Thread: Gun control non-event

Gun control non-event

My two cents:

The Sandy Hook tragedy was so disturbing, the gun control folks who have been laying in the weeds came joyously to life certain that the moment had come to push their agenda. The media was nearly hysterical in pushing the agenda. But a funny thing happened. Opinion polls showed very little change in public opinion about gun control even a few days after the event. And the lack of action in Washington reflected it.

It is important to remember that the last Federal assault rifle ban caused gun owners to rise up in an angry mob and flay the Congress. It was a bloodbath. Congressmen in very secure positions lost their seats and others had to fight for their lives. And Congress remembers. Gun control is poison for most congressmen. Congress let Obama know that it could not support any major gun control legislation and warned Obama that he could easily lose both houses and end up a lame duck if they passed anything substantial.

The result was a resounding thud as the gun control ballon hit the ground. Obama made all the right noises, but then punted the issue to a committee headed by Biden the Clown. Meanwhile in Congress, aside from the usual flack from the usual gang, there was a big nothing. Harry Reid said they didn't have time for gun control. Others said to wait for the Biden Committee. More delay.

And now, after massive fanfare, the President's list of executive actions is a great big nothing. It is fluff designed to make it look like he did something when he didn't. And the press is playing it as a major event just to keep from losing face.

Despite the media hysteria and the massive push by gun control advocates, there was never any interest on Capital Hill. Obama was forced into a corner by the media rant and had to make some kind of show of doing something, and he just did. But it is without substance. And now that he has made his show, he has punted back to Congress where it will die.

Not only will there be no gun ban, I now predict that there will be no magazine ban either. Indeed, I don't think there will be ANY real gun control coming out of Congress this session. We might even get the gun free school zone repealed.

Call me an optimist.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The most concerning to me is putting the issue of mental illness in the hands of teachers.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 01-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

The most concerning to me is putting the issue of mental illness in the hands of teachers.
    Where did you see that? Maybe I missed something.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Where did you see that? Maybe I missed something.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa..._time_full.pdf

That's just a wish list, not an executive action. The wish list includes lots of crap that is never going to happen because it requires the legislature. The actions he has actually taken unilaterally amount to nothing that I can see.

That's just a wish list, not an executive action. The wish list includes lots of crap that is never going to happen because it requires the legislature. The actions he has actually taken unilaterally amount to nothing that I can see.
    It's the one thing on the 'wish list' that I see easily happening. Big Pharma and higher education will love it. It is nothing that would abridge constitutional limits as they are defined these days and I believe would be added as an amendment to another bill in the dead of night. It is after all "for the children."

I think he's talking about this

Provide “Mental Health First Aid” training for teachers: Project AWARE includes
    $15 million for training for teachers and other adults who interact with youth to detect
    and respond to mental illness in children and young adults, including how to encourage
    adolescents and families experiencing these problems to seek treatment.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I think he's talking about this
    Right. But that has not happened. It was not done by Executive Order. Obama wants Congress to do it.

But maybe what Phill is saying is that Congress might not be afraid to do that and he would be right.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Right. But that has not happened. It was not done by Executive Order. Obama wants Congress to do it.

But maybe what Phill is saying is that Congress might not be afraid to do that and he would be right.
    Yeah, that is all I was saying. The advancement of that particular piece of his wish list I think would be a slam dunk given how many reps are beholden to big pharma. I think that this particular piece is quite insidious. Let the school system continue to indoctrinate those that are susceptible and diagnose individualists as mentally ill. Could you imagine what one would have to go through to try and clear their record once they become an adult to try and buy firearms. I doubt there will even be mechanism for it.

Yeah, that is all I was saying. The advancement of that particular piece of his wish list I think would be a slam dunk given how many reps are beholden to big pharma. I think that this particular piece is quite insidious. Let the school system continue to indoctrinate those that are susceptible and diagnose individualists as mentally ill. Could you imagine what one would have to go through to try and clear their record once they become an adult to try and buy firearms. I doubt there will even be mechanism for it.
    I agree. If I could only have one amendment to the Constitution, it would be to get government out of education in every way at every level.