Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Fire Stick

Amazon Fire Stick

We are being shipped one as a Christmas present. Anyone have one? How does it work. Do we need to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu? How do we, or can we, get cable channels like AMC, HBO etc? What is the difference between the stick and just using my laptop for Netflix downloads?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Google "Firestick Kodi"

Am I this old-fashioned that when I hear "firestick" I think about some kind of magnesium rod you use to make fire ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Google "Firestick Kodi"
    Will do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Will do. Thanks.
    Reddit has a forum entirely devoted to it.

Google "Firestick Kodi"
    Yes. And you can stream Torrents on it if you set it up properly
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Am I this old-fashioned that when I hear "firestick" I think about some kind of magnesium rod you use to make fire ?
    When I hear "firestick" I think something completely different...
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

The biggest problem with it (besides being slow / low powered processing) is that it has bad wifi reception. You may need to use the adapter they included in order to get the thing out from behind the TV otherwise you may not get wifi reception with it.

I personally prefer Roku, but, this is a smaller solution that works very well.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it comes with Plus video you will be able to watch the Grand Tour

We are being shipped one as a Christmas present. Anyone have one? How does it work. Do we need to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu? How do we, or can we, get cable channels like AMC, HBO etc? What is the difference between the stick and just using my laptop for Netflix downloads?
    My wife just got one and I want a divorce.

Television gets on my nerves to the point I want to shoot the TV.

That said, it appears you can get anything... assuming you pay, of course. It is, however, a good way to cut out the cable-guy, filthy parasitic middlevermin that he is.

One thing going for it, if you like TV, is that you buy only that which you want. None of the bundled crap where you are paying for 24x7 Ginsu ads. I guess it's not all bad.

I still want a divorce.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    My wife just got one and I want a divorce.

Television gets on my nerves to the point I want to shoot the TV.

That said, it appears you can get anything... assuming you pay, of course. It is, however, a good way to cut out the cable-guy, filthy parasitic middlevermin that he is.

One thing going for it, if you like TV, is that you buy only that which you want. None of the bundled crap where you are paying for 24x7 Ginsu ads. I guess it's not all bad.

I still want a divorce.
    OK. So we do have to buy but only what we want. If we want AMC, we just pay for that? If we want HBO we pay only just for that? How much?

The Grand Tour! The Grand Tour! The Grand Tour! The Grand Tour! The Grand Tour!

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Lol. OK. Ok. Ok. OK. I'll give them a spin.

Lol. OK. Ok. Ok. OK. I'll give them a spin.
    It's a good show. Even better when you know the backstory. Same people who did Top Gear UK. Apparently Jeremy Clarkson said something that offended the BBC and they gave him some kind of ultimatum, like apologize or be fired. He told the BBC "Fk you" and made his own show on Amazon. It. Is. Awesomesauce.

OK. So we do have to buy but only what we want. If we want AMC, we just pay for that? If we want HBO we pay only just for that? How much?
    Hack it and install Kodi and you don't need to buy anything. If you want to walk the straight and narrow, check out SlingTV

Don't recall exactly, but you can buy individual shows, movies... shows by episode and season, IIRC. Or you can subscribe to providers like HBO. Might have been something like $11.99 or $14.99/month. Pricey for a single provider, methinks, but then again for me even free is too much, given how deeply I detest TV. But the wife is about to have a very big surgery, which is almost freaking me out, so at this point she could ask me to let a dwarf gnaw off my left leg at mid-calf and I'd feel obliged to go along, my continuing desire for a divorce notwithstanding.

I suppose the other reasonably good thing about it is not having to wade through a million channels of shyte just to find something worth watching... not that anything on TV is worth watching.

Did I mention that I don't like television?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hack it and install Kodi and you don't need to buy anything. If you want to walk the straight and narrow, check out SlingTV
    We got a fire stick (free- I used ink rewards from Staples to buy it) and I installed Kodi by myself. I just found a video that seemed pretty easy and moved my laptop in front of the tv and followed each step exactly.

It works great, btw. I got rid of Hulu but I'm keeping Netflix because Mr A watches tv upstairs sometimes and we only have a Roku up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    We got a fire stick (free- I used ink rewards from Staples to buy it) and I installed Kodi by myself. I just found a video that seemed pretty easy and moved my laptop in front of the tv and followed each step exactly.

It works great, btw. I got rid of Hulu but I'm keeping Netflix because Mr A watches tv upstairs sometimes and we only have a Roku up there.
    Install Exodus as a Kodi app for TV series.

I installed that one. It was recommended on the youtube I watched.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Looking forward to Season two.

Per the people chattering at Reddit, Exodus is no longer being maintained. Covenant is the official replacement:

I was really bummed out when the guy who ran SALTS walked away. He left a former protege in charge but the add-on was abandoned pretty quickly. That made a lot of older content easily available.
    Last edited by angelatc; 08-20-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Do you think the fire stick is better than roku?
    "The Patriarch"

I have one of those .

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you think the fire stick is better than roku?
    The Mrs has roku but out here in the sticks with the net providers so few netflix is about all that will work on it worth a crap because everything else will not load.

Anyone elses kodi acting up? Covenant keeps giving me a "No Stream Available".

Aww. I too, at the title thought it would be about a real fire stick.

TV is stupid.

can you turn the resolution down below 720 on a firestick ? I just love my chromecast.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    can you turn the resolution down below 720 on a firestick ? I just love my chromecast.
    I dunno. You can pick a stream with that resolution if you want.

I dunno. You can pick a stream with that resolution if you want.
    HughesNet goes unlimited IF you stream standard definition or less so its a concern of mine.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast