Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein-aholic -- How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Anybody who has had any conditions related to inflammation knows this is wrong.. the optimal diet is low carb, medium protein (quality pastured protein), high fat (good fats). It's crazy to think that a high fat diet is going to lead to poor blood sugar like the OP has claimed in the past, it's clearly the opposite. I have a resting blood sugar of 80, people I know who do high carb weight lifting or otherwise eat a lot of carbs are the ones who get the blood sugar problems and show signs of becoming borderline diabetic..

Now, there are alternatives within the high carb diet that are better than others. Lots of veggies, fruit, legumes and whole grains will keep you in good shape compared to highly processed grains and sugar. In fact, most meat eaters eat a lot of processed grains, starches and sugars and that is why they are so unhealthy.
    ^THIS^
    There is no spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've gone vegan plant-based.

For a few reasons. (I might do a blog post/video on it.)

If anyone has time, here's something to definitely check out.

(I don't agree with everything the guy says, but it's still a powerful presentation, imo.)

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Consuming high protein puts a lot of strain on the liver and kidneys to process it. Protein metabolism produces a lot of waste products they have to break down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Consuming high protein puts a lot of strain on the liver and kidneys to process it. Protein metabolism produces a lot of waste products they have to break down.
    All synthesis produces waste. Protein synthesis is the least "destructive" of the macronutrients (it helps rebuild muscle tissue damaged during sport, training, and life generally). Not too much bad can come from too much protein, but too many carbs causes metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and a number of other nasty things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Eat whatever you want...criminy.

Noticed this thread title and will chime in with my 5 cents.

I consume what can pretty much be described as a paleo diet. I raise/consume my own chickens/eggs and buy grass fed beef in bulk, as well as fresh game from hunting. I consume a moderate amount of full fat raw milk and products made from such milk. I have virtually eliminated processed foods and added sugar from my diet.

I wholly disapprove of this thread. I prefer a nice chuck on dead animal flesh in the center of my plate at least 2-3 times a week.

ONLY 2-3 times a week? I am thinking more along the lines of 7 days a week.

I am hitting my 50's and am in fit and healthy condition and without the "middle age spread" common to people my age. I wear the same size pants as I did in my 20's.

Several key items I will offer

1. Eliminate processed foods and sugar from your diet.
    2. Keep a carbohydrate profile that is appropriate to your overall activity level.
    3. Consume a good quantity of healthy fats. Fat does NOT make you fat, but is critical to cell repair and cellular reproduction.
    4. Consume animal protein on a regular basis.
    5. Eliminate grains from your diet.

I won't go into all of it, just the basics above.

As to the point made by the OP of the thread.

I do incorporate a very wide variety of vegetables of all colors and varieties into my diet. That is the beauty of meal time. Meat goes well with all kinds of veggies.

I don't want to stir up any controversy, but I think it needs to be said that for many people there is a disconnect between the food we eat, and where it came from. For some, it's one of those "I'd rather not know" type of things.

I hope that if anyone here has an open mind and a few minutes, you will watch this video. Please watch it.

If you are a Christian, please remember Proverbs 12:10 as you look at those images.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    The average American eats that much 2-3 times a day, so only eating animal foods 2-3 times a week is a big improvement.
    LMAO the average American does not eat 3 steaks a day.

I'm going to give these Quest chips a try and i'll report back on how tolerable they are. I like chips and I have not had any in a long time so this will be a welcomed addition to my diet if they work out.

Ingredients

INGREDIENTS: Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Dried Potatoes, Corn Starch, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors. Contains less than 2% of the following: Onion Powder, Sour Cream, Garlic Powder, Spice, Salt, Yeast Extract, Calcium Carbonate.

Might be a nice alternative for those looking to help out the little critters in the world and themselves as well.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why is it necessary to exert energy attempting to convince others that your ideology is the only correct one?

Maybe the problem is that many people live to eat rather than eat to live. If protein was a main source of food but the person ate small amounts of food that the body would have no problem processing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrp12 View Post
    I'm going to give these Quest chips a try and i'll report back on how tolerable they are. I like chips and I have not had any in a long time so this will be a welcomed addition to my diet if they work out.

Ingredients

INGREDIENTS: Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Dried Potatoes, Corn Starch, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors. Contains less than 2% of the following: Onion Powder, Sour Cream, Garlic Powder, Spice, Salt, Yeast Extract, Calcium Carbonate.

Might be a nice alternative for those looking to help out the little critters in the world and themselves as well.
    Yeast extract is a form of MSG.

MSG is an excitotoxin and people ought to stay away from it.

Yeast extracts are also used for cultivating microorganism in most dairy products such as in cheeses, cottage cheese, and yogurts. Yeast extract is extensively used to make cheese taste cheesy. And even though it is MSG in disguise the FDA still calls it a natural flavorer as if it is something good for your health.
    http://draxe.com/yeast-extract/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

Well that stinks. I ordered them yesterday. I'll still do what I said and give a review. Thanks for the heads up anyway, much appreciated.

EDIT: Just sent them a E-mail to let them know it is a concern of mine, and if they plan on dropping it.
    Last edited by tommyrp12; 05-30-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Well that stinks. I ordered them yesterday. I'll still do what I said and give a review. Thanks for the heads up anyway, much appreciated.

EDIT: Just sent them a E-mail to let them know it is a concern of mine, and if they plan on dropping it.
    Excellent, the more pressure we put on these companies the better. Let me know if you get a response, I am curious what kind of spin they'll use about it.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Yes and if you look at carnivore species they have to rest a lot more than plant-based animals in order to digest their heavy diet.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    too many carbs causes metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and a number of other nasty things.
    Only when you combine with too much saturated fat and vegetable oils.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    LMAO the average American does not eat 3 steaks a day.
    Eats that much in animal foods a day. It might as well be steak 2-3 times a day.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Why is it necessary to exert energy attempting to convince others that your ideology is the only correct one?
    Personal Health & Well-Being forum

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Only when you combine with too much saturated fat and vegetable oils.
    False. Carbs are a type of sugar and cause your body to produce insulin. Too much insulin=insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome, which leads to type II diabetes if not curbed by dietary change. No fat or oil does this. It's just how nature works. Biology FTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

For the ultimate protein-aholic!

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Carbs are a type of sugar and cause your body to produce insulin.
    Exactly why nature gave us a pancreas, to produce insulin to transport glucose into cells for energy.

Too much insulin=insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome, which leads to type II diabetes if not curbed by dietary change. No fat or oil does this. It's just how nature works. Biology FTW.
    You don't understand biology very well. Do you know how insulin works to transport glucose into cells?

World wide anti-vegetarian newz.....

Sausage-wielding gang attacks vegan cafe

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/150079285-story

The owners of a vegan cafe in the country of Georgia say group of neo-Nazis started throwing grilled meat at patrons. It happened over the weekend at the Kiwi Cafe in the capital city of Tbilisi.

The cafe was holding an English-language movie screening when the group came in and started the violence.

They pulled out grilled meat, sausages, fish and started eating them and throwing them at customers before starting to smoke, which is forbidden at the cafe.

When the owners tried to get them to leave a fight started and spilled into the street. The cafe owners say neighbors, who are not happy with a vegan establishment being located there, joined in the fight.

The attackers left before police arrived although the cafe owners say some of their workers were brought to a police office for interrogation.

The owners of the cafe in the former Soviet republic say there has been another recent incident where the group had been asking questions about whether foreigners, gays or other members of the LGBT community had frequented the cafe.

The incident comes amid growing concerns about far-right nationalism in the country. In April a group of masked youth took to the streets to protest immigration and Islamization.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

It isn't. It contains glutimine which is an amino acid (protein building block) and even the levels of that are considerably lower than in MSG. They aren't the same at all. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog...onceptions-msg

A number of consumer groups have claimed that certain food ingredients, such as autolyzed yeast and hydrolyzed protein, are MSG in disguise. They are not. Autolyzed yeast and hydrolyzed proteins, among other ingredients, are completely natural ingredients that happen to be have substantial amounts of glutamates, but nowhere near the concentration found in MSG.
    http://blog.fooducate.com/2014/10/08...hier-than-msg/

There has been a backlash against foods containing MSG, for two reasons. one – it’s a processed additive, and two – it causes a small percentage of people to have allergic reactions to it. The allergic reaction is due to the free glutamates.

Thankfully (?) there are other additives that are lower in glutamates, yet still add a good dose of flavor to products. Though super-sensitive people may still have a reaction, not all people who are sensitive to MSG have a problem with these additives:

- Yeast extract
    - Autolyzed yeast
    - Hydrolyzed proteins

All of the above contain a much lower level of glutamates compared to MSG.

Yeast extract is a processed form of yeast. Yeast is actually a whole kingdom of single cell organisms that convert carbs into CO2 (baking) and alcohol. Yeast extracts are created by removing the cell walls of yeast and leaving just the innards. The dead (and mutilated) yeast cell start to break up. Various enzymes turn the dead cell into groups of amino acids, including glutamates.

When the enzymes used are added externally, we call it Hydrolyzed yeast. When the enzymes are those present in the yeast cells, the end result is Autolyzed yeast.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-31-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Hidden names for MSG and free glutamic acid:

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid: (7)

Glutamic Acid (E 620)
    Glutamate (E 620)
    Monosodium Glutamate (E 621)
    Monopotassium Glutamate (E 622)
    Calcium Glutamate (E 623)
    Monoammonium Glutamate (E 624)
    Magnesium Glutamate (E 625)
    Natrium Glutamate
    Yeast Extract
    Anything “hydrolyzed”
    Any “hydrolyzed protein”
    Calcium Caseinate
    Sodium Caseinate
    Yeast Food
    Yeast Nutrient
    Autolyzed Yeast
    Gelatin
    Textured Protein
    Soy Protein
    Soy Protein Concentrate
    Soy Protein Isolate
    Whey Protein
    Whey Protein Concentrate
    Whey Protein Isolate
    Anything “…protein”
    Vetsin
    Ajinomoto

Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid: (7)

Carrageenan (E 407)
    Bouillon and broth
    Stock
    Any “flavors” or “flavoring”
    Maltodextrin
    Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
    Anything “ultra-pasteurized”
    Barley malt
    Pectin (E 440)
    Protease
    Anything “enzyme modified”
    Anything containing “enzymes”
    Malt extract
    Soy sauce
    Soy sauce extract
    Anything “protein fortified”
    Anything “fermented”
    Seasonings

The following are ingredients suspected of containing or creating sufficient processed free glutamic acid to serve as MSG-reaction triggers in HIGHLY SENSITIVE people: (7)

Corn starch
    Corn syrup
    Modified food starch
    Lipolyzed butter fat
    Dextrose
    Rice syrup
    Brown rice syrup
    Milk powder
    Reduced fat milk (skim; 1%; 2%)
    Most things labeled “Low Fat” or “No Fat”
    Anything labeled “Enriched”
    Anything labeled “Vitamin Enriched”
    http://lifespa.com/sneaky-names-for-...k-your-labels/

More Info:
    http://www.realfoodwholehealth.com/2...-hidden-names/
    http://www.aapsonline.org/jpands/hac...article27.html
    http://dorway.com/doctors-speak-out/...-hypothalamus/

Their list is not accurate. Those are not the same as MSG. (if you don't recall- ginger and tumeric also contain glutamine- both of which you recommended)

This is particularly silly and shows how worthless the list is:

Anything “ultra-pasteurized
    Ultra pasteurized only means it was heated. It is not adding anything.

http://organicvalley.custhelp.com/ap...zation-mean%3F

What does Ultra-Pasteurization mean?

Ultra Pasteurization (UP), or Ultra High Temperature (UHT) pasteurization, is the process of heating milk to approximately 280 °F for just 2 seconds and then chilling it back down rapidly. The result is milk that's 99.9% free from bacteria. This pasteurization process creates an extended shelf-life for milk products of up to three times the length as HTST pasteurization; while providing the same wholesome, quality dairy product. This allows us to distribute UP milk products regionally as well as to other areas of the country that might not have access to our dairy products.

This is referred to as 'ultra pasteurized' on the milk package. Organic Valley offers its quarts and some of its half gallons of milk with Ultra Pasteurization (UP).
    That is an organic milk company.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-31-2016 at 01:40 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid:
    Another article from an organic foods company: http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/vi...rticles_id=207

Glutamic Acid - It Is Not MSG or Monosodium Glutamate

Protein builds muscle, organ, and all body tissue. It aids digestion. It provides structure to hair, fingernails, and ligaments. It produces stomach acid, aids the movement of muscles, helps us to see, produces antibodies, and delivers oxygen to blood. It is essential to life.

Proteins are amino acids linked together in chains. Of twenty-two known amino acids, eight are classified as 'essential,' signifying the body does not produce them so they must be obtained from food we eat. The other fourteen amino acids are considered non-essential, signifying the body is capable of making them so they are not diet dependent.

Glutamic acid is a 'non-essential' classified amino acid that is very common in plants and animals. Besides being a building block of protein, glutamic acid is vital in the transmission of nerve impulses, and is even manufactured in the brain.

A typical human contains 4.4 pounds of glutamate or Glutamic acid. It is a main component of proteins and peptides, and present in most tissue. Virtually every food contains glutamate. It's a major component of protein rich food like meat, eggs, poultry, milk, cheese, and fish. Glutamate or Glutamic acid is also ubiquitous in grain, beans, vegetables, mushrooms, fruits, nuts, sea vegetables such as kombu, and even mother's milk. The following list shows common food content amounts:

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    And here I am with a freshly home made 2lb bag of jerky! I must be dead already.
    You should save yourself and send me half .

I redacted the ladies name for her privacy. But here is the response.

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for reaching out to us at Quest.

We definitely make our Quest products to be "clean cheats" mostly because we spend a lot of time and resources finding the clean ingredients that are necessary to make this bars, chips, powders and more. We don't believe in cheating ourselves and our customers with cheap products. Therefore, we only partner with suppliers who can guarantee that the ingredients we use to make our Quest Chips, for example are completely MSG-free. We would love to offer you as much information as you may need, so feel free to reach out to us again if there are any other questions we can answer.

We hope you are experiencing success on your Quest- whatever it may be!

Regards,

Quest Support Team
    (888) 212-0601
    Quest Nutrition

I redacted the ladies name for her privacy. But here is the response.

Thanks for posting. Still not convinced because like with all the deception out there the names are changed to keep the public in a state of confusion. As long as they use the name "Yeast extract" they can technically say, "MSG-free."

Yeast extract has replaced monosodium glutamate, or MSG, as a taste-booster in most processed foods because it appears to be a natural ingredient on food labels. However, yeast extract contains the same concentrated free glutamic acid as MSG. The increasing use of yeast extracts in foods ranging from soups and sauces to meats and canned fish is due to its distinctive taste, resulting from the peptides and amino acids formed by autolysis of yeast protein.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...yeast-extract/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast