Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IL - Village of Deerfield bans "assault rifles" and magazines

Exclamation IL - Village of Deerfield bans "assault rifles" and magazines

Deerfield bans assault weapons and high-capacity magazines

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...412-story.html

Owners of assault weapons living in north suburban Deerfield have until June 13 to remove the firearms from within village limits or face daily fines after a ban was approved Monday night.

The Village Board of Trustees unanimously approved a ban on certain types of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, amending a 2013 ordinance that regulated the storage of those items.

The new ordinance prohibits the possession, sale and manufacturing of certain types of assault weapons and large capacity magazines within the village, according to the ordinance. One change from the law as it was originally discussed exempts retired police officers from the ban, according to Village Manager Kent Street.

Violations carry a fine of between $250 and $1,000 per day, according to Matthew Rose, the village attorney. He said the fine is levied each day until there is compliance.

Street said the new law is modeled after one approved by Highland Park in 2013. That ban survived a legal challenge by one of the city’s residents and the Illinois State Rifle Association. The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals held that legislation constitutional and the U.S. Supreme Court let the decision stand when it declined to take up the appeal.

Unlike Highland Park, Deerfield opted not to enact a total ban on assault weapons during a 10-day window that Illinois lawmakers’ gave home-rule municipalities in 2013 before the state’s new Firearm Concealed Carry Act eliminated their ability to do so.

However, Deerfield trustees did enact an ordinance defining assault weapons and requiring the safe storage and safe transportation of those weapons within the village. That measure, which was enacted during the permitted time frame, preserved Deerfield's right to amend the ordinance in the future, Street previously said.

“This is not only held constitutional by the Seventh Circuit but similar laws have been ruled constitutional in California, the District of Columbia and Maryland,” Rose said last month.

The original resolution said that since Deerfield enacted its regulations, “assault weapons have been increasingly used in an alarming number of notorious mass shooting incidents at public schools, public venues, places of worship and places of public accommodation.”

In the ordinance, the definition of an assault weapon includes, among others, semiautomatic rifles that have a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; shotguns with a revolving cylinder; and semiautomatic pistols and rifles that can accept large-capacity magazines and possess one of a list of other features. Among the dozens of specific models cited are the AR-15, AK-47 and Uzi, according to the ordinance.

The rationale mentions four recent shooting incidents that have claimed a total of 150 lives: The shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that left 17 dead; a massacre at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas that killed 26 people; the Las Vegas music festival shooting that left 58 dead and the Pulse Nightclub mass shooting in Orlando, Fla. that killed 49 people.

Though the trustees had virtually no debate Monday night, more than 70 people attended the meeting. Of the 20 people who spoke, 14 were opposed to the ordinance and six supported it. Eight of 14 people who expressed opposition to the ban said they lived outside Deerfield.

Opponents of the ban like Larry Nordal of Deerfield cited their rights under the Second Amendment and expressed fear that more restrictive laws would be passed in the future.

“The ordinance to store firearms was only passed for one reason,” Nordal said. “That was to have an amendatory vehicle that could be used in the future for just this purpose so you could banish assorted firearms in the future. First it’s going to be assault rifles. (There will be) new bans in the future. It’s just a matter of time.”

Ariella Kharasch, a Deerfield High School senior who favors the legislation, said she wants more action both on a local and national level.

“This is our fight,” Kharasch said. “This is our generation’s fight. We’re going to keep fighting and this is part of it. Change happens gradually step by step. The fight does not end at the borders of our village.”

Joel Siegel of Lincolnwood said governments in other countries have banned weapons and then proceeded to use weapons against defenseless citizens. He urged civil disobedience as a way to stay safe.

“There’s an ancient and honored American tradition called disobeying an unjust law,” Siegel said. “I have urged (people) to listen to their conscience and if so moved do not obey this law.”

Mike Weisman, a Glen Ellyn resident and a board member of the Illinois State Rifle Association said Deerfield should be prepared for a lawsuit like the one filed against neighboring Highland Park. That city received assistance with its legal defense from gun violence prevention organizations, according to Street.

While the trustees did not discuss their reasons for supporting the ordinance at this meeting, Trustee Barbara Struthers said she knew of people who were opposed but chose not to come and speak because it would subject them to ridicule in the community. She wants none of that.

“I’m going to vote for the ordinance but people who disagree with the gun owners should not be beating them over the head just because they disagree,” Struthers said.

Deerfield Mayor Harriet Rosenthal has previously stated that she decided to take up the ban after the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

“Enough is enough,” Rosenthal said when the ban was first discussed. “Those students are so articulate just like our students. There is no place here for assault weapons.”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Deerfield Mayor Harriet Rosenthal has previously stated that she decided to take up the ban after the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Fla.

“Enough is enough,” Rosenthal said when the ban was first discussed. “Those students are so articulate just like our students. There is no place here for assault weapons.”
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

I wonder if these commie retards think this will prevent a mass murderer from shooting them ? Or if they just do it to be commie retards ? Makes me feel safer knowing they are now much more likely to be shot than I . I think the Illinois police should disarm along with the people .

One change from the law as it was originally discussed exempts retired police officers from the ban
    Lol. $#@! you. One good thing about registration is that you can't hide. They are coming for your guns. Put up or shut up.

They just sent a crystal clear message to criminals that the people of Deerfield, IL are now sitting ducks.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

police have NO DUTY to protect you or your property, so who does!?!?

no veterans allowed?!?!

Isnt this a felony, 42 usc 1983 violation?!?!?

Is Deerfield , IL no longer part of these UNITED ( ha) STATES?!!?

this will a get struck down, I hope the people who pushed this are arrested and tried for treason!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Zombie Logic...

Zombies: Police are evil
    Zombies: Only police should have guns
    Zombies: I hate the government
    Zombies: The government should ban guns

"If Conservatives trust God, why do they need so many guns? ...Because we don't trust Liberals."
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My frustration is this:

I wonder just how many of those gun owners will pack up their families, their businesses, and their tax dollars and move to other more gun-friendly states, or will they eventually just comply and settle back down and hope this is as far as it goes?

Why do gun owners still live in New Jersey? Or Connecticut, or Deerfield, Illinois? Why help keep those areas of the country worthy of even being put on a map? Leave, and announce your exit boldly. And hell, let criminals know that law-abiding gun owners of Deerfield are bugging out but leaving the gate open.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Zombie Logic...

Zombies: Police are evil
    Zombies: Only police should have guns
    Zombies: I hate the government
    Zombies: The government should ban guns

"If Conservatives trust God, why do they need so many guns? ...Because we don't trust Liberals."
    Zombies: Only the government should have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    police have NO DUTY to protect you or your property, so who does!?!?

no veterans allowed?!?!

Isnt this a felony, 42 usc 1983 violation?!?!?

Is Deerfield , IL no longer part of these UNITED ( ha) STATES?!!?

this will a get struck down, I hope the people who pushed this are arrested and tried for treason!
    No, sadly, it won't, unless the SCROTUS decides to hear the case, assuming somebody takes it that high.

It's already been adjudicated...read the OP again.

In the ordinance, the definition of an assault weapon includes, among others, semiautomatic rifles that have a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition; shotguns with a revolving cylinder; and semiautomatic pistols and rifles that can accept large-capacity magazines and possess one of a list of other features.
    Wow. That's a big fishing net. This would apply to almost all semi-automatic weapons. Pretty much all 22 semi-auto rifles hold more than 10 rounds. If a weapon has a removable magazine, it's a good bet it "can accept large capacity magazines".

Ruger 10/22? Banned.
    Marlin Model 60? Banned.
    Remington Nylon 66? Banned.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Wow. That's a big fishing net. This would apply to almost all semi-automatic weapons. Pretty much all 22 semi-auto rifles hold more than 10 rounds. If a weapon has a removable magazine, it's a good bet it "can accept large capacity magazines".

Ruger 10/22? Banned.
    Marlin Model 60? Banned.
    and nearly every semi-auto handgun ever made. Broom handle Mauser may be acceptable.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Ruger 10/22? Banned.
    Marlin Model 60? Banned.

Zombies: When you give us that inch, that Bump Stock ban, we’ll take a mile.
    Zombies: No one is talking about banning all guns, just this and that
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

So how are they going to know if somebody has one of those in their house? Are they going to do daily inspections of everybody's home?

But they can still have hunting weapons right?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Like the "UK", if u USE it to defend yo self, YOU go to JAIL or worse.
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    But they can still have hunting weapons right?
    The goal of the 2nd is preventing deeranny, so of course hunting weapons of sport and tradition will be allowed.

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So how are they going to know if somebody has one of those in their house? Are they going to do daily inspections of everybody's home?
    Neighbors and acquaintances doing their "civic duty".
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    Yep.

Dispatch said a weapon was mentioned, we have to make contact.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    And FOID card registration lists.

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    The goal of the 2nd is preventing deeranny
    I hear it gets pretty bad in Deerfield, IL
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Remember the prestigious author who thought she saw a rebel flag (but it was the Norwegian flag), and she called the newspaper to "investigate"?

The concern nazis will turn you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Raginfridus View Post
    Remember the prestigious author who thought she saw a rebel flag (but it was the Norwegian flag), and she called the newspaper to "investigate"?

The concern nazis will turn you in.
    How would they know what's in my safe?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Know? The concern nazi does not know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Zombies: Only the government should have guns.
    Welcome to NaziErica.
    There is no spoon.

I had previously questioned the actual need for this,, but it's practicality is coming into view.

https://fightlite.com/collections/mcr-rifles
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Does it matter? Rumors. Or rumors of rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Does it matter? Rumors. Or rumors of rumors.
    So break down my door in the middle of the night like a thief, and then they'll find out if I'm armed.

So break down my door in the middle of the night like a thief, and then they'll find out if I'm armed.
    For your own good.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast