Thread: Canada/Quebec - Maxime Bernier Quits Conservative Party

pcgame

Canada/Quebec - Maxime Bernier Quits Conservative Party

Anyone hear about this? Maxime Bernier is basically a Canadian version of Ron Paul. Evidently, he quit the Conservative Party of Canada just recently and plans to create a new party.

http://www.maximebernier.com/why_i_a...arty_of_canada

Over the past few months, I have been raising policy issues which I believe are crucially important for the future of our country. This is my job as a Member of Parliament.

Moreover, it is my duty, as a Conservative Member of Parliament, to contribute to debates and to offer policy solutions from a conservative perspective. Otherwise, what is the point of being involved in politics?

I am in politics to defend ideas, real conservative ideas. Because I passionately care about Canada’s future. Because I know that the free-market conservative philosophy has the best solutions to ensure our society is more prosperous, secure, and peaceful.

However, my party’s stand on several issues have convinced me that under the current leadership, it has all but abandoned its core conservative principles.

I still cannot understand how a party that is supposed to defend free markets supports a small cartel that artificially increases the price of milk, chicken and eggs for millions of Canadian consumers.

More importantly, supply management has become one of the main stumbling blocks to an agreement with the United States on NAFTA. Former Conservative leaders Brian Mulroney and Rona Ambrose agree that it should be put on the table.

But the Conservative Party has been siding with the Liberal government. It also supports the retaliatory tariffs of the Liberal government, even though this is going to hurt our businesses and consumers. Even though Canada has no realistic chance of winning a trade war with a neighbour ten times larger. Even though we could successfully relaunch the negotiations if we put supply management on the table, and if we accept President Trump’s offer to negotiate a dismantling of all barriers, as the European Union has done.

The Liberals are playing politics with this crucially important trade file. They are endangering the 20% of our economy that depends on trade with the U.S., and Canada’s future prosperity.

But instead of leading as a principled Conservative and defending the interests of Canada and Canadians, Andrew Scheer is following the Trudeau Liberals. I was told that internal polls are showing that the Liberals’ response to Trump is popular. And that in six months, if the polls change, the party’s stand may change too.

The same thing happened in reaction to my tweets on diversity and multiculturalism. This is another crucial debate for the future of our country. Do we want to emphasize our ethnic and religious differences, and exploit them to buy votes, as the Liberals are doing? Or emphasize what unites us and the values that can guarantee social cohesion?

Just like in other Western societies grappling with this issue, a large number of Canadians, and certainly the vast majority of Conservatives, are worried that we are heading in the wrong direction. But it’s not politically correct to raise such questions.

Instead of leading the debate and pushing back against all the unfair accusations, Andrew Scheer chose to avoid the controversy. He and several of my colleagues disavowed me. They are so afraid of criticism by the Left and the media that they prefer to let down millions of supporters across the country who would like us to tackle this issue.

When the Liberal government recently renewed the unfair and inefficient equalization formula for another five years, I was the only one to criticize it. Not a word from my Conservative colleagues.

A Conservative party that supports free markets should also advocate the end of corporate welfare. It is not only the principled thing to do, it could also be popular if we defend it in a consistent way. Canadians are tired of paying taxes to bail out Bombardier, Ford and other businesses.

Instead of taking up this idea, Andrew Scheer announced that he would name a regional minister for all the regional development agencies in the country, as opposed to having only one minister overseeing them as is the case now. He wants a minister from Quebec to distribute subsidies to Quebec, a minister from Atlantic Canada to distribute subsidies to Atlantic Canada, and so on.

The conservative solution should be to abolish these wasteful agencies. What my party proposes is to make them more efficient at buying votes with taxpayers’ money.

How can we expect this party to adopt any conservative reform when it comes to power, if it cannot even articulate a clear stand and defend them before it is elected? I am now convinced that what we will get if Andrew Scheer becomes prime minister is just a more moderate version of the disastrous Trudeau government.

I have come to realize over the past year that this party is too intellectually and morally corrupt to be reformed.

I know for a fact that many in the caucus privately oppose supply management. But buying votes in a few key ridings is more important than defending the interests of all Canadians.

The whole strategy of the party is to play identity politics, pander to various interest groups and buy votes with promises, just like the Liberals.

The Conservative Party tries to avoid important but controversial issues of concern to Conservatives and Canadians in general. It is afraid to articulate any coherent philosophy to support its positions.

Every public declaration is tested with polls and focus groups. The result is a bunch of platitudes that don’t offend anybody, but also don’t mean anything and don’t motivate anyone.

Andrew Scheer keeps talking about his “positive Conservative vision.” But nobody knows what that vision is.

The Conservative Party has abandoned conservatives. It does not represent them anymore. And it has nothing of substance to offer Canadians looking for a political alternative.

If we want conservative principles to win the battle of ideas, we have to defend them openly, with passion and conviction.

That is what I want to do. And this is why as of today, I am no longer a member of the Conservative Party of Canada. I want to do politics differently. I will find another way to give a voice to millions of Canadians. And I will continue to fight for Freedom, Responsibility, Fairness and Respect.

Ezra Levant of The Rebel explains why Andrew Scheer should make Maxime Bernier the Conservative Party's point-man on ending supply management.

Today Maxime Bernier resigned from the Conservative Party. But it didn't have to be that way: Ezra Levant offered party leader Andrew Scheer advice on the eve of the party's convention...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    pcgame

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45290823

Canadian MP Maxime Bernier has quit the Conservative Party of Canada and says he will form his own party devoted to "more freedom, less government".
    He says his party will be ready in time for the October 2019 federal election.
    Mr Bernier lost the Conservative leadership race in May by a small margin to current leader Andrew Scheer.
    In recent weeks, he has launched Twitter attacks against PM Justin Trudeau's "extreme multiculturalism" and immigration policy.
    In front of a packed and expectant press conference on Thursday, Mr Bernier announced he is leaving the federal conservative caucus.
    He said he has not spoken to any other Conservative members of parliament about leaving the caucus for his as-yet unnamed party.
    "I want to do politics differently," he said. "I will find another way to give a voice to millions of Canadians. I will continue to fight for freedom, responsibility, fairness and respect."
    He has served as a Conservative MP for the Quebec constituency of Beauce for the past dozen years, and will remain an independent MP in the House of Commons.
    "I have come to realise over the past year that this party is too intellectually and morally corrupt to be reformed," he said.
    Mr Bernier says his decision was made in part because the party told him to "shut up" when he attacked Mr Trudeau's immigration and diversity policies.
    Mr Bernier also challenged the party's support for Canada's system of supply management in the agricultural sector, a system that has also been derided by US President Donald Trump and become a sticking point in Nafta negotiations.
    Mr Bernier had previously served as foreign affairs minister under the government of Stephen Harper, but resigned after it was discovered that he left confidential documents at the home of his ex-girlfriend, who had ties to organised crime figures.
    In response to Mr Bernier's decision to leave the party, Mr Scheer said: "He has chosen to put himself above all things".

There are political earthquakes happening all over Canada right now with many eyes and minds being opened. I am reminded of how energized I felt when I first heard about Ron Paul back in March 2007. When I moved to Canada in 2012, I thought my Liberty political life would be lived vicariously through this forum, and through whatever Rand could achieve in the Senate. I had no idea the fight for Liberty would move directly to my pastures. I have signaled my intent to volunteer and put all my efforts behind Team Bernier. The first polling came out days ago, and it's beyond anything I could have imagined. With no party infrastructure, in the middle of the old Conservative Party convention and just going by name recognition, our numbers are shooting up and taking votes from all mainstream parties. We live in very exciting times!

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyFrenchSpy View Post
    There are political earthquakes happening all over Canada right now with many eyes and minds being opened. I am reminded of how energized I felt when I first heard about Ron Paul back in March 2007. When I moved to Canada in 2012, I thought my Liberty political life would be lived vicariously through this forum, and through whatever Rand could achieve in the Senate. I had no idea the fight for Liberty would move directly to my pastures. I have signaled my intent to volunteer and put all my efforts behind Team Bernier. The first polling came out days ago, and it's beyond anything I could have imagined. With no party infrastructure, in the middle of the old Conservative Party convention and just going by name recognition, our numbers are shooting up and taking votes from all mainstream parties. We live in very exciting times!
    awesome... glad to hear.
    Trudeau is going to crash soon... I have no doubts...
    Your police state rivals our own.
    keep us posted.

