short transition.

There seem to be almost no references to autumn or spring in either the series or the books; there are references to being born in the long summer, or of the Long Night, etc., but somehow people are never connected with spring or autumn. I know it's nitpicking but that seems like more of an issue than half the things all of these "plot hole" articles bring up.
    It actually makes sense, if you think about it. We know that winter and summer in the world of Westros [BTW, what is the world's name, anyway?] last for years at a time and are of variable length. Some summers, for example, only last for a few years, while the most recently passed summer lasted for nine years (described by one of the characters as the longest in living memory, IIRC). This indicates that the world of Westeros (unlike Earth) has lengthily periodic but irregularly occurring equinoxes and solstices.

Or it might be that the world of Westeros does not even have equinoxes and solstices in the first place, which would be the case if the planet has no axial tilt. In that case, seasons are likely determined by perihelion and aphelion - and given the world's apparently irregular orbital period, it is not at all clear that something like "spring" or "autumn" would or even could have any meaning at all except in the vaguest of senses. (This scenario would also imply that a Westerosi "year" must correspond to something other than a single orbital cycle - which also makes sense, since that cycle would have an irregular period.)

Given that seasonal divisions and labels are essentially arbitrary anyway, designating more than two seasons under the strange astronomical conditions that seem to pertain to the world of Westeros would unnecessarily complicate matters. This is why I get the sense (as mentioned before) that the latest part of summer and earliest part of winter in Westeros are actually more akin to what we would think of as being autumnal - with any "official" autumn (as determined by the maesters of the Citadel) being just a kind of brief, transitional "heads up" that "winter [aphelion?] is coming." Similar considerations would apply with respect to spring and the coming of summer - i.e., the latest part of winter and earliest part of summer are what we on Earth would think of as being "spring" (or at least "spring-like") with an "officially" declared spring (if any) being but a (relatively) brief notice that "summer [perihelion?] is coming." It's the difference between having four things to go by (two equinoxes and two solstices) and only having two things to go by (aphelion and perihelion).

In any case, with years-long variable-length seasons (possibly driven by perihelion/aphelion of an irregular orbital period), the maesters probably have their hands full just figuring out when winter and summer begin or end in each seasonal cycle, without having to artificially shoehorn two more full-blown seasons in there just to meet an arbitrary (and Earth-bound) insistence that there be four distinct seasons of (on average) roughly commensurate or proportional length.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-17-2016 at 02:38 PM.

I think the seasonal changes would be easier to predict if they knew what was west of Westeros.

But they do have this contraption:

What is the Sphere Chandelier that Sam Saw in the Citadel Library?
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    She was asked about it after the episode, she said it was a misquote. Also, it was really her, and no CGI like they did for Lena Headey.
    It was obviously CGI. Look at how weird she looks in that scene. It's a bad CGI job.
    I am the spoon.

Jon being Targaryen is far from a certainty.

Big plot hole: Tyrion is technically King of Westeros now.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Big plot hole: Tyrion is technically King of Westeros now.
    Pretty sure theres a rule somewhere that says a dwarf can't be a king
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Toast to Your Enemies With These New Game of Thrones Wines

It's a rare episode of Game of Thrones that doesn't feature at least one character sipping — or chugging — some wine. So to celebrate the most popular drink in the Seven Kingdoms, HBO has released a line inspired by the medieval fantasy series.

Created by California winemaker Bob Cabral, the three Thrones varieties — Red Blend, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon — are crafted to embody "the strength of the characters and the terrain of their kingdoms."

And, of course, each type goes best with a different Westerosi occasion. While the Red Blend is intended for Small Council sessions and the Chardonnay heralds the arrival of spring, the Cabernet Sauvignon is the one worthy of the Iron Throne.
    http://time.com/4709433/game-of-thro...alflow_twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

they should have run with Imp's Delight

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Where is Dany, at Dragonstone?

1:18 Unsullied versus Lannister army
    Last edited by CPUd; 05-24-2017 at 12:52 PM.

hmmm looks like the dragon has grown a little...

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    hmmm looks like the dragon has grown a little...
    They're saying the biggest one will be the size of a 747:

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    They're saying the biggest one will be the size of a 747:

There are supposedly leaked scripts out for the whole season, but I doubt I'll be looking at those.

Some speculative stuffs based on set pics made by tourists flying drones and/or revealed in the 2 trailers:

The first shot of Sansa walking away is likely after Bran told her something. Could be about how Littlefinger betrayed their father. Arya is also carrying that same dagger in the promos. I think there's a good chance when Arya is traveling alone in the woods, she is reunited with her dire wolf Nymeria.

The people who went north of the wall fighting in the circle include Jon Snow, Tormund, The Hound, Gendry, Beric (dude with the flaming sword), possibly Davos and Benjen. This is probably in episode 6 and 7, and we may see either a giant wight or ice dragon. The reason they go there is to capture a wight and bring to Cersei to prove they aren't a myth. One of the sets they use is the fighting pit at King's Landing, that's where we see The Hound for a split second in the latest trailer. Best guess is he will either be fighting the captured wight, or his brother.

Jon and Davos go to Dragonstone to meet Dany and the dragons. There is also a cave full of dragon glass they want to use to make weapons. Rhaegal the dragon may have a hardon for Jon, due to the family connection. Melisandre is also there, she may want to stay out of sight of Davos.

Gendry has been hiding in plain sight, pretty much the same place he first appeared on the show. Davos and Tyrion go there from Dragonstone to smuggle him back out, presumably because he was apprentice to one of the only blacksmiths who could forge Valyrian steel swords. Gendry also has a war hammer with the Baratheon sigil on it.

The Greyjoy ships in the latest trailer are Euron's fleet. There is obviously a sea battle against Theon and Yara. Probably Yara and at least 1 of the sand snakes gets killed, their mama gets captured by Euron and he brings her to Cersei, who will most definitely do some really nasty things to her.

Cersei has problems with the Iron Bank, she needs money to pay them back, so Jaime and the Lannister army takes Highgarden. While bringing the loot back, they get ambushed by Dany, and a lot of people are set on fire. Depending on how they cut the episodes, the Unsullied may also be taking over Casterly Rock at the same time. The same castle is being used for both the Highgarden and Casterly Rock sets.

Overall, it looks like 3-5 of the 7 episodes are packed with epic battle scenes.

Is it just me is Jorah Mormont just Duncan Idaho in some sci fi crossover...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Haven't posted in here for years, but it's great all you book nerds can't give us spoilers anymore

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Haven't posted in here for years, but it's great all you book nerds can't give us spoilers anymore

When that show first came out, I was bugging my niece so bad for spoilers (I love spoilers) she posted this on my FB page.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Just rewatched the last ep of S06...pretty epic. Can't wait for tonight.

Apparently they have decided to turn Sansa into an idiot this season.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I've gotten rid of cable since the last time it aired. My question is this - is the whole season on HBO Now (like how Netflix puts a whole season of Orange is the New Black out at once) or do I have to wait each week? I'm thinking about signing up for the free trial and binge watching.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I've gotten rid of cable since the last time it aired. My question is this - is the whole season on HBO Now (like how Netflix puts a whole season of Orange is the New Black out at once) or do I have to wait each week? I'm thinking about signing up for the free trial and binge watching.
    I don't know. We got rid of cable and do Amazon Firestick. There are youtube videos that show how to load Kododo then load Exodus. We are able to get GoT livestreamed for free. Alternately I'm sure you can watch the day after on fmovies.to.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I don't know. We got rid of cable and do Amazon Firestick. There are youtube videos that show how to load Kododo then load Exodus. We are able to get GoT livestreamed for free. Alternately I'm sure you can watch the day after on fmovies.to.
    Cool, thanks! I just found it at your link. I already have a Roku so I don't want a Firestick but I heard they're pretty neat. I do have a smart tv, though and now I know where to go to stream it for Mr Animal. He will not watch anything on the computer except maybe a short tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    No, they come out on hbo now, at the same time they air, weekly sunday nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Apparently they have decided to turn Sansa into an idiot this season.
    She's pretty much always been one.

Did Arya's eyebrows grow?

Just watched episode 3 season 7.

Pretty cool. Loved the Tyrell ending where she lets Jamie know it was her who poisoned Geoffrey. Cool to see Jorah back in the mix h/t Tarley.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

I won't be satisfied until I see the imp ride a dragon.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Lady Olenna was played by a tremendous actor. puts Meryl Streep to shame. the brits definitely have monopolized in that department

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    Lady Olenna was played by a tremendous actor. puts Meryl Streep to shame. the brits definitely have monopolized in that department
    In her younger years

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3698.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	5812

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast