Thread: Taking ibuprofen could raise heart risk by a fifth

Taking ibuprofen could raise heart risk by a fifth

Taking ibuprofen could raise heart risk by a fifth: Long term use of the painkiller causes chemical reaction that puts strain on the organ

By Sophie Borland for the Daily Mail

Published: 19:35 EST, 28 September 2016

Ibuprofen and other painkillers may trigger a heart condition which affects almost a million Britons, a major study has shown.

Patients who regularly take the pills are up to 20 per cent more likely to develop heart failure.

Long-term use of the medication causes chemical reactions in the body which place extra strain on the heart, research suggests.

This can lead to heart failure in patients who have a history of previous heart attacks or high blood pressure. An estimated 900,000 adults in Britain have heart failure which occurs when the muscle becomes too weak to pump blood around the body.

It causes extreme tiredness, breathlessness and swelling of the legs and is a long-term condition that can’t be cured.

The study published in the journal BMJ Open involved ten million patients from the UK, the Netherlands, Italy and Germany.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ain-organ.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good to know
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Never touch the stuff.
    There is no spoon.

my cardiologist told me 5 years ago to stop taking it. Haven't touched the stuff since, but i did increase my weed smoking by 50%...i told the doc about my weed smoking and he asked me if it works for me...yep..helps with chronic aches and pains...he didn't tell me to stop...

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Never touch the stuff.
    Me either.

This stuff put my sister in the hospital with a perforated stomach. It's nasty stuff!

I take Turmeric for pain.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Dang. I'm taking 800mg Ibuprofen at the moment, too. I didn't know that about Ibuprofen. It's either that or those 10mg oxycontin tablets, though. I've been trying to stay away from those things. They make me sick as heck. Hm.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Dang. I'm taking 800mg Ibuprofen at the moment, too. I didn't know that about Ibuprofen. It's either that or those 10mg oxycontin tablets, though. I've been trying to stay away from those things. They make me sick as heck. Hm.
    Published in the Journal of Clinical Interventions in Aging, the research sought to “determine the efficacy and safety of Curcuma domestica extracts in pain reduction and functional improvement.”

Curcuma domestica is the latin term for turmeric, which contains an active component known as curcumin, credited with its wealth of benefits. For the study, participants were given tablets with 1,500 mg of turmeric extracts. As reference, turmeric powder typically contains 2-4% curcumin by weight.

The 367 participants were randomly assigned into two groups—one that would receive 1,200 mg of ibuprofen per day and the other who would receive 1,500 mg of turmeric extracts per day, over a period of four weeks. All of the participants suffered from knee osteoarthritis, with a pain score of 5 or higher.

The researchers report their results as follows:

“The baseline characteristics were no different between groups. The mean of all WOMAC scores at weeks 0, 2, and 4 showed significant improvement when compared with the baseline in both groups. After using the noninferiority test, the mean difference (95% confidence interval) of WOMAC total, WOMAC pain, and WOMAC function scores at week 4 adjusted by values at week 0 of C. domestica extracts were noninferior to those for the ibuprofen group (P=0.010, P=0.018, and P=0.010, respectively), except for the WOMAC stiffness subscale, which showed a trend toward significance (P=0.060). The number of patients who developed AEs was no different between groups. However, the number of events of abdominal pain/discomfort was significantly higher in the ibuprofen group than that in the C. domestica extracts group (P=0.046). “

What does this mean? It means that both turmeric and ibuprofen reduced pain. The text of the study reveals, however, that turmeric patients did score better on tests of stair climbing and a 100 m walk. Of the ibuprofen group, 10.9% said they experienced little satisfaction from their treatment and 2.2% reported “no satisfaction”. Among the turmeric group, no one responded with such dissatisfaction. Further, the turmeric group had fewer side effects.
    http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-v...ee-pain-study/

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Me either.

This stuff put my sister in the hospital with a perforated stomach. It's nasty stuff!

I take Turmeric for pain.
    Turmeric cures just about everything.

Caffeine is also a great remedy for migraines.
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess I need a bigger turmeric dosage - I tried for a couple weeks motrin free - could barely walk, bend or hold a cast iron skillet with one hand, so now I'm taking both.. cut the motrin to twice instead of 3x a day though.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Dealing with a herniated disk so I'm taking 800 mg a day just to make it through my 8 hr work day and I'm getting ready to have 2 part time jobs as well....ugh.

Study only looked at prescription strength drugs and included others besides ibuprofen. Most were taking twice the recommended doses over long periods of time. http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i4857

Our findings, which focused only on prescription NSAIDs, might apply to NSAIDs obtained over the counter as well. Although over-the-counter NSAIDs are probably typically used at lower doses, by younger people, and for shorter durations than prescribed NSAIDs, they are sometimes available at the same doses than those prescribed36 and may be inappropriately overused
    The risk of hospital admission for heart failure associated with current use of NSAIDs appears to vary between individual NSAIDs, and this effect is dose dependent.
    Not all NSAIDs had the effect and dose mattered a lot. Ibuprofen increased risk 1.8 times (one time would be the same risk as not taking anything).

Also very important to note that the risk either way of having heart failure extremely small. An increase in a very small risk is still a very small risk.

(incident rate, 37.5 heart failure events per 10 000 person years).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-30-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Turmeric cures just about everything.

Caffeine is also a great remedy for migraines.
    I definitely agree. When I have muscle ache and pain I take about 1500 mg of Turmeric. I make my own capsules and 00 is 500 mg each.

Turmeric is fat-soluble, so to get the maximum relief it is wise to take it with a meal or take a tsp. of coconut oil before.

Since turmeric is fat-soluble, in order for your body to fully absorb it and experience its amazing health benefits, Turmeric needs to be combined with a fat.

“When it doesn’t dissolve properly, curcumin has a tough time getting into the gut, which is where most of the immune system lives. “80 percent of your immune system is located in your digestive system, making a healthy gut a major focal point if you want to maintain optimal health,” explains Dr. Joseph Mercola.

‘Another way to boost the absorption of curcumin is to consume it in the whole food, turmeric root (fresh or dried as a powder) because natural oils found in turmeric root and turmeric powder can enhance the bioavailability of curcumin seven to eight fold. When eaten with fat, curcumin can be directly absorbed into the bloodstream through the lymphatic system thereby in part bypassing the liver.’ –Dr. Michael Greiger, MD
    http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...-turmeric.html

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I guess I need a bigger turmeric dosage - I tried for a couple weeks motrin free - could barely walk, bend or hold a cast iron skillet with one hand, so now I'm taking both.. cut the motrin to twice instead of 3x a day though.
    try some apple cider vinegar in water with honey... does wonders

What are the indicators of early heart disease? Science says, for example, cholesterol above 200 and LDL above 130 are early indicators of increased risk of heart disease, but what about the bunch of you who say saturated fat and cholesterol are good for you at high amounts? What indicators do you go by?

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    What are the indicators of early heart disease? Science says, for example, cholesterol above 200 and LDL above 130 are early indicators of increased risk of heart disease, but what about the bunch of you who say saturated fat and cholesterol are good for you at high amounts? What indicators do you go by?
    this is a good lucid question deserving of a worthy conversation... but only if somebody else asked it because with you we all know you really dont want to engage in a real conversation. Its unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    this is a good lucid question deserving of a worthy conversation... but only if somebody else asked it because with you we all know you really dont want to engage in a real conversation. Its unfortunate.
    Well, here's a start:

HEALTH: Cholesterol: The big fat lie, plus how to prevent heart ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../HEALT...us-prevent-hea...
    Daily Mail
    Jul 11, 2015 - We have been told to forgo cholesterol-rich foods – eggs, cheese, shellfish – and take statins to reduce cholesterol levels in our blood, but far

Top 9 Biggest Myths About Dietary Fat and Cholesterol
    https://authoritynutrition.com/top-9...d-cholesterol/
    We have been wrongly advised to avoid saturated fat and cholesterol, despite no evidence of harm. ... A Low-Fat, High-Carb Diet is The Optimal Human Diet. Back in 60s and 70s, many prominent scientists believed that saturated fat was the main cause of heart disease, by raising the ...

Exploring "The Great Cholesterol Myth" - Doc's Opinion
    http://www.docsopinion.com/2013/01/2...lesterol-myth/
    Jan 28, 2013 - A recently published book called "The Great Cholesterol Myth" ... Cholesterol Con by Antonio Colpo and The Great Cholesterol Lie by Dwight

29 Billion Reasons to Lie About Cholesterol - Mercola
    articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/.../29-billion-reasons-to-lie-about-cholesterol.aspx
    Feb 1, 2012 - The statins industry is now valued at 29 billion dollars, even though there is no solid proof that these cholesterol drugs help protect against ...

Don't Believe The Cholesterol Lies - Easy Health Options®
    easyhealthoptions.com › Easy Health Digest
    The cholesterol myth is a monument to the lies, deceit and fraud of the pharmaceutical companies and the government. The cholesterol myth proves that super ...

The big fat lie about cholesterol - The Spectator
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/06/t...t-cholesterol/
    The Spectator
    Jun 21, 2014 - The big fat lie about cholesterol. A gigantic scare that lasts for decades because the experts are too embarrassed to back down. Remind you of ...

Total Cholesterol Lies: What You Are Not Being Told - Metabolic Healing
    https://metabolichealing.com/total-c...ot-being-told/
    Dec 12, 2011 - What constitutes a healthy and normal total cholesterol level? The answer may surprise you. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason that ...

Plus blaming cholesterol is like blaming the firemen for the fire.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Well, here's a start:

HEALTH: Cholesterol: The big fat lie, plus how to prevent heart ...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/.../HEALT...us-prevent-hea...
    Daily Mail
    Jul 11, 2015 - We have been told to forgo cholesterol-rich foods – eggs, cheese, shellfish – and take statins to reduce cholesterol levels in our blood, but far

Top 9 Biggest Myths About Dietary Fat and Cholesterol
    https://authoritynutrition.com/top-9...d-cholesterol/
    We have been wrongly advised to avoid saturated fat and cholesterol, despite no evidence of harm. ... A Low-Fat, High-Carb Diet is The Optimal Human Diet. Back in 60s and 70s, many prominent scientists believed that saturated fat was the main cause of heart disease, by raising the ...

Exploring "The Great Cholesterol Myth" - Doc's Opinion
    http://www.docsopinion.com/2013/01/2...lesterol-myth/
    Jan 28, 2013 - A recently published book called "The Great Cholesterol Myth" ... Cholesterol Con by Antonio Colpo and The Great Cholesterol Lie by Dwight

29 Billion Reasons to Lie About Cholesterol - Mercola
    articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/.../29-billion-reasons-to-lie-about-cholesterol.aspx
    Feb 1, 2012 - The statins industry is now valued at 29 billion dollars, even though there is no solid proof that these cholesterol drugs help protect against ...

Don't Believe The Cholesterol Lies - Easy Health Options®
    easyhealthoptions.com › Easy Health Digest
    The cholesterol myth is a monument to the lies, deceit and fraud of the pharmaceutical companies and the government. The cholesterol myth proves that super ...

The big fat lie about cholesterol - The Spectator
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/2014/06/t...t-cholesterol/
    The Spectator
    Jun 21, 2014 - The big fat lie about cholesterol. A gigantic scare that lasts for decades because the experts are too embarrassed to back down. Remind you of ...

Total Cholesterol Lies: What You Are Not Being Told - Metabolic Healing
    https://metabolichealing.com/total-c...ot-being-told/
    Dec 12, 2011 - What constitutes a healthy and normal total cholesterol level? The answer may surprise you. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason that ...

Plus blaming cholesterol is like blaming the firemen for the fire.
    oh well ill talk to you anytime about anything because youre super cool. Im not sure somebody against cholesterol will be willing to read through all of that so I like to put it in simpler terms

viz:

Under the premise that the body isnt going to do anything to hurt itself, it makes sense that if the body produces its own cholesterol then cholesterol obviously is not bad for us.. Its the same with saturated fat. Our body isnt going to do anything to harm itself - it wants to stay alive. Like you said blaming cholesterol is like blaming the fireman for the fire - thats exactly right.