Thread: Your New Car Will Have Apps Instead Of Options

Your New Car Will Have Apps Instead Of Options

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/26/1...ion-volvo-care

There’s a $6 billion market for these subscription services in cars by 2023

The idea of being able to update your car’s infotainment system may have sounded like a good one when it was first introduced nearly a decade ago. Automakers gradually introduced upgradable operating systems and cars with Wi-Fi, with some like Tesla going so far as to introduce over-the-air updates to add features and improve system response times without owners ever having to visit the service department.

But with all of the convenience that brought, connected cars may change the way we pay for features in cars. Whereas there was often a base price and a list of optional equipment you could add to a new car, owners may have to pay monthly or yearly fees for more than just telematic services or satellite radio if they want to keep certain features. And the boundaries for what is and isn’t always standard with a car may not be entirely set.

BMW told The Verge last week at the Detroit Auto Show the company would make Apple CarPlay available through a subscription service beginning on its 2019 models. It would be included on new cars for the first year and then be available to owners for $80 per year, rather than the $300 one-time-charge it is now.

“This allows the customer to switch devices,” Don Smith, BMW North America’s technology product manager, said to us last week. “A lot of people buy [CarPlay] and think it’s okay, but sometimes they stop using it or switch to Android.”

On the face of it, the idea sounds like it gives customers the choice to try out an option before committing to pay for it — something those who paid extra for features such as heated seats or self-parking technology may appreciate. But at what cost? Customers who decide not to renew telematic service subscriptions such as OnStar, or SiriusXM radio, may not think their car is lacking a crucial feature. But what if it extends to more essential equipment?

“DRM-enabled software is the next wave of in-vehicle monetization, like BMW enabling Apple CarPlay,” Colin Bird, senior analyst at IHS Markit, says in an email. “This is possible due to growing production enablement of over-the-air update reprogramming. “Software based services like this are very lucrative to automakers because the margins are much higher in software.”

@Anti Federalist - Quick! Get in here and say IT!

I swear this is like Fight Club where these companies are taking our own $#@! and selling it back to us with a Monthly Subscription Fee! We are literally paying for our own enslavement!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In the early '80's airbags were an option. Try to find a car without one these days.

Cars don't need 'puters.....

I can do without their useless extras.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Can I install an app that lets cops take control of my car?

Or is that installed by default
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I can do without their useless extras.
    I wish a manufacturer offered me wing vents as an Windows option.