Thread: Squirrels could hold secret to preventing brain damage for stroke patients

Squirrels could hold secret to preventing brain damage for stroke patients

Researchers in the US have discovered that when squirrels hibernate a protective process occurs in their cells which allows their brain to function with reduced blood flow and oxygen.
    When they awaken the animals suffer no ill-effects despite being deprived of essential nutrients.
    During an ischemic stroke the blood supply, containing sugar and oxygen, is cut off to the brain, causing cells to die, which often leads to paralysis and speech problems.
    Scientists from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) believe that creating a drug which could trigger the same cellular changes of hibernating squirrels could prevent that brain damage.
    "If we could only turn on the process hibernators appear to use to protect their brains, we could help protect the brain during a stroke and ultimately help people recover," said first author Joshua Bernstock, a graduate student at NINDS.

Researchers found that a cellular process called SUMOlyation goes into overdrive when squirrels hibernate, protecting their cells. They found that process could be boosted by the enzyme ebselen.
    When ebselen was injected into animal brain cells, they stayed alive, even when deprived of blood and oxygen.
    Further experiments also showed that ebselen boosted SUMOylation in the brains of healthy mice.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/squirrels...132900640.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So I wonder how they would get the ebselen boosted during a stroke.

Would they have some kind of computer, give them an injection when it senses the person is having a stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

Would they have some kind of computer, give them an injection when it senses the person is having a stroke?
    Yeah, kind of hard to inject and deliver a drug to protect cells from a lack of blood supply after the blood supply is already cut off.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

There's a window of about three to four and a half hours following most strokes,
    before irreparable brain injury occurs.
    Last edited by navy-vet; 11-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.

There are also a number of strokes that occur in patients who are in the Hospital for other problems.

That's why they treat strokes like they treat heart attacks now that they have the means to treat most of them. Twenty years ago, they just had to let it run it's course and hope for the best. Then they developed CT scanners, clot busting drugs like TPA etc.

This business reminded me of a technique for lessening damage from severe head injuries we called "caving", where the patient was put into a sort of suspended animation using cold and coma. It is based on the mammalian reflex that has protected the brains of near drowning victims who were submerged in cold water for nearly an hour and recovered without any cognitive impairment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yeah, kind of hard to inject and deliver a drug to protect cells from a lack of blood supply after the blood supply is already cut off.
    Which is why there are lots of neuroprotective molecules that have failed in clinical trials. The best therapy is to restore as much blood flow as possible as soon as possible. That is why early adopter cities are buying-into dedicated stroke ambulances. There were two different models in the vendor area of the International Stoke Conference in LA. It's still a struggle to get 12-lead ecgs into ambulances for cardiac cases. I suspect the adoption of these units for neurological emergencies will be even slower. Everything in this country is controlled by a slowly changing, formulaic Medicare reimbursement system. All the major insurance companies follow lockstep.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Which is why there are lots of neuroprotective molecules that have failed in clinical trials. The best therapy is to restore as much blood flow as possible as soon as possible. That is why early adopter cities are buying-into dedicated stroke ambulances. There were two different models in the vendor area of the International Stoke Conference in LA. It's still a struggle to get 12-lead ecgs into ambulances for cardiac cases. I suspect the adoption of these units for neurological emergencies will be even slower. Everything in this country is controlled by a slowly changing, formulaic Medicare reimbursement system. All the major insurance companies follow lockstep.

XNN
    The bummer is, even with the latest clot busters, the odds are against you. They only work some of the time. You can have your stroke in the hospital, and your chances are almost the same as taking an aspirin at home.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The bummer is, even with the latest clot busters, the odds are against you. They only work some of the time. You can have your stroke in the hospital, and your chances are almost the same as taking an aspirin at home.
    The thrombolytic proteins that can break up the clot face the same limitations as the neuro protective molecules. It's the real estate problem - location, location, location. If the clot is too far away from a vessel branch with flowing blood, it's takes too long for the therapy to reach the surface of the thrombus and start working. This is the reason for a shift to the drip-and-ship model. Get the clot buster in at the local hospital and transport to a primary stroke center where an INR doc can put a clot retriever in and remove the thrombus. If the drug works during transport that's great. If it doesn't then you have an opportunity to restore flow and save some brain capacity.

This approach is still suboptimal. Good outcomes in ischemic stroke requires opening the clots in minutes, not hours. I live in a rural community. It's fifteen minutes from the ambulance base to my doorstep, another twenty minutes to the nearest community hospital, and an hour of transport time from there to a primary stroke center. As you can tell, I've given this some thought!

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

And "wet strokes", a disruption in the flow of oxygen enriched blood to an area of the brain due to a break in a blood vessel is a whole different matter.