Thread: Shampoo Containing Brittle Bones Drug Allegedly 'Triggers Hair Growth.'

Shampoo Containing Brittle Bones Drug Allegedly 'Triggers Hair Growth.'

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...ir-growth.html
    https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...d-for-baldness
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/623885...-cure-shampoo/

Shampooing with a drug designed to treat brittle bones could help cure baldness within days, research suggests.

Scientists found the therapy promotes speedy sprouting of hair in lab tests.

It works by blocking a naturally occurring protein that kills off growth and plays a key role in male baldness.

Experts are “optimistic” the treatment, known as WAY-316606, could one day help millions of men.

Researchers found the drug, originally developed for osteoporosis, boosted growth from human hair follicles in just two days.

They now hope to carry out clinical trials on men with thinning patches.

Lead researcher Dr. Nathan Hawkshaw, from Manchester University, said: “The fact this new agent, which had never even been considered in a hair loss context, promotes human hair growth is exciting because of its translational potential: it could one day make a real difference to people who suffer from hair loss. I’m very optimistic it could work.

"In lab tests, the drug started promoting growth in hair follicles in just two days — that’s pretty quick," he noted.

“We are looking at using it as a topical treatment, a gel or shampoo, that could reach the follicle.”

Partial Quote of Fox News article posted.

---

Just like many other diseases, the industry does not make money by curing baldness, they make money by keeping men bald, just like they make money on keeping sick people sick.

From a medical standpoint, Im not sure, Im not a doctor, but it sort of makes sense the way they describe it, but, that is ALWAYS the trap to make more money as it tends to be more Marketing than Medical.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ask yourself what else that protein does, and whether blocking it is a good idea to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    , the industry does not make money by curing baldness, they make money by keeping men bald...
    "Keeping men bald?" Yeah must be a conspiracy.
    From a medical standpoint, Im not sure, Im not a doctor, but it sort of makes sense the way they describe it, but, that is ALWAYS the trap to make more money as it tends to be more Marketing than Medical.
    Making money isn't evil. The people that have been selling Rogain, implants and Propecia for decades are no doubt freaking out because suddenly their system just lost value.

And they'll be working like dogs to come up with something that's even more effective than this new treatment. That's how competition works to bring down price while improving efficiency. Just because science isn't socialized and/or advancing fast enough to suit you doesn't mean there are conspiracies to hide effective treatments from the population.

Every researcher on Earth would love to be known as the guy who cured cancer. Or even baldness. And every drug company would love to cure the disease their biggest competitor profits the most from.

If we had not found that Scurvy was simply a Vitamin C deficiency, the US Business Model would be "waging war on scurvy" with the most ineffective results possible. The researchers may have a true desire to cure the disease, but the business model says the exact opposite. Truly effective treatments are far too often suppressed in favor of money. Its how we use money that makes it "evil". By itself it isnt evil, but the way it is used far too often is evil.

Goldman Sachs asks in biotech research report: 'Is curing patients a sustainable business model?' - CNBC
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/gold...ess-model.html

And yes, I am considering both the source of CNBC and Goldman Sachs to be tainted information.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Does insurance cover hair growth products and procedures?

Hopefully they don't.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Hopefully they don't.
    US it doesnt, it not "medically necessary". News source is UK tho so Im not sure if it is covered there or not. Odds are probably not, but Im not 100% on that either.
    1776 > 1984

It was tested on existing human follicles (not actually on people's heads yet) so may not work where you have no hairs- like minoxidil. Perhaps like minoxidil, when you stop using it, the effect ends and you go back to your "normal" hair.

Hopefully they don't.
    I don't know if it's accurate or not (but I wouldn't be shocked if it is), and I don't remember where I encountered it (via one of John Stossel's reports, maybe?), but I recall hearing years ago that many states mandate that a slew of certain items must be covered by any insuror offering policies within those states. Among the examples cited were mandated coverage for hysterectomies (even for male insureds) and male pattern baldness (even for female insureds) - meaning, for example, that if you were male and you bought insurance in such a state, then you had no choice but to pay for a policy that covered hysterectomy.

Apparently, the purpose of such rules was two-fold: (1) to subsidize "favored" medical treatments/procedures, and (2) to suppress competition in the insurance market by forcing would-be insurors to be able to meet the expenses attendant upon covering a wide range of conditions (something that already-established insurors could do much more easily than new ones just getting started). This has the (intended) effect of concentrating market share in the hands of larger insurance companies (who, of course, lobbied for or supported such rules) while making it impossible for anyone - especially smaller insurors - to offer "customized" policies tailored to the actual wants and needs of individual insureds.

Anyway, if I remember all this correctly, male pattern baldness was one of the conditions some states mandate coverage for. If this is correct and you live in one of those states, then the answer to your question is not only "yes," but "yes ... and what's more, it's required - even if you don't want or need it ..."
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Hopefully they don't.
    I don't think so.

And just why in the hell would I want to "treat" my 5" part?

I wonder if it also makes your skull thicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    If we had not found that Scurvy was simply a Vitamin C deficiency, the US Business Model would be "waging war on scurvy" with the most ineffective results possible. .
    More ridiculous. 30 years ago, having an ulcer meant a lifetime of bland food and medication before each meal. Then one of those evil corporate scientists discovered an antibiotic that cured them, and that ended that.

Again, just because medical technology isn't advancing as fast as you think it should doesn't mean it isn't advancing.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    More ridiculous. 30 years ago, having an ulcer meant a lifetime of bland food and medication before each meal. Then one of those evil corporate scientists discovered an antibiotic that cured them, and that ended that.

Again, just because medical technology isn't advancing as fast as you think it should doesn't mean it isn't advancing.
    All I was trying to say is that the areas the Medical Industry is advancing is in places where major profits can be made. The more expensive the treatment, the more likely that the industry will advance in those fields.
    1776 > 1984