• Poulan

1 6.25%
  • Stihl

14 87.50%
  • All others

1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is the Best Brand Gas Operated Chainsaw for the Money?

Quote Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
    Thanks, that was one of the things I forgot to mention, they weigh way less than a gas saw.
    I live on an arce and a half and have enough cord to go from the garage to any tree and have done so. Luckily the amp draw is low enough to not burn up my cords. Now if I could only get them to come in solar power without the thousands that it takes to get a solar system going, lol.
    I would buy one like the one I have in solar if it was less than , say , $220. I have had the other one for decades probably gave $50 for it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Of all the chain saws I have owned my Stihl "Farm Boss" has been the best one. Hands down. For Suzanimal that would be the orange and white one.
    I've been real happy with our own Stihl Farm Boss. The only other saw I've had any other experience with was a Sears brand back in the 70's/80's.

I've been running our Stihl 3 to 6 times a year for about 5 years now (one to three medium trees each session). I sharpen my chain with a file/gauge set every use, keep it well oiled, and try to use fresh gas.

Enough saw for anything on our property and our general area for the amount of use it gets. We paid close to $400 (Hawaii) for it 5 years ago and it looks like it still can be had for around that.

It was pricey but I really dig it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Oyarde bought a new chainsaw and asked those of us who are cutting wood, what we were using. The manliest of men weighed in and offered opinions. But there was no poll, so I created a thread with a poll. Mods, if you can merge the two and include the poll, it would be cool.
    Well , I have used the new saw three days now . I have to say , so far , best one I have had in modern times .

30 years ago Jonsered was the top saw on the market, at the time I used a pioneer which I tweaked to out cut any saw on the market. In the past 5 years I have tried poulan and Jonsered both are junk IMO. I just tried a new one called a Remington and it reminds me of the pioneer of old, lots of power. It doesn't quite matchup to the pioneer that I used to use, as I used to file the rackers down quite a bit on a brand new a chain. I hated waiting on the saw. BTW learn how to sharpen your own chainsaw those sharpening machines ruin a chain. I would always turn down a free sharpening from my favorite saw shop.

Supporting Member
    Virginia Beach, VA

I can suggest you two of my favorite gas chainsaws those you can buy...

1. Stihl MS 261 C-M
    Engine Size: 50.5 cc
    Price: $550
    Engine weight: 10.8 lb
    Likes: The Stihl might be a pound heavier and an inch longer than the competition, but it's a good, torque-rich saw that bites in and stays with the cut, no matter how tough it gets. Part of the reason for that is the saw makes its full horsepower (4.0 hp) at a couple hundred lower rpm than the other saws, so it's not working as hard.
    This saw features the new STIHL M-Tronic onboard microprocessor, which digitally monitors and automatically compensates for changes in your work conditions including elevation, temperature, fuel quality, and dirty air filters. Say goodbye to manual adjustments.

2. Husqvarna 550 XP

Engine Size: 50.1 cc
    Price: $600
    Likes: A lightning-fast saw with great throttle response and plentiful torque. We liked the way the gas and bar-oil caps had fold-up handles that stayed out of the way until needed and were easy to use with gloves on. And with a side-mount chain-adjustment screw, it's fast to service.

Quote Originally Posted by alicewfalls View Post
    This saw features the new STIHL M-Tronic onboard microprocessor, which digitally monitors and automatically compensates for changes in your work conditions including elevation, temperature, fuel quality, and dirty air filters. Say goodbye to manual adjustments.
    Ummm, no, just, no.

I have a small 18" Husqvarna chainsaw. Works fine for me.

The only bad I have to say about it is that the starter cord broke on me after using it a few times, but I have replaced this with a much more heavy duty cord and the saw has made sawing chores a lot more fun. Before I had a cheap chainsaw, I can definitely say this thing goes through the same wood twice as fast as my old one (even with a sharp blade).

I'd have bought a Stihl if I needed my chainsaw weekly, however, I need it two or three times a year. I think I use about a gallon of fuel a year in my chainsaw.. Not much.
    "I am a bird"

I don't know what Mr A does to chainsaws but we have several dead ones and one red one that barely stays cranked. He cusses it a lot. I told him that if he talked nicer to it, it might work better but he won't listen to me. We borrowed our neighbor's chainsaw when we had trees come down during the hurricane in September and it was as screwy as ours. It was also red but it was smaller than ours and also "a fuuuuuccckkkk, fuuuuuccckkk, fuuuccckkking whore", lol.

I might try to buy him a new chainsaw for Christmas. I'll just go to the store and ask for the one that's not a $#@!ing whore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't know what Mr A does to chainsaws but we have several dead ones and one red one that barely stays cranked. He cusses it a lot. I told him that if he talked nicer to it, it might work better but he won't listen to me. We borrowed our neighbor's chainsaw when we had trees come down during the hurricane in September and it was as screwy as ours. It was also red but it was smaller than ours and also "a fuuuuuccckkkk, fuuuuuccckkk, fuuuccckkking whore", lol.

I might try to buy him a new chainsaw for Christmas. I'll just go to the store and ask for the one that's not a $#@!ing whore.
    Well for whatever is is worth I can offer my professional opinion . I do not think the saw would perform better if he talked nicer to it . It probably really is what he is calling it and knows it . Something like that , well , the whole neighbor hood should know . It may prevent some kid from growing up and buying one .

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I bought my husband a good Stihl about 20 years ago. He used it once. I asked him to use it again 2 years ago when a tree came down in the back yard. He took it apart and lost some of the pieces. Last year the neighbor asked if he could cut the the down tree for firewood.

FML.

I'm buying Mr A an electric chainsaw (red) and a bunch of extension cords for Christmas.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I know what brand it is.

It is a Craftsman, made by Poulan.

Its best use is to tie to things that you don't want to be able to swim.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 11-20-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Supporting Member
    Virginia Beach, VA

You can buy "Stihl MS 261 C-M" Pole Saw

Engine Size: 50.5 cc

Price: $550

The Stihl might be a pound heavier and an inch longer than the competition, but it's a good, torque-rich saw that bites in and stays with the cut, no matter how tough it gets. Part of the reason for that is the saw makes its full horsepower (4.0 hp) at a couple hundred lower rpm than the other saws, so it's not working as hard.

Last edited by alicewfalls; 11-21-2017 at 02:09 AM.

I'm buying Mr A an electric chainsaw (red) and a bunch of extension cords for Christmas.

Why not buy him a make up kit, dresses and stiletto heels while yer at it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I bought my husband a good Stihl about 20 years ago. He used it once. I asked him to use it again 2 years ago when a tree came down in the back yard. He took it apart and lost some of the pieces. Last year the neighbor asked if he could cut the the down tree for firewood.

FML.
    I have to buy my own saws.

It just doesn't seem right that David Bradley would have to fall under the category of "all others".

A truly innovative brand available at every Sears nationwide.

All you need is a time machine to get one now.

A few years ago, my neighbor helped me cut up a fallen tree in my yard and he used his grandfather's old Homelite XL.

A lone Homelite XL running in the woods is a beautiful sound.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a pair of Stihl MS260 Pro's.

Love 'em. No problems sans regular service 15+ years. Can't tell you how many chains I've put through them. They've easily seen a hundred cord.

I always run ethanol free fuel; 91 octane and Stihl brand 50:1 mix.

New about $550 at the dealer (I think the 260 Pro is now called the 261); you can usually find them used around $250 on craigslist; I dickered a rookie pawn shop clerk down to $100 for one of mine.

For heating your home and tending your homestead I'd recommend anything from Stihl in the MS250 to MS290 range. Anything bigger than that gets needlessly heavy for homeowner work and anything less will slow you down when you have a day's worth of making rounds for winter ahead of you.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Stihl MS193t arborist with a 14" bar for limbing and top work

Stihl MS310 with a 20" bar for bigger stuff

I purchased both saws new (about 15 years apart), and have been impressed with the engineering and power of both types.

The 193t I can use for 8-10 hours straight - not a problem. The MS310 will hurt me after only 3-5 hours. Its probably more to do with the scale of the work than the size of the saw. Regardless, the 193 is deceptively easy to use due to its size and weight, but considerable more dangerous IMO than the 310 for those very reasons. I've had to consciously stop myself from making a 1 handed (reaching) cut - I can see how someone with less discipline could "get too familiar", if you know what I mean, and end up buzzing their face or jugular.

If you're in the market for a saw, and possibly new to using them, some education might go a long way - there's some good arborist training videos on youtube. Learning about compression, tension, barber chairs, hinge cuts, humboldts, kickback, the various cutting zones/types, chain brake, etc is time well spent, IMO.

While chainsaws are super useful, they are sure to become "darwinian acceleration devices" when unleashed upon operators who dont have sufficient respect or proper knowledge of their operation and use. Just my 2 cents - to keep in mind for lending to neighbors too.

Be safe...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yeah but who dresses you when you go out of the house?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

You probably get better saws that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Oyarde bought a new chainsaw and asked those of us who are cutting wood, what we were using. The manliest of men weighed in and offered opinions. But there was no poll, so I created a thread with a poll. Mods, if you can merge the two and include the poll, it would be cool.
    I have an old Stihl 041. It is a beast.

Also have Husqvarna 455. Very good saw.

Also a Stihl MS 250. Good running, but some parts a bit delicate. I broke the nib off the fuel tank to which the hose attaches. New tank is $100+. I put in a grommet and a new, longer line and we're basically good.

The older saws are a handful to heft all day, but they last eternally and are very powerful compared with their modern equivalents. At least that has been my experience.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I'm very interested in this thread. We seem to be chainsaw killers, they usually only last about a year and I'm not sure if we're just buying crappy chainsaws, if we're (and by "we", I mean my husband) doing something to them or a combination of both. (I need to read more about that gas issue.) Our current chainsaw is a red one, it's a piece of $#@!, I don't recommend it and our last chainsaw was a lime green one, much prettier than the red one (I picked it out) but it didn't last very long either.
    Like Phill mentioned, the MS 290 Farm Boss Stihl is about the very best "mid range" saw that has ever been made. I have had two, my dad has one, my brother has one, my buddy the G/C has one, and they are, for the money, the very best out there. The engine will easily drive a 20 inch bar, which means it will handle all but the largest trees, but is still balanced nicely so it won't kill you after a day of using it, or become unsafe by being too light or too heavy.

It is truely the very best in that range.

Which, of course, means it has been discontinued.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ms-290-discontinued/

In it's place is a $#@!ing computerized "upgrade", the MS291.

I have no experience with these so I have no idea of how well the work, how powerful they are, or their long term reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Yeah but who dresses you when you go out of the house?
    Me...why?

@Suzanimal

Also, Stihl makes a brand of chain marked with yellow links.

They do not comply with Uncle Sucker's safety kickback standards, (yeah Uncle regulates chain saw chains) so they are covered with scary warnings of spontaneous decapitation if you use them.

The fact of the matter is that they are essentially what you would have for a chain from 1970 or or so.

Which means it cuts wood as slick as whale $#@! through an ice flow.

That reduces wear and tear on the saw, decreases fuel consumption and eliminates overheating of both the saw and the bar.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ch...w-chains/rslk/

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Me...why?

Damn you.

Sir.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Supporting Member
    Virginia Beach, VA

Andreas Stihl AG & Company KG is a German manufacturer of chainsaws and other handheld power equipment including trimmers and blowers. Their headquarters are in Waiblingen, Baden-Württemberg near Stuttgart, Germany. Stihl was founded in 1926 by Andreas Stihl, an important innovator in early chainsaw production.

Bar length is one way to judge a saw's size and the work it can handle. A saw with a longer bar can cut larger-diameter wood in a single pass. Bar lengths for most homeowner saws range from 6 inches on smaller electric saws to 20 inches on larger, gasoline-powered models.

Quote Originally Posted by alicewfalls View Post
    Andreas Stihl AG & Company KG is a German manufacturer of chainsaws and other handheld power equipment including trimmers and blowers. Their headquarters are in Waiblingen, Baden-Württemberg near Stuttgart, Germany. Stihl was founded in 1926 by Andreas Stihl, an important innovator in early chainsaw production.

Bar length is one way to judge a saw's size and the work it can handle. A saw with a longer bar can cut larger-diameter wood in a single pass. Bar lengths for most homeowner saws range from 6 inches on smaller electric saws to 20 inches on larger, gasoline-powered models.
    I have an electric knife longer than that. o_O

I have an electric knife longer than that. o_O
    Probably about the size of filet knife I prefer .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12