Another reason why I think this is a winning message / party: Look at all the Center voters he is capturing already. This will come in handy when the "far right" smears start coming in. We're taking Liberty mainstream!

"There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

What is his stand on Quebec secession?

He used to be a separatist as that was the policy of the former party he represented years ago, but it hasn't really been a focus in recent years.
    I searched the archives on his website and found the following speech that talks about it:

For a proud, responsible and autonomous QuebecPublished on May 11, 2016
    I delivered a speech today in Mont St-Grégoire (south east of Montreal), before members of several conservative riding associations of the Montérégie region who had invited me, on my vision of Quebec and federalism. Here is an English version of the original French.
    -- 16 April 2010

(Words of thanks)

I would like to discuss with you today the future of our society, the future of Quebec, which worries me very much.

Political debates in Quebec have been dominated for several decades by the “national question.” It’s a legitimate debate, but a debate that’s not going anywhere and will probably not go anywhere for a long time to come. Lucien Bouchard said it recently, and polls also show it: most Quebecers do not believe that Quebec will separate from Canada in the foreseeable future.

Despite this, since the 1970s, we’ve talked a lot about political independence, about the constitution, we’ve held referendums. And meanwhile, we’ve built a system of economic dependence that’s become more and more elaborate.

Quebec has one of the biggest and most interventionist governments in North America, and one of the heaviest fiscal burdens. Quebec has the most far-reaching social programs. Quebec is the province that gives the most subsidies to businesses, artists, parents, and to a host of other groups. And let’s not forget the other problems, such as the fact that Quebec is among the most rapidly aging societies in the world. This will increase the cost of social programs, and there will be fewer young people to pay for them.

Some weeks ago, we learned in a study of the Quebec department of Finance that we rank fifth among the most indebted societies in the industrialized world, not far behind Greece which is currently going through a difficult financial crisis. While we were debating independence, we accumulated an enormous debt and we became dependent on borrowed money to fund an unsustainable level of public services.

We certainly have many reasons to be proud of our culture, our language, of the evolution of our society during the past four centuries. But the political choices that were made in Quebec in the past four decades have led us in a dead end. If we do not change direction soon, we’re going to hit a brick wall.

As it happens, the Bloc Québécois was recently celebrating its 20th anniversary. Instead of discussing the real problems of Quebec, the bloquistes prefer to continue debating a hypothetical project and try to prove that our federal system is not working.

Gilles Duceppe made a fool of himself by comparing the separatist movement to the resistance against the Nazis in his anniversary speech. If the bloquistes spent more of their energy trying to find solutions to the concrete challenges that we face instead of uttering such nonsense, perhaps we’d be in better shape as a society.

Mr Duceppe also complained, as he has been doing for 20 years, that Quebec did not get enough money from the federal government. He said that our last budget did not redistribute enough funds to Quebec, and that is the proof that federalism is not profitable for us. So in short, Mr Duceppe, who is fighting for Quebec independence, laments the fact that Quebec is not enough economically dependent on the rest of Canada. He wants Quebec to get more money, he wants us to be even more dependent!

This year, Quebec will get $8.5 billion in equalization payments, an increase of $200 million compared with last year. That’s more than half of the $14 billion in the program. That’s money that comes from the richer provinces, such as Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

It’s true that other provinces, such as Manitoba and the three Maritime Provinces, get even more equalization money per capita than Quebec, and so are even more dependent on Ottawa. But that’s not an excuse. As a Quebecer, I am not really proud of the fact that we are a poor province that gets equalization money.

And if we are poorer, it’s not the rest of Canada’s fault. It should be obvious enough that unbridled state interventionism does not lead to prosperity. If that were the case, Quebec would be the richest place in North America instead of being one of the poorest.

Many studies have shown that the less its government intervenes in the economy, the more prosperous a society becomes. The Fraser Institute regularly compares the economic situation in the provinces and states of North America and has found a direct correlation between the level of economic freedom and prosperity. An analysis of 23 OECD countries over a period of 36 years has also shown that economic growth is inversely proportional with government spending. For every additional ten percentage points of government spending as a proportion of GDP, economic growth is permanently reduced by one percent a year.

So, to repeat, the rest of Canada has nothing to do with the fact that we are poorer, as the bloquistes claim. We are poorer because of bad economic policies that made Quebec’s economy less productive; we are poorer because we live beyond our means instead of having responsible policies; we are poorer because the first reflex of much of our political class is to constantly beg for more money in Ottawa instead of taking the necessary decisions that would solve our problems and put our house in order.

In the 1970s, Robert Bourassa invented the term “profitable federalism” (“fédéralisme rentable”). That was a very unfortunate concept to put forward as a way to defend the merits of federalism. For many Quebecers, the more money we extract from the rest of Canada, the more profitable federalism is deemed to be.

Both federalist and separatist provincial governments have used the threat of separation to try to get more money. Can you remember the Bélanger-Campeau commission? The whole debate about the fiscal disequilibrium? It’s always the same pattern, the same beggar-thy-neighbour approach. Even when the amounts being sent by Ottawa increase, the reaction in Quebec City is always that it’s not enough, we need more, or else this is the proof that federalism is not profitable.

For my part, the type of federalism that I wish for is not a profitable one, it’s responsible federalism. On the masthead of my blog, there are two words in large characters, two inseparable principles that I consider extremely important: liberty and responsibility. I favour as much individual freedom as possible. But when you are free, you must also be responsible for your actions. You can enjoy the fruits of your labour, but you must also bear the consequences of your bad decisions.

The same is true for governments. A responsible federalism is a federalism that rests on the principle of subsidiarity. This means that issues should be handled by the smallest or lowest competent authority, the one closest to the people. Each one should fund its own programs and decide for itself its own priorities as an autonomous entity.

This way, each province, each region, each community, develops according to its own personality. This allows local particularities to be expressed. And each is responsible for its own policies. If one has bad policies, others cannot be held responsible and should not be forced to help pay the bill.

In a large and diverse federation like Canada, the fastest way to breed resentment and disunity is to have a big central government intervening in local affairs. Separatism in Quebec, and discontent in the West, grew fastest during the Trudeau era, as a reaction against central government activism.

We, conservatives, offer a different vision: a smaller and less interventionist government in Ottawa. The intention of the fathers of Confederation was clear: it was to have autonomous provinces, each one responsible and completely independent in their own jurisdiction.

Even if the Bloc only cares about criticizing, we are solving real problems in Ottawa. For example, our government cut the GST by two percentage points, which allowed Quebec to take up this fiscal space. As a taxpayer, I would have preferred no increase in my tax burden and that the Quebec government find other solutions to its financial problems. But this is an illustration of the flexibility of our federation. Provinces are free to decide their own fiscal policies.

Our government is also going ahead with its plan to reduce corporate taxes so that our economy becomes more competitive. Our government also adopted prudent policies to deal with the economic crisis and Canada is one of the countries that suffered the least from it. All of this helps Quebec and Quebecers.

Let’s be frank: many people in the rest of the country perceive Quebecers as a bunch of spoiled children who are never satisfied and always ask for more.

This perception has some basis in reality. It derives from 40 years of futile debates over independence; 40 years of irresponsible policies adopted by one provincial government after the other living beyond their means and getting us deeper into debt; 40 years of demands to extract yet more money from the pockets of our fellow citizens in the rest of Canada.

We have to get out of this false choice between independence and profitable federalism. We also need to put an end to policies that lead to our impoverishment and to stop expecting the rest of Canada to bail us out with more equalization money.

We are members of a political party at the federal level. As Canadian conservatives, there is obviously nothing we can do to solve the problems of the Quebec government. But we can contribute, in our own way, to changing the terms of the debate. We can shift political debates in Quebec to another paradigm. We can point to other solutions.

Imagine if, instead of exerting ourselves to get more money from the rest of Canada, we aimed at something more positive: to become sufficiently rich that we’re not on the receiving end of the equalization program anymore. Would we not be prouder as Quebecers if this happened?

Imagine if, instead of pointlessly debating the merits of political independence, we tried instead to live within our means and to get out of our economic dependence.

Imagine if, instead of having the bloquistes always trying to impede our progress within Canada, we had a group of conservative MPs teaming up with all those who, across this country, want a more decentralized federalism.

That’s the alternative that we have to offer Quebecers. The vision of a proud, responsible and autonomous Quebec. Thank you.
    http://www.maximebernier.com/speech_...onomous_quebec

Good luck and may GOD speed the right!
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2 statesmen fighting for Liberty. There is no doubt in my mind that Dr. Paul will soon pay us a visit in support of Max.

Tomorrow Friday morning 10am is going to be the big reveal for Maxime's new party name and logo. My money is on The People's Party but we'll see what he comes out with. If you need to be caught up on who Max is and why he's our Canadian Ron Paul, check out this political panel in English from 2010.

Another reason why I think this is a winning message / party: Look at all the Center voters he is capturing already. This will come in handy when the "far right" smears start coming in. We're taking Liberty mainstream!
    I hope he succeeds. It would be nice to have an escape route in case things get really bad down here in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I hope he succeeds. It would be nice to have an escape route in case things get really bad down here in the states.
    Also as a bonus when we do succeed (Failure is not an option here and our prospects are very much looking up), you'll be able to answer the slur that a libertarian small government would never work and that's why it has never been tried anywhere. We're going to unleash economic growth that will dumbfound everyone and put to shame previous statist governments, while making it easier for Liberty to take hold elsewhere in the world. I am so ecstatic to be a part of it!
    Last edited by SneakyFrenchSpy; 09-13-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Also as a bonus when we do succeed (Failure is not an option here and our prospects are very much looking up), you'll be able to answer the slur that a libertarian small government would never work and that's why it has never been tried anywhere. We're going to unleash economic growth that will dumbfound everyone and put to shame previous statist governments, while making it easier for Liberty to take hold elsewhere in the world. I am so ecstatic to be a part of it!
    I still wouldn't bet the farm on it succeeding. Socialism is tough to get rid of, it's like a weed. My theory is that it takes a really bad collapse before people will try liberty. For example in New Zealand where they were bankrupt from too much socialism. Are things pretty bad up there? I don't know much about the state of things up there. About the only thing I know is that car parts are extremely expensive based on a car forum I belong to.

There are so many examples I could give you of how bad socialism has $#@!ed up Canada, but here is one that hit close to home when my GF got sick last year:

When visiting an emergency room in Quebec, you have about a one-in-three (or 35%) chance that you'll have to wait 5+ hours to see a medical professional. In Ontario, the likelihood of someone waiting that long is only 15%, with Canada's average jumping up a bit to 19%.

The average length for visit to the emergency room (from triage to a gurney) is even worse, with most folks spending a full nine hours at the hospital. The international average is four hours, so you can see just how poorly Quebec stacks up against the rest of the western world.

But all of those figures only apply to people who actually have the patience to sit and wait through a trip to the emergency room and see a medical professional. Some people simply don't, with 10% of visitors leaving the hospital without seeing a doctor or being referred elsewhere.

In total, 1.5 million of emergency room visits in Quebec exceeded the province's maximum wait time, adding up to about 13 million hours of time wasted for Quebecers just sitting around and waiting for health care. According to the Montreal Gazette, all of those hour lost waiting (and not working) account for about $300 million in lost wages.
    https://www.mtlblog.com/news/quebec-...oom-wait-times

Moral of the story: Do NOT get sick in Canada, or you very easily could die while you wait.
    Last edited by SneakyFrenchSpy; 09-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.

The reveal:

http://cpac.ca/en

The People's Party of Canada

http://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/platform
    Last edited by SneakyFrenchSpy; 09-14-2018 at 08:06 AM.

pcgame

awesome

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Video in English of this morning's announcement
    http://www.cpac.ca/en/programs/headl...odes/64493616#

pcgame

we need a Maxime Bernier subforum on here

Canada is the next frontier for liberty.

edit: I am surprised The Rebel Media (news organization) has not wrote a story about this yet.
    Last edited by pcgame; 09-16-2018 at 04:30 AM.

pcgame