Thread: Scientist Wants To Bring Star Trek Values to Congress

Scientist Wants To Bring Star Trek Values to Congress

https://www.wired.com/2017/12/geeks-guide-jess-phoenix/
    Phoenix is one of a growing number of scientists who are running for public office, spurred on by the group 314 Action, which helps teach scientists how to organize a political campaign. There’s a growing recognition among them that too many elected officials are ignorant of basic science, and that the only solution is for scientists to get in there and do a better job.

“The science candidates are going to be in favor of things that are scientifically proven to work,” Phoenix says. “That’s the one thing that unites all of us.”
    I wish they'd study economics instead.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Not the way it is currently taught.

“The science candidates are going to be in favor of things that are scientifically proven to work,” Phoenix says. “That’s the one thing that unites all of us.”
    Bull$#@!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

They should bring Orville values, Star Trek is so 70's.

If we don't vote for them, we won't live long and prosper.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

They should bring Orville values, Star Trek is so 70's.
    There's an awful lot of man gay in that show, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    There's an awful lot of man gay in that show, lol.
    Butthurt, butthurt everywhere....

Plus a black woman getting down with a blob of mucus. Very 2018.

“These guys are basically gutting every environmental protection that existed,” ... “It’s a trend we have to stop now. We can’t let this continue.”
    How about the Prime Directive adapted for Earth?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Landru for President 2020
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

There’s a growing recognition among [scientists] that too many elected officials are ignorant of basic science, and that the only solution is for scientists to get in there and do a better job.

Well, science (properly understood) is value-free and neither informs nor is informed by moral principles - so I guess scientists should feel right at home in the halls of power ... (and this Phoenix fella already seems to have the requisite smug and self-righteous certainty that he knows "what's best for everyone" down cold ...)

President Q 2020-

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    President Q 2020-

I think Trump comes pretty close.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Phoenix is one of a growing number of scientists who are running for public office,
    So much fail... so little time.

spurred on by the group 314 Action, which helps teach scientists how to organize a political campaign.
    What could possibly go wrong?

There’s a growing recognition among them that too many elected officials are ignorant of basic science,
    True, but that isn't the problem at all.

and that the only solution is for scientists to get in there and do a better job.
    ...depending on what constitutes "better".

“The science candidates are going to be in favor of things that are scientifically proven to work,”
    What could possibly go wrong?

Phoenix says. “That’s the one thing that unites all of us.”
    If he believes this, then he's not only a fool, but dangerous in the deal. Putting "science" up as the new religion... what could possibly go wrong?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Landru for President 2020

Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Wut?
    Landru is not amused ...

Landru is not amused ...

Mine is scarier.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Mine is scarier.
    That is why you should support Landru for President in 2020.

That is why you should support Landru for President in 2020.

Joy to you friend, and peace. Come for the festival, ayre ya?
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Joy to you friend, and peace. Come for the festival, ayre ya?
    It's the will of Landru. I hear and obey the voice of Landru.

It's the will of Landru. I hear and obey the voice of Landru.

You ARE of the body. Joy and peace, and all things good are ours in Landru. Hear the voice of Landru and be filled:

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

https://www.wired.com/2017/12/geeks-guide-jess-phoenix/

Science? Sure, lets talk about Genetics and their link to IQ, shall we? No? I wonder why not?