Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross Perot dead at 89 years old

Unhappy Ross Perot dead at 89 years old

If only he had won the Presidency our world would be in a much better place. If I had been old enough at the time I would have voted for him.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2019/07/09/ross-perot-self-made-billionaire-patriot-philanthropist-dies-89
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RIP

I loved his voodoo stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

RIP my former boss, I will remember all of the good times down in Plano :-)

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

I was a dumb young man when he first ran and was not a fan. Looking back with wiser eyes, he might not have been perfect and would have been probably run over by the deep state, but I believe he would have changed a great many things for the better if he would have won
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Ross Perot, billionaire former presidential candidate, has died at age 89
    July 9, 2019

Perot died in Texas, the state where he was born, surrounded by family.

"Mr. Perot was a true patriot and a dedicated humanitarian. He will be missed greatly," Ross Mulford of Petrus Asset Management Company said in a statement.

In 1992, Perot made a name for himself when he became the most successful non-major party presidential candidate in 80 years, amassing 19 percent of the popular vote, running against President George H.W. Bush and Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton.

As a boy in Texarkana, Texas, Perot delivered newspapers from the back of a pony. He earned his billions in a more modern way, however — by building Electronic Data Systems Corp., which helped other companies manage their computer networks.

Yet the most famous event in his career didn't involve sales and earnings; he financed a private commando raid in 1979 to free two EDS employees who were being held in a prison in Iran. The tale was turned into a book and a movie.

Perot first became known to Americans outside of business circles by claiming that the U.S. government left behind hundreds of American soldiers who were missing or imprisoned at the end of the Vietnam War. Perot fanned the issue at home and discussed it privately with Vietnamese officials in the 1980s, angering the Reagan administration, which was formally negotiating with Vietnam's government.

Perot's wealth, fame and confident prescription for the nation's economic ills propelled his 1992 campaign against President George H.W. Bush and Democratic challenger Bill Clinton. Some Republicans blamed him for Bush's lost to Clinton as Perot garnered the largest percentage of votes for a third-party candidate since former President Theodore Roosevelt's 1912 bid.

During the campaign, Perot spent $63.5 million of his own money and bought up 30-minute television spots. He used charts and graphs to make his points, summarizing them with a line that became a national catchphrase: "It's just that simple."

Former President George W. Bush called Perot a patriot.

"Texas and America have lost a strong patriot," Bush said in a statement. "Ross Perot epitomized the entrepreneurial spirit and the American creed. He gave selflessly of his time and resources to help others in our community, across our country, and around the world. He loved the U.S. military and supported our service members and veterans. Most importantly, he loved his dear wife, children, and grandchildren. Laura and I send our heartfelt condolences to the entire Perot family as they celebrate a full life."

...Perot's ideas on trade and deficit reduction remained part of the political landscape. He blamed both major parties for running up a huge federal budget deficit and letting American jobs to be sent to other countries. The movement of U.S. jobs to Mexico, he said, created a "giant sucking sound."

Perot continued to speak out about federal spending for many years. In 2008, he launched a website to highlight the nation's debt with a ticker that tracked the rising total, a blog and a chart presentation.
    More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ross-pe...ed-2019-07-09/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

RIP he was the Best Candidate in 92!

RIP. Has Ron ever talked about Ross Perot?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Step into the time machine and see the first debate...

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    If only he had won the Presidency our world would be in a much better place. If I had been old enough at the time I would have voted for him.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2019/07/09/ross-perot-self-made-billionaire-patriot-philanthropist-dies-89
    I agree and voted for him. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Step into the time machine and see the first debate...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane... truly worth the watch.

One thing then that stands true now - most people look to government to solve their problems, because they more than usually ask themselves the wrong the questions.

Much like the Indians in another thread, you sell your soul (or your property) and believe that there is no accountability. Now that government has grown so exponentially large, there is little ability by the people to hold it back.

I was just a youngin' back then and not involved in politics at all, but I loved this guy.
    He definitely captured my attention. Something no other politician ever did when I was at that age.

RIP Ross Perot

Perot could have won if he had run in the GOP primary.

Perot could have won if he had run in the GOP primary.
    Perot's second campaign four years later was far less successful. He was shut out of presidential debates when organizers said he lacked sufficient support. He got just 8% of the vote, and the Reform Party that he founded and hoped to build into a national political force began to fall apart.

He would have been steamrolled like Ron Paul. Along the way, and down in Tampa.

Party politics is not the answer; changing the hearts and minds of the American people is.
    Last edited by PAF; 07-09-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    RIP.
    I thought he was crazy. (was not old enough to vote), because that's what my tv said, and that's what all the kids in school said.

A real missed chance for America.

Even so, him talking about America needing to make tangible items always stuck with me.

Perot’s VP pick (Stockdale) had a hard time with debating and public speaking. It was not his profession.

Here’s a fair discussion featuring Doug Wead:

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    He would have been steamrolled like Ron Paul. Along the way, and down in Tampa.

Party politics is not the answer; changing the hearts and minds of the American people is.
    That quote is about his second run. He had no chance the second time. Some of the media (Larry King) liked and covered Perot. He could have won the Primary the first time he ran. Bush was not popular.

Ron ran in the GOP primary. He would have had zero coverage without that. Trump also learned that lesson from the Perot run.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 07-09-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Perot was ahead in the polls and sabotaged himself by dropping out in July, only to return in October. If he had not done that I think he would have won.

People felt his excuse that the Bush's were trying to sabotage his daughters wedding was not good enough. The Bush's probably were but you stay in and fight them.

How the media covered it below.

Perot Charges Plot Forced Him Out; 'Loony,' GOP Says : Campaign: He accuses Bush camp of plan to smear daughter and disrupt her wedding, and says he quit race to protect her. Texan offers no proof for allegations.
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...761-story.html
    Independent presidential candidate Ross Perot accused President Bush's campaign Sunday of plotting to fake a photograph to smear his youngest daughter, of conspiring to disrupt her wedding and of hiring an ex-CIA employee to wiretap his computerized stock trading program and ruin him.

Perot said the plotting was the real reason he dropped out of the campaign for 11 weeks. He said he wanted to spare his daughter, Caroline, the pain that such dirty tricks could cause. After her wedding in August, Perot said, he told her what he had done. He said she replied: "Get back into the race." He did, on Oct. 1.
    Last edited by kahless; 07-09-2019 at 12:11 PM.

That quote is about his second run. He had no chance the second time. Some of the media (Larry King) liked and covered Perot. He could have won the Primary the first time he ran. Bush was not popular.
    The duopoly would not have permitted that. Which is why Ross ran third party.

Ron ran in the GOP primary. He would have had zero coverage without that. Trump also learned that lesson from the Perot run.

Unfortunately, so did the "2-party" system. Thus trump.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Uh no..... the "educating everyone" route is a guaranteed way to fail.

One doesn't have to be involved in party politics in order to win, but trying to educate others on the issues is a losing strategy.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Perot on the issues (according to the Heritage Foundation): https://www.heritage.org/budget-and-...economic-plans

Among the central features of the Perot plan:

Spending Cuts. Perot claims that over five years he will cut at least $352 billion, including $141 billion through Medicare and Medicaid reform, $108 billion in wasteful spending and programs, $50 billion in farm and other subsidies, and $40 billion in defense.

Tax Hikes. Perot over five years would raise $408 billion in new revenue, including $158 billion with a 50 cent per gallon increase in the gasoline tax, $72.9 billion by limiting mortgage interest deductions, $66 billion through higher taxes on Medicare and higher premium payments, $33 billion through a hike in the top individual tax rate from 31 percent to 33 percent, and $30 billion by increasing from 50 percent to 85 percent the share of Social Security benefits for better off recipients subject to taxes.

Tax Cuts for Businesses. Perot would reduce the capital gains tax for long-term investments and eliminate it on small business, and change the tax code to stimulate investment. He also favors investment tax credits and the research and development tax credit.

Anti-Trust Reform. Perot calls for amendments to the 1890 Sherman Anti-Trust Act, which restricts cooperation between American enterprises facing foreign competition. This is an especially welcome proposal -- one not found among the proposals of the other candidates.

Environmental Regulation. While denouncing "overregulation" of the economy by the government, Perot surprisingly advocates a massive increase in federal government control of the economy in the name of ill-defined environmental concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Perot was a head in the polls and sabotaged himself by dropping out in July, only to return in October. If he had not done that I think he would have won.

People felt his excuse that the Bush's were trying to sabotage his daughters wedding was not good enough. The Bush's probably were but you stay in and fight them.

Perot Charges Plot Forced Him Out; 'Loony,' GOP Says : Campaign: He accuses Bush camp of plan to smear daughter and disrupt her wedding, and says he quit race to protect her. Texan offers no proof for allegations.
    You are correct that pretty much did him in.

Even if he hadn't done that though, I don't know that an independent run would overcome the advantage of the two party system.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Perot was a head in the polls and sabotaged himself by dropping out in July, only to return in October. If he had not done that I think he would have won.

Perot led only one month's polls. He was declining when he withdrew. Some blamed Perot for Clinton getting elected. Others blame Bush's "Read my lips- No New Taxes" pledge failure. Or the 1991 recession- unemployment peaked at 7.7% in June of 1992.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...t-did-not.html
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-09-2019 at 12:43 PM.

We can always depend on Zippy to give us the establishment perspective. It was as predictable as the sun rising that you would come here to s*** in this thread.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Perot led only one month's polls. He was declining when he withdrew.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...t-did-not.html
    The Gallop poll shows he was one point behind Bush and ahead of Clinton. The two other June polls he was ahead of both of them. That is pretty good for a 3rd party candidate.

The Pew Research poll that month had Perot ahead in ages 25-49 and 65+. He tied Bush with ages 50-65 and was behind Bush by 2 points for 18-24. Remove Blacks from 18-24 and he was ahead. If you remove blacks completely from the poll Perot was way ahead of Bush and Clinton when he dropped out.

https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-conte...f/19920708.pdf

I am guessing the news media hyping the "you people" comment early that month hurt him with blacks in the June polls.

My dad worked on his campaign in Delray Beach FL, was totally into him. He and I both voted for Perot. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Perot on the issues (according to the Heritage Foundation): https://www.heritage.org/budget-and-...economic-plans
    Glad you pointed that out. Perot is like Tucker Carlson, a social democrat. Right man won in hindsight. Bill froze the regulatory state. Cut the capital gains rate. Passed welfare reform. Expanded trade. And spending didn't grow very much. Not perfect but better than Bush Sr and Perot.

We can always depend on Zippy to give us the establishment perspective. It was as predictable as the sun rising that you would come here to s*** in this thread.
    Is he wrong though. Perot was a big government guy. Sure he was anti-establishment but he wasn't a friend of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Is he wrong though. Perot was a big government guy. Sure he was anti-establishment but he wasn't a friend of liberty.
    He was also a proponent of the "War on Drugs", among other things.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast