Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Impeachment attempts by Democrats is malicious prosecution

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    A term in one is, just as a lease on an apartment you don't own is also property, just as any thing of value is property.
    Can you sell it or trade it in on something?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This isn't impeachment, it isn't following the rules of impeachment, a mob voting to have a lynching isn't a trial even if it is composed of lawyers and judges.
    What rules of impeachment are not being followed?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Can you sell it or trade it in on something?
    Does it have a salary?
    Does it let you do things you can't do without it?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

What rules of impeachment are not being followed?
    I've posted plenty of articles about it already.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Does it have a salary?
    Does it let you do things you can't do without it?
    SO you can own a job at Taco Bell? That has a salary.

I've posted plenty of articles about it already.
    I see. You are yet again not able to come up with anything so are using your usual line saying you posted them already when in fact you did not. Unless you can provide us with a link.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    SO you can own a job at Taco Bell? That has a salary.
    If you get a contract.
    Or if someone tries to take it from you who hasn't the right.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I see. You are yet again not able to come up with anything so are using your usual line saying you posted them already when in fact you did not. Unless you can provide us with a link.

You already have posted in the threads, but here is one:
    Impeachment of Trump would be an unconstitutional attainder

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

You already have posted in the threads, but here is one:
    Impeachment of Trump would be an unconstitutional attainder
    In which post in that thread do you list the rules of impeachment? I can't find it.

In which post in that thread do you list the rules of impeachment? I can't find it.
    Read the posts, they detail what is being done wrong.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Read the posts, they detail what is being done wrong.
    I see. You can't find it either. Thanks for pretending to look.

I see. You can't find it either. Thanks for pretending to look.
    Just because you can't read doesn't mean it isn't there.
    People can read for themselves and I don't have to spell everything out for you over and over.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Yes there is, the Constitution doesn't exempt impeachments from it protection of the rights of the accused.
    Cool story bro.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

A former federal prosecutor who sits on the committee tasked by Democrats with removing President Donald Trump from office blasted Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., as being unfit to oversee the process. Rep. John Ratcliffe, R-Tex., told The Federalist on Friday that Schiff’s problem isn’t mere partisan political bias, it’s that Schiff has a conflict of interest given his secret interactions with the anti-Trump whistleblower before his false complaint against Trump was even submitted.
    “It’s more than just bias—it’s an actual legal conflict of interest,” Ratcliffe told The Federalist. “Schiff is using his authority as a Chairman presiding over an impeachment inquiry to prevent the investigation and discovery of facts about his own actions or the actions of his staff.”
    “He is essentially a witness in the trial over which he is presiding,” Ratcliffe continued. “He has a conflict of interest because his testimony is relevant to the origins of the impeachment process that he is simultaneously conducting, directing and managing.”
    Although Schiff initially claimed that he and his staff had never interacted with the anti-Trump complainant and didn’t even know who he was, the New York Times reported that the whistleblower secretly coordinated with Schiff’s Democratic staff, who then urged him to file a complaint against the president.
    “The person who planted fake evidence shouldn’t be the one ruling on the admissibility of fake evidence,” Ratcliffe said on Friday.
    “Despite initially denying any contact with the whistleblower, Schiff had already been briefed about at least one meeting between his staff and that individual prior to the filing of the complaint,” Ratcliffe said. “Material facts about the date, nature and extent of that meeting as well as any other contacts, communication or possible coordination between Chairman Schiff, his staff and the whistleblower were never disclosed by any of those parties to ICIG Michael Atkinson—facts confirmed in the sworn testimony of ICIG Atkinson which Chairman Schiff is refusing to release.”
    Testimony by Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) Michael Atkinson revealed that the whistleblower, whom Real Clear Investigations has identified as former National Security Council (NSC) staffer and current Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) analyst Eric Ciaramella, concealed his contacts with Schiff from the ICIG in his complaint form. If the anti-Trump complainant did, in fact, refuse to disclose previous disclosures of his allegations to Congress or the news media, he could be subject to felony criminal penalties for making false statements. The final portion of the whistleblower form requires whistleblowers to attest under penalty of perjury that they have neither misstated nor concealed material facts in their complaints.
    “I certify that all of the statements made in this complaint (including any continuation pages) are true, complete, and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief,” whistleblowers are required to attest under penalty of perjury. “I understand that, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 1001, a false statement or concealment of a material fact is a criminal offense punishable by a fine of up to $10,000, imprisonment for up to five years, or both.”
    Schiff has refused to detail the breadth of his interactions with the anti-Trump complainant or explain why he lied about his staff’s collusion with the complainant. Ratcliffe told The Federalist that Schiff’s behavior was an “outrageous offense to legal due process.”
    “Chairman Schiff has likewise refused to allow any inquiry by Republicans into these material facts which may bear on the credibility and motivation of the whistleblower and perhaps Chairman Schiff,” Ratcliffe said. “Republicans have been and continue to be deprived of the ability to investigate these material facts which can only be ascertained from the sworn testimony of Chairman Schiff, his staff and the whistleblower.”
    “Chairman Schiff is a material fact witness in the same impeachment inquiry that Democrats have authorized him to preside over,” Ratcliffe continued. “It’s an outrageous offense to legal due process and any standard of fairness.”

More at: https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/01...orrupt-process

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Impeachment isn't a Grand Jury
    But you said it was similar to one: "Impeachment in the House is a judicial proceeding like a Grand Jury indictment"

and has more requirements
    The only requirements specified by the Constitution are that the House has the sole power of impeachment, the Senate has the sole power to remove a person from office following an impeachment, and the Chief Justice presides during the Senate proceedings.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

A term in one is, just as a lease on an apartment you don't own is also property, just as any thing of value is property.
    Bad analogy. If you really want to compare a presidential term to a lease, the lease would have to contain a provision allowing the landlord to evict the tenant if the landlord determines he has violated the lease. That is analogous to the power of Congress to impeach and remove a president. The landlord's determination doesn't have to comport with due process, but a court can determine whether the tenant did, in fact, violate the lease. In an impeachment context, that determination is made by the Senate. But the initial recommendation to remove (i.e., the impeachment) isn't subject to due process, and you have failed miserably to cite any legal support for the claim that it does.

Whether the Senate proceedings must comply with the same procedural rules as a civil trial is an open question, but it's premature to adress that issue because Trump hasn't been impeached yet.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Yes there is, the Constitution doesn't exempt impeachments from it protection of the rights of the accused.
    There's not need to make an exemption for impeachment, since the very wording of the 5th, 6th, and 7th Amendments, where the rights of accused are explicated, limit their applicability in every case to criminal and civil prosecutions, and have nothing at all to do with impeachment. If you think they do apply to impeachment, then you might as well say that when someone is a candidate for some office, they have a right to a fair trial by the voters who vote for or against them and that their rights are violated if any of those voters choose to take into account things that wouldn't be admissible as evidence in a criminal trial.

In impeachment, the Constitution doesn't even allow any punishment to be given beyond removal from office. That is left for whatever potential criminal trial might take place after that. And it would be in that trial that those amendments would come into play.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 11-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Bad analogy. If you really want to compare a presidential term to a lease, the lease would have to contain a provision allowing the landlord to evict the tenant if the landlord determines he has violated the lease. That is analogous to the power of Congress to impeach and remove a president. The landlord's determination doesn't have to comport with due process, but a court can determine whether the tenant did, in fact, violate the lease. In an impeachment context, that determination is made by the Senate. But the initial recommendation to remove (i.e., the impeachment) isn't subject to due process, and you have failed miserably to cite any legal support for the claim that it does.

Whether the Senate proceedings must comply with the same procedural rules as a civil trial is an open question, but it's premature to adress that issue because Trump hasn't been impeached yet.
    The landlord isn't a branch of Government, Congress IS bound by due process, nothing in the Constitution exempts impeachment from due process requirements.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    There's not need to make an exemption for impeachment, since the very wording of the 5th, 6th, and 7th Amendments, where the rights of accused are explicated, limit their applicability in every case to criminal and civil prosecutions, and have nothing at all to do with impeachment. If you think they do apply to impeachment, then you might as well say that when someone is a candidate for some office, they have a right to a fair trial by the voters who vote for or against them and that their rights are violated if any of those voters choose to take into account things that wouldn't be admissible as evidence in a criminal trial.

In impeachment, the Constitution doesn't even allow any punishment to be given beyond removal from office. That is left for whatever potential criminal trial might take place after that. And it would be in that trial that those amendments would come into play.
    An impeachment is a criminal prosecution.
    "High CRIMES and MISDEMEANORS"

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Filing frivolous legal claims in order to harass and defame someone is malicious prosecution.

https://injury.findlaw.com/torts-and...osecution.html

There actually is a legal term for witch hunt.
    Not saying I agree, but at least this makes more sense then the nonsensical "bill of attainder" claim by @Swordsmyth. Malicous prosecution requires a prosecution...which is not where we are yet but we're headed that way. A bill of attainder is punishment without prosecution.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Not saying I agree, but at least this makes more sense then the nonsensical "bill of attainder" claim by @Swordsmyth. Malicous prosecution requires a prosecution...which is not where we are yet but we're headed that way. A bill of attainder is punishment without prosecution.
    It's both.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It's both.
    LOL. It can't be. They are mutually exclusive. Malicious prosecution requires that there be a prosecution. Bill of attainder is punishment without a prosecution. This is like trying to charge someone with attempted murder and murder of the same person at the same time.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL. It can't be. They are mutually exclusive. Malicious prosecution requires that there be a prosecution. Bill of attainder is punishment without a prosecution. This is like trying to charge someone with attempted murder and murder of the same person at the same time.
    An attainder is punishment without a TRIAL, we have a rogue prosecution without a trial that is intended to harm Trump.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

An attainder is punishment without a TRIAL, we have a rogue prosecution without a trial that is intended to harm Trump.
    Ummm...WITHOUT A TRIAL THERE IS NO PROSECUTION!

I shouldn't have to expound on this, but I will. Right now there is an investigation. Ultimately there will be an impeachment, which is the same as an indictment. The "trial" happens in the Senate. So yes, Trump will have a trial.

An impeachment is a criminal prosecution.
    "High CRIMES and MISDEMEANORS"
    No it isn't. High crimes and misdemeanors include any kind of misconduct Congress deems worthy of impeachment, regardless of its criminality under statutory law.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_c...d_misdemeanors

And if an impeachment is for some violation of statutory law, the Constitution explicitly restricts the power of Congress to removal from office. The criminal prosecution of that crime would require an additional criminal trial. And this would not be double jeopardy precisely because the hearings in Congress leading to removal from office would not have been that.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 11-11-2019 at 05:30 PM.

No it isn't. High crimes and misdemeanors include any kind of misconduct Congress deems worthy of impeachment, regardless of its criminality under statutory law.

And if an impeachment is for some violation of statutory law, the Constitution explicitly restricts the power of Congress to removal from office. The criminal prosecution of that crime would require an additional criminal trial. And this would not be double jeopardy precisely because the hearings in Congress leading to removal from office would not have been that.
    It's still a criminal prosecution even if Congress is restricted in the punishments it can hand out for the crimes involved.
    Impeachment is not exempt from the rights of the accused.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Ummm...WITHOUT A TRIAL THERE IS NO PROSECUTION!

I shouldn't have to expound on this, but I will. Right now there is an investigation. Ultimately there will be an impeachment, which is the same as an indictment. The "trial" happens in the Senate. So yes, Trump will have a trial.
    We don't have an investigation, Congress may and does investigate without an impeachment, we have a pseudo impeachment which is like an indictment which is part of a prosecution that precedes a trial, if a prosecutor tried to harass someone with indictments it would be malicious prosecution.
    Because this impeachment isn't following the rules of impeachment and is violating Trump's rights it is harming him before any Senate trial (if the Senate ever holds one instead of rejecting it as phony).
    It is both.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

We don't have an investigation, Congress may and does investigate without an impeachment, we have a pseudo impeachment which is like an indictment which is part of a prosecution that precedes a trial, if a prosecutor tried to harass someone with indictments it would be malicious prosecution.
    Because this impeachment isn't following the rules of impeachment and is violating Trump's rights it is harming him before any Senate trial (if the Senate ever holds one instead of rejecting it as phony).
    It is both.
    Nope. It may be a malicious prosecution. It's not a bill of attainder. You are like that stupid guy on "In Living Color" that used big words he didn't understand. Ultimately there will be an impeachment which is the same as a preliminary hearing. Then Trump will be tried in the Republican controlled Senate. Then he will not be removed. None of the prongs of a "bill of attainder" will have been satisfied. You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Maybe the next Democrat President will be impeached for child molestation regardless of facts and a movement started to elect officials who will do it. The Congress can pass a law saying the next Democrat President will have no Secret Service protection and become a registered sex offender.

You might dismiss this but you SMUGFACES never thought Donald Trump would be President.

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post
    Maybe the next Democrat President will be impeached for child molestation regardless of facts and a movement started to elect officials who will do it. The Congress can pass a law saying the next Democrat President will have no Secret Service protection and become a registered sex offender.
    That actually would be a bill of attainder. You did a good job of illustrating the difference between that and impeachment.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast