Thread: Sullenberger on the FAA

Sullenberger on the FAA

I completely despise the media phenomenon of the Hero Captain Sully, but I've been impressed with everything I've heard him say. He gets it right.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sully-sul...123442350.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yup... He'd been the target of a false narrative, and miraculously survived. Landing the plane safely in the hudson was, "meh"...

Now the mother f'r takes on government - someone has a hot hand.

The man really is a hero IMO. To be clear, he had a vested interest in the safe landing - so one could debate whether he is a hero in that regard. I think he's a hero for his follow through, and his safety consulting. The guy is a class act.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Recently saw the Hollywood version of the incident (Sully). I didn't find it to be very realistic with it's portrayal of the FAA. Apparently Sully didn't think so either.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Recently saw the Hollywood version of the incident (Sully). I didn't find it to be very realistic with it's portrayal of the FAA. Apparently Sully didn't think so either.
    Because the producer was Clint Eastwood who is a libertarian and wanted to make the federal government look in a bad light (NTSB actually).
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I just read the article and lost all respect for this guy...

He is against privatizing ATC, he contradicts himself a few times, and he thinks that creating an artificially high barrier to entry is a good thing. The 1500 hour rule was a gift to the unions by Obama in an attempt to raise pilot wages by creating a shortage.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I completely despise the media phenomenon of the Hero Captain Sully, but I've been impressed with everything I've heard him say. He gets it right.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sully-sul...123442350.html
    You think the federal government should control air travel,and the industry should not be privatized? Don't hear that here much...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

He is against privatizing ATC, he contradicts himself a few times, and he thinks that creating an artificially high barrier to entry is a good thing. The 1500 hour rule was a gift to the unions by Obama in an attempt to raise pilot wages by creating a shortage.
    Sounds like your inexperienced ox is getting gored.

The 1500 rule came from Congress, genius.

And, believe me, the union doesn't give a rat's as$ about pilot pay, especially on the low end of the food chain.

FAA privatization targets the only part of the federal workforce that has a high level of expertise and performance and lets the airlines largely off the hook for funding the airways system through ticket fees.

If anything, Sully was sticking up for general aviation and not the airlines which is rare in major airline circles.

The thing about people like you, Collins, is that you think that experience is not important because you don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You think the federal government should control air travel,and the industry should not be privatized? Don't hear that here much...
    He is talking about the air traffic control system, which comprises of the air traffic controllers and navigational infrastructure, not route regulation as in the pre '78 context of controlling what airline is allowed to fly where.

The route infrastructure is largely funded by fees collected from airline tickets. The airlines complain that corporate and general aviation users get a free ride. Funny, because the fees go to the passenger tickets.

They want to privatize the air traffic control system and give it to Lockheed Martin or similar friend of government. I'm no fan of federal workers, but the air traffic controllers are probably the highest skill level and personally responsible employees in the entire fedgov.

You will find reference to navigational infrastructure to be a federal responsibility in our earliest founding documents.
    Last edited by sparebulb; 07-13-2017 at 10:50 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I saw that episode unfold on TV when it happened. The Captiain was awesome and gave the passengers and crew the best chance of survival. A lot of people were heroes that day. It's amazing what can happen when people work together with literally a wing and a prayer.
    Last edited by euphemia; 07-13-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

The 1500 rule came from Congress, genius.
    Of course, and it was a gift to the unions and the Obama Admin supported it and pushed for it.

And, believe me, the union doesn't give a rat's as$ about pilot pay, especially on the low end of the food chain.
    Perhaps, but it gives them tremendous leverage against the companies though.

FAA privatization targets the only part of the federal workforce that has a high level of expertise and performance and lets the airlines largely off the hook for funding the airways system through ticket fees.
    ATC is miserably inefficient, much of it could be automated at best, and at worst lots of tech improvements need to happen.

The thing about people like you, Collins, is that you think that experience is not important because you don't have any.
    Actually I do have experience. But remember though that people with experience are not always correct. That is an appeal to authority fallacy.

All concerns about government or private involvement aside, I want pilots on planes I'm flying on to be experienced and competent.

I'd rather not fly with Captain Sum Ting Wong and Co-Pilot Wi Tu Lo.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Of course, and it was a gift to the unions and the Obama Admin supported it and pushed for it.

Perhaps, but it gives them tremendous leverage against the companies though.

ATC is miserably inefficient, much of it could be automated at best, and at worst lots of tech improvements need to happen.

Actually I do have experience. But remember though that people with experience are not always correct. That is an appeal to authority fallacy.
    You cite soundbites, collins.

The 1500 hour rule was no gift to the union. It was typical congressional knee-jerk, feel-good crap from congress. No president would have ever vetoed it, lest he be blamed for the very next airline accident. This raised NO pay for any level of the pilot food chain, except for the entry level pay at regional airlines...and that took literally years to have any effect. The regional airlines are paying significant bonuses, right now, however, look for snap backs to much lower pay rates as the demand slows, or stops. You, collins, have gotten too high on your own supply of career hope-ium

As far as our ATC being "miserably inefficient", you cite someone's soundbite. No other country handles the enormous volume of traffic that the US does. Raytheon, Lockheed and the usual suspects might cite some example of some small country that has an off-the-shelf AFC system that works wonderfully, but they don't handle the same volume and every participant in the system pays large ATC fees. You have bought into the hype about our ATC system using equipment designed and built in the '60's. It works, and it is pretty reliable.

Collins, most people that learn to fly come to the point where they are pretty good at getting their Cessna or Piper off and on the ground with a pretty high level of skill. The vast majority of these people come up to speed in the airline environment. The ones that don't usually have problems adapting to fixed standards deeply rooted in the world as it is, not how you think it is, and certainly not how you think it should be. The next step you want to take in your career will be best accomplished with your eyes and ears open, and your pie-hole shut.

The 1500 hour rule was no gift to the union. It was typical congressional knee-jerk, feel-good crap from congress. No president would have ever vetoed it, lest he be blamed for the very next airline accident. This raised NO pay for any level of the pilot food chain, except for the entry level pay at regional airlines...and that took literally years to have any effect. The regional airlines are paying significant bonuses, right now, however, look for snap backs to much lower pay rates as the demand slows, or stops. You, collins, have gotten too high on your own supply of career hope-ium
    I can tell from this statement that you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about.

As far as our ATC being "miserably inefficient", you cite someone's soundbite. No other country handles the enormous volume of traffic that the US does. Raytheon, Lockheed and the usual suspects might cite some example of some small country that has an off-the-shelf AFC system that works wonderfully, but they don't handle the same volume and every participant in the system pays large ATC fees. You have bought into the hype about our ATC system using equipment designed and built in the '60's. It works, and it is pretty reliable.
    Again, your ignorance is showing. There is very reliable, tested, proven, off the shelf technology that could automate the majority of ATC tomorrow.

I can tell from this statement that you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about.
    My ATP signed by the Administrator with eight type ratings on it indicates that I obviously do.

Again, your ignorance is showing. There is very reliable, tested, proven, off the shelf technology that could automate the majority of ATC tomorrow.
    Mmmm.......no. You saw that in a cartoon.

The day that a computer program can "safely" separate aircraft in a busy terminal area like ORD or LGA is the day that they won't require a meatbag, let alone an aspiring gear jerker like yourself in the pointy end of an aircraft.

Thumbs down

My ATP signed by the Administrator with eight type ratings on it indicates that I obviously do.
    Just because you know how to fly a plane doesn't mean you know anything about economics or politics.

The day that a computer program can "safely" separate aircraft in a busy terminal area like ORD or LGA is the day that they won't require a meatbag, let alone an aspiring gear jerker like yourself in the pointy end of an aircraft.
    Straw man fallacy. That is not what I wrote. Nice try though, go back and reread what I wrote.

I'm sure that Sully will be crushed when he finds out about this.

Sully should really defer to guys with real experience and smarts like you.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.