Thread: US Endorses Israeli Settlement Policy

US Endorses Israeli Settlement Policy

This is somewhat old news, but I didn't see a thread.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Monday that the United States had reversed a Carter administration-era State Department legal opinion calling Israeli settlements in the West Bank "inconsistent with international law." The decision, apparently long in the works, comes days after a ruling by an E.U. court requiring Israeli products made in disputed territories to carry special labels—a decision widely seen as creating a legal pretext for the E.U.'s eventual adoption of boycotts on Israeli goods.

In his remarks, Pompeo said international law is ambiguous on the question of whether settlements are illegal and added that "there will never be a judicial resolution to the conflict, and arguments about who is right and who is wrong as a matter of international law will not bring peace.
    https://freebeacon.com/national-secu...ministrations/

To be clear, Israel's settlement policy amounts to eminent domain, but with gunfire.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

To be clear, Israel's settlement policy amounts to eminent domain, but with gunfire.
    Trump reverses longstanding policy on Israeli settlements. Another neoconservative donors win?

Started by enhanced_deficit, 11-18-2019

It's not an endorsement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Since when is it a Ron Paul position that America should dictate to another country such policies?
    Whether you like it or not it is an internal Israeli issue and this is a decision Ron probably would have made, just like the embassy decision.
    It wasn't "longstanding" either.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Monday that the U.S. had reversed the policy of Presidents Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama, who declared Israeli settlements in Judea and Samaria (the “West Bank”) illegal.

Israel took over the region during the Six Day War in June 967, after Jordan, ignoring pleas from Israel to stay out of the unfolding war with Egypt and Syria, began shelling western Jerusalem. Israel’s counter-attack was victorious.
    Though the area is commonly described as “occupied,” Israel has long maintained that the territory is actually “disputed,” since Jordan had no sovereign right to the territory. If anything, Israel has a superior legal claim, resting on the Balfour Declaration on 1917 and the subsequent League of Nations approval of the British Mandate, which included provision for a Jewish National Home in Palestine. Palestinians also claim the area for their future state.
    Jews had lived in portions of Judea and Samara for millennia. It is the Biblical cradle of the Jewish faith; Jews also lived in Jerusalem, Hebron, and other areas. Many were killed or expelled in the 1948 war of independence, but some began coming back, and establishing new settlements on state land, from 1968 onward. Critics alleged that Israel was violating the Fourth Geneva Convention, which deals with occupied territories, but Israel countered that the territory was not “occupied”; that Palestinians were not being expelled; and that Jews were entering voluntarily.
    In 1978, the Carter administration adopted the position that the settlements violated international law. President Ronald Reagan reversed that policy, but then Obama reinstated it during the lame duck days of his administration.
    Secretary Pompeo issued a statement explaining the administration’s legal reasoning (original emphasis):
    After carefully studying all sides of the legal debate, this Administration agrees with President Reagan. The establishment of Israeli civilian settlements in the West Bank is not per seinconsistent with international law.
    I want to emphasize several important considerations.
    First, we recognize, as Israeli courts have, that legal conclusions relating to individual settlements must depend on an assessment of specific facts and circumstances on the ground. Therefore, the U.S. Government is expressing no view on the legal status of any individual settlement. The Israeli legal system affords an opportunity to challenge settlement activity and assess humanitarian considerations. Israeli courts have confirmed the legality of certain settlement activities and has concluded that others cannot be legally sustained.
    Second, we are not addressing or prejudging the ultimate status of the West Bank – that is for Israelis and Palestinians to negotiate. International law does not compel a particular outcome, nor create any legal obstacle to a negotiated resolution.
    Third, the conclusion that we will no longer recognize Israeli settlements as per se inconsistent with international law is based on the unique facts, history, and circumstances presented by the establishment of civilian settlements in the West Bank. Our decision today does not prejudice or decide legal conclusions regarding situations in other parts of the world.
    Finally, calling the establishment of civilian settlements inconsistent with international law has not advanced the cause of peace. The hard truth is that there will never be a judicial resolution to the conflict, and arguments about who is right and who is wrong as a matter of international law will not bring peace. This is a complex political problem that can only be solved by negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians.
    The United States remains deeply committed to helping facilitate peace, and I will do everything I can to help this cause. The United States encourages Israelis and Palestinians to resolve the status of Israeli settlements in the West Bank in any final status negotiations. Further, we encourage both sides to find a solution that promotes and protects the security and welfare of Palestinians and Israelis alike.

More at: https://www.breitbart.com/middle-eas...ments-illegal/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It's not an endorsement.
    Of course it is.

...but my bad on not noticing @enhanced_deficit's thread.

Of course it is.

...but my bad on not noticing @enhanced_deficit's thread.
    Nonintervention is not an endorsement.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Nonintervention is not an endorsement.
    Pompeo wasn't pontificating academically about international law.

He made this statement for the purpose of lending Israel public support.

Pompeo wasn't pontificating academically about international law.

He made this statement for the purpose of lending Israel public support.
    He made the statement to remove interventionist pressure that had been applied.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

He made the statement to remove interventionist pressure that had been applied.
    Huh?

Huh?
    The original intervention was when Carter and then O'Bummer took it into their head to announce that the US had any position at all on what is an internal Israeli matter in order to pressure them to do as we say about it.

By retracting that position we are no longer intervening in their internal affairs.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope Israel knows that if they need more armored bulldozers they can always just ask.

Lockheed could build them some great bulldozers. With stealth technology, integrated radar, countermeasures, etc
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

To be clear, Israel's settlement policy amounts to eminent domain, but with gunfire
    I prefer to call it "polite genocide". #apartheidstate #BDS #endzionismnao
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

It's and invasion, robbery, and Washington takes a disgusting stance in the crime, our
    Capitol is Israel, we do Israel's bidding.

Personally I do NOT agree that all people who point to the crimes of the British-founded state of Israel are anti-Semites...

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    A bill to amend legislation to make it easier for judges to hand out the death sentence passed its preliminary reading in Israel's parliament, the Knesset, on Wednesday with backing from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's ruling coalition.
    Palestinian politicians and human rights groups have condemned it as "fascist".
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    The Palestinian Shalhoub-Kevorkian in her recent lecture at Columbia University accused the Israeli occupation authorities of allowing pharmaceutical firms to experiment on Palestinian prisoners and using weapons on Palestinian children to boost the sale of their arms.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ian-emigration
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Eminent domain? I see it more like an invasion with gun unlike the invasion at our southern border.

The original intervention was when Carter and then O'Bummer took it into their head to announce that the US had any position at all on what is an internal Israeli matter in order to pressure them to do as we say about it.

By retracting that position we are no longer intervening in their internal affairs.
    Your Trump apologetics would make some sense if Trump is not busy telling Syria how to fight terrorism in their country and trying to force Venezuela into taking in a few lorries of food aid, telling Russia to leave Crimea etc etc etc. His very convenient rediscovery of non interventionism in this issue shows that he support their policy.

The ma is and has always been an Israeli firster

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Your Trump apologetics would make some sense if Trump is not busy telling Syria how to fight terrorism in their country and trying to force Venezuela into taking in a few lorries of food aid, telling Russia to leave Crimea etc etc etc. His very convenient rediscovery of non interventionism in this issue shows that he support their policy.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to juleswin again.
    Ya, he used zionist talking points in his campaign and in the POTUS debates, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

He should get rid of intervention everywhere but that doesn't mean he should keep it here until he does.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

lol