Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sessions to rescind Cole Memo that kept feds out of legal marijuana states

I sure am glad dannno is here to set the record strait. 70 years huh? You don't happen to have a 70 year old quote handy do you dannno?
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I sure am glad dannno is here to set the record strait. 70 years huh? You don't happen to have a 70 year old quote handy do you dannno?

I know, right?

I like dannno. He's kinda quirky and often a bit strange, but he ads color to this place and has always struck me as a nice and mostly intelligent kind of guy. But his obsequious Trumplove and delusional belief that Trump is gonna put Hillary in prison and strike other major blows against the so-called deep state is long past the point of ridiculous, IMO.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Yes, but there is not an example that anybody has shown me that comes anywhere close to this, it doesn't make any logical sense at all to think that he held these views for 70 years and now he changed his mind when there is ZERO indication that he has changed his mind.

You think he changed his mind because he brought Sessions in, when him bringing Sessions in had NOTHING to do with that issue.
    That may very well be... it could be said that Sessions took the initiative on his own, but surely Trump was aware of JS's views on the subject, but didn't know he would act on them.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    At least he used the caveat "reported". It's past time for everyone to question at all times anything said by the media. No more "anonymous officials say".
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Not really a press release...

two people with knowledge of the decision told The Associated Press
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Jeff Sessions should be fired. He hasn't gone after Hillary but instead does this. He has been nothing but disaster.

Here's the actual memo released this afternoon. Can't find a cut and pasteable version:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3684...ana#from_embed
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 01-04-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Jan2017

Exceptions listed in the Cole memo have not been prosecuted is the best way I can try to read into this -
    the biggest state population added to recreational states, and 21 states are medical only, etc.

California began allowing the sale of recreational marijuana on Monday, joining Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Nevada.
    Massachusetts and possibly Maine are expected to begin sales this year.

“Today’s memo on federal marijuana enforcement simply directs all U.S. attorneys to use previously established prosecutorial principles
    that provide them all the necessary tools to disrupt criminal organizations, tackle the growing drug crisis, and thwart violent crime across our country,” he said.

At his confirmation hearing in January, Sessions said he saw some value in how the Obama administration evaluated whether to spend resources on prosecuting marijuana cases in states that had legalized the drug.
    “I won’t commit to never enforcing federal law,” he said, “but absolutely it’s a problem of resources for the federal government.”

Still, he suggested, there was legitimate criticism that prosecutors may have shied away from potential cases that
    they should have brought under the exceptions listed in the Cole memo.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/u...secutions.html

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Jeff Sessions should be fired. He hasn't gone after Hillary but instead does this. He has been nothing but disaster.
    Yep. Time for him to go.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The only good thing about Sessions is his position on illegal aliens, I've said he was no good since almost the beginning.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Do you have a 70 year old quote handy to the contrary?

My point was he has been consistent for 70 years with no contrary statements, it is something he has spoken out about decades ago as well as recently and there is absolutely no indication that he believes anything different.

I think that people who think Trump picked Sessions because of his stance on cannabis are extremely uninformed or insane. I am pretty sure that issue was furthest from Trump's mind when he picked Sessions, probably not even considered at all and certainly not a reason why he picked him.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The SCOTUS ruling about NJ sports gambling, due by June, will have implications on a lot of state's rights issues, including mj.

See:
    https://nypost.com/2017/12/04/suprem...orts-gambling/

The Supreme Court on Monday appeared willing to lift a federal ban on sports betting.

In a case closely watched by at least 32 states, New Jersey told the high court that Congress overstepped its authority when it banned states in 1992 from taking bets on sports.

For the states, the allure of sports gambling is obvious: more than $150 billion is wagered each year on sports, according to the American Gaming Association.

Cash-strapped states would love to get their hands on some of that loot.
    Sessions may be ramping up one last smash and grab of growers and dispensaries before SCOTUS invalidates the Feds authority to ban things at the state level. Worth watching.

(Bigger picture is that as global dollar reserve dies, mass money printing slows and can no longer export the inflation, states must look for more tax revenue avenues. The proceeds of a legalized mj market would likely outweigh the proceeds of continued prohibition.)
    Last edited by devil21; 01-04-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Thread of the year, and it hasn't even been a week yet.

When sessions was appointed, the trumpettes were telling everyone that this was some sort of super-duper multidimensional chess move, which was somehow part of draining the swamp, and that sessions somehow was good for Liberty. And of course, it would be easy for the authoritarian idol to fire him anytime, since telling a lot of people "you're fired" indicated that trump was a good candidate because that made him an "alpha male". Please, trumpettes, could you explain these things to everyone again? Could you please also explain just exactly how not firing sessions is going to "maga"? I must be really confused, because this news seems to me like it would be really bad for Liberty.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]Exceptions listed in the Cole memo have not been prosecuted is the best way I can try to read into this -
    the biggest state population added to recreational states, and 21 states are medical only, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/u...secutions.html
    I'm pretty sure what Sessions realistically wants to do here is make it so they can prosecute a drug cartel who opens up a legal weed store or some such.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Thread of the year, and it hasn't even been a week yet.

When sessions was appointed, the trumpettes were telling everyone that this was some sort of super-duper multidimensional chess move, which was somehow part of draining the swamp, and that sessions somehow was good for Liberty. And of course, it would be easy for the authoritarian idol to fire him anytime, since telling a lot of people "you're fired" indicated that trump was a good candidate because that made him an "alpha male". Please, trumpettes, could you explain these things to everyone again? Could you please also explain just exactly how not firing sessions is going to "maga"? I must be really confused, because this news seems to me like it would be really bad for Liberty.
    I think you are completely insane or do not comprehend the scope of the current legal cannabis industry if you think the Feds are going to go on mass arrests of legal retailers in legal states that are not connected with cartels or organized crime.

I have a lot more stake in this than you, I have been toking daily for 15 years and I have been growing herb for over a decade and am chomping at the bit to get into the legal market here in CA..

If anything this will speed up legalization at the federal level.

Even for cannabis' sake, I am glad Trump beat Hillary. For pretty much everything else, we can thank Jesus Trump was elected and not Hillary (especially foreign policy..)
    Last edited by dannno; 01-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Jan2017

I'm pretty sure what Sessions realistically wants to do here is make it so they can prosecute a drug cartel who opens up a legal weed store or some such.
    originally . . .
    Eric Holder Says DOJ Will Let Washington, Colorado Marijuana Laws Go Into Effect

Deputy Attorney General James Cole also issued a three-and-a-half page memo to U.S. attorneys across the country.
    “The Department’s guidance in this memorandum ...

According to the guidance, DOJ will still prosecute individuals or entities to prevent:

• the distribution of marijuana to minors;
    • revenue from the sale of marijuana from going to criminal enterprises, gangs and cartels;
    • the diversion of marijuana from states where it is legal under state law in some form to other states;
    • state-authorized marijuana activity from being used as a cover or pretext for the trafficking of other illegal drugs or other illegal activity;
    • (Others)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_3837034.html
    Last edited by Jan2017; 01-04-2018 at 03:17 PM.

So how does that make sessions good for Liberty? Why is him doing that good for Liberty? I must really be confused, as that seems to me like a really anti-Liberty thing to do.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So how does that make sessions good for Liberty?
    I never said I was a fan of Sessions, but one reason he may turn out to be good for liberty on the whole, as others have mentioned..

Why is him doing that good for Liberty? I must really be confused, as that seems to me like a really anti-Liberty thing to do.
    I didn't say arresting cartels for opening up legal weed shops was good for liberty, but prosecuting drug cartels who are involved in other illegal activity is not the same as prosecuting otherwise law abiding citizens following their state laws regarding legal weed in states where it is legal.

If that was the concern, then it should have been noted in the OP that people who otherwise obey their state laws will be able to continue with legal weed distribution, but that drug cartels who get into the legal weed business might be prosecuted I think you would see much less of an uproar.

But the other thing you have to consider is, good for liberty "compared to what"? Compared to who Hillary would have hired?

I'm sorry, but as much as I would love a libertarian free market utopia I am always going to prefer more liberty to less liberty. You will never convince me that it is better to have less liberty.

I never said I was a fan of Sessions, but one reason he may turn out to be good for liberty on the whole, as others have mentioned..

I didn't say arresting cartels for opening up legal weed shops was good for liberty, but prosecuting drug cartels who are involved in other illegal activity is not the same as prosecuting otherwise law abiding citizens following their state laws regarding legal weed in states where it is legal.

But the other thing you have to consider is, good for liberty "compared to what"? Compared to who Hillary would have hired?

I'm sorry, but as much as I would love a libertarian free market utopia I am always going to prefer more liberty to less liberty. You will never convince me that it is better to have less liberty.
    I'm still really confused, because the trumpettes keep saying trump and sessions and the rest of his drained swamp multidimensional chess moves that result in less Liberty, actually give us more Liberty. It almost sounds like they're saying that choosing the lesser of two evils is winning, even to the point of wanting to thank Jesus for an evil because it's a lesser evil, being proud of choosing the lesser of two evils, and being really glad that they chose the lesser of two evils. I've never heard anyone thank Jesus for an evil before, so this is really confusing to me.

I'm still really confused, because the trumpettes keep saying trump and sessions and the rest of his drained swamp multidimensional chess moves that result in less Liberty, actually give us more Liberty. It almost sounds like they're saying that choosing the lesser of two evils is winning, even to the point of wanting to thank Jesus for an evil because it's a lesser evil, being proud of choosing the lesser of two evils, and being really glad that they chose the lesser of two evils. I've never heard anyone thank Jesus for an evil before, so this is really confusing to me.
    You keep saying more liberty and less liberty but you don't have $#@! to back it up.

When Obama first came into office they were raiding cannabis clubs right and left out here.

That has not been happening at all with Trump, so you need to provide some evidence for your claims.

Trump has lowered taxes, lowered spending and decreased regulations - he got us a Constitutional Supreme Court Justice. That is all more liberty. Like I said, you will NEVER convince me that it is better to have less liberty and that is exactly what you seem to be doing. Explain how it is not.

It's because they are not thanking Jesus they are thanking glorious leader for their licking. It's kind of the same kind of cult like psychology you get with people in North Korea. There are people there thanking glorious leader for sticking worms up their ass too.

This may have been a "trial balloon" announcement..(and I hope so)

But it is being soundly condemned on both sides of the aisle.

If Jeffie is really that stupid then he needs to be removed as quickly as possible,, to limit harm.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 01-04-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

You keep saying more liberty and less liberty but you don't have $#@! to back it up.

When Obama first came into office they were raiding cannabis clubs right and left out here.

That has not been happening at all with Trump, so you need to provide some evidence for your claims.

Trump has lowered taxes, lowered spending and decreased regulations - he got us a Constitutional Supreme Court Justice. That is all more liberty. Like I said, you will NEVER convince me that it is better to have less liberty and that is exactly what you seem to be doing. Explain how it is not.
    Now I'm confused even further because I haven't claimed anything, I'm only asking the trumpettes to explain their claims. That's it! I must be under a delusion! I could of sworn that someone actually thanked Jesus, since losing some freedom by the lesser of two evils is good and losing some freedom by the greater of two evils is bad.

Now I'm confused even further because I haven't claimed anything, I'm only asking the trumpettes to explain their claims. That's it! I must be under a delusion! I could of sworn that someone actually thanked Jesus, since losing some freedom by the lesser of two evils is good and losing some freedom by the greater of two evils is bad.
    Lower taxes, less spending and more Constitutional Judges on the Supreme Court is MORE freedom.

You also completely ignored the picture I posted about immigration.

You will never convince me that less freedom is better than more freedom, sorry, nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    This may have been a "trial balloon" announcement..(and I hope so)

But is is being soundly condemned on both sides of the aisle.

If Jeffie is really that stupid then he needs to be removed as quickly as possible,, to limit harm.
    But ever since his appointment, the trumpettes keep saying that sessions is some sort of an excellent multidimensional chess move that is good for Liberty. I keep getting confused because they haven't actually explained why this is so, and don't seem to have an explanation yet for why their authoritarian idol isn't firing the guy, when telling people "you're fired" was supposed to be something he was good at. Perhaps they just haven't figured out who to blame yet, or are working on a better version of their lesser of two evils argument. It just keeps getting more and more confusing, I really hope that they can explain it.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...marijuana-move

Jeffie needs to GO away. He has lost his mind (senility perhaps)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

But ever since his appointment, the trumpettes keep saying that sessions is some sort of an excellent multidimensional chess move that is good for Liberty. I keep getting confused because they haven't actually explained why this is so, and don't seem to have an explanation yet for why their authoritarian idol isn't firing the guy, when telling people "you're fired" was supposed to be something he was good at. Perhaps they just haven't figured out who to blame yet, or are working on a better version of their lesser of two evils argument. It just keeps getting more and more confusing, I really hope that they can explain it.
    Stop lying, nobody here who supports Trump really liked Sessions that much, you are now just being dishonest. The only thing people like about him is immigration and that he might prosecute some people in the deep state, both of which would result in greater liberty. Neither of which have happened.. however, he hasn't been prosecuting weed either so at this point you should probably just stfu.

The fact is your side looks worse because you have been autistically screeching about Sessions and cannabis for a year now and they haven't raided anybody.. Obama was raiding like crazy by this time. Sessions is a $#@!in angel compared to Obama when it comes to their actions in office. So instead of calling people trumpettes you should probably stfu until you have a valid argument to present.
    Last edited by dannno; 01-04-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Lower taxes, less spending and more Constitutional Judges on the Supreme Court is MORE freedom.

You also completely ignored the picture I posted about immigration.

You will never convince me that less freedom is better than more freedom, sorry, nice try.
    You seem to be implying that I am disagreeing with what you say in your first two sentences, but I have not done so.
    Again, how have I attempted to convince you that less freedom is better than more freedom? I have not made a single claim of any sort, or attempted to convince anyone of anything. I have only asked for some explanations, because I am confused.

He cant just get rid of pot. All he can do is create an underground black market industry.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast