Thread: The Conservative Surrender# Tom Woods & Paul Gottfried

The Conservative Surrender# Tom Woods & Paul Gottfried

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Always nice to hear from Paul Gottfried. He has a podcast now with another guy named Joseph Cotto which is very worthwhile, despite the boomer audio:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-P...KYQPq-9Haak9gg
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Always nice to hear from Paul Gottfried. He has a podcast now with another guy named Joseph Cotto which is very worthwhile, despite the boomer audio:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-P...KYQPq-9Haak9gg

I'm a semi-regular listener to the very failed podcaster Tom Woods but didn't know about Gottfried's podcast. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by ammodotcom View Post
    I'm a semi-regular listener to the very failed podcaster Tom Woods but didn't know about Gottfried's podcast. Thanks for the link!
    Your Welcome!

(I think you'll get that one.)
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Out of curiosity, why do you refer to Tom Woods as a "very failed podcaster"?

By conservative surrender, Tom is referring to his own activities in 2015, when he attacked Rand and praised Trump, no?
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 06-25-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    By conservative surrender, Tom is referring to his own activities in 2015, when he attacked Rand and praised Trump, no?
    I don't recall him praising Trump and I've been listening to him for a long time. Currently reviewing this podcast (about halfway through) and about the most he says about Trump is he doesn't talk/act like the establishment (a fair thing to say in 2015) but would be a disaster on most policies and maybe slightly better than his opponents on others. Lew Rockwell, the guest, is saying the same things but on his website it was obvious he was rooting for Trump (and still is) and right after the 2016 election Rockwell said he was glad Trump won - Rockwell deserves heaps of criticism. Woods wasn't doing that kind of stuff.

As for Rand I'm glad he's in the Senate but his own rhetoric during the 2016 presidential election did him in. Extremely wishy-washy, trying to gain wide appeal but failed to appeal to anyone. Rand Bill Welded himself in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Your Welcome!

(I think you'll get that one.)
    I definitely did.

Quote Originally Posted by BortSimpson View Post
    Out of curiosity, why do you refer to Tom Woods as a "very failed podcaster"?
    It's an inside joke between him and Michael Malice. He's an interesting character and has been on the podcast numerous times.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I definitely did.

It's an inside joke between him and Michael Malice. He's an interesting character and has been on the podcast numerous times.
    Oh wow, I listen to Tom Woods often but I guess I haven't listened to those Malice episodes closely enough. I think they're a little too "jokey" for me though I do remember laughing out loud when Malice said something like "if you were ever put in charge of the Federal Reserve, would you rename the 'dollar' to the 'smacker'"?

I listened to some of Malice being interviewed on Joe Rogan (link below) btw, and I thought Rogan got more out of the interview. Not trying to take a shot at Tom Woods, btw, who I generally really like.

Last edited by BortSimpson; 06-30-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BortSimpson View Post
    I thought Rogan got more out of the interview.
    No, I completely get what you mean and it's a fair point. All the sharp edges you get in an adversarial conversation are sanded down.

To some extent they're just recycling previous conversations and retracing known territory. It's hard to make that captivating.

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    I don't recall him praising Trump and I've been listening to him for a long time. Currently reviewing this podcast (about halfway through) and about the most he says about Trump is he doesn't talk/act like the establishment (a fair thing to say in 2015) but would be a disaster on most policies and maybe slightly better than his opponents on others. Lew Rockwell, the guest, is saying the same things but on his website it was obvious he was rooting for Trump (and still is) and right after the 2016 election Rockwell said he was glad Trump won - Rockwell deserves heaps of criticism. Woods wasn't doing that kind of stuff.
    I beg to differ; I won't spend the time to go back and find the soundbites, but he took the same position as Lew.

Hence, I have negative interest in anything that that person has to say about anything.

As for Rand I'm glad he's in the Senate but his own rhetoric during the 2016 presidential election did him in. Extremely wishy-washy, trying to gain wide appeal but failed to appeal to anyone. Rand Bill Welded himself in 2016
    Rand has pursued a strategy of following Trump in the terribly mistaken belief that he could convert Trumpers to libertarianism.

Rand is a good fellow, but a very incompetent politician; the Trump people are a personality cult

There is zero chance of converting them to anything.

You might as well go to Jonestown and hand out fliers.

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post

Lew's come back around quite a bit. His website is much less Trump now & more openminded- I think he fell for the same stuff most forum members did & then woke up to reality.
    There is no spoon.