Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump cancels meeting with Kim Jong Un

Exclamation Trump cancels meeting with Kim Jong Un

Trump cancels Singapore summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/trum...ancelled-.html

President Donald Trump has canceled his historic summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un next month.
    The meeting, which would have marked the first face-to-face encounter between a sitting U.S. president and a North Korean leader, was set for June 12.

Mike Calia | @Michael_Calia

Published 21 Mins Ago Updated 3 Mins Ago
    CNBC.com

President Donald Trump has canceled his historic summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un next month.

The meeting, which would have marked the first face-to-face encounter between a sitting U.S. president and a North Korean leader, was set for June 12.

"Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting," Trump wrote in a letter to Kim, which was released Thursday morning.

May 24, 2018

His Excellency
    Kim Jong Un
    Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democractic People's Republic of Korea
    Pyongyang

Dear Mr. Chairman:

We greatly appreciate your time, patience, and effort with respect to our recent negotiations and discussions relative to a summit long sought by both parties, which was scheduled to take place on June 12 in Singapore. We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant. I was very much looking forward to being there with you. Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting. Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place. You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that i pray to God they will never have to be used.

I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately it is only that dialogue that matters. Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you. In the meantime, I want to thank you for the release of the hostages who are now home with their families. That was a beautiful gesture and was very much appreciated.

If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write. The world, and North Korea in particular, has lost a great opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth. This missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history.
    Sincerely yours,

Donald J. Trump
    President of the United States of America
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-24-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Did NK's Supreme Leader KJU make another 3D chess move by pushing our leader to cancel and keeping a Nobel Peace prize shot for himself still by working with Japan/others?

North Korea warns of nuclear showdown, calls Pence 'political dummy'

And unfortunately this cancellation would cause Dems/media to increase attacks like this ahead of midterms:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/998839663807942656

Schumer: Trump should take Kim Jong Un off 'trip coin'
    05/22/18
    "I urge the White House to take Kim off the coin," Schumer tweeted. "Challenge coins are a time honored tradition and certainly appropriate in this situation, but Kim Jong Un’s face has no place on this coin. He is a brutal dictator and something like the Peace House would be much more appropriate."
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...-off-trip-coin

Related

Did North Korea just yank the football — and Trump's Nobel Prize — away?
    Opinion Los Angeles Times 52m ago

North Korea threatens to cancel summit with Trump

Hair envy..

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    I blame Trump. He appointed Bolton who said it first. Really smart Trump administration, bring up Libya.........
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

The neoconservatives don't want peace with NK. The Chinese don't want us to have peace with NK or a Korean reunification.

Pretty hard for it to happen with those odds.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Bolton is an unmitigated disaster.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-b...h-korea-summit

with pence and bolton on the team there will never be a good result for trump , only get worse .
    Last edited by ILUVRP; 05-24-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Or maybe Trump himself....
    “In Libya, we decimated that country,” Trump said, adding that “that model would take place if we don’t make a deal [with North Korea], most likely.” This was nothing short of an overt threat to bring about Kim Jong Un's end should he not show up in Singapore prepared to prove his nuclear weapons program was shut down for good. Trump might not have a nonproliferation scholar's grasp of history, but his conflation of the 2003 and 2011 “Libya models” was ultimately the moment to destroy the summit.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Orange neocon is a globalist. His team is winning, so why quit winning now? We've got to have as many excuses to stay in the region as we can create.

What are our annual military outlays in SK? That's what I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Orange neocon is a globalist. His team is winning, so why quit winning now? We've got to have as many excuses to stay in the region as we can create.
    He doesn't even know what a globalist is. He just listens to his 'great' advice.
    Last edited by AuH20; 05-24-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    I blame Trump. He appointed Bolton who said it first. Really smart Trump administration, bring up Libya.........
    I agree, I do not like Bolton at all.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pence/Bolton 2020

Pence/Bolton 2020
    Imagine the walkout if they nominate Pence/Haley? I could see a solid 3rd of the Republican voting bloc walking away and never looking back. Pence and Haley could repeat MAGA slogans until they are blue in the face, but it will never change their stripes.

Keep in mind NK was threatening to cancel anyway, so maybe he thinks canceling the summit before they do preserves his image, or he counts on NK having no other option but to beg for a new summit. So maybe that's his logic.

We're never leaving Asia though, including SK and Japan, so what difference does it really make either way?
    Last edited by Raginfridus; 05-24-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Senator Rand Paul explained Tuesday that reports of North Korea threatening to cancel the imminent peace summit talks with President Trump are being ‘over-read’, and that the negotiations should go ahead unhindered.

“This is consistent with the historic position [on the exercises] and that is why I wouldn’t over-read what is going on here,” said Senator Paul, who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
    “I’m hopeful the talks will still occur and the talks we’re talking about having in Singapore. I think those will still occur.” Paul told Wolf Blitzer on CNN.

“From their perspective, they also feel they gave up the three prisoners and said they are ending military-weapons testing,” Paul continued, adding “They are giving and haven’t seen a little bit on the other side from us.”
    “This is just their way of responding and pushing back,” Paul said. “But I don’t think it endangers the upcoming talks.”
    The Senator also commented on the Iran nuclear deal, noting that he supports talks between Iran and President Trump, saying “I think that we need more discussion at a higher level with Iran.”

More at: https://www.infowars.com/rand-paul-n...t-is-still-on/
    But but but Rand said the news that NK was threatening to cancel the meeting was over read This is what happens to the brain when some who was once a respectable politician joins a cult of personality and starts kissing ass. A news that anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knew was true, Rand comes around to tell us it is exaggerated.

in the land of the blind a one eyed man would be king

Meanwhile in St. Petersburg: Putin meets Macron
    #NotPhotoshop

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dd-E7JsUQAED8fP.jpg:large

==

South Korea's presidential Blue House seems blind-sided by Trump's cancelation of the summit:
    "We are attempting to make sense of what, precisely, President Trump means," says spokesman Kim Eui-kyeom.

Pompeo won't comment on reports Trump didn't even bother to give the South Korean government a heads up he was pulling out of the summit.

UPDATE: South Korea's president has just called an emergency meeting at the Blue House, summoning his chief of staff, national security adviser, foreign minister, unification minister and intelligence chief. It's midnight in Seoul. Via @Annafifield

South Korean president Moon voices "deep regret" over the cancelation of the U.S.-North Korea summit, urges Trump and Kim to hold direct talks, not to delay denuclearization

====

TRUMP ADMINISTRATION WEIGHING NEW SANCTIONS ON NORTH KOREA AS EARLY AS NEXT WEEK -- OFFICIAL: DJ

NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL TO CONVENE AT 5 P.M. TO DISCUSS NORTH KOREA -- ADMIN OFFICIAL: DJ

TRUMP, ASKED ABOUT WAR THREAT: 'WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS...WE ARE IN A VERY STRONG POSITION': DJ
    Last edited by goldenequity; 05-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    But but but Rand said the news that NK was threatening to cancel the meeting was over read This is what happens to the brain when some who was once a respectable politician joins a cult of personality and starts kissing ass. A news that anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knew was true, Rand comes around to tell us it is exaggerated.
    It's not cancelled forever, Trump said any time he wants to re-engage he is welcome and he still wants to have a meeting.

I don't know why everybody freaks out every time something small happens in a negotiation, they make it seem like the end of the world.

Rand doesn't get caught up in all this day to day nonsense and drama, he is better at seeing the bigger picture. Like me. And Trump. And many other people here on this forum.. but not you. Not zippy. Not TheCount. Certainly not CPUd.

I feel like in order to have respect for Trump you can't be one of those people who always gets caught up in the drama for the day. You have to have some patience.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-24-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I'm going to predict that this is temporary and that a meeting will still take place.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's not cancelled forever, Trump said any time he wants to re-engage he is welcome and he still wants to have a meeting.

I don't know why everybody freaks out every time something small happens in a negotiation, they make it seem like the end of the world.

Rand doesn't get caught up in all this day to day nonsense and drama, he is better at seeing the bigger picture. Like me. And Trump. And many other people here on this forum.. but not you. Not zippy. Not TheCount. Certainly not CPUd.

I feel like in order to have respect for Trump you can't be one of those people who always gets caught up in the drama for the day. You have to have some patience.
    Ofc, nothing is cancelled forever. It could still go on but as for now, it is cancelled. That is the point

Btw, I am hurt that you put me in the same category as Zippy and thecount. I thought I was better than that. I am going to cry now.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

Btw, I am hurt that you put me in the same category as Zippy and thecount. I thought I was better than that. I am going to cry now.
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't put you in that same category.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

It's okay. Hillary Clinton wouldn't have met with the North Korean leader either. It's tradition here at RPF to defend Trump by invoking the name Hillary Clinton every time Trump does something RPF doesn't like.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't put you in that same category.
    It does make me feel better. The problem is that sometimes zippy, the count or CPuD sounds like Jules which to some people make em seem like I align with those people all the time. Well sometimes I do but for the most part, I am my own man.

I am open minded, have no sacred cows, follows no cult of personalities and I try to question everything (even the stuff James Corbertt) and that is in essence my motto

(snip)
    Trump was referring to a statement released yesterday in the name of North Korean vice-foreign minister Choe Son Hui. That letter—arguably the real break-up letter in North Korean-US relations—takes umbrage at vice president Mike Pence’s suggestion that North Korea could end up like Libya, and describes Pence as a “dummy.” More concerning, it explicitly threatens a military attack, warning, “We can also make the US taste an appalling tragedy it has neither experienced nor even imagined up to now.”
    https://qz.com/1287942/full-text-of-...storic-summit/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast