Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: [17 Dead] Numerous Fatalities at Douglas High School, Parkland, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I can't speak for everybody, just myself, but I'm feeling backed into a corner by the violent, genocidal rhetoric of the Bolshevik left, that, far from being shouted down in academia and media and the public square, is being encouraged and cheered on.

Thus my increasingly hard nosed and unforgiving stance.
    But would Ron Paul really advocate matching the violence of the rhetoric and not the logic?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Florida lawmakers postpone consideration of bill that would make buying firearms even easier

Commissioner of Agriculture Adam Putnam (R), who is running for governor of Florida, authored the provision and asked state Sen. Kelli Stargel (R) to tuck it into the end of a 98-page agriculture bill that deals mostly with oyster harvesting, livestock, and liquefied gas. The controversial provision would require the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, the state agency that monitors gun purchases, to issue concealed carry firearm licenses to people within 90 days of their application, even if their background checks are incomplete.
    While current law requires an individual to provide a complete background check and wait however long is necessary, the new bill would set a time limit and then allow the agency to revoke a person’s permit if disqualifying information turns up later.

More at: https://thinkprogress.org/florida-gu...-8e6768d4503c/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ld-cut-program

Trump Calls For Mental Health Action After Shooting; His Budget Would Cut Programs

President Trump expressed grief Thursday over the school shooting in Florida and sought to comfort victims and their families in his first public address since the mass killing at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School left 17 people dead and many others injured.

"To every parent, teacher and child who is hurting so badly, we are here for you whatever you need, whatever we can do to ease your pain," he said.

His speech from the White House went on for more than six minutes but apart from offering sympathy it lacked specific details on how the administration could mitigate the scourge of on-campus shootings.

Trump did, however, resurrect a theme frequently raised by Republicans when confronted with widespread calls for gun-control reform: Calls to "tackle the difficult issue of mental health."

Broward County Mayor Beam told NPR's Morning Edition that the suspect had been a client at mental health facilities, and had been expelled from the high school for disciplinary reasons.

Trump's statements echoed a tweet he posted earlier in the day.

"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior," he wrote, before going on to remark that, "Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!" he wrote.

The president's 2019 budget proposal released Monday indicates there are a few areas where Trump would like to boost mental health resources.
    But the budget blueprint also slashes spending for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration by $665 million. Additionally, Bloomberg reported the National Institute of Mental Health would see a 30 percent reduction in funding — a half a billion dollar decrease — in 2019.
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Maybe it isn't the feds' job.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That'll help.

Seriously.

It's the federal programs that generally advocate Big Pharma 'push pills on 'em and push 'em out the door' so-called solutions. There's every reason to believe that pushing SSRIs on children is a major part of this problem. And, of course, there's no way in hell Washington can spot the real problems from 1000, 2000 or even 3000 or more miles away. That's just impossible.

Yeah, get Washington out of it. That will absolutely help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    To hell with the bastard.

"To hell with the bastard". Yeah, that's part of the problem.

Nobody wants to look at the REAL reasons why something like this might happen. No, they just want to call the guy "evil sub-human scum" (easy to do) and not try to look further into why this might have happened (much harder to do). There's not ONE reason this happened. There are a lot of reasons, probably just a domino effect of bad luck, (lots of rejection and major traumatic losses) too much anger for one very young person who was not mentally strong enough to cope or who already had mental issues (and probably pharma drugs messing his head all up) and didn't have much of a support system. Until we look at the whole picture, nothing will ever improve. You'll just have the same idiots looking the other way when mental health, our sick society, pharma drugs or gun-free zones are mentioned, and then turning around and screaming how it's all because of lack of gun-control!

Don't even get me started on the salivating news media.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    "To hell with the bastard". Yeah, that's part of the problem.

Nobody wants to look at the REAL reasons why something like this might happen. No, they just want to call the guy "evil sub-human scum" (easy to do) and not try to look further into why this might have happened (much harder to do). There's not ONE reason this happened. There are a lot of reasons, probably just a domino effect of bad luck, (lots of rejection and major traumatic losses) too much anger for one very young person who was not mentally strong enough to cope or who already had mental issues (and probably pharma drugs messing his head all up) and didn't have much of a support system. Until we look at the whole picture, nothing will ever improve. You'll just have the same idiots looking the other way when mental health, our sick society, pharma drugs or gun-free zones are mentioned, and then turning around and screaming how it's all because of lack of gun-control!

Don't even get me started on the salivating news media.
    Why did Albert Fish eat children? Nurture issues?

Evil exists in the world.

That is regardless of pharmacology problems and broken homes.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

This should cheer everybody up: https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...kland-florida/

Presidential Proclamation Honoring the Victims of the Tragedy in Parkland, Florida

Our Nation grieves with those who have lost loved ones in the shooting at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. As a mark of solemn respect for the victims of the terrible act of violence perpetrated on February 14, 2018, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, February 19, 2018. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifteenth day of February, in the year of our Lord two thousand eighteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-second.

DONALD J. TRUMP

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    But would Ron Paul really advocate matching the violence of the rhetoric and not the logic?
    I don't honestly know. I'm sure he has addressed the subject at some point.

I know he would assert that you have an absolute right to defend yourself, that I do know.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-15-2018 at 09:31 PM.

What about the other schools shootings this year (they did not have as many casualties- some had zero): http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3821162

Jan. 3, St. Johns, Mich.
    The first school shooting took place just three days into the new year, at East Olive Elementary School in St. Johns, Mich.

A 31-year-old man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the former school’s parking lot.

Jan. 4, Seattle, Wash.
    A gunshot was fired at the New Start High School in Seattle, Wash. The round entered an office window and ended up lodged in a three-ring binder. No one was injured.

Jan, 10 Sierra Vista, Ariz.
    A teen was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a Coronado Elementary School bathroom.

Jan. 10, San Bernardino, Calif.
    At least one shot was fired, shattering a California State University classroom window. No injuries were reported.

Jan. 10, Denison, Texas
    A bullet was accidentally fired through a classroom wall at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Center. No one was injured.

Jan. 15, Marshall, Texas
    Gunshots rang out on the Wiley College Campus in Marshall. A bullet went through a residential hall’s dorm room. No injuries were reported.

Jan. 20, Winston-Salem, N.C.
    A Winston-Salem State University football player was shot and killed at an event at Wake Forest University.

Jan. 22, Italy, Texas
    A teenage girl was wounded at Italy High school after a 16-year-old suspect opened fire with a semi-automatic hangun.

Jan. 22, Gentilly, La.
    A shooting outside The NET Charter High School injured a 14-year-old boy.

Jan. 23, Benton, Ky.
    Two people were killed and another 15 were shot at Marshall County High School.

Jan. 25, Mobile, Ala.
    Murphy High School student Jonah Neal fired a gun on campus. No one was injured.

Jan. 26, Dearborn, Mich.
    Shots were fired from a car in Dearborn High School's parking lot. No injuries were reported.

Jan. 31, Pa.
    Gunshots erupted as a fight broke out outside of Lincoln High School. A 32-year-old man was shot twice and later pronounced dead.

Feb. 1, Los Angeles, Calif.
    An accidental shooting injured five children at the Salvador B. Castro Middle School in downtown Los Angeles.

Feb. 5, Oxon Hill, Md.
    A teen was shot outside of Oxon Hill High School. The victim survived.

Feb. 5, Maplewood, Minn.
    A third-grader pulled the trigger on a cop's gun, firing a shot at the Harmony Learning Center. No one was injured.

Feb. 8, New York, N.Y.
    A teen was taken into custody after a shot was fired inside Metropolitan High School. No one was injured.

Feb. 14, Broward County, Fla.
    A former student killed 17 people atStoneman Douglas High.

What about the other schools shootings this year (they did not have as many casualties- some had zero): http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3821162
    What about them?

Looks like a lot of them happened outside, in parking lots or in circumstances unrelated to the school or students.

One was a cop's gun.

A quick glance at the locations seem to be many of the high crime urban areas that see a lot of crime in general.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Why did Albert Fish eat children? Nurture issues?

Evil exists in the world.

That is regardless of pharmacology problems and broken homes.

Maybe Nikolas Cruz could have been helped before the evil took over.
    Maybe there's another kid out there like Nikolas who will be helped.
    You never know what might make a difference. I don't think it's wrong to seek to understand.

What about them?

Looks like a lot of them happened outside, in parking lots or in circumstances unrelated to the school or students.

One was a cop's gun.

A quick glance at the locations seem to be many of the high crime urban areas that see a lot of crime in general.
    You are right- several are pretty weak.

And your point is?

If you are shilling for gun control don't bother.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Officials Haven't Found Evidence Linking Florida Shooting Suspect To White Supremacists (UPDATE)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-sup...181802597.html

UPDATE: As of Thursday evening, law enforcement officials in Florida have reportedly not yet confirmed that a link exists between the Parkland school shooting suspect and the white supremacist paramilitary group Republic of Florida. ROF’s Jordan Jereb has not supplied evidence for his initial claim that the shooting suspect was associated with his group, and he later walked back his statements. Additional reporting by HuffPost has not found any credible links between the two. The claim was nevertheless widely reported, including in a headline on HuffPost’s front page.
    The $#@! that group (ROF) talks is so ridiculous that they are probably just workers.
    FJB

Former family member confirms Cruz was on "medication" for emotional issues.

Roger Cruz died over a decade ago and Lynda struggled with the boys, said Barbara Kumbatovich, a former sister-in-law. “She did the best she could. They were adopted and had some emotional issues,” she said.

Kumbatovich said she believed Nikolas Cruz was on medication to deal with his emotional fragility. “She was struggling with Nikolas the last couple years,” she said.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Maybe Nikolas Cruz could have been helped before the evil took over.
    Maybe there's another kid out there like Nikolas who will be helped.
    You never know what might make a difference. I don't think it's wrong to seek to understand.
    Yep.

I've worked with a lot of troubled youth and most of them just need to be loved & accepted.

The answer to all this, IMHPOV, is:

Get the government out of so-called "education". The gov indoctrination system is destroying kids.

Quit drugging kids. Period.

Get rid of "gun-free" zones. These just invite the criminal mind. The only people w/o guns in these zones are law-abiding citizens.

And question everything. Many of these shootings are highly suspicious.
    There is no spoon.

Former family member confirms Cruz was on "medication" for emotional issues.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy
    Allow me to retort, this has been a big issue for as long as there have been pharmaceuticals and most of us here know why.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...highlight=SSRI
    FJB

I recently reactivated my Facebook, after being away from it for a few years… and of course everyone is talking about this shooting. Of course all the libs are pushing hard for more gun control, blaming it on the NRA, etc. etc.

How would you respond to this? (See the screenshot below) I know that you can't compare the US to countries like Australia or England, when they have a completely different mindset… But I want to respond to people who are saying stuff like this because if things keep going the way they've been going, this is where were heading. This is what they want… Gun bans, just like in Australia and England.

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I recently reactivated my Facebook, after being away from it for a few years… and of course everyone is talking about this shooting. Of course all the libs are pushing hard for more gun control, blaming it on the NRA, etc. etc.

How would you respond to this? (See the screenshot below) I know that you can't compare the US to countries like Australia or England, when they have a completely different mindset… But I want to respond to people who are saying stuff like this because if things keep going the way they've been going, this is where were heading. This is what they want… Gun bans, just like in Australia and England.

The drop in murders mirrored one that took place in the US at the time, all they did was change what kind of murders they have.
    Even if gun control did work the number of gun deaths is tiny (including accidents) and not worth the loss of freedoms and it ignores the crimes prevented by guns.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

A good paper on the subject:

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery...076088&EXT=pdf

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

I doubt liberals will listen but I would say it is pretty good evidence government is behind mass shootings and they have no more need of them once people give up their guns.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

https://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2012/...ustralias.html

John Lott's Website

Welcome! Follow me on twitter at @johnrlottjr or at https://crimeresearch.org. Please e-mail questions to johnrlott@crimeresearch.org.

8/13/2012

Some notes on claims about Australia's crime rates

After the attack at the Aurora movie theater, there have been a lot of discussion about Australia's gun control laws. For example, see this piece at the Huffington Post.
    A decade-long examination of the program in the journal "Injury Prevention" concluded that "chances of gun death in Australia dropped twice as steeply" after the program was implemented. A study by Harvard University in the Spring of 2011 suggested that the program helped reduce, either causally or directly, firearm deaths, gun-related suicides and accidental shootings. The Washington Post, summarizing many of the studies, concluded that there was "strong circumstantial evidence for the law's effectiveness." . . .
    Of course, the Huffington Post ignores that more sophisticated research finds no benefit from these laws. A paper by Lee and Suardi in Economic Inquiry in 2009 does an excellent job of looking at the issue.

Here is the actual data from Australia. First note that gun ownership exhibits a very interesting pattern that isn't often acknowledged. There was a large gun buyback in 1996 and 1997 that reduced gun ownership from 3.2 to 2.2 million guns. But immediately after that gun ownership increased dramatically and is essentially back to where it was before the buyback. Why is that important? Well, if it is the number of guns that is important, you should initially see a large drop in suicides or crimes and then see it increasing. Yet, in none of these data series do you observe that pattern.
    For example, homicides didn't fall until eight years after the laws. It is not clear what theory they have for why the long delay would occur. Nor can I even find an acknowledgment of that long lag in the cited literature. A more natural explanation for the drop at the eight year point would be the substantial increases in police forces that occurred at that time.

Crime can change for lots of reasons besides changes in gun control laws. One way to get a handle on this is to see how Australian homicides are changing relative to other crime rates. A single continuous crime data series isn't available, but the two diagrams below show how homicides is falling almost continuously as a fraction of violent crime. If anything, the drop in homicides relative to overall violent crime was biggest in the 1970s.

See also homicides relative to overall crime. Again, it is very hard to see any benefit from the gun control laws.

UPDATE: Comments on the Huffington Post Show today. Purely cross-sectional evidence in references to the UK, Germany, etc. doesn't mention that homicide rates were even lower relative to the US before they had gun control. The graph that they showed across countries (at about 12:55) makes it look like the US has a similar murder rate to other countries such as Russia, Mexico, and other South American countries. For further information see here and here.

Finally, despite all the claims to the contrary, Australia didn't ban guns, though it did impose stricter criteria for people to own certain types of guns.

UPDATE 2: Ann Coulter has this interesting discussion of a New York Times piece by Rosenthal claiming "More Guns = More Killing":
    Rosenthal also produces a demonstrably false statistic about Australia's gun laws, as if it's a fact that has been carefully vetted by the Newspaper of Record, throwing in the true source only at the tail-end of the paragraph:
    "After a gruesome mass murder in 1996 provoked public outrage, Australia enacted stricter gun laws, including a 28-day waiting period before purchase and a ban on semiautomatic weapons. ... Since, rates of both homicide and suicide have dropped 50 percent ...," said Ms. Peters, who lobbied for the legislation." . . .
    Whether or not the homicide rate went up or down in Australia as a result of strict gun control laws imposed in 1997 is a fact that could have been checked by Times researchers. But they didn't, because facts wouldn't have given them the answer they wanted.
    Needless to say, the effect of Australia's gun ban has been extensively researched by Australian academics. As numerous studies have shown: After the gun ban, gun homicides in Australia did not decline any more than they were expected to without a gun ban.Thus, for example, according to the Australian Institute of Criminology, the homicide rate has been in steady decline from 1969 to the present, with only one marked uptick in 1998-99 -- right after the gun ban was enacted.
    The showstopper for anti-gun activists like Ms. Rosenthal and Ms. Peters is the fact that suicides by firearm seemed to decrease more than expected after the 1997 gun ban.
    But so did suicides by other means. Something other than the gun ban must have caused people to stop guzzling poison and jumping off bridges. (Some speculate that it's the availability of anti-depressants like Prozac.)
    Curiously -- and not mentioned by Rosenthal -- the number of accidental firearms deaths skyrocketed after Australia's 1997 gun ban, although the law included stringent gun training requirements.
    It turns out, until the coroner has certified a death as a "suicide," it's classified as "unintentional." So either mandatory gun training has led to more accidents, or a lot of suicides are ending up in the "accident" column.
    Most pinheadedly, especially for a graduate of the Harvard Medical School, Rosenthal says: "Before (the gun ban), Australia had averaged one mass shooting a year. (Since then,) there have been no mass killings."
    Mass murder is a rare enough crime that any statistician will tell you discerning trends is impossible. In this country, the FBI doesn't even track mass murder as a specific crime category. . . .
    Totally unbeknownst to Elisabeth Rosenthal, Australian academics have already examined the mass murder rate by firearm by comparing Australia to a control country: New Zealand. (Do they teach "control groups" at Harvard?)
    New Zealand is strikingly similar to Australia. Both are isolated island nations, demographically and socioeconomically similar. Their mass murder rate before Australia's gun ban was nearly identical: From 1980 to 1996, Australia's mass murder rate was 0.0042 incidents per 100,000 people and New Zealand's was 0.0050 incidents per 100,000 people.
    The principal difference is that, post-1997, New Zealand remained armed to the teeth -- including with guns that were suddenly banned in Australia.
    While it's true that Australia has had no more mass shootings since its gun ban, neither has New Zealand, despite continuing to be massively armed.
    . . .

The paper by McPhedran and Baker that Ann might be citing has some interesting facts. I frequently hear about the mass public shootings in Australia prior to the 1996 law, but it turns out that there were only 4 of them between 1980 and 1996. 8 other attacks were "domestic" attacks. If you look at total multiple victim-suicide attacks in Australia, the attacks are hardly eliminated after 1996.

Other:

A discussion of Europe is available here.
    Mayor Bloomberg's proposals are discussed in the Wall Street Journal here.
    So-called assault weapon bans are discussed here.
    The importance of gun free zones is discussed here.
    Other gun control laws that could impact these public mass shootings is discussed here.
    See also ALER piece here.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Stephen Barrett said... I notice a massacre at Monash Uni in 2002. 2 were killed and 5 wounded by a man with a firearm. New Zealand has had no massacres in the same period and no bans on guns so they have semi automatic firearms. It does not appear that the Pt Arthur laws did anything good.
    1/02/2013 4:36 AM

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    james von Brunn said... the claims that there have been no mass shootings in Australia since Howard's gun laws were enacted in the late 1990s is totally erroneous;

if you define a mass shooting as involving four or more fatalities, then, there have been several such....most noticeably during the gang-related killings in Melbourne, 2000-2005;

there has been an exponential increase in violent crime of all sorts since the NFA....most noticeably of armed, violent home invasions....a simple Google search will quickly establish, from raw police data, that there has been almost 2000 armed violent home invasions in an eighteen month period.... http://tinyurl.com/0zz-hm-invsns-ggl-rslts ; this is an ongoing trend;

further-more, there have been continuing claims in the media that police in various Australian states have been 'covering up' violent crime stats; a couple of years ago, an Assitant Commissioner of Police in Victoria resigned over just such a claim.....viz: Sir Ken Jones;

overall, Howard's gun laws have been an unmitigated disaster with many Aussies now under siege in their own homes and terrorised both in public and in private by heavily armed, psychopathic thugs.....as per the predictions of Prfssr Lott and others over the years.

*note*
    even with the heavy restrictions and conditions for obtaining a shooters license in Australia, self-defence is still not a legitimate reason to apply for a fire-arms license!
    10/27/2013 6:00 AM

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rather be pushed out a window, stabbed, killed with a brick, run over?

How would you respond to this? (See the screenshot below)
    What are their stabbing death statistics? Bombs? Run over with trucks? Go for death tolls in general, not just guns. Crazy psychos will find a way to kill in the absence of any one particular tool.

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

I doubt liberals will listen but I would say it is pretty good evidence government is behind mass shootings and they have no more need of them once people give up their guns.
    That's exactly what I want to say, but these are people who still believe everything they're told by the MSM, so if I say that, they'll think I'm a lunatic.

I'll take a look at that article you linked to. Thank you! I really feel that we shouldn't be preaching to the choir here, we need to be out there talking to these people… Because we're getting to the point where if things don't change, we're going to lose our most cherished rights. And in my opinion, that is what the end goal is, it is what people have been deceived into doing… willingly give up their rights, for "safety."
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

That's exactly what I want to say, but these are people who still believe everything they're told by the MSM, so if I say that, they'll think I'm a lunatic.

I'll take a look at that article you linked to. Thank you! I really feel that we shouldn't be preaching to the choir here, we need to be out there talking to these people… Because we're getting to the point where if things don't change, we're going to lose our most cherished rights. And in my opinion, that is what the end goal is, it is what people have been deceived into doing… willingly give up their rights, for "safety."
    My later posts are from an article that directly deals with Australia as opposed to the first link that is about mass shootings in general.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

james von Brunn said... the claims that there have been no mass shootings in Australia since Howard's gun laws were enacted in the late 1990s is totally erroneous;

if you define a mass shooting as involving four or more fatalities, then, there have been several such....most noticeably during the gang-related killings in Melbourne, 2000-2005;

there has been an exponential increase in violent crime of all sorts since the NFA....most noticeably of armed, violent home invasions....a simple Google search will quickly establish, from raw police data, that there has been almost 2000 armed violent home invasions in an eighteen month period.... http://tinyurl.com/0zz-hm-invsns-ggl-rslts ; this is an ongoing trend;

further-more, there have been continuing claims in the media that police in various Australian states have been 'covering up' violent crime stats; a couple of years ago, an Assitant Commissioner of Police in Victoria resigned over just such a claim.....viz: Sir Ken Jones;

overall, Howard's gun laws have been an unmitigated disaster with many Aussies now under siege in their own homes and terrorised both in public and in private by heavily armed, psychopathic thugs.....as per the predictions of Prfssr Lott and others over the years.

*note*
    even with the heavy restrictions and conditions for obtaining a shooters license in Australia, self-defence is still not a legitimate reason to apply for a fire-arms license!
    10/27/2013 6:00 AM
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Swordsmyth again.

Thank you!

― Henry David Thoreau

So when will the progs admit the utter failure of gun-free zones?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast