Thread: House to vote Thursday on war powers resolution after Iran attacks

Exclamation House to vote Thursday on war powers resolution after Iran attacks

Time to light up the phones. Call your Congressman!

The House will vote Thursday on a resolution to limit President Trump's ability to take future military action against Iran without congressional authorization, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced Wednesday afternoon.#

Pelosi's statement came after a classified lawmaker briefing from top administration officials following attacks by Iran the night before on two bases in Iraq that house U.S. troops.

The resolution directs the president to end the use of U.S. armed forces to engage in hostilities in or against Iran unless Congress has formally authorized it or if there is an "imminent armed attack upon the United States." It was introduced on Wednesday by freshman Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.), a former CIA analyst who served three tours in Iraq and represents a competitive district.

“Members of Congress have serious, urgent concerns about the Administration’s decision to engage in hostilities against Iran and about its lack of strategy moving forward. Our concerns were not addressed by the President’s insufficient War Powers Act notification and by the Administration’s briefing today," Pelosi said.

“Today, to honor our duty to keep the American people safe, the House will move forward with a War Powers Resolution to limit the President’s military actions regarding Iran," Pelosi added.

Lawmakers said Wednesday that they are still trying to work something out that ensures the resolution will have a "privileged" status in the Senate and therefore will require action by the upper chamber.

Progressives have also been pushing Democratic leaders to also hold votes on two additional bills. One from Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) would prohibit funding for offensive military force in or against Iran without prior authorization from Congress while the other, from Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.), would repeal the 2002 authorization of military force for the Iraq war.

Moments before Pelosi's announcement, members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus held a press conference calling for votes as soon as this week on the resolution as well as the two bills from Khanna and Lee.

Pelosi said that the House "may" vote on those measures but didn't commit to a timeframe.

“The House may also soon consider additional legislation on the Floor to keep America safe," Pelosi said.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...r-iran-attacks

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.), would repeal the 2002 authorization of military force for the Iraq war.
    We have to wait for Barbara Lee to write this up?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The resolution directs the president to end the use of U.S. armed forces to engage in hostilities in or against Iran unless Congress has formally authorized it or if there is an "imminent armed attack upon the United States." It was introduced on Wednesday by freshman Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.), a former CIA analyst who served three tours in Iraq and represents a competitive district.
    A watered down, nothing-burger from the establishment. Meant to derail the more serious proposals.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Update with Rand/Lee developments

Democrats are set for a clash with President Trump over war powers and Iran.

House Democrats will vote Thursday on a war powers resolution that would rein in Trump’s ability to take military action against Iran without congressional signoff, a culmination of days of frustration on Capitol Hill with the administration’s strategy.

The vote comes as both Trump and Iranian officials signaled that they were trying to ratchet down tensions inflamed with the U.S. airstrike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani. Iran responded with a missile attack Tuesday on two Iraqi bases that house U.S. troops.

Democrats emerged from back-to-back closed-door briefings on Iran voicing deep frustration about what Trump’s plan is moving forward.

A quartet of top administration officials — Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, CIA Director Gina Haspel and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley — were dispatched to brief both the House and Senate on Wednesday amid days of concerns from lawmakers that Trump was on a path to war with Iran.

“Members of Congress have serious, urgent concerns about the administration’s decision to engage in hostilities against Iran and about its lack of strategy moving forward. Our concerns were not addressed by the president’s insufficient War Powers Act notification and by the administration’s briefing today,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said in announcing the vote.

The House resolution would force Trump to end hostilities against Iran unless Congress authorizes a war or the action is to thwart an imminent threat. The administration has justified the strike that killed Soleimani by saying it was needed to prevent an “imminent” threat.

Democrats were widely unsatisfied by the intelligence provided during the briefing, which Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) called “sophomoric and utterly unconvincing.”

“I believe there was no rationale that could pass a graduate school thesis test,” he said. “I was utterly unpersuaded about any evidence about the imminence of a threat that was new or compelling.”

Asked about whether she was convinced of an imminent threat, presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said flatly “no,” without elaborating.

“I have already said I don’t think the U.S. is any safer after killing Soleimani. In fact, I think the U.S. is much closer to war. Donald Trump has put this country at risk. This was a Trump-made crisis,” Warren told reporters on Capitol Hill.

Thursday’s vote is unlikely to be the last clash on the issue.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has asked for a second Iran briefing with the same administration officials within a week. He noted that only 15 senators were able to ask questions Wednesday.

“As the questions began to get tough, they walked out,” he said.

Pelosi said the House is considering additional legislation, including a repeal of the 2002 Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) and legislation to block the administration from using funding to carry out military activities against Iran. The 2002 AUMF authorized the Iraq War and has been cited by the administration as part of its legal justification for the Soleimani strike.

A Senate war powers vote is expected as soon as next week, on a resolution from Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) that would make Trump withdraw U.S. troops from hostilities against Iran within 30 days unless there was an “imminent” threat.

Kaine said Wednesday that he is continuing to gather support for his measure, saying he is talking to colleagues about any “adjustments” they would like to see.

In a blow to the administration, Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.) both announced after the Senate’s closed-door briefing that they will support Kaine’s proposal.

To pass the Senate, and spark a veto showdown with Trump, Democrats need four Republicans to get the 51 votes to initially pass the war powers resolution.

Lee, Paul and Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) previously supported a similar resolution from Kaine and Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.). Before the briefing, Lee’s spokesman had said he would oppose Kaine’s new measure and Paul had been undecided.

Lee characterized the meeting with the administration as “the worst briefing I’ve seen, at least on a military issue,” and said officials warned that Congress would “embolden” Iran if lawmakers debated Trump’s war powers.

“I find this insulting and demeaning ... to the office that each of the 100 senators in this building happens to hold. I find it insulting and demeaning to the Constitution of the United States,” Lee said, adding that the administration’s logic was “insane.”

Lee said he was undecided on Kaine’s proposal before the briefing but that he was now prepared to support it “specifically because of what happened in that briefing.”

Paul added that he would also back Kaine’s measure, questioning the administration’s decision to use the 2002 AUMF.

“I see no way in the world you could logically argue that an authorization to have war with Saddam Hussein has anything to with having war with people currently in Iraq,” Paul told reporters, adding that using the 2002 AUMF to cover the Soleimani strike was “absurd” and an “insult.”
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ran-war-powers

Trump should really piss them off with immediate withdrawal from iraq
    Do something Danke

https://twitter.com/fltrumpteam/stat...76858210082816

This was a genius move by Trump to get Democrats onboard and moving forward with some anti-war legislation.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    This was a genius move by Trump to get Democrats onboard and moving forward with some anti-war legislation.
    But how many dimensions?
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Trump should really piss them off with immediate withdrawal from iraq
    That would be quite biblical.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    That would be quite biblical.
    It's a big day today. Be sure to email or call your Congressman/Senator!

Will Massie support it? Before Trump, I would say "of course". Now I'm not so sure.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Will Massie support it? Before Trump, I would say "of course". Now I'm not so sure.
    Don't be silly he will support it

What about your own congressman?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post

I'm certain he'll support it. I'll call to make sure though. Thanks for the post.

Trump urges Republicans to vote against war powers resolution: 'Just another Democrat fraud'

President Trump is urging Republicans to vote against the war powers resolution scheduled for a vote in the House on Thursday.

The president in an early morning tweet labeled the proposal as “Crazy Nancy Pelosi’s War Powers Resolution."

In his post, he also mentioned the "Impeachment Hoax," and reminded his followers that Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) hasn’t sent the House-passed impeachment articles against him to the Senate.

“Just another Democrat fraud,” he said. “Presidential Harassment!”

Hope that all House Republicans will vote against Crazy Nancy Pelosi’s War Powers Resolution. Also, remember her “speed & rush” in getting the Impeachment Hoax voted on & done. Well, she never sent the Articles to the Senate. Just another Democrat fraud. Presidential Harassment!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 9, 2020

Pelosi announced Wednesday that the House will vote Thursday on a resolution to limit the president’s ability to authorize military action in Iran without congressional consent. The Speaker’s statement came after Trump approved of a U.S. strike in Iraq without congressional approval that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani.

Iran has responded to the killing by threatening retaliation and took responsibility for missile attacks on Iraqi bases housing U.S. military personnel on Wednesday.

Some GOP lawmakers, including Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), have criticized the president’s move after what they called an “insulting” briefing from administration officials. The senators said the officials told them that supporting the war powers resolution would “embolden Iran.”

The House passed two articles of impeachment last month, but the Senate is waiting for Pelosi to transfer them to the upper chamber to start a trial. She has said she is withholding them until she gets clarity on how the Senate trial will be run.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...esolution-just

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    A watered down, nothing-burger from the establishment. Meant to derail the more serious proposals.

Ron and Daniel agree with me. This House Bill is nothing but a bullish!t, partisan, nothing-burger.

Ron and Daniel agree with me. This House Bill is nothing but a bullish!t, partisan, nothing-burger.

The senate version will be better with Rand and Lee on it. They need two more senators Sen Collins and Murkowski hopefully.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    House has passed the resolution. Anyone got the roll call?

Next week the Senate will vote on better resolution than the House. We need 2 more GOP senators to pass it.

Anyone in Indiana needs to contact Sen. Young. He is undecided.

The House may have more votes on Iran in the coming weeks. Pelosi vowed Thursday to vote to repeal the 2002 authorization for the use of military force, which authorized the Iraq War and which the Trump administration has used as legal justification for the Soleimani strike. She has also said the House may vote on a bill to block funding for military action against Iran.

The Senate, meanwhile, is expected to move on a similar war powers resolution from Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.). His measure is a “joint resolution,” though, and so would have the force of law – but also need Trump’s signature.

“I think we would like to try to get one to the president's desk,” Kaine said Thursday on taking up his measure instead of the House measure.

Democrats can force a vote on Kaine’s measure as soon as Tuesday in the Republican-controlled chamber. It’s unclear, though, whether the resolution can muster the simple majority needed to pass the Senate.

In June, four Republicans supported a measure that would have blocked funding for military action against Iran: Sens. Rand Paul (Ky.), Mike Lee (Utah), Susan Collins (Maine) and Jerry Moran (Kan.). Four Republicans would give the war powers resolution 51 votes, assuming all Democrats vote for it.

Paul and Lee announced Wednesday they support Kaine’s proposal after the administration’s Iran briefing, which Lee called “insulting and demeaning.”

Collins and Moran have not announced a position on the resolution. Sen. Todd Young (R-Ind.) has also said he’s undecided on the resolution.

Another complicating factor for the Senate is the possibility of the House sending over articles of impeachment against Trump before it can take up the war powers resolution. That would likely push a vote on the war powers resolution until after the impeachment trial. Pelosi said Thursday she would send the articles “soon.”
    https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...-trump-on-iran

Sen. Collins is up for relection this year,, need to pressure her!

Edit: my bad. Wrong resolution:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2020/roll007.xml
    Last edited by EBounding; 01-09-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Last edited by Swordsmyth; 01-09-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Three Republican lawmakers voted for the measure – Gaetz, Massie and Rooney.

the Indie voted yea, that;s Amash

So proud of GOPA wing, they are no less brilliant than GOP of 2003. Very non-blundering folks.

Iraq War: The Biggest Blunder in US History
    Iraq War Resolution
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution
    United States House of Representatives. 215 (96.4%) of 223 Republican Representatives voted for the resolution. 82 (39.2%) of 209 Democratic Representatives voted for the resolution.

In un-related news, there are rumors that closet to 39% Dems are supporting MAGA now.

"82 (39.2%) of 209 Democratic Representatives voted for the resolution."

A non-binding concurrent resolution, is not law, it's a glorified press release, i.e. a waste of time.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    A non-binding concurrent resolution, is not law, it's a glorified press release, i.e. a waste of time.
    I think most non-binding resolutions are pointless. In this case it's being used to assert House's constitutional authority over the executive branch. That's never a bad thing.

And it could have political consequences. If Donald escalates further with Iran without Congressional approval, he was warned by the chamber which happens to have the sole power of impeachment.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have to wait for Barbara Lee to write this up?
    House has passed the resolution. Anyone got the roll call?

Next week the Senate will vote on better resolution than the House. We need 2 more GOP senators to pass it.

Anyone in Indiana needs to contact Sen. Young. He is undecided.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4...-trump-on-iran
    Edit: my bad. Wrong resolution:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2020/roll007.xml
    HR 2456 was the one sponsored by Massie and Barbara Lee. I don’t believe that even got a vote. Correct me if I’m wrong on that.

HR 2456 was the one sponsored by Massie and Barbara Lee. I don’t believe that even got a vote. Correct me if I’m wrong on that.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...-authorization