Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Have Books/Reference Material

Must Have Books/Reference Material

Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living

Backwoods Home Magazine Anthologies

Old canning/preserving guides

Old army field manuals

Add yours...
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Emergency War Surgery

Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook

Any of the Foxfire series of books

Physician's Desk Reference
    (the paperback version, obviously)

The Merck Manual
    (same thing, except I've got this one on a pocket PC)

US Army Survival Manual FM 21-76

The Rifle Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Emanuel Watkins View Post
    A fart is change. Our founding fathers did a lot more than just fart.

Off the top of my head...

For health and medicine:
    Prescription For Nutritional Healing
    A Field Guide to Western Medicinal Plants and Herbs
    A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Of Eastern and Central North ...

These books, depending on where you live, combined with a basic herbalism manual (such as The Herbal Handbook: A User's Guide to Medical Herbalism or Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life with Energy, Health, and Vitality) will give you a good starting point to understand herb actions and applications. I include the field guides because I think it's very important to know what is growing where you live. Many common weeds are powerful medicines. Take for instance broadleaf plantain. If you are stung by a bee or wasp pick a leaf, chew it up and put it on the sting. It's miraculous how it makes the pain go away.

Gardening:
    Carrots Love Tomatoes
    The Ruth Stout No Work Garden Book
    Excellent books for beginners and old hands.

I second Carla Emery's Country Living Encyclopedia. FANTASTIC book.

For you Pennsylvania people this book is pretty helpful.

Edible Wild Plants of Pennsylvania and Neighboring States

You already mentioned Ruth Stout's "No Work Gardening" book, add the next book and add lasagna gardening and you are good to go.

"Square Foot Gardening"--Mel Bartholomew--good ideas for packing the plants in a small place, fewer weeds also

The American Horticultural Society "Plant Propagation." If you have ever wanted to save seeds or get another plant from your original, this is the book. Say you have a fig tree that is awesome, this book will tell you how to propagate a new plant. Layering, seed saving, how to sprout seeds the whole nine yards...

Two Herb books--Earl Mindell's "Herb Bible" and "Growing and Using Herbs Successfully" by Betty E.M. Jacobs Mindell's book tells you how to use the herbs and Jacobs' book tells you how to grow them.

"The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living" edited and compiled by Walter Szykitka
    This book is incredible, picked it up at books a million for $20 and it would have been cheap at twice the price. Headers in the Contents (each section has hundreds of entries) --First Aid--I've seen field manuals before, having been a medic in the army, but this one is the best, Survival-- survival on land, weapons, making fire,survival in the city, disasters on water, etc, Health How to keep yourself healthy with what you have in your bug out bag and what you can find--descriptions of deseases and what you can do about them. (from lupus to cataracts) Food and Nutrition nutritive value of foods, storage life, making jams and jellies, keeping food safe, etc Farm and Home radon, organing food and farming, beekeeping, raising livestock, trout farming, lighting-heating-cooling home and farm, solar systems, etc Tools how to use and care for tools, forging and welding, some older tools are shown in detail, a handy person could make a tool from the pictures in this section. Construction How to build almost anything, surveying, field structures, logging, adobe, wells and septic tanks and rope.

I like this book a lot, it has a lot of the information I find online, what I've ended up doing is printing out stuff and referencing it to this book, by either sticking the printout in the book, or putting it in a separate folder and referring to pages in the book at the top of the page. It's kind of like a Fire Fox book, but they don't really show you how to make tools from scratch. I do have one FireFox book, about smithing and other assorted good stuff.

Very nice--thank you!
    "Masterful and arrogant wealth, created largely by Government protection of its profits, not content with its domination and influence within a single party, had sought to corrupt them both, and to that end had insinuated itself into the primaries, in order that no candidates might be nominated whose views were not in accord with theirs." (‘Colonel’ Edward Mandell House in 'Philip Dru: Administrator', circa 1912)

The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It

I keep this on my night stand. I've probably read the thing cover to cover 3 times now.

All of the PDFs on this page.
    Well worth printing out and putting in the scrapbook.

http://www.savingourseed.org/index.html
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Talking

- The Freedom Manifesto: Frugal Living and avoiding extravagance / simplified lifestyle.

- When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance and Planetary Survival - I am buying this book, I haven't read it yet though.
    "Do not, however mistake me. It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." - Ben Franklin: On Religion

"Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day." - Thomas Jefferson

The awful truth is that, what people Do Not know will hurt them.

One of the best wilderness survival books I've seen is:

SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea by John Lofty Wiseman

I'd add:

Where there is no dentist by Murray Dickson.
    Boy Scout field book
    Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game by John J. Mettler

See my webpage: http://briscoefamily.com/emergency/survival.php

The Complete Book of Self Sufficiency, John Seymour.

Its quite old but timeless. How to use every inch of land in a practical way.
    The world does not consist of a throng of geniuses. WilliamBanzai7

44 ebooks on farm and agriculture with no copyright restrictions.
    http://www.agromisalustrum.org/agromisa/index.php

When you don't know a lot about a subject, a teaching aid can be a learning aid.
    Heres a good one, in pdf and free.
    http://www.seedsavers.net/publicatio...91548_6844.jsp
    Last edited by Dieseler; 11-11-2008 at 02:19 PM.
    Pandora's box is not only open but its sides have been split with a razor and it now resides in a dumpster.

This is worth it's weight in gold!

http://www.villageearth.org/pages/Ap...book/index.php

yes, pricey, but it's on sale through Dec 17th at $100 off. That's $400 for 1,150 books on CD or DVD format.

Note that some of the titles listed in the source book are not on the disks - but most are.

ok - it's not available via P2P sites, but some libraries do have it. Failing that, if someone really wanted ONE or TWO books from it - I might be able to help you out. The whole thing is way to big! - like 11.8 GB!

Looks like 7 US libraries have the CD and 3 have the DVD version.

http://www.worldcat.org/

There are some sites that have some of these books and similar books for free download - but I'd have to find those links again.

-t

I recommend How To Be Invisible. Great book on protecting your privacy. Goes over the top in some cases though.

Of course, everyone should read Human Action by Mises.

We just heard about "The Owner Built Homestead" and "Owner Built Home" by Ken Kern, they sound pretty good.
    Evolve to Freedom through being fully self sufficient and independent of systems of control in economy, technology, energy, education, nutrition, health, and other power centers of society. An Idea Whose Time Has Come. The Government starts at the precincts. Become a Party Precinct Chairperson to help take back the Government. Take Liberty into your own hands. Join the Campaign for Liberty. Educate yourself and others.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post
    Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living

Backwoods Home Magazine Anthologies

Old canning/preserving guides

Old army field manuals

Add yours...
    The "Have-More" Plan

This 50-year-old back-to-the-land classic shows how to find land, build a homestead, grow vegetables and fruits, raise livestock, build farm structures, and more.

You can download it here:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/8220882/Th...ountry-Living-
    --
    You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you. -- Eric Hoffer

Very excited, am I. Today received When All Hell Breaks Loose, Stuff You Need to Survive when Disaster Strikes by Cody Lundin and The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living edited and compiled by Walter Szykitka. It IS big book.
    In your hearts, you know he's right.

I'm a little surprised noone mentioned this gem:
    Harry Browne's How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

If you register for a free scribd account you can download the pdf:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/16329176/H...World-A5-177MB

most of the seed saving links above are not working, so I did a search and found this:

http://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

Boy Scout Handbook and Fieldbook.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

this is good stuff!! thanks guys

If you want true freedom... not the illusion of it, then I highly suggest you acquire, read, and understand The Red Amendment. http://www.redamendment.net/home/
    Remaining a US Citizen isn't a road to freedom. I also suggest reading They Own it All (including you!). http://www.newpeopleorder.com
    I don't think I need to elaborate on the evils of the banking system.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I grew up trapping , hunting , fishing and farming . Since I was knowledgable in those things , the one that I have used most is my US Army Special Forces Medical book .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I grew up trapping , hunting , fishing and farming . Since I was knowledgable in those things , the one that I have used most is my US Army Special Forces Medical book .
    thanks oyarde for your suggestion. I just bought the country living carla emery 10th edition thanks ms doodahs , i look forward to actually buying books again great suggestions through out this thread!!
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher89 View Post
    You already mentioned Ruth Stout's "No Work Gardening" book, add the next book and add lasagna gardening and you are good to go.

"Square Foot Gardening"--Mel Bartholomew--good ideas for packing the plants in a small place, fewer weeds also

The American Horticultural Society "Plant Propagation." If you have ever wanted to save seeds or get another plant from your original, this is the book. Say you have a fig tree that is awesome, this book will tell you how to propagate a new plant. Layering, seed saving, how to sprout seeds the whole nine yards...

Two Herb books--Earl Mindell's "Herb Bible" and "Growing and Using Herbs Successfully" by Betty E.M. Jacobs Mindell's book tells you how to use the herbs and Jacobs' book tells you how to grow them.

"The Big Book of Self-Reliant Living" edited and compiled by Walter Szykitka
    This book is incredible, picked it up at books a million for $20 and it would have been cheap at twice the price. Headers in the Contents (each section has hundreds of entries) --First Aid--I've seen field manuals before, having been a medic in the army, but this one is the best, Survival-- survival on land, weapons, making fire,survival in the city, disasters on water, etc, Health How to keep yourself healthy with what you have in your bug out bag and what you can find--descriptions of deseases and what you can do about them. (from lupus to cataracts) Food and Nutrition nutritive value of foods, storage life, making jams and jellies, keeping food safe, etc Farm and Home radon, organing food and farming, beekeeping, raising livestock, trout farming, lighting-heating-cooling home and farm, solar systems, etc Tools how to use and care for tools, forging and welding, some older tools are shown in detail, a handy person could make a tool from the pictures in this section. Construction How to build almost anything, surveying, field structures, logging, adobe, wells and septic tanks and rope.

I like this book a lot, it has a lot of the information I find online, what I've ended up doing is printing out stuff and referencing it to this book, by either sticking the printout in the book, or putting it in a separate folder and referring to pages in the book at the top of the page. It's kind of like a Fire Fox book, but they don't really show you how to make tools from scratch. I do have one FireFox book, about smithing and other assorted good stuff.
    will be looking for these books once i have some extra $$$ to spend!!
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    thanks oyarde for your suggestion. I just bought the country living carla emery 10th edition thanks ms doodahs , i look forward to actually buying books again great suggestions through out this thread!!
    When I was a kid , I read a book that I wish I could remember the name of or author ... It was a true story of a ship ( probably 1800's ), wrecked on the African coast , crew ( maybe British if I recall ) taken captive buy nomad slavers and it told what they did to survive a trek across the Sahara . I cannot imagine camel urine to be too tasty , but it got them through alive .

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    44 ebooks on farm and agriculture with no copyright restrictions.
    http://www.agromisalustrum.org/agromisa/index.php
    This link doesn't work. Do you have one that does?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    This link doesn't work. Do you have one that does?
    I'm not sure if this is the same. But with a little googling to see if that site was moved to another domain I found this:
    http://www.agromisa.org/index.php

You can download pdfs of all the pamphlets on that order form by clicking the little pdf icon next to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast