Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York school bans most physical activity.

New York school bans most physical activity.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...-safety-fears/

A rash of playground injuries has prompted one Long Island, N.Y. school to ban balls and require teacher supervision for games like tag.

"Some of these injuries can unintentionally become very serious so we want to make sure our children have fun, but are also protected," Dr. Kathleen Maloney, superintendent of Port Washington Schools, told CBS New York.

The ban at Weber Middle School in Port Washington, N.Y. will apply to footballs, baseballs, soccer balls, lacrosse balls or any other equipment that might harm a child or school friends. Students will be allowed to play with softer Nerf balls.

Rough games of tag or cartwheels will require supervision from a coach, according to the report.

Children without protective gear may experience injuries ranging from bumps and scrapes to head injuries and concussions.

Play VIDEO
    Study: Kids' concussion rates skyrocketing
    The reported surge of injuries at the school may mirror statistics elsewhere in the country.

Researchers at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center reported in late September that there was a 90 percent increase in the number of children admitted to emergency rooms with sports-related head injuries over the past decade.

An August report from child safety nonprofit Safe Kids Worldwide found 1.35 million emergency room visits each year are caused by sports, the most common being strains, sprains, fractures, bruises and scrapes. Twelve percent of those visits were for concussions, with nearly half of those occurring in children between 12 and 15 years of age.

Play VIDEO
    New study on children's concussions
    Studies suggest children need longer recovery times following a concussion or they may face additional health risks.

"One of the biggest risk factors of being injured again is incomplete recovery or rehabilitation," Michael F. Bergeron, executive director of the National Youth Sports Health and Safety Institute, told CBSNews.com in September.

This week, the largest youth sports organizations in the U.S. announced the formation of the National Sports Concussion Coalition to establish best practices with experts on how to diagnose and treat young athletes with head injuries.

However, despite the safety risks, some students and parents feel like the ban is going too far.

"Cartwheels and tag -- I think it's ridiculous they are banning that," one parent said to WCBS.

"Children's safety is paramount, but at the same time, you have to let them live life," added Port Washington parent Ellen Cohen to WCBS.

One sports medicine expert points out there will always be a risk of head injuries and concussions when playing sports or other recess activities, but emphasizing the rules of safe play and using padding when possible can reduce risk.

Recess a crucial part of school day, says American Academy of Pediatrics
    "While I believe that an outright ban on the use of athletic balls during sports activities is not warranted, adequate supervision of students during recess is critical to ensure safety," Dr. Robert Glatter, director of sports medicine and traumatic brain injury at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, told CBSNews.com in an email.

CBS New York reported other school districts in the area are mulling similar bans.
    Apparently, this is all based on a study from a group called "Safe Kids Worldwide" that found 1.35 million ER visits per year are from sports. Obviously, the solution is to ban sports.
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 10-09-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ban recess.

problem solved.

BAN STUDIES
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

or....

HEY, TEACHER!..leave those kids alone....

You mean no more Smear the *****?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    You mean no more Smear the *****?
    Only with a supervisor present.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Only with a supervisor present.
    Uncle Mike?

Every child is a winner.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    ban recess.
    problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    BAN STUDIES
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    Ban children.
    Problem solved.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

If you want to play... Get a permit like any normal kid would.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Ban something, God damn it.

coming next... mandatory helmets for walking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBn7ok8pCw

ban recess.

problem solved.
    Ban School.

Problem solved...mostest betterly!

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    coming next... mandatory helmets for walking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cBn7ok8pCw
    I still refuse to wear my helmet biking. I grew up without using one, why start now?

More people die in falls around the house, than from drunk driving.

Mandatory helmet use for all persons in the home, during all waking hours.

Mandatory, government monitored, in home cameras to monitor compliance.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

You forgot the checkpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    You forgot the checkpoints.
    I did, thanks for reminding me, Comrade.

Random home inspections as well.

I understand that the bathroom is an especially dangerous place. Thereforee, all toilets should be equipped with seat restraints.
    In addition, the use of ceiling-suspended harnesses for other areas (shower/bath, etc.) should be mandatory ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Scheduled bed and meal times mandated by Homeland Security.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I understand that the bathroom is an especially dangerous place. Thereforee, all toilets should be equipped with seat restraints.
    In addition, the use of ceiling-suspended harnesses for other areas (shower/bath, etc.) should be mandatory ...
    My grandmama had those siderail thingys installed next to her toilet when she started having trouble standing up. Those should be mandatory as well to ensure safe standing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

People joke about house monitoring, but the monitoring is not too far-fetched for some. There are still people who insist that Ross Perot suggested that certain Dallas neighborhoods be cordoned off so that the police could go house-to-house looking for drugs and guns. There is no audio or video of Perot and these remarks; however, his rabid temperament and positions on drugs and order tells me it's not too far-fetched. Remember, this is the guy who got quite a few votes back in '92.

Ban something, God damn it.
    be patient.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

hold on...are you implying someone here is being sarcastical?

ban recess.

problem solved.
    Ban School and replace it with Education. Problem not solved, but it is a step toward solving the problem. Albeit a very small step.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Ban School and replace it with Education. Problem not solved, but it is a step toward solving the problem. Albeit a very small step.
    what are you, some kind of anarchist?

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Just ban thinking. It's easier that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Close all public and school bathrooms, mandate diapers for everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast