Thread: On the legality (and production) of "Applejack"

On the legality (and production) of "Applejack"

The law usually only worries when it is sold though. If they miss their cut on the tax, they will hunt you down.
    []
    I've always heard that making eisbock is illegal, not that any law covering it at the homebrew level is actually enforced
    http://forum.northernbrewer.com/view...=41000&start=0

My Press

No self respecting Patriot would ever go without making a batch of Apple Jack every winter. Heck, good ol' George Washington used to make barrels of it! It is the absolute easiest (and most tasty!) form of liquor anyone has ever made while living in the great white north! This finally solves the riddle why anyone in their right mind would EVER want to live in a climate with such a cold, harsh winter!

Now, thanks to good ol' Thomas Edison and his electric current and the artificial refrigeration technology developed by William Cullen way back in 1748, anyone can make it these days! As an added bonus, he that hath the best freezer, will hath the best hootch!

Why is that one might ask? Well, the colder you go, the higher the proof! For an idea of what you can get, at zero degrees you'll make 15%, minus ten will yield 21%, minus twenty will yield 27%, and minus thirty will yield 33%. That is 30, 42, 54, and 66 proof respectively! So for the colonial Americans, the rougher the winter, the better the summer! Not bad for no still huh? Speaking of stills, a note on legality here:

"In the United States the production of applejack, since the process used is considered distillation, is illegal. The ATF&E considers this the same as operating a still, and therefore this should not be attempted without licensing."

Now, for historical purposes only, here is how it was done by the Original Patriot Type Folk!

"Take a wagon of good apples plucked during the peak of ripeness and mash them well into a barrel, removing the bodies to leave the juices. The fellow now prepares sweet water by adding four scoops of molasses sugars dissolved into one jug warm water. He adds this to the barrel at a rate of one portion of sweet water to one portion of apple juices. He adds lastly to the barrel one scoop of yeasts. Having done these steps he then loosely caps the barrel to exclude vermin and places in the cold cellar to await the coldest freezings of winter. On the harshest of winter days when it is too bitter for all else, he will venture into the cellar and using a holed ladled covered in mesh cloth, he removes all the frozen waters leaving behind the prepared elixir. Five full barrels of the prepared mixture will give remnants of one full barrel of elixirs."

So to help understand it, in today's English it shakes out like this:

One gallon apple juice with no additives or preservatives what-so-ever.
    Four pounds of dark brown sugar dissolved into one gallon of hot spring water.
    Cool the sugar water mix.
    Add two packets of wine yeast.
    Mix all together and allow to ferment until the yeast are almost all dead.
    (Using an air bubbler, wait until there is less than one bubble per minute.
    Without the bubbler, wait at least two weeks.)
    Filter the mix into freezer safe plastic jugs.
    Place in the coldest environment (deep freezer) available and freeze overnight.
    Shake in the morning.
    Repeat this cycle for one week.
    (replicates the freeze thaw cycle during a winter season)
    Starting day eight, shake and filter out the ice.
    Return the liquid to the jug. Repeat until it will no longer freeze.

Apple Jack.

Posted by Will at 10:30 AM Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook

1 comment:

BogSpores said... Awesome article! I can hardly wait to NOT do this soon! (ATF blows).

May 31, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Post a Comment
    http://www.patriotunderground.net/20...pple-jack.html

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/...ple-jack-7427/
    I don't see a location by your name, so I can't speak to the legality of it specifically where you are at. Here in the US it is illegal to distill with heat. You can concentrate with a freezing process because it isn't considered distilling. There is debate on that, but I saw a podcast recently where they showed you how to create eisebier and how to make it (freeze concentration) and they said they called the ATF (who told them they don't monitor anymore and sent them to a tax agency), and the tax agency told them that they don't care if home makers freeze concentrate their beverages. Heated stills are another story entirely.

In other countries, however, it may be completely legal to build a still and make real apple jack. Check the laws in your area.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index...66-apple-jack/
    It is not legal anywhere in the US to distill spirits without a federal license (application for fuel), even for personal consumption.

According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms:
    “You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19. Spirits may be produced for nonbeverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive ATF’s approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.”

Freezing an alcoholic beverage containing ethanol with the intent to increase/concentrate the amount of alcohol does meet the definition of distillation. Many people assume that distillation equals use of a still and that is not correct.
    I was not aware of ANY state in the US that allows you to distill alcohol for personal consumption but was actually just answering based on where I reside.

Here is the ATFs definition of a distilled spirit....and freezing so you can intermittently and repeatedly remove the ice build up falls into the definition of a distilled spirit....Distilled spirits. Section 117(a) of the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (27 U.S.C. 211(a)) defines ?distilled spirits? as ethyl alcohol, hydrated oxide of ethyl, spirits of wine, whiskey, rum, brandy, gin, and other distilled spirits, including all dilutions and mixtures thereof for nonindustrial use.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/appl...nt/index2.html
    Fractional freezing is not distilling which is why brewers can make eisbier and not be a licensed distiller. No need to worry about the ATF coming after you.

op still manifesting... hang on and have a sip of last year's jack while I crystallize my thoughts...

Freeze distillation can concentrate methanol and fusel alcohols (by-products of fermentation which true distillation separates out) in applejack to unhealthy levels.
    reducing methanol with the absorption of 4A molecular sieve is a practical method for production.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applejack_%28beverage%29
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_sieve
    Last edited by presence; 08-29-2013 at 06:31 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No heat = no still. Bastards regulate everything fun.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    No heat = no still. Bastards regulate everything fun.
    But alcohol is legal.

Holy $#@!, I never thought of doing that. That's awesome. I make beer, so this should be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    But alcohol is legal.
    - only if you're 21
    - only if you have ID
    - only if you have a license to distill it (beer and wine are fine to brew)
    - you may not create spirits without permission

Yep... it's a way for the state to make money. In my state, we never gave anyone trouble for moonshining... mostly because no one this far up north of the Mason Dixon line can make it ROFLMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    - only if you're 21
    - only if you have ID
    - only if you have a license to distill it (beer and wine are fine to brew)
    - you may not create spirits without permission

Yep... it's a way for the state to make money. In my state, we never gave anyone trouble for moonshining... mostly because no one this far up north of the Mason Dixon line can make it ROFLMAO.
    Brown bags.

Not after 1am or before 6am

Open containers.

Public intox.

Seems the American spirit was lost somewhere. People happy they legalized marijuana have a shocker coming up. Regulate lost its meaning (to make regular) and the Commerce Clause has been twisted into something unrecognizable. Thus, nothing is legal. You just have to wait in line until it's your turn to be taxed.

Good to see people supporting liberty. Here's to a good harvest!

Brown bags.

Not after 1am or before 6am

Open containers.

Public intox.

Seems the American spirit was lost somewhere. People happy they legalized marijuana have a shocker coming up. Regulate lost its meaning (to make regular) and the Commerce Clause has been twisted into something unrecognizable. Thus, nothing is legal. You just have to wait in line until it's your turn to be taxed.

Good to see people supporting liberty. Here's to a good harvest!
    In my state, you can only be charged with open container if you blow above .08. As for public intox, that's a little different... you could theoretically get public intox inside of a bar! Also, we can't buy booze outside of a bar on Sunday.

Yep... when the government has full control, you have nothing. It all comes down to a few sympathetic officers who are charged with doing the right thing. This kind of $#@! makes me want to return to the sheriff's office... but I probably won't be welcomed back... not many good people anymore.

This year's sunflower was 9'5" by the way

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    TY! I am going to try to make it.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

For the lazy person purchase inexpensive apple juice add yeast and do the same.

Anyone care to guess how this would turn out if I used orange juice and Belgian witbier ale yeast?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Holy $#@!, I never thought of doing that. That's awesome. I make beer, so this should be pretty easy.
    Yeah cider is easier than beer. I've got a couple gallons down in the basement that I fermented with some champagne yeast. Packed em full of honey and apple cider.
    They are right about 18% without having to do any freezing either. Crystal clear now.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    For the lazy person purchase inexpensive apple juice add yeast and do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Yeah cider is easier than beer. I've got a couple gallons down in the basement that I fermented with some champagne yeast. Packed em full of honey and apple cider. They are right about 18% without having to do any freezing either. Crystal clear now.
    This inspired me to go dust em off. Checked the label, they had been down there sitting since 3/28/2012.

Pretty darn smooth, but I can already tell it packs a wallop.

I want to do this! Where can I get one of those big water jugs from?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    I want to do this! Where can I get one of those big water jugs from?
    Walmart sells them.

They're like 13 bucks, IIRC.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How do you check the proof of it? A hydrometer?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

How do you check the proof of it? A hydrometer?
    Click for larger image and other views

Share your own related images
    Image is representative of the product family.
    HYDROMETER - ALCOHOL, 0 - 200 PROOF Proof & Tralle

By Bellwether®
    4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)

Price: $22.00 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post

I bought a bottle of applejack over thanksgiving. Mixed it with maple syrup and bitters... holy $#@! brah. I drank the entire bottle in 3 days.

It's very dry, very tart and very strong. Out of 1 gallon, I now have 32oz of jack.