Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GOP pushes for health care re-do within month

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Absolutely. But that's not what's going on here. Government isn't "forcing" the insurance companies (at least not the existing ones - obviously, it's a barrier to entry for any start-up). It's a great PR ploy to "insure" sick people, but obviously it costs money. The insurance companies wrote the bills (Obamacare and Trump/Ryancare) to get a funding mechanism for those people.
    So currently if I have a pre-existing condition insurance companies can turn me down? That's not what I've heard about Obamacare.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    So currently if I have a pre-existing condition insurance companies can turn me down? That's not what I've heard about Obamacare.
    Did you hear the part where they wrote the law?!! Geez, man, you're only reading 1/2 the posts. They wrote into the law that they'd cover people with pre-existing conditions, but they also wrote into the law that they'd "force" everyone to pay. The idea that the law "forces" the insurance companies to do something against their will is ridiculous - they wanted it! And as with most regulations, they serve as a protection against competition since any would-be competitor has to face a larger barrier to entry - meaning, if you wanted to start an insurance company that only provides coverage to hand-selected people, you wouldn't be allowed. The "force" is on individuals and start-ups. I suppose if you want to be pedantic, you could say they "forced" themselves to cover some people while "forcing" everyone else to pay for it. But that sounds kinda silly, right?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did you hear the part where they wrote the law?!! Geez, man, you're only reading 1/2 the posts. They wrote into the law that they'd cover people with pre-existing conditions, but they also wrote into the law that they'd "force" everyone to pay. The idea that the law "forces" the insurance companies to do something against their will is ridiculous - they wanted it! And as with most regulations, they serve as a protection against competition since any would-be competitor has to face a larger barrier to entry - meaning, if you wanted to start an insurance company that only provides coverage to hand-selected people, you wouldn't be allowed. The "force" is on individuals and start-ups. I suppose if you want to be pedantic, you could say they "forced" themselves to cover some people while "forcing" everyone else to pay for it. But that sounds kinda silly, right?
    The idea of not denying coverage for pre-existing conditions as well as the individual mandate that everybody have insurance actually came from the conservative Heritage Foundation. http://thf_media.s3.amazonaws.com/1989/pdf/hl218.pdf

They also claim credit for the idea of health insurance exchanges. http://www.heritage.org/health-care-...we-can-believe

The president-elect didn't invent the idea of a health exchange. He came up with his own version of an idea that's been refined by people like us at the Heritage Foundation and already field tested. Frankly, we prefer the original.

Here's what this big Idea is all about:

Most working Americans get health coverage as a tax-free benefit from their employer. The problem is that smaller employers don't do this well - and many not at all - because it's a hassle and they can't get a good deal from the insurer.

So millions of workers don't get any health coverage from their employers. And many more don't get the kind of coverage they want. Even those who do get good coverage through work may lose it. Those who change jobs often have to change doctors under a new plan.

Enter the health exchange - a sort of shopping mall for insurance customers.

If you worked for a non-insuring boss - say, John the barber or Jane the restaurant owner - you wouldn't be out of luck. You could pick your own plan through a health exchange. Even if you get insurance now, you might find better coverage - or a better deal - among the many competing plans offered by an exchange.

The exchange would be a nonprofit organization chartered by the government. It would set some ground rules for insurers. For example, they would need to present cost and coverage information in an easy-to-compare way - like hotels on Travelocity. Government and the plans also could develop underwriting rules and a "risk adjustment" fund so coverage is affordable for everyone.

As employers, John and Jane wouldn't have to select and administer coverage for their workers, though they would make a payroll deduction and send off the premium to the exchange, often kicking in a share. The exchange would lump premiums together and distribute funds to each plan to cut overhead.

This approach offers many advantages. It would give working Americans a choice of several plans, not just one that appealed most to their employer. And they could go directly to the exchange if their employer didn't offer any coverage. Moreover, workers who switch jobs could simply keep the same plan through the exchange - just like keeping the same auto insurance.

Federal employees already have an insurance exchange, called the Federal Employee Health Benefits Program (FEHBP). Many private workers in Massachusetts now also have coverage through an exchange called the Connector; other states are planning to copy Massachusetts.

The Heritage Foundation and some other think tanks have argued for years that an FEHBP-style health exchange would make sense.
    More at link.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-04-2017 at 01:29 PM.

I don't give a crap who wrote the law. All I care about is whether it's a good law. And you can't have a free market if a business is forced to provide a service. And besides that the whole idea that "Big Insurance" is one entity that wrote the law is silly. You could play that game with any law. Any bad law could be validated because "they" wanted it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    You could play that game with any law. Any bad law could be validated because "they" wanted it themselves.
    Now you're starting to get it.

House Freedom Caucus Shows Support For New Obamacare Repeal

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/06/ho...#ixzz4dU9G15VY

EnderCare:

Government out of medical care/business
    Insurance a choice
    Free Enterprise for Doctors

Prediction:
    Medical costs will be at least 1/10, or lower, of what they currently are.
    There is no spoon.

Million Dollar Ad Campaign to Put Pressure on Moderates for Obamacare Repeal..

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/lauret...epeal-n2311649

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

House Freedom Caucus is backing the bill now, and looks like Ryan is going to ax lawmaker exemption in Obamacare repeal bill.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-repeal-237672

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Noob View Post
    House Freedom Caucus is backing the bill now, ...
    Conservatives Back Revised Health Bill, GOP Moderates Balk

House Freedom Caucus endorsed a revised version of the moribund Republican health care bill Wednesday.

Opposition by most of the caucus' roughly three dozen members was a major factor when House leaders canceled a vote on the legislation
    last month in a mortifying setback for the party.

The changes would let states escape a requirement under President Barack Obama's health care law that insurers charge
    healthy and seriously ill customers the same rates.
    They could also be exempted from Obama's mandate that insurers cover a list of services like maternity care.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...-overhaul.html
    Last edited by Jan2017; 04-27-2017 at 06:17 AM.

I'd like to know more about the new bill. Hopefully the Freedom Caucus didn't fold for 30 pieces of silver.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Are they really within 5 votes to pass it? Looks like they are going to increase funding to try to get more liberal Republicans.

Representative Dennis Ross of Florida, a senior member of the House vote-counting team, described Republicans’ closed-door meeting and said they are about “five votes away” from the number needed to pass the bill.
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...-ahca-n2321167

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mo...rticle/2621930

https://twitter.com/dougstafford/sta...78062408368128
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Vote scheduled for Thursday. They still don't know if they have the votes. Some of the vulnerable Reps are "undecided", and there are enough in that pool to swing it either way.

Also several of them flipping back and forth every day.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Opposed or leaning “no” 17
    Members who have publicly said they would vote “no” on the current bill, or have expressed serious concerns about it.

Andy Biggs Ariz.
    Barbara Comstock Va.
    Ryan Costello Pa.
    Carlos Curbelo Fla.
    Charlie Dent Pa.
    Daniel Donovan N.Y.
    Brian Fitzpatrick Pa.
    Jaime Herrera Beutler Wash.
    Walter B. Jones N.C.
    John Katko N.Y.
    Leonard Lance N.J.
    Frank A. LoBiondo N.J.
    Thomas Massie Ky.
    Patrick Meehan Pa.
    Dave Reichert Wash.
    Ileana Ros-Lehtinen Fla.
    Christopher H. Smith N.J.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Undecided or unclear 35
    Members who have not publicly taken a position on the current bill.

Rick Allen Ga.
    Justin Amash Mich.
    Mark Amodei Nev.
    Marsha Blackburn Tenn.
    Rod Blum Iowa
    Mike Bost Ill.
    Ken Calvert Calif.
    Mike Coffman Colo.
    Paul Cook Calif.
    Mario Diaz-Balart Fla.
    John Faso N.Y.
    Rodney Frelinghuysen N.J.
    Bob Gibbs Ohio
    Darrell Issa Calif.
    Bill Johnson Ohio
    David Joyce Ohio
    Steve King Iowa
    Adam Kinzinger Ill.
    Steve Knight Calif.
    Doug LaMalfa Calif.
    Brian Mast Fla.
    David B. McKinley W.Va.
    Martha McSally Ariz.
    Tim Murphy Pa.
    Erik Paulsen Minn.
    Bruce Poliquin Maine
    Tom Reed N.Y.
    Dana Rohrabacher Calif.
    Peter J. Roskam Ill.
    Edward R. Royce Calif.
    Elise Stefanik N.Y.
    Michael R. Turner Ohio
    Rob Wittman Va.
    Kevin Yoder Kan.
    Don Young Alaska

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Switched to “yes” 27
    Members who said they will switch their votes from “no” on the previous bill to “yes” on this version.

Dave Brat Va.
    Mo Brooks Ala.
    Susan Brooks Ind.
    Ken Buck Colo.
    Ted Budd N.C.
    Chris Collins N.Y.
    Warren Davidson Ohio
    Jeff Denham Calif.
    Scott DesJarlais Tenn.
    Trent Franks Ariz.
    Louie Gohmert Tex.
    Paul A. Gosar Ariz.
    Jody Hice Ga.
    Jim Jordan Ohio
    Raúl R. Labrador Idaho
    Billy Long Mo.
    Tom McClintock Calif.
    Mark Meadows N.C.
    James B. Renacci Ohio
    Mark Sanford S.C.
    Fred Upton Mich.
    David Valadao Calif.
    Greg Walden Ore.
    Randy Weber Tex.
    Daniel Webster Fla.
    Ted Yoho Fla.
    David Young Iowa

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Vote scheduled for Thursday. They still don't know if they have the votes. Some of the vulnerable Reps are "undecided", and there are enough in that pool to swing it either way.

Also several of them flipping back and forth every day.
    "Mandates seldom work" live cspan at https://www.c-span.org/video/?427816...alth-care-bill

"vote looms" or "pull the vote!"

Dem : "the Trumpcare mother of all bombs dropped on the American people"
    Last edited by Jan2017; 05-04-2017 at 08:49 AM.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/860154277003767811

18 GOP no so far, 16 left. It will be close

2 dem yes

Amash, Mo Brooks Issa still out

it will either pas or fail by 1 or 2 votes

20 gop no, 2 yet to vote

2 dems changed back from yes to no

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it will pass, unles someone changes in the next couple minutes

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...94183797243904

https://twitter.com/Raul_Labrador/st...98896705961984

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast