Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    The Keys will get obliterated. But if the eye crosses into the everglades I'll bet you it's not as bad as Andrew, at least as far as catastrophic damage and deaths go. The total damage for Irma will be much higher because it will cover more area, and more "stuff", and prices are more inflated.
    At this point I think we can pretty much agree that the keys are $#@!ed. If it rips up the west then you're gonna see Andrew damage. Marco Island, Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota. If it tracks that way, on latest models, you will see Andrews level or worse.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Florida-bound Hurricane Irma strengthens back into a Category 5 as it makes landfall in Cuba

Hurricane Irma is forecast to hit the Florida Keys as a Category 5 storm.
    Meteorologists expect Irma to make landfall in the Keys between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. ET on Sunday. Overnight projections of Irma's path showed less of a threat to the Carolinas as the monster storm appeared likely to move directly up the middle of Florida and curve inland.

PHOTO: Hurricane Irma forecast tracker. (ABC News)

The National Weather Service's Key West office issued a dire warning in the wake of the updated forecast.
    ***THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS***
    ***NOWHERE IN THE FLORIDA KEYS WILL BE SAFE***
    ***YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO EVACUATE***
    Please RT. #Irma pic.twitter.com/VWLMEDWoUs
    — NWS Key West (@NWSKeyWest) September 8, 2017
    "Obviously Hurricane Irma continues to be a threat that is going to devastate the United States," Brock Long, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), said at a press conference Friday morning. "We're going to have a couple rough days."
    The National Hurricane Center on Friday cautioned that Irma is "extremely dangerous," with maximum sustained winds of 155 mph, which are strong enough to uproot trees, bring down power poles and rip off the roofs and some exterior walls of well-built frame homes.

PHOTO: Hurricane Irma forecast tracker. (ABC News)

The National Hurricane Center issued its first hurricane warnings for Florida overnight, warning residents that "preparations to protect life should be rushed to completion."
    Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued for barrier islands, coastal communities, low-lying areas and mobile homes across Florida, including the counties of Brevard, Broward, Collier, Indian River, Martin, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Palm Beach and St. John. According to the Florida Division of Emergency Management, 5.6 million Floridians have been told to evacuate.

Hurricane and storm surge warnings for Florida as of early Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. (ABC NEWS)

Meteorologists predict Irma will continue to weaken as the storm moves inland Sunday into Monday. Irma will approach Jacksonville on Monday around 8 a.m. ET with winds of about 75 mph, which would make it a dangerous Category 1 hurricane. Then, Irma should weaken rapidly to a tropical storm, depression or a remnant low later Monday as it moves across state lines into Georgia, then potentially Alabama and Tennessee on Tuesday into Wednesday, meteorologists say.
    Disney World announced in a statement Friday afternoon that its theme parks and water parks -- as well as Disney Springs and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex -- would be closing early Saturday and remain closed through Monday. Disney's resort hotels will remain open.
    The worst of Irma's winds and storm surge are projected to be near Marathon and Key Largo, but meteorologists say Miami and heavily populated southeastern Florida will still be on the strongest side of the storm.

More at: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/dangerous-...opstories.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

If it goes up the Gulf Coast it will be brutal. They haven't been whacked for almost 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If it goes up the Gulf Coast it will be brutal. They haven't been whacked for almost 100 years.
    yeah but hurricanes are totally normal because climate has always changed.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    GTFO. This isn't the first time they've been hit. When I was there in the 80's the weather forecasters always ominously intoned that we were seriously overdue for The Big One.

Reading bad reports from places already hit. Looters and panic setting in, people are trapped on the islands with a bunch of sub humans.

Keys are going to get obliterated, and man, Fl must have pissed off the gods. Looks bad.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It keeps tracking west. If it continues to do so, it may well skirt the Florida mainland as it has Cuba and make landfall further up north.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    /sigh

It looks like the winds are gonna blow Georgia up into Tennessee. It'll take months to get rid of the smell.

No doubt we'll have an influx half-backs, too.

Is it wrong that I would like to see some keys resident that stayed behind to protect his home and property smash this smug reporters face in?

My kid is in Clearwater.. plans to ride it out. Her house is 54' above sea level.. I keep saying the wind doesn't care about sea level but just in case she's got bug out stuff and her cat carrier all set and is ready to come here.. about an hour north in normal traffic.

We are lower in elevation but further inland and much better prepped here
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post

???????? live take out ?????????
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    Evacuation from keys, no chicken left behind.

Just watched an old video from "Georges" some neighbors made for Hurricane relief. That was Cat 3.. (memories)

This one looks like it will be a mess..

Stay Inside. Stay safe. and make new friends rebuilding.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Evacuation from keys, no chicken left behind.
    If it was Hello Kitty paper, it would look like a sleepover.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

wonder how long the streams will stay up.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 09-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.

I'll bet this one stays up the longest

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Wilma, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Wilma#Florida_2

Major, deadly hurricanes in and around FL for centuries

https://www.winstonpersonalinjury.co...s-hit-florida/

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...treasure-ships

Naturally occurring feature of this area of the world.

STFU and GTFO.

My kid is in Clearwater.. plans to ride it out. Her house is 54' above sea level.. I keep saying the wind doesn't care about sea level but just in case she's got bug out stuff and her cat carrier all set and is ready to come here.. about an hour north in normal traffic.

We are lower in elevation but further inland and much better prepped here
    There are large portions of Clearwater not in evacuation zones. When I checked earlier, they were evacuating A and B. Plus mobile homes of course. But if I was a C, I'd be considering a road trip about now.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/florida-gun-owners-encouraged-apos-213111921.htmlA Florida man who suggested shooting guns at Hurricane Irma out of "stress and boredom" has found that his idea has captured peoples' imaginations - with over 46,000 signing up to join in.Hurricane Irma is due to hit Florida on Saturday, and the state is currently experiencing the largest ever mass evacuation due to a hurricane in American history.But Ryon Edwards, 22, came up with a novel way of amusing himself during the storm: firing bullets into it.He started a Facebook "event", and as of Friday evening 46,000 people say they are interested."A combination of stress and boredom made me start the event," he told the BBC."The response is a complete and total surprise to me."I never envisioned this event becoming some kind of crazy idea larger than myself. It has become something a little out of my control."Graphics suggesting how to shoot at a hurricane have sprung up online, with the suggestion that if you fire correctly the bullet might not come back and kill you.Since Mr Edwards came up with his "masterplan", other similar Facebook pages have been created - including one suggesting using flame throwers to scare away the storm."It's time we took a stand against this bully!" reads the event description. "This is our home, nobody drives us out of our own territory."Join me in this fight as we shoot flames at Hurricane Irma and dissipate her on the spot."
    Last edited by Danke; 09-09-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Good luck trying to get out now. Most stations from Tampa south were out of gas and diesel. Even tow companies were having trouble keeping their trucks fueled to stay operational.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'll bet this one stays up the longest
    seeing as it is a 100 miles north, on the mainland, and on the opposite side of the coast from where the storm is supposed to travel now, that's an easy bet to make.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They should have used Chick-fil-a bags.
    #NashvilleStrong

Chicken burritos, anyone?
    #NashvilleStrong

seeing as it is a 100 miles north, on the mainland, and on the opposite side of the coast from where the storm is supposed to travel now, that's an easy bet to make.
    It's actually moving around, when I posted it, it was on South Miami Beach or something.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-09-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

wonder how long the streams will stay up.
    No telling,,
    Looks like outer bands hitting the Keys.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Key West Live Webcam

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast