Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Should Libertarians support Capital Punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    And if you didn't realize, his comments about the zoo are in response to what he hoped intelligent humans may do if they found us/had found us, so he is saying exactly what I claimed his saying, you are just far too stupid to see it
    Ummmm...if you think he was talking about "intelligent humans" discovering us then you are too stupid to even be having this conversation. If space aliens do exist they will most likely not fit anyone's definition of "human."
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

...I leave for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Ummmm...if you think he was talking about "intelligent humans" discovering us then you are too stupid to even be having this conversation. If space aliens do exist they will most likely not fit anyone's definition of "human."
    Lol it's really obvious what I meant to type, but since you are trying to score a couple ego points back after getting completely demolished I'll let you have it

"At the time Hawking said the discovery of alien life could destroy humanity but we should keep searching for it anyway."

From your article. And for the record, what you misunderstood about what Tyson said is that he felt it would be unlikely that the aliens would want to kill us. Screw with us for entertainment? Yes. Kill us? Why bother was what he was saying.

Now, the real issue is the definition of a "god". The Greek gods were petty, not all powerful, not eternally existing, but certainly more powerful and advanced than humans. Kind of like the aliens of Tyson and Hawking world.
    So this went from "Hawkings thinks we should seek out God but when we find Him we will all die. (Again I kid you not)" to greek gods were actually aliens that messed with us then and are messing with us to this day. And this is staying consistent in your mind... how?

And that is not at all what Tyson was saying. "Screw with us for entertainment" IS NOT THE SAME AS "have positively no interest in us at all." Get some comprehension skills. sheesh.

“I fear the day we come upon a species such as that. Maybe I don’t fear it, I just hope that all they would do for us is create a zoo where we are happy. And maybe that is what they call Earth.”

Tyson was in part responding to statements made by Stephen Hawking in July last year. At the time Hawking said the discovery of alien life could destroy humanity but we should keep searching for it anyway.

But Tyson said the likelihood of that happening were low. “A sufficiently intelligent civilisation would have positively no interest in us at all," he said.

In the above quote from the article, the part that I italicized is only there to give context. The third paragraph is supposed to continue with the topic of the first paragraph. THE LIKELIHOOD OF ALIENS MAKING A ZOO OUT OF HUMANS IS LOW. FULL STOP. THAT'S WHAT TYSON IS SAYING.
    I'm done responding to you. I'm right here, sorry, you can give me the money if you want to keep your word but I don't mind if you keep it

Last edited by Influenza; 08-26-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Fine. What would be the purpose of allowing unlimited, subjectively determined punishment for intentional crimes?
    Who can be more objective in determining a punishment for an intentional crime then the person it was committed against? Punishments are rules set by the rule makers. It is not about a purpose of allowing rather a recognition that your solutions are subjective and maybe to your liking but not worth becoming violent over if someone finds their solutions better.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    The death penalty for murder is a different matter, it was part of a covenant that is still applicable, at least until Jesus returns. The passage you shared above was not really about the death penalty, Jesus was exposing the hypocrisy of the Pharisees. Of course the punishment for things like adultery were part of a different covenant that was only for the Israelites and is no longer applicable to anyone. But the death penalty for murder was part of the Noahic covenant which is for all people, and was not abolished.

From what I've seen, most Christians and Bible teachers are in agreement that the death penalty for murder was not abolished. Liberal Christians might believe otherwise, but I don't think that goes with what the Bible says when you look at it as a whole.

https://www.gotquestions.org/death-penalty.html
    Read your link, still not seeing it. Notice I didn't say "the Law of Moses." I said "the Old Testament." That was purposeful. The Old Testament is full of lesser laws for people unable to hear or live the higher law. Just as God may have authorized the death penalty in Genesis, God ended it in John when He claimed the sole power to be able to cast the first stone or take the first action in killing another person.

You've got a further problem: There is no commandment in Genesis 9:6. Look at the fullness of His words to Noah:

5 And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each human being, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of another human being.

6 “Whoever sheds human blood,
    by humans shall their blood be shed;
    for in the image of God
    has God made mankind.

7 As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it.”
    Verse 5 tells Noah that God will require of him an accounting of all the blood he sheds. Verse 6 in this context could easily be read as a warning instead of a commandment, a warning that violence and bloodshed will only lead to more violence and more bloodshed. It could be a proverb, a warning. Indeed even the very translation is in question.

The Hebrew word ba'adam that is usually translated "by man" or as in the above "by humans" can also be translated "for that man" which changes the whole meaning of the text. The Septuagint, the Greek Old Testament, translates it thusly:

He that sheds man's blood, instead of that blood shall his own be shed, for in the image of God I made man.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/phys...-genesis/9.asp
    Here we are told that blood will be shed but there is no indication that it should be done by men. Which suggests God is telling Noah that He will be the one who will kill as it is necessary to do so. This can be seen in the fact that in Verse 7 God then says "As for you [Noah]" meaning that when He spoke Verse 6 he wasn't speaking to or about Noah at all.

Even if your argument holds up it doesn't allow for the State to kill people. God was speaking to Noah in Genesis 9. Noah was a prophet whom God spoke to directly and was told what to act and what to do by God. It is Noah who is authorized to exercise capital punishment. And unless you're ready to anoint Trump a prophet he doesn't hold the same authority.
    Last edited by PierzStyx; 08-29-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    Read your link, still not seeing it. Notice I didn't say "the Law of Moses." I said "the Old Testament." That was purposeful. The Old Testament is full of lesser laws for people unable to hear or live the higher law. Just as God may have authorized the death penalty in Genesis, God ended it in John when He claimed the sole power to be able to cast the first stone or take the first action in killing another person.

You've got a further problem: There is no commandment in Genesis 9:6. Look at the fullness of His words to Noah:

Verse 5 tells Noah that God will require of him an accounting of all the blood he sheds. Verse 6 in this context could easily be read as a warning instead of a commandment, a warning that violence and bloodshed will only lead to more violence and more bloodshed. It could be a proverb, a warning. Indeed even the very translation is in question.

The Hebrew word ba'adam that is usually translated "by man" or as in the above "by humans" can also be translated "for that man" which changes the whole meaning of the text. The Septuagint, the Greek Old Testament, translates it thusly:

Here we are told that blood will be shed but there is no indication that it should be done by men. Which suggests God is telling Noah that He will be the one who will kill as it is necessary to do so. This can be seen in the fact that in Verse 7 God then says "As for you [Noah]" meaning that when He spoke Verse 6 he wasn't speaking to or about Noah at all.

Even if your argument holds up it doesn't allow for the State to kill people. God was speaking to Noah in Genesis 9. Noah was a prophet whom God spoke to directly and was told what to act and what to do by God. It is Noah who is authorized to exercise capital punishment. And unless you're ready to anoint Trump a prophet he doesn't hold the same authority.
    You do know that as a Mormon you are spouting Heresy, Right?

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/ca...hment?lang=eng
    Capital Punishment

See also Murder
    Punishment by death for a crime committed, especially associated with punishment for murder.

• Murderers who deliberately kill shall die, 2 Ne. 9:35.
    • Thou art condemned to die according to the law, Alma 1:13–14.
    • He that murdered was punished unto death, Alma 1:18.
    • The law requires the life of him who has murdered, Alma 34:12.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Genesis 9 is a list commandments to Noah as part of a covenant for all generations:

1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
    2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
    3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
    4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
    5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man.
    6 Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
    7 And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.
    8 ¶ And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,
    9 And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
    10 And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.
    11 And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
    12 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
    13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
    14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
    15 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
    16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
    17 And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

JST, Genesis 9

10 But, the blood of all flesh which I have given you for meat, shall be shed upon the ground, which taketh life thereof, and the blood ye shall not eat.
    11 And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.
    12 And whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for man shall not shed the blood of man.
    13 For a commandment I give, that every man’s brother shall preserve the life of man, for in mine own image have I made man.
    14 And a commandment I give unto you, Be ye fruitful and multiply; bring forth abundantly on the earth, and multiply therein.
    15 And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying, And I, behold, I will establish my covenant with you, which I made unto your father Enoch, concerning your seed after you.

Christ fulfilled the LAW OF MOSES not THE OLD TESTAMENT, otherwise the 10 commandments would be void, death for adultery which Christ stopped in the case of the woman was part of THE LAW OF MOSES.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Dr. Paul is wrong on this one.
    Man can't do anything perfectly but we must do our best and leave the rest up to GOD.
    Some crimes deserve the Death penalty anything less is a disservice to the victims and the rest of society.
    agreed.

I only consider Execution for High Treason during War Time where the country itself and lives of thousands of citizens or soldiers are threatened or killed. Also, basically during a war we've already committed to killing.

During peacetime, I see no need for Executions. Certainly, we don't need repeat offenders, so if necessary lock them up for life in Prison or a Mental Institute if they committed crimes because were mentally ill.

Lots of Christians are selective old covenant Christians.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Lol it's really obvious what I meant to type, but since you are trying to score a couple ego points back after getting completely demolished I'll let you have it
    Oh you don't say? And here I was thinking you were absolutely perfect.

So this went from "Hawkings thinks we should seek out God but when we find Him we will all die. (Again I kid you not)" to greek gods were actually aliens that messed with us then and are messing with us to this day. And this is staying consistent in your mind... how?
    Uh-huh. Common theme in most modern science fiction. Check out Stargate SG1 sometime. Here is the key. The Greeks didn't portray their gods as omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent the way Semetic cultures did and Judeo/Christian culture ultimately does. Zeus wasn't pre-existing like Yaweh and he (Zeus) ultimately killed his own father. So aliens of godlike power are not incompatible with the Greek pantheon. Now go back to the description of the interplay between Tyson and Hawking. Both were describing beings of godlike power as compared to humans. Tyson said these aliens would see us as we see "worms" and the reason he wasn't afraid of them the way that Hawking was is that, just like humans don't feel the need to be bothered with stepping on all the worms they see, he felt it was unlikely these powerful aliens would be interested in wiping out humanity. But maybe they might find us amusing the way we find zoo animals.

Now, back to your original false assertion that there is no evidence for God. That's simply probably false. You not accepting the evidence doesn't mean the evidence doesn't exist. There is even evidence that the universe could have been created. What evidence you say? Well modern scientists have theorized how even they could create a universe. So if humans could create a universe, our own universe could have been created.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr.../#.WaIx-T6GOUk

Physicists aren’t often reprimanded for using risqué humor in their academic writings, but in 1991 that is exactly what happened to the cosmologist Andrei Linde at Stanford University. He had submitted a draft article entitled ‘Hard Art of the Universe Creation’ to the journal Nuclear Physics B. In it, he outlined the possibility of creating a universe in a laboratory: a whole new cosmos that might one day evolve its own stars, planets and intelligent life. Near the end, Linde made a seemingly flippant suggestion that our Universe itself might have been knocked together by an alien ‘physicist hacker’. The paper’s referees objected to this ‘dirty joke’; religious people might be offended that scientists were aiming to steal the feat of universe-making out of the hands of God, they worried. Linde changed the paper’s title and abstract but held firm over the line that our Universe could have been made by an alien scientist. ‘I am not so sure that this is just a joke,’ he told me.

Fast-forward a quarter of a century, and the notion of universe-making – or ‘cosmogenesis’ as I dub it – seems less comical than ever. I’ve travelled the world talking to physicists who take the concept seriously, and who have even sketched out rough blueprints for how humanity might one day achieve it. Linde’s referees might have been right to be concerned, but they were asking the wrong questions. The issue is not who might be offended by cosmogenesis, but what would happen if it were truly possible. How would we handle the theological implications? What moral responsibilities would come with fallible humans taking on the role of cosmic creators?

Theoretical physicists have grappled for years with related questions as part of their considerations of how our own Universe began. In the 1980s, the cosmologist Alex Vilenkin at Tufts University in Massachusetts came up with a mechanism through which the laws of quantum mechanics could have generated an inflating universe from a state in which there was no time, no space and no matter. There’s an established principle in quantum theory that pairs of particles can spontaneously, momentarily pop out of empty space. Vilenkin took this notion a step further, arguing that quantum rules could also enable a minuscule bubble of space itself to burst into being from nothing, with the impetus to then inflate to astronomical scales. Our cosmos could thus have been burped into being by the laws of physics alone. To Vilenkin, this result put an end to the question of what came before the Big Bang: nothing. Many cosmologists have made peace with the notion of a universe without a prime mover, divine or otherwise.

At the other end of the philosophical spectrum, I met with Don Page, a physicist and evangelical Christian at the University of Alberta in Canada, noted for his early collaboration with Stephen Hawking on the nature of black holes. To Page, the salient point is that God created the Universe ex nihilo – from absolutely nothing. The kind of cosmogenesis envisioned by Linde, in contrast, would require physicists to cook up their cosmos in a highly technical laboratory, using a far more powerful cousin of the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva. It would also require a seed particle called a ‘monopole’ (which is hypothesized to exist by some models of physics, but has yet to be found).

The idea goes that if we could impart enough energy to a monopole, it will start to inflate. Rather than growing in size within our Universe, the expanding monopole would bend spacetime within the accelerator to create a tiny wormhole tunnel leading to a separate region of space. From within our lab we would see only the mouth of the wormhole; it would appear to us as a mini black hole, so small as to be utterly harmless. But if we could travel into that wormhole, we would pass through a gateway into a rapidly expanding baby universe that we had created. (A video illustrating this process provides some further details.)

We have no reason to believe that even the most advanced physics hackers could conjure a cosmos from nothing at all, Page argues. Linde’s concept of cosmogenesis, audacious as it might be, is still fundamentally technological. Page, therefore, sees little threat to his faith. On this first issue, then, cosmogenesis would not necessarily upset existing theological views.

But flipping the problem around, I started to wonder: what are the implications of humans even considering the possibility of one day making a universe that could become inhabited by intelligent life? As I discuss in my book A Big Bang in a Little Room (2017), current theory suggests that, once we have created a new universe, we would have little ability to control its evolution or the potential suffering of any of its residents. Wouldn’t that make us irresponsible and reckless deities? I posed the question to Eduardo Guendelman, a physicist at Ben Gurion University in Israel, who was one of the architects of the cosmogenesis model back in the 1980s. Today, Guendelman is engaged in research that could bring baby-universe-making within practical grasp. I was surprised to find that the moral issues did not cause him any discomfort. Guendelman likens scientists pondering their responsibility over making a baby universe to parents deciding whether or not to have children, knowing they will inevitably introduce them to a life filled with pain as well as joy.

One of the weird parts of this is it requires another person to step up and become a killer and snuff out the life of someone they don't even know. They can just read a list of crimes this person is guilty of, but it still seems like a terrible thing to put onto someone and make them an Executioner.

What kind of a toll does it take on a person?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/b...in-america-526

It seems odd that while society wants a mix of justice and revenge, they can just as easily stigmatize the people who carryout this work.

He was eager to warn anyone thinking about becoming an executioner that there are drawbacks. "All staff who volunteer to be a part of an execution feel the stress," he said, and pointed out that PTSD can reach all members of an execution team, no matter how indirect their involvement. Thompson was also concerned about stigma. In India, at the height of the caste system, executioners were considered Chandala, or untouchables, completely cast out from society. To some degree, he feels, that's still true today.

"There are risks that the societal perception of an 'executioner' as being some kind of freak, or alien, or person of some fundamentally undesirable character flaw, will continue to be perpetuated," Thompson said.

Capital punishment, he pointed out, is a system that makes everyone who votes for it an executioner. He said pushing the button is "just one of many functions that are required in the process of killing someone."

loveshiscountry

Dr. Paul is wrong on this one.
    Man can't do anything perfectly but we must do our best and leave the rest up to GOD.
    Some crimes deserve the Death penalty anything less is a disservice to the victims and the rest of society.
    The only reason to take a life is in defense of property or in defense of another life.

Genesis 9 is a list commandments to Noah as part of a covenant for all generations:

1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
    2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
    3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
    4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
    5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man.
    6 Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
    7 And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.
    8 ¶ And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,
    9 And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
    10 And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.
    11 And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
    12 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
    13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
    14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
    15 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
    16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
    17 And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

JST, Genesis 9

10 But, the blood of all flesh which I have given you for meat, shall be shed upon the ground, which taketh life thereof, and the blood ye shall not eat.
    11 And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.
    12 And whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for man shall not shed the blood of man.
    13 For a commandment I give, that every man’s brother shall preserve the life of man, for in mine own image have I made man.
    14 And a commandment I give unto you, Be ye fruitful and multiply; bring forth abundantly on the earth, and multiply therein.
    15 And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying, And I, behold, I will establish my covenant with you, which I made unto your father Enoch, concerning your seed after you.

Christ fulfilled the LAW OF MOSES not THE OLD TESTAMENT, otherwise the 10 commandments would be void, death for adultery which Christ stopped in the case of the woman was part of THE LAW OF MOSES.
    Christ certainly fulfilled all the Old Testament laws. They are all the Old Covenant. His is the New Covenant. The Sermon on the Mount replaces all previous laws. And His commandments can be summed up in two: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:37-39) That Christians still use the Ten Commandments as a guide for their lives speaks less to Christ's fulfilling of Old Testament laws and more to the lack of spiritual progression of most Christians.

I notice you conveniently ignored the translation problems that render your argument moot as well.

You are correct that God established a covenant with Noah and all his generations after. You are completely in error that you claim that executing people is part of that covenant. Just pay attention to what you pasted.

According to you God tells Noah to execute murderers in Genesis 9:6. But it is Genesis 9:9 where God says He will make a covenant with Noah that applies to him and his seed after him as well as every living thing on the planet. And then in Genesis 9:11 the terms of the covenant are laid out: "And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth."

The covenant God makes with Noah and all living flesh is that He will never again destroy all flesh from off the face of the Earth with floods. It has nothing to do with executing murderers and such is not a binding command on Noah, his children, or anyone after him.

As for the JST (which, deep cut there if you aren't Mormon) Genesis 9:6 as a justification for humans killing murderers makes even less sense. I mean look at the addition:"And whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for man shall not shed the blood of man." If Man is to not shed the blood of man then how is man supposed to shed the blood of one who has shed blood? Wouldn't that just create a perpetual cycle of bloodshed? This is just further evidence for what I explained in the post you quoted by again ignored, that God was speaking of His power to carry out judgment against murderers and not Noah's.

Then JST Genesis 9:13 just demolishes your argument: "For a commandment I give, that every man’s brother shall preserve the life of man, for in mine own image have I made man." You are commanded to preserved the life of all men. Notice there is no caveat there. Which means that the life of a murderer would fall under the commandment as a life that must be preserved.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You do know that as a Mormon you are spouting Heresy, Right?

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/ca...hment?lang=eng
    Capital Punishment

See also Murder
    Punishment by death for a crime committed, especially associated with punishment for murder.

• Murderers who deliberately kill shall die, 2 Ne. 9:35.
    • Thou art condemned to die according to the law, Alma 1:13–14.
    • He that murdered was punished unto death, Alma 1:18.
    • The law requires the life of him who has murdered, Alma 34:12.

You do know that Mormons do not consider the Bible topical guide as scripture, right? That it is not doctrine or binding in any form, correct? That it is only a concordance put together by a committee to the best of its reasoning, yes? That it isn't even completely exhaustive, understand?

Seriously, if this is the best you got then you had better pack it up. Because you're done.

In fact, if you want to talk actual Mormon doctrine, here is a mini lesson for you. As a matter of doctrine, Mormons consider the Bible to be incomplete and flawed. There serious issues of translation, alteration, and assumption that have gone into the preparation and teaching of the Bible since it was created. Meaning we recognize that there are translation errors in the Bible and that recognizing Genesis 9:6 as such is not heresy.

Please, before you try and tell me what Mormons must believe again, just don't. Because you're embarrassing yourself.
    Last edited by PierzStyx; 08-28-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Lots of Christians are selective old covenant Christians.
    This is a sad fact.

Christ certainly fulfilled all the Old Testament laws. They are all the Old Covenant. His is the New Covenant. The Sermon on the Mount replaces all previous laws. And His commandments can be summed up in two: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:37-39) That Christians still use the Ten Commandments as a guide for their lives speaks less to Christ's fulfilling of Old Testament laws and more to the lack of spiritual progression of most Christians.
    Nonsense, Christ instructed the woman taken in adultery to "go and SIN no more" because the 10 commandments are still in force, adultery is still a sin, there are plenty of other examples in the Bible, the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants to show that the 10 commandments are still in force, the LAW OF MOSES is the "old covenant" that was fulfilled and done away.

Matthew

Chapter 19

3 ¶ The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
    4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
    5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
    6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
    7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
    8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
    9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

16 ¶ And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I notice you conveniently ignored the translation problems that render your argument moot as well.

You are correct that God established a covenant with Noah and all his generations after. You are completely in error that you claim that executing people is part of that covenant. Just pay attention to what you pasted.

According to you God tells Noah to execute murderers in Genesis 9:6. But it is Genesis 9:9 where God says He will make a covenant with Noah that applies to him and his seed after him as well as every living thing on the planet. And then in Genesis 9:11 the terms of the covenant are laid out: "And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth."

The covenant God makes with Noah and all living flesh is that He will never again destroy all flesh from off the face of the Earth with floods. It has nothing to do with executing murderers and such is not a binding command on Noah, his children, or anyone after him.
    1-7 is a list of commands, it is the part of the covenant that man must follow, 9-17 is what the LORD promises as his half of the covenant.

As for the JST (which, deep cut there if you aren't Mormon) Genesis 9:6 as a justification for humans killing murderers makes even less sense. I mean look at the addition:"And whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for man shall not shed the blood of man." If Man is to not shed the blood of man then how is man supposed to shed the blood of one who has shed blood? Wouldn't that just create a perpetual cycle of bloodshed?
    "for man shall not shed the blood of man" is an explanatory statement why the death penalty is being imposed, there is no vicious cycle problem because the general rule that man shall not shed the blood of man is superseded by the command to execute murderers which creates an exception to the general rule, GOD can command man to kill and it then becomes a sin to refuse, the first rule of the universe is that GOD is in charge and that whatever he commands is right.

This is just further evidence for what I explained in the post you quoted by again ignored, that God was speaking of His power to carry out judgment against murderers and not Noah's.
    Nonsense, GOD said "by man shall his blood be shed" which means that man is commanded to kill murderers OR if you claim it is a promise to use the wicked to punish the wicked then GOD is a liar because not all murderers are killed. (This is an unthinkable heresy)

Then JST Genesis 9:13 just demolishes your argument: "For a commandment I give, that every man’s brother shall preserve the life of man, for in mine own image have I made man." You are commanded to preserved the life of all men. Notice there is no caveat there. Which means that the life of a murderer would fall under the commandment as a life that must be preserved.
    The lives of men are to be preserved by punishing murder with the death penalty, the man who has shown a willingness to murder is prevented from committing more and others are deterred from following his example.

Alma 42:19

19 Now, if there was no law given—if a man amurdered he should bdie—would he be afraid he would die if he should murder?

You do know that Mormons do not consider the Bible topical guide as scripture, right? That it is not doctrine or binding, correct? That it is only a concordance put together by a committee to the best of its reasoning, yes? That it isn't even completely exhaustive, understand?

Seriously, if this is the best you got then you had better pack it up. Because you're through.
    If you are too lazy to follow the links or search the scriptures I will do it for you:

The Book of Alma

Chapter 1

13 And thou hast shed the blood of a righteous man, yea, a man who has done much good among this people; and were we to spare thee his blood would come upon us for vengeance.
    14 Therefore thou art condemned to die, according to the law which has been given us by Mosiah, our last king; and it has been acknowledged by this people; therefore this people must abide by the law.
    15 And it came to pass that they took him; and his name was Nehor; and they carried him upon the top of the hill Manti, and there he was caused, or rather did acknowledge, between the heavens and the earth, that what he had taught to the people was contrary to the word of God; and there he suffered an ignominious death.
    16 Nevertheless, this did not put an end to the spreading of priestcraft through the land; for there were many who loved the vain things of the world, and they went forth preaching false doctrines; and this they did for the sake of riches and honor.
    17 Nevertheless, they durst not lie, if it were known, for fear of the law, for liars were punished; therefore they pretended to preach according to their belief; and now the law could have no power on any man for his belief.
    18 And they durst not steal, for fear of the law, for such were punished; neither durst they rob, nor murder, for he that murdered was punished unto death.

Chapter 34

11 Now there is not any man that can sacrifice his own blood which will atone for the sins of another. Now, if a man murdereth, behold will our law, which is just, take the life of his brother? I say unto you, Nay.
    12 But the law requireth the life of him who hath murdered; therefore there can be nothing which is short of an infinite atonement which will suffice for the sins of the world.

Alma 30:10

10 But if he amurdered he was punished unto bdeath; and if he crobbed he was also punished; and if he stole he was also punished; and if he committed dadultery he was also punished; yea, for all this wickedness they were punished.

3 Nephi 6:29

29 Therefore they did combine against the people of the Lord, and enter into a covenant to destroy them, and to deliver those who were guilty of murder from the grasp of justice, which was about to be administered according to the law.

Doctrine and Covenants

Section 42

18 And now, behold, I speak unto the church. Thou shalt not kill; and he that kills shall not have forgiveness in this world, nor in the world to come.
    19 And again, I say, thou shalt not kill; but he that killeth shall die.
    20 Thou shalt not steal; and he that stealeth and will not repent shall be cast out.
    21 Thou shalt not lie; he that lieth and will not repent shall be cast out.
    22 Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else.
    23 And he that looketh upon a woman to lust after her shall deny the faith, and shall not have the Spirit; and if he repents not he shall be cast out.
    24 Thou shalt not commit adultery; and he that committeth adultery, and repenteth not, shall be cast out.
    25 But he that has committed adultery and repents with all his heart, and forsaketh it, and doeth it no more, thou shalt forgive;
    26 But if he doeth it again, he shall not be forgiven, but shall be cast out.
    27 Thou shalt not speak evil of thy neighbor, nor do him any harm.
    28 Thou knowest my laws concerning these things are given in my scriptures; he that sinneth and repenteth not shall be cast out.
    29 If thou lovest me thou shalt serve me and keep all my commandments.

Doctrine and Covenants 134:8

8 We believe that the commission of crime should be apunished according to the nature of the offense; that murder, treason, robbery, theft, and the breach of the general peace, in all respects, should be punished according to their criminality and their tendency to evil among men, by the laws of that government in which the offense is committed; and for the public bpeace and tranquility all men should step forward and use their ability in bringing coffenders against good laws to punishment.

(Capital punishment was the law back then)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    During peacetime, I see no need for Executions.
    "Peace-time"? I know each of those words individually, but together they make no sense. Is this a term you've coined?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    "Peace-time"? I know each of those words individually, but together they make no sense. Is this a term you've coined?
    There is precedent in the English language for creating a new word by combining two old words.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

There is precedent in the English language for creating a new word by combining two old words.

Last edited by otherone; 08-28-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    -Albert Camus

There are two important aspects to this question:

1) Is capital punishment ever just?
    2) If it is ever just, should it ever been administered by the state?

Of these two questions, the second is by far the easiest to answer. No. The state should never administer capital punishment. For, if capital punishment is unjust, then it would be unjust for the state to administer it. And if capital punishment is just, it is far too serious and important of a matter to allow the state to administer.

Cluster-$#@!?

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Cluster-$#@!?
    More likely, "Down-Syndrome".
    -Albert Camus

So you have never heard of words like Shotgun or Firearm?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

So you have never heard of words like Shotgun or Firearm?
    DOOD.
    You're killing me.

Here. It's a dancing cat.

-Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    There are two important aspects to this question:

1) Is capital punishment ever just?
    2) If it is ever just, should it ever been administered by the state?

Of these two questions, the second is by far the easiest to answer. No. The state should never administer capital punishment. For, if capital punishment is unjust, then it would be unjust for the state to administer it. And if capital punishment is just, it is far too serious and important of a matter to allow the state to administer.
    +rep.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Hence, by sentencing anyone to any punishment, there is a chance that you are sentencing an innocent person, who will never be exonerated.

Correct?
    Of course.

Why?

What is your point?

The Bible is pretty clear about this. The Old Testament explicitly endorses capital punishment for a wide variety of crimes, many of which are very innocuous. However, the New Covenant abolishes the Old Covenant. But what does that mean? It only means that it is no longer binding and required to be followed. But it's still a good idea to do so in order to be more righteous and higher up in the kingdom of heaven.

2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV)
    16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

Matthew 5:17-19
    “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    Clearly, although not required, it's beneficial for Christians to follow ALL old testament laws. Here's some examples of relevant laws:

Deuteronomy 13:6-11 ESV / 90 helpful votes

“If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

Leviticus 20:10

“If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
    There's no consistent, christian argument against this whatsoever. If you don't accept that capital punishment is a good thing, but still call yourself a christian, you should probably just quit the BS and reject theism like us rational folk
    Last edited by Influenza; 08-28-2017 at 06:08 PM.

The Bible is pretty clear about this. The Old Testament explicitly endorses capital punishment for a wide variety of crimes, many of which are very innocuous. However, the New Covenant abolishes the Old Covenant. But what does that mean? It only means that it is no longer binding and required to be followed. But it's still a good idea to do so in order to be more righteous and higher up in the kingdom of heaven.

Clearly, although not required, it's beneficial for Christians to follow ALL old testament laws. Here's some examples of relevant laws:

There's no consistent, christian argument against this whatsoever. If you don't accept that capital punishment is a good thing, but still call yourself a christian, you should probably just quit the BS and reject theism like us rational folk

Listen boys and girls the Atheist is going to educate us all about religious doctrine.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Listen boys and girls the Atheist is going to educate us all about religious doctrine.
    I'm atheist because I have studied religious doctrine far more than the average christian/jew/muslim/whatever and have rejected all them. Do you have an actual argument or will you just employ another logical fallacy?

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast