Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Trump Tweeting From a 'Secure' Smartphone? The White House Won't Say

Is Trump Tweeting From a 'Secure' Smartphone? The White House Won't Say

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...house-wont-say

For some time, the public has known that Donald Trump does a lot of his tweeting himself, from the account @realDonaldTrump, and from an Android smartphone. But many cybersecurity experts believed that would change once Trump took the oath of office, because White House-approved communication devices are much more secured — and stripped down — than the smartphones the rest of us use.

In fact, former President Barack Obama once compared his official White House smartphone to a child's toy. "It doesn't take pictures, you can't text," Obama told Jimmy Fallon in 2016. "The phone doesn't work. You can't play your music on it. So, basically, it's like — does your 3-year-old have one of those play phones?"

A few recent reports indicate that President Trump might still be tweeting from his old Android, and he may not even be following all the security protocols he should.

Unsecure smartphone

Soon after Trump's inauguration, an enterprising hacker found that Trump's @realDonaldTrump account was still tied to the Gmail account of a staffer, a move seen as insecure. (The account now seems to be connected to more official and secure White House email accounts.) And a January article in The New York Times reported that Trump continues to tweet from an "old, unsecured Android phone."

Several cybersecurity experts told NPR, if that's the case, it's not good.

"Donald Trump for the longest time has been using a insecure Android phone that by all reports is so easy to compromise, it would not meet the security requirements of a teenager," says Nicholas Weaver, a computer scientist at the University of California at Berkeley.

Weaver doesn't have any first-hand knowledge of the security standards on Trump's phone. But he says knowing that a sitting president has an insecure Android, "we must assume that his phone has actively been compromised for a while, and a actively compromised phone is literally a listening device."

Other cybersecurity experts didn't offer predictions that dire, but half a dozen of them told NPR that if Trump is still using an unsecured Android, even if only to tweet, malware could infiltrate the phone's camera or microphone, or even use geolocation to tell hackers the president's whereabouts.

Melanie Teplinsky, a privacy expert at American University, says even without those worst-case scenarios, just hacking into Trump's Twitter account alone could wreak havoc.

"Another concern is that someone tries to influence stock markets or politics through the use of a Twitter account by making false posts," she says.

No comment

NPR reached out the White House for comment on Trump's tweeting and smartphone use. We asked a few questions:

Is Trump tweeting from a secured device?
    Are those reports of Trump using an old, unsecured Android true?
    Is the Trump administration following all the cybersecurity protocols it should?
    The administration gave no answers to those questions, and no confirmation or denial of all those reports that Trump is using an unsecured device. But deputy White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham tells NPR, "We don't comment on security protocols of any kind."

The absence of a clear statement from the White House on the security of Trump's communications, matched with the continued reports of unsecured smartphone use, has led some to accuse Trump of hypocrisy.

"He and so many during the campaign were so critical of Secretary (Hillary) Clinton for what they felt were inappropriate practices," says Michael Sulmeyer, director of the Cyber Security Project at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government. "And it really is the height of hypocrisy to ... on day one, be doubling down on the exact type of behavior they had no problem riling up the base with."

Avi Rubin, a professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University, says: "If President Trump is carrying around an unsecured Android phone, that's 1,000 times worse than using a personal email server."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So tweeting information that is actually meant for the public is worse than high level government information on a personal email?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I'm betting that trump has long had cyber security folks working for him.

They probably do a better job being that they are hired to look after someone's private security/business.

He probably trusts his own team more than some strange hand-me-down goons left over from political enemies, I would.

At least Trump is not promoting Snapchat.

Is he really even tweeting?

With his well known obsessions and limited vocabulary, I imagine it'd be pretty easy to write a program to autogenerate Trumpisms.

Quote Originally Posted by MallsRGood View Post
    Is he really even tweeting?

With his well known obsessions and limited vocabulary, I imagine it'd be pretty easy to write a program to autogenerate Trumpisms.
    Not as easy as yours.

No, Trump's a man of simpler interests.

1. how much people like him
    2. how terrific people who like him are
    3. nuclear, especially the power
    4. the size of things in comparison to other things

This thread is great. It's going to be tremendous.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

@realDonaldTrump,

My question is this @RealZippyJuan? This thread is not Zip caliber. More like an intern.

Trump can tweet from Putin's cell phone for all I care, it is his personal account...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    So tweeting information that is actually meant for the public is worse than high level government information on a personal email?
    Exactly!

Signed,
    Mainstream media

Avi Rubin, a professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins University, says: "If President Trump is carrying around an unsecured Android phone, that's 1,000 times worse than using a personal email server."
    WTF?

Even a Luddite such as myself can see a difference between tweeting opinions and sending/storing sensitive documents..

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    WTF?

Even a Luddite such as myself can see a difference between tweeting opinions and sending/storing sensitive documents..
    Phones can do much more than post tweets. Most are equipped with cameras, microphones and GPS transmitters.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Phones can do much more than post tweets. Most are equipped with cameras, microphones and GPS transmitters.
    I would say that all phones are equipped with microphones but correct me if I am wrong.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I would say that all phones are equipped with microphones but correct me if I am wrong.
    most modern phones have multiple mics; the primary for face to the phone private conversation with limited range, a secondary for speaker phone, and some come with a 3rd for broader scope; recording a music event for example.

The concern would be activation secondary/tertiary mic which can pick up conversations from futher away.

Microphones on various models of phones vary quite a bit. Newer phones have two or three microphones, but differ quite a bit in their sound recording abilities. Especially problematic seems to be recording loud sounds, such as concerts, although even those capabilities are improving.
    http://www.wildmountainechoes.com/eq...-a-smartphone/

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Breaking DT alert:

Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Okay, so what?

What politician, or person for that matter, doesn't carry a cell phone?

Why would this be a big deal?

$#@!in' double post gremlins
    Last edited by tod evans; 02-04-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Forget the security issues for a second. It's just insanity that the president of the US is sending unfiltered insults in the middle of the night with no oversight. Trump is unhinged, he is going to piss off the wrong world leader soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Forget the security issues for a second. It's just insanity that the president of the US is sending unfiltered insults in the middle of the night with no oversight. Trump is unhinged, he is going to piss off the wrong world leader soon enough.
    The leaked Podesta emails revealed how statements usually get processed. A simple tweet is passed between dozens of aides, who nitpick every detail for days, before publishing the tweet the Hillary's initials.

Most Americans don't think it is insanity to speak one's mind.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post

I'm all for unfiltered.

No matter who we're talking about.

Unfiltered is great and all until Trump wakes up at 2 am and half asleep calls Kim Jong Un a little fatass, nukes fly and millions die. Don't say it can't happen.

Unfiltered is great and all until Trump wakes up at 2 am and half asleep calls Kim Jong Un a little fatass, nukes fly and millions die. Don't say it can't happen.
    What you seem to be missing is that you're speaking about the most powerful elected official in the US when you would have him monitored like a horny teenager...

Who exactly would you have monitor him?

And under what authority?

Who do you have in mind specifically? Putin?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What you seem to be missing is that you're speaking about the most powerful elected official in the US when you would have him monitored like a horny teenager...

Campaign donations?

Especially the ones who had to lie on their citizenship applications.

Who knows? It's unprecedented to have a president behaving like a teenager.

The leaked Podesta emails revealed how statements usually get processed. A simple tweet is passed between dozens of aides, who nitpick every detail for days, before publishing the tweet the Hillary's initials.

Depends on what kind of thoughts said mind is processing...

But anyway, I don't think the tweeter-in-chief's inane rantings are all that dangerous (world leaders will soon learn not to take him seriously).

But it does help discredit Trump, which is good (the people who currently find this refreshing will soon find it as pathetic as the rest of us do).

So, have at it, I say.

WTF?

Maybe this prof is taking one for the fake news team considering no one with a brain would equivocate, much less say it's a 1000% worse, that tweeting around thoughts about politics is in any way comparable to sending classified content on an unsecure private server just for the sake of hiding a trail of treasonous dealings that made her rich. Even Zip realizes this is lightweight material at best and hasn't came back with the research dept for a brainstorming session on how to make something out of this nonsense.

Account Closed Grand Island, NE

F this site
    Last edited by Clement Vallandigham; 02-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast