Thread: Pentagon: US troops must get their COVID-19 vaccines ASAP,

Pentagon: US troops must get their COVID-19 vaccines ASAP,

Pentagon: US troops must get their COVID-19 vaccines ASAP

https://apnews.com/article/business-...4a7b591508e80c

Military troops must immediately begin to get the COVID-19 vaccine, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said in a memo Wednesday, ordering service leaders to “impose ambitious timelines for implementation.”

More than 800,000 service members have yet to get their shots, according to Pentagon data. And now that the Pfizer vaccine has received full approval from the Food and Drug Administration, the Defense Department is adding it to the list of required shots troops must get as part of their military service.

The Austin memo does not dictate a specific timeline for completing the vaccinations. But it says the military services will have to report regularly on their progress. A senior defense official said that Austin has made it clear to the services that he expects them to move quickly, and that this will be completed in weeks not months.

“To defend this Nation, we need a healthy and ready force,” Austin said in the memo. “After careful consultation with medical experts and military leadership, and with the support of the President, I have determined that mandatory vaccination against coronavirus disease...is necessary to protect the Force and defend the American people.”

Troops will be able to get their Pfizer shots at their bases and from their commands around the world. The Pentagon has said it has enough vaccine supply to meet demand. Individual service members may also go out and get any of the other COVID vaccines on their own.

Fulfilling the vaccine mandate, however, may be a challenge for National Guard forces who are scattered around the country, and gather just once a month for their required drills.

According to the Pentagon, there are more than 1.3 million troops on active duty and close to 800,000 in the Guard and Reserve. And, as of Aug. 18, more than 1 million active duty, Guard and Reserve service members were fully vaccinated and nearly 245,000 more had received at least one shot.

Senior military leaders have consistently pressed their forces to get vaccines through a wide range of public pleas, and via social media and other campaigns. But — as is true among the U.S. population — many service members have been reluctant.

Defense officials have said it’s critical for troops to get the vaccine because they live and work closely together and outbreaks could hamper the U.S. military’s ability to defend America.

Military officials have said they don’t have specific numbers on how many Guard troops are not yet vaccinated, and the Pentagon only provides a troop total that lumps active duty, Guard and Reserve into one statistic.

Guard officials have said all along that it is very difficult to assess how many of their citizen soldiers have gotten a vaccine. And only now will they be able to begin actually tracking the number with more precision as Guard members report to their drill weekends this fall.

Austin’s decision to mandate the vaccine fulfills a vow he made earlier this month to require it no later than mid-September, or immediately upon FDA licensure, whichever came first. His move reflects similar actions by governments and companies around the world, as nations struggle with the highly contagious delta variant that has sent U.S. cases surging to heights not seen since last fall.

Hospitalizations and deaths are increasing among the military. Over the past month, the number of service member deaths jumped from 25 to 34 – by more than a third.

“Our vaccination of the Force will save lives,” said the Austin memo. “Thank you for your focus on this critical mission.”

Members of the U.S. military are already required to get as many as 17 different vaccines, depending on where they are deployed. The requirements — which include shots for smallpox, hepatitis, polio and the flu — also provide for a number of temporary and permanent exemptions for either medical or administrative reasons.

Austin in the memo noted that the new requirement will allow for exemptions that are consistent with the current policies for all the other vaccines. Permanent exemptions include serious medical reactions to the vaccine, immune deficiencies such as HIV infection, and “evidence of existing immunity” by a serologic antibody test or “documentation of previous infection or natural infection presumed.”

There also are administrative exemptions, including one for religious reasons. The religious exemption is granted by the military services based on their policies, and it appears to be relatively rare. The decision is made by commanders based on consultation with medical personnel and chaplains.

Briefing the news media on Wednesday, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said commanders are expected to carry out the vaccine order with “skill and and a measure of compassion.” Service members who object, he said, will have the opportunity to meet with medical personnel and with their own leadership, to ensure the troops understand the risks to themselves and their teammates if they don’t take the vaccine.

Asked about specific punishments for noncompliance, Kirby said commanders have a “wide range of tools” to use. “It’s a lawful order and we fully anticipate that our troops are going to follow lawful orders,” he added.

The Navy and the Marine Corps said they have had zero religious exemption requests for other vaccines in recent years and the Air Force said there were few. The Army was not able to provide any data.

A little over half of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated with one of the country’s three options, from Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson.

The Pentagon decision only applies to the Pfizer vaccine. Moderna has also applied to the FDA for full approval of its vaccine. J&J said it hopes to do so later this year.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Seems pretty stupid to experiment with the entire military like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Seems pretty stupid to experiment with the entire military like that.
    Whoddathunk?

Just a further culling of troops that wouldn't turn their guns on American citizens. Just like the CRT bull$#@!.

This will be interesting. Something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the military won't get the shots. What will they do dishonorably dishcharge them all?

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    This will be interesting. Something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the military won't get the shots. What will they do dishonorably dishcharge them all?
    You are not gonna get those numbers unless there is a major uprising/rejection. I figure 5-7%.

I speak Pentagonese, here let me translate:

You have to get the troops sick and weaken our military so China and Russia and South America can all invade US while their military is dying of the $#@!s we gave them mwa ha ha ha ha! This is how you protect your country you turn it over to your worst enemas! (notice my typos? :P)
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Everybody will be coerced except for those lucky enough to have their exits already in the works.

A few well publicized court martials of those refusniks who also happen to be white supremists should keep people in line as well as shaping public opinion.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BELAY THAT ORDER!

Seem it's time for De Santis, Abbott, Noem, etc. to tell THEIR National Guardsmen that they answer to THEM not Biden.

Let's see if they have the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

Seem it's time for De Santis, Abbott, Noem, etc. to tell THEIR National Guardsmen that they answer to THEM not Biden.

Let's see if they have the balls.
    Don't know about Noem but DeSantis and Abbott seem to follow Trump's lead on most if not all issues, DeSantis even fashioned his baby after MAGA if I'm not mistaken.
    If Prez Trump ,as former commander-in-chief, spoke out and swung his weight against this mandate, they both will... otherwise they won't.

Prediction confidence = 95%.

Ya , I'd just ask for a discharge. Military discharges dont matter much in the real world anymore . Employers are desperate for bodies . I had three or four honorable discharges by the time I gave up on my military experience and got a job , One wouldve been enough even then.
    Do something Danke

You are not gonna get those numbers unless there is a major uprising/rejection. I figure 5-7%.
    It's at least 1/3 right now who haven't done it yet. Maybe more will if ordered to.

This sounds like the premise of a movie where a vaccine is rolled out to the military of an entire nation and then they become sick/die
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

More than 800,000 service members have yet to get their shots, according to Pentagon data.
    “To defend this Nation, we need a healthy and ready force,” Austin said in the memo.
    It sounds like there are 800,000 ready to defend America, and reject Woke Soviet Amerika.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It sounds like there are 800,000 ready to defend America, and reject Woke Soviet Amerika.
    I can't help but think there's something else in the vaccine when this insanity is going on. I got sick in early 2020 before any lockdowns and it didn't even come close to the sickest I've ever been. I've had normal colds/sinus infections 1000x worse than just having body aches all over for 12 hours.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Japan suspends 1.63 million Moderna doses over contamination

Strangely they seem to be in a rush to make sure everyone gets vaxed.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just a further culling of troops that wouldn't turn their guns on American citizens. Just like the CRT bull$#@!.
    Those that take it may not be able to turn on us.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Japan suspends 1.63 million Moderna doses over contamination

Strangely they seem to be in a rush to make sure everyone gets vaxed.
    I'll bet that mouse experiment done by John B. Calhoun has something to do with it.