Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to emergency room, left after 4 hours, still got billed.

Went to emergency room, left after 4 hours, still got billed.

Last month I dislocated my finger while fishing out of town(slipped on a rock), I thought it was completely broken and would need surgery. I went to the local emergency clinic and there was only about 3 people head of me. After about an hour they xrayed my finger. After another hour in my room and not seeing anyone I asked how long it would take. They said the computer was down but there were four people ahead of me. After another hour (still no one came into my room) I asked again. Still 4 people ahead of me. Another hour, still no one. Asked again, still 4 ahead of me so I left ( I had my dog out in the car and I was out of town). I drove in excruciating pain for 3 hours back to the emergency clinic where I live and got treated for a dislocated finger. Yesterday I got a bill for $200 from the clinic that didn't treat me. Ironically the bill for the clinic that DID treat me was less! I called the clinic and they won't cancel the bill.

Argghhh!

Any ever file a claim in small claims court?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hospitals keep lawyers on staff...

Are you wanting to make a point or try to not pay the bill or both?

$200? That's super cheap. Lucky you. In the communist states the bills are usually about $2k for being entered into the patient registry and the wait time is 8-12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Hospitals keep lawyers on staff...

Are you wanting to make a point or try to not pay the bill or both?
    I'm trying to not pay the bill.

Plus I'm not sure if I'll get mobility back in my finger due to the extended wait.
    Last edited by Madison320; 06-13-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Customer service is last on a long list of priorities at medical facilities. Lunch and standing around gossiping are more important than you, mundane.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post

Plus I'm not sure if I'll get mobility back in my finger due to the extended wait.

You might get out of paying, after months of pleadings, postponements, interrogatories and depositions... Maybe...

Your loss of mobility claim due to waiting isn't going anywhere, just forget about it.

You might get out of not paying, after months of pleadings, postponements, interrogatories and depositions... Maybe...

You loss of mobility claim due to waiting isn't going anywhere, just forget about it.
    He still has 9 fingers left.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Customer service is last on a long list of priorities at medical facilities. Lunch and standing around gossiping are more important than you, mundane.
    Yeah, that was one thing that especially pissed me off. When I came out of my room to see what was going on the "nurses" were kicked back gossiping. After I realized it would take hours before I'd see a doctor I asked if I could wait in my car and they laughed and said "we don't do that".

But the emergency clinic near my house was WAY better. Very professional.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is the bill for, specifically?
    Find out what they had you sign - if you signed paperwork that says you will pay to be admitted, then you're on the hook.
    It does sound like you owe for the x-ray in any case.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

You might get out of paying, after months of pleadings, postponements, interrogatories and depositions... Maybe...

Your loss of mobility claim due to waiting isn't going anywhere, just forget about it.
    I agree. It's just the principle. I'm not looking for damages, but I sure shouldn't have to pay for nothing.

I agree. It's just the principle. I'm not looking for damages, but I sure shouldn't have to pay for nothing.
    They are probably charging for the x-ray. Gotta pay for that new digital x-ray machine somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    What is the bill for, specifically?
    Find out what they had you sign - if you signed paperwork that says you will pay to be admitted, then you're on the hook.
    It does sound like you owe for the x-ray in any case.

First I got a bill for $17 from the x-ray company. Then I got a bill from the hospital ($200 for emergency center $500 for radiology). Insurance paid $300.

I agree that they took an x ray but it didn't do me any good.

It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where he couldn't rent a car. They had his reservation but they didn't have a car. Jerry said "Anybody can TAKE a reservation, it's HOLDING the reservation, that's the important part!" In my case "Anybody can TAKE an x ray it's showing it to ME that's important!"

Yeah, that was one thing that especially pissed me off. When I came out of my room to see what was going on the "nurses" were kicked back gossiping. After I realized it would take hours before I'd see a doctor I asked if I could wait in my car and they laughed and said "we don't do that".

But the emergency clinic near my house was WAY better. Very professional.
    Yeah, I had a discussion about "customer service" with a group like that one day during an all day incompetence fest at an emergency room. I did not yell or use profanity, but was probably more direct than these people were used to. We finally saw a Doctor who apparently was called in. So they had people waiting at a hospital emergency room for hours with no Doctor available?

I actually assisted the Doctor, as the nurses had left. He joked that he wanted to hire me, as the person who was supposed to help him was incompetent. I asked why he needed to be called in, he said that apparently there was a patient somewhere with "waiting room rage". Guess they have a name for people who complain. I suppose if I had yelled at them the Police would have been called.

Never question the gods of healthcare. They are above you.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, I had a discussion about "customer service" with a group like that one day during an all day incompetence fest at an emergency room. I did not yell or use profanity, but was probably more direct than these people were used to. We finally saw a Doctor who apparently was called in. So they had people waiting at a hospital emergency room for hours with no Doctor available?

I actually assisted the Doctor, as the nurses had left. He joked that he wanted to hire me, as the person who was supposed to help him was incompetent. I asked why he needed to be called in, he said that apparently there was a patient somewhere with "waiting room rage". Guess they have a name for people who complain. I suppose if I had yelled at them the Police would have been called.

Never question the gods of healthcare. They are above you.
    This is annoying but I'll probably just not pay it and take the hit on my credit. I did that with dish network when they tried to rip me off. It doesn't seem to affect your score too much. I think they're more worried that you pay real bills like your car and mortgage payments.

This is annoying but I'll probably just not pay it and take the hit on my credit. I did that with dish network when they tried to rip me off. It doesn't seem to affect your score too much. I think they're more worried that you pay real bills like your car and mortgage payments.
    If you value the credit standing of the strawman you represent, you should just pay the bill and be done with it. I don't know your debt situation but your credit card APRs could easily be jacked way up because of a collection account landing on the reports. Could cost you a lot more in the long run than just paying it now and moving on.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Me, DW and kid all went to the urgent care place down the street within weeks of each other for the same issue (strep throat) and we all got the same prescriptions.
    We are all on the same insurance. Kids bill came back with nothing owed ($10 copay), DW's bill came back with ($105 owed, showed copay as paid), my bill came back as ($300 owed, no copay showing as paid (I paid it on my CC before being treated)). We all have a set $10 copay on the urgent care visits, so I ignored them. 2 weeks later, a new bill came back for DW, showing hers as paid. New bill came for me, showing no change ($300 owed, no copay paid). Ugh, have to find time to call and bitch. The best part? The insurance is through DWs work (hospital) and the urgent care place we went to is part of her hospital group. Its all a bit insane and might be the biggest reason people want "single payer".

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Me, DW and kid all went to the urgent care place down the street within weeks of each other for the same issue (strep throat) and we all got the same prescriptions.
    We are all on the same insurance. Kids bill came back with nothing owed ($10 copay), DW's bill came back with ($105 owed, showed copay as paid), my bill came back as ($300 owed, no copay showing as paid (I paid it on my CC before being treated)). We all have a set $10 copay on the urgent care visits, so I ignored them. 2 weeks later, a new bill came back for DW, showing hers as paid. New bill came for me, showing no change ($300 owed, no copay paid). Ugh, have to find time to call and bitch. The best part? The insurance is through DWs work (hospital) and the urgent care place we went to is part of her hospital group. Its all a bit insane and might be the biggest reason people want "single payer".
    I think we'll have single payer in the next ten years. Obama successfully got health care labeled as a right when he forced insurance companies to insure people with pre-existing conditions. Now a smaller and smaller segment of the population pays for health care. It will break soon.

What worries me is I don't see how we have single payer without incredibly long waiting times.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    If you value the credit standing of the strawman you represent, you should just pay the bill and be done with it. I don't know your debt situation but your credit card APRs could easily be jacked way up because of a collection account landing on the reports. Could cost you a lot more in the long run than just paying it now and moving on.
    That's a good point. I have good credit and no debt but sometimes your credit score is used for other things like job applications and security clearances.

Depends what the bill was for. Was it for the x-ray? Well, you got the x-ray. Not much to contest about that.

You could ask to talk to the manager and threaten to post a scathing negative review on Google.

Then, if he says he still won't cancel or at least reduce the charges, you get to post a scathing negative review on Google!

I suggest sending them a sternly-worded email.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Depends what the bill was for. Was it for the x-ray? Well, you got the x-ray. Not much to contest about that.

You could ask to talk to the manager and threaten to post a scathing negative review on Google.

Then, if he says he still won't cancel or at least reduce the charges, you get to post a scathing negative review on Google!
    Yeah they took the x ray although it didn't do me much good since I never got to SEE the x ray.

It's like ordering something online and you never get it and still have to pay for it.

One other detail I never mentioned was that I assumed I was going to need surgery. After about 4 hours I asked them about surgery and they said they don't do surgery at night. That was when I decided to leave because I figured what was the point? They couldn't fix it anyway.

Yeah they took the x ray although it didn't do me much good since I never got to SEE the x ray.

It's like ordering something online and you never get it and still have to pay for it.
    Yeah, I know what you mean, and service-wise it's horrible.

But my gut feeling is that legal-wise, you don't have a case.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean, and service-wise it's horrible.

But my gut feeling is that legal-wise, you don't have a case.
    I agree.

My best advice is to call the clinic and speak to a supervisor. Explain what happened and make him an offer. I don't think you should have to pay anything but your best bet at this point would be to try to negotiate it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Where I am it is about 100 to file in claims court .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My best advice is to call the clinic and speak to a supervisor. Explain what happened and make him an offer. I don't think you should have to pay anything but your best bet at this point would be to try to negotiate it down.
    I called this morning. The supervisor was supposed to call me back. We'll see...

I called this morning. The supervisor was supposed to call me back. We'll see...
    Good luck.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Dude, don't even pay it. $200 is nothing. Credit does not even blink at that. The attention spans of Generation Z means it will be forgotten--oh wait, it's gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I bet a wheat Cent if he does that they will just say they will call him .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I bet a wheat Cent if he does that they will just say they will call him .
    I owe you a wheat cent, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast