Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Community Project

Free Community Project

I guess I had to name it something .... anyway, I posted the basics of the plan I have underway elsewhere on RPF:

The plan is relatively simple, which is why there might be a chance of success. A county has been targeted which has a part time sheriff and no other law enforcement, a county wide school district with less than 50 students, a low population, no zoning laws, low property and other taxes as a result of low population, and no aquifier district, which under the laws of the state, do not restrict water wells.

Do a FSP in miniature, but the location is isolated (which makes it a good SHTF bug out location), so you move your residence there for voting and tax purposes and build your bug out place. Then we start on economic development that would eventually allow for full time residence and build an actual defendable community.

At the state level, there is no income tax, a sales tax, which a barter system avoids, car registration @ about $50 per year, and controlling the county board controls tax rates on property. Depending on your profession, there may be some state licensing or regulations, but other than that you could be as free person as is possible in the US.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    I guess I had to name it something .... anyway, I posted the basics of the plan I have underway elsewhere on RPF:

The plan is relatively simple, which is why there might be a chance of success. A county has been targeted which has a part time sheriff and no other law enforcement, a county wide school district with less than 50 students, a low population, no zoning laws, low property and other taxes as a result of low population, and no aquifier district, which under the laws of the state, do not restrict water wells.

Do a FSP in miniature, but the location is isolated (which makes it a good SHTF bug out location), so you move your residence there for voting and tax purposes and build your bug out place. Then we start on economic development that would eventually allow for full time residence and build an actual defendable community.

At the state level, there is no income tax, a sales tax, which a barter system avoids, car registration @ about $50 per year, and controlling the county board controls tax rates on property. Depending on your profession, there may be some state licensing or regulations, but other than that you could be as free person as is possible in the US.
    I have been thinking along these lines awhile now. It has definite merit - more so than attempting to work top-down. Free Community Project is as good a name as any, though I came up with Copper, Cu, for "County-up" - working our way from the county upward. Perhaps copper bracelets are in order.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

What kind of terrain/weather? Suitable for cattle?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

+rep

Okay, cool. Where is it at?

More specifics. At this point I am up for anything. Even if I have to spend part time elsewhere to make a living it would be something I would be interested in developng for the long term.

I might be willing to invest in some property there. Depending on more info.

I'm in support and will participate in this type of project, and offer my $.02. Apologies, Pericles, if I'm speaking out of turn.

We still have all our rights protected by the Constitution. The problem is, power hungry people will take from the masses and the masses will not exert their rights. We, liberty minded people, have always existed and are vocal but are always in the minority and I believe typically lack the leadership, chutzpah, whatever to beat back the power hungry tyrants.

Having said that, I believe we should settle a place and enforce our rights, together. Individually people are picked off by the government, together we defend our rights and run a Constitutional type of system. When an individual stands up and fights, whether they win or lose, it's a flash in the pan (story in a small news outlet, thread on a forum). This association to exert our rights, together, will invite other liberty desirous people to join once they see its success. Other communities will spring up, and the movement will flourish. Of course, this must be well thought out ahead of time and with participants from every walk of life and profession. Being united in defense of one another's rights is of *paramount* important - if we do not have an established defense in place this venture will be all for naught. Think Constitutionally, live constitutionally.

For the anarchal types among us, I dig your perspective, however I don't believe we can become completely Stateless in one fell swoop. A project like this is a great opportunity to perhaps build an anarchal lifestyle within the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala
    What kind of terrain/weather? Suitable for cattle?
    Questions like this are important, perhaps Pericles will provide you enough information (through PM). My presumption is that you already deal w/ livestock and would better understand the necessary requirements such that you could do the research or point us in the direction of acquiring a liberty person of that skill to do it for us.

*subscribed
    Last edited by Czolgosz; 03-16-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    hey, Pericles... check out resilient communities.

i've been thinking a lot about this subject. thanks for bringing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Czolgosz View Post
    I'm in support and will participate in this type of project, and offer my $.02. Apologies, Pericles, if I'm speaking out of turn.

We still have all our rights protected by the Constitution. The problem is, power hungry people will take from the masses and the masses will not exert their rights. We, liberty minded people, have always existed and are vocal but are always in the minority and I believe typically lack the leadership, chutzpah, whatever to beat back the power hungry tyrants.

Having said that, I believe we should settle a place and enforce our rights, together. Individually people are picked off by the government, together we defend our rights and run a Constitutional type of system. When an individual stands up and fights, whether they win or lose, it's a flash in the pan (story in a small news outlet, thread on a forum). This association to exert our rights, together, will invite other liberty desirous people to join once they see its success. Other communities will spring up, and the movement will flourish. Of course, this must be well thought out ahead of time and with participants from every walk of life and profession. Being united in defense of one another's rights is of *paramount* important - if we do not have an established defense in place this venture will be all for naught. Think Constitutionally, live constitutionally.

For the anarchal types among us, I dig your perspective, however I don't believe we can become completely Stateless in one fell swoop. A project like this is a great opportunity to perhaps build an anarchal lifestyle within the project.

Questions like this are important, perhaps Pericles will provide you enough information (through PM). My presumption is that you already deal w/ livestock and would better understand the necessary requirements such that you could do the research or point us in the direction of acquiring a liberty person of that skill to do it for us.

*subscribed
    If you want the community to last longer than a few weeks, best to keep a very low profile rather than "asserting" your rights. This country is not ready to get behind a direct challenge to government authority. That can change quickly, but right now the vast majority of Americans would sit idly by and watch your free community be burned to the ground by the DHS.

So what I would have in mind is living very quietly in an out-of-the way place, where government doesn't notice me. That is the way to create an enclave of freedom right now.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

To reply to a few questions:

Current use of the prime candidate area is used primarily as ranching - averge rainfall about 14 inches per year, which is light for agriculture, but so far the water table looks good - some land owners in the area do irrigate.

Saw the Paulville plan - a couple of comments on that - (1) the county is too arid to sustain long term agriculture. (2) They did get it right in terms of population density and zoning etc. (3) too close to I-20 and Mexico for my comfort level.

I'll check out the other one mentioned.

The idea is to get in where land is about $1000 per acre, the minimum required to "buy in" is one acre. Once you build on a small parcel, there may be implications on the tax status (residential, vs. commercial vs. agricultural) in the state. I want to offer a mechanism that preserves the current lowest property tax rate (about $5 per acre per year at current use).

It would be nice to be low profile, but at some point, someone somewhere may notice. At that point, it is hoped that the project is "too big to fail" in that it would take too much effort to take down an armed community that had enough "militia" behind it to require at least an Army battalion to subdue. Such an effort would be even more difficult when the surrounding counties also do not have enough infrastructure to support an "occupying" force.

As the community develops, the idea would be to raise some additional capital to start some local industry that would be a logical supplier of things needed to sustain the community or be valuable as trade goods (say manufacturing incadescant lightbulbs in a state that still permits such after an EPA ban).
    Last edited by Pericles; 03-16-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

A recent Ridley Report video reminded me of this thread.

The Saba Cooperative intentional community was mentioned in the video. Here is the website. http://sabacooperative.wordpress.com/ The Saba Cooperative is the 3rd free stater started intentional community in New Hampshire.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-19-2012 at 05:47 AM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

free

It would be nice to be low profile, but at some point, someone somewhere may notice. At that point, it is hoped that the project is "too big to fail" in that it would take too much effort to take down an armed community that had enough "militia" behind it to require at least an Army battalion to subdue. Such an effort would be even more difficult when the surrounding counties also do not have enough infrastructure to support an "occupying" force.
    I think that is about right.

What I would NOT want to do is establish a community and then send a declaration of independence to the President or act in any way that amounts to the same thing. At this moment in time, that would be suicide.

It seems to me that such a community should at first be focused on freeing itself from local tyranny by avoiding zoning, building codes, business permits, etc. And also not providing any real local enforcement of state and federal law. This can get you pretty far. Much of the tyranny of state and federal law is executed through local law enforcement. State and federal authorities don't have the resources to take over local enforcement - unless you put them in the position where they MUST put you in your place to save face. And, depending on the state, if you incorporate, you may be able to divest county law enforcement of jurisdiction.

I think the best approach would be to carve out a free community through forming a municipal government (as a formality) and influencing county government, but avoiding antagonizing state and federal government. Ideally, they wouldn't even know you exist. Until, as you say, it would be so much trouble to take you out that it is not worth the effort.

You also mention another good point. It is possible to develop enough economic power that nobody would want to mess with you because it is against their interests. If you could provide some goods or services that many people outside the community wanted to see continue, state and federal governments would be inclined to leave you alone.

I would hope to stave off any armed conflict until the whole system is coming apart and then, like in the collapse of the USSR, you could walk away without firing a shot.

In essence, carving out as much freedom as you can now and laying the groundwork to form a fully independent free community from the ashes when the Federal government collapses of its own folly.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I think that is about right.

What I would NOT want to do is establish a community and then send a declaration of independence to the President or act in any way that amounts to the same thing. At this moment in time, that would be suicide.

It seems to me that such a community should at first be focused on freeing itself from local tyranny by avoiding zoning, building codes, business permits, etc. And also not providing any real local enforcement of state and federal law. This can get you pretty far. Much of the tyranny of state and federal law is executed through local law enforcement. State and federal authorities don't have the resources to take over local enforcement - unless you put them in the position where they MUST put you in your place to save face. And, depending on the state, if you incorporate, you may be able to divest county law enforcement of jurisdiction.

I think the best approach would be to carve out a free community through forming a municipal government (as a formality) and influencing county government, but avoiding antagonizing state and federal government. Ideally, they wouldn't even know you exist. Until, as you say, it would be so much trouble to take you out that it is not worth the effort.

You also mention another good point. It is possible to develop enough economic power that nobody would want to mess with you because it is against their interests. If you could provide some goods or services that many people outside the community wanted to see continue, state and federal governments would be inclined to leave you alone.

I would hope to stave off any armed conflict until the whole system is coming apart and then, like in the collapse of the USSR, you could walk away without firing a shot.

In essence, carving out as much freedom as you can now and laying the groundwork to form a fully independent free community from the ashes when the Federal government collapses of its own folly.
    You got it - that is the objective. The target county has more cattle than people. Surrounding counties have a total population of about 15.000 - as they used to say in the antebellum south - If you can see your neighbors, its too crowded.

You got it - that is the objective. The target county has more cattle than people. Surrounding counties have a total population of about 15.000 - as they used to say in the antebellum south - If you can see your neighbors, its too crowded.
    No doubt!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really like this plan. I would support it 100%. Only question is, can people living in this community earn enough money to take care of things such as medical care? As a diabetic me needing insulin is the only thing keeping me from absconding in the woods never to be heard or seen from again.

How far to the water table? Makes a difference in cost to drill and also determines the type of pumping system you need and the need for electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon98188 View Post
    I really like this plan. I would support it 100%. Only question is, can people living in this community earn enough money to take care of things such as medical care? As a diabetic me needing insulin is the only thing keeping me from absconding in the woods never to be heard or seen from again.
    Our group has a chiropractor / EMT who has spent a couple of weeks in the Amazon at a clinic - he said it was really educational to see the effects of primitive living on people's health and "make do" medical treatment. From the target location, modern first rate medical care is a bit over 100 miles away, have to check on other facilities in nearby counties.

How far to the water table? Makes a difference in cost to drill and also determines the type of pumping system you need and the need for electricity.
    Wells in the county can go from 35 feet to 150 feet and flow from 5 gal per minute to 120 gal per minute. Generating our own electric seems to start at $1.50 per watt, then add cost of batteries, inverters, etc. Current plan is to co-op among the group water and electric.

To clarify, although individual Saba members may be involved with many movements that support their ideas and interests, Saba Cooperative, as a whole, is not affilated with any political movements or organizations.

I trust that you and Acala, like I, have copies of emails...coupla years old now...wherein I broach such a thing.

I mention it "merely" to perhaps head off a round of not-constructive criticism from My Usual Detractors.

(Underwhelming) Free State Project = New Hampshire = $#@!ing Freezing

Free Community Project, presumably = Texas.

I am not just whistling Dixie when I say I believe #JeffersonState is doable, and that it is doable NOW.

#JeffersonState would be GRAVY; it is not NECESSARY to the tenability of an Alternative Community. WHETHER OR NOT #JeffersonState happens, WHETHER OR NOT A PURPOSEFUL COMMUNITY COALESCES, the area comprised by what WOULDA BEEN/CAN BE Jefferson State is the best place I have found, FOR ME, to ride out a CHANGED EXISTENCE on the best possible terms, considering ground conditions.

For ME, the Pacific Northwest has it ALL OVER New Hampshire and Texas ('cept for that oil thing, but #JeffersonState has wine and weed).
    Last edited by cheapseats; 03-29-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    (Underwhelming) Free State Project = New Hampshire = $#@!ing Freezing

Free Community Project, presumably = Texas.

I am not just whistling Dixie when I say I believe #JeffersonState is doable, and that it is doable NOW.

#JeffersonState would be GRAVY; it is not NECESSARY to the tenability of an Alternative Community. Given what I view as the ALARMING deterioration of America, WHETHER OR NOT #JeffersonState happens, the area comprised thereby is the best that I have found, FOR ME, to ride out a CHANGED EXISTENCE on the best possible terms (shy of making beau coups bucks, which I also think is doable).

For ME, the Pacific Northwest has it ALL OVER New Hampshire and Texas ('cept for that oil thing, but #JeffersonState has wine and weed).
    If you can get access to the ocean and a boat, the Pacific Northwest could be a relatively easy place to find enough to eat. Also, Canada is a more comforting neighbor in my mind than Mexico. There are a couple serious population centers you would want to avoid.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you can get access to the ocean and a boat, the Pacific Northwest could be a relatively easy place to find enough to eat. Also, Canada is a more comforting neighbor in my mind than Mexico. There are a couple serious population centers you would want to avoid.

COASTLINE, don't leave an alliance without some.

I drive with the mist twirling thru the redwoods on one side and the mighty Pacific spraying off hulking rocks on the other side, and I can SEE that splendor because mine is often the only car on the road.

After more than a quarter-century in Los Angeles, I now think TAHOE has too much traffic, lol.

I have been saying for as long as I've been doing this-whatever-this-is, that Patriots should be investing in big trucks, small planes and fast boats rather than in CANDIDATES.
    Last edited by cheapseats; 03-30-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post
    I can walk to the ocean. I drive with the mist twirling thru the redwoods on one side and the mighty Pacific spraying off hulking rocks on the other side, and I can SEE that splendor because mine is often the only car on the road.
    Sounds beautiful.

Sounds beautiful.

I'm not a sap for Nature but I gotta say, it truly is awe-inspiringly, perspective-restoringly beautiful. When REGROWTH on fallen trees is hundreds of years older than me, I can't NOT remember how small and temporal is this, shall we say, PHASE of my existence.

More than that, tho. Traveling north in California, something beyond the scenery CHANGES at Willits.

New Hampshire, Texas and the proposed (once approved) boundaries of Jefferson State offer a nice mix of climate and lifestyle.

Also a three-pronged attack-I-mean-effort.
    Last edited by cheapseats; 03-29-2012 at 02:31 PM.

I have recently been reading up on intentional communities. Along the way someone mentioned I should read "Creating a Life Together." I recently picked up a copy of the book and am currently reading it. This book is written with a slant towards Eco-villages but it contains lots of lessons learned from other intentional communities that would prove invaluable to people considering such a move. I am only half way through but would recommend it already.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

PEER-TO-PEER LENDING is key to mitigating Banking Cartel power/control, fyi.
    Last edited by cheapseats; 03-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    This book is written with a slant towards Eco-villages but it contains lots of lessons learned from other intentional communities that would prove invaluable to people considering such a move.
    Intentional communities are very interesting. I mentioned how free staters are creating them previously on this thread but there is also a Free Street Project that some people are thinking about trying to create in New Hampshire. The goal is to get liberty minded people to buy houses on a street. For example, there is currently a street with 1 building (a duplex) owned by a free stater. 2 houses on the street are for sale and at least two liberty minded folks have expressed interest in buying one of those houses. The houses and duplexes on the street range from $120 to $220 in value.

The Saba Cooperative intentional community, which I mentioned earlier, is of the eco-village design.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast