Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US bacon reserves hit 50 year low

Oh, it is different. It's blue instead of red:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    lol, it's with the regular bacon, but the packaging looks identical to the pork kind. You have to actually read to boxes and find the one that says "Beef" on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, it is different. It's blue instead of red:

Okay, I'm looking for the blue bacon. If I find it, I'm having bacon for dinner tomorrow. I'm excited.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I had bacon flavored cereal today.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Okay, I'm looking for the blue bacon. If I find it, I'm having bacon for dinner tomorrow. I'm excited.
    LOL!

Someone is really gonna have to try this stuff and back me up. Turkey "bacon" is an abomination. Only difference I can really tell w Beef Bacon is it's gentler on my stomach over the next several hours than the pork, and it's a bit more likely to fall apart in the frying pan. Friend of mine makes bacon on cast iron with a giant 2-prong sausage fork. She just stirs it all into chunks which I suppose makes it easier. I always tried to keep my bacon in perfect little strips. After I saw her doing that I said to hell with perfect little strips.

I switched to Jimmy Dean sausage years ago.

I like a layer of bacon in my s'mores... try it!
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

LOL!

Someone is really gonna have to try this stuff and back me up. Turkey "bacon" is an abomination. Only difference I can really tell w Beef Bacon is it's gentler on my stomach over the next several hours than the pork, and it's a bit more likely to fall apart in the frying pan. Friend of mine makes bacon on cast iron with a giant 2-prong sausage fork. She just stirs it all into chunks which I suppose makes it easier. I always tried to keep my bacon in perfect little strips. After I saw her doing that I said to hell with perfect little strips.
    That works out for me because I usually cut my bacon into chunks anyway.

Turkey "bacon" doesn't deserve to be called bacon...or turkey.

Trukey/good + bacon/divine = nasty $#@! <--- it doesn't add up

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    I like a layer of bacon in my s'mores... try it!
    I can see that being good. My kids made chocolate covered bacon once and it was awesome.

You need a time machine if you want good bacon. Everything I see in the store is at least 40% fat.
    I am the spoon.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My Walmart, Publix, Kroger, and Asian market don't carry it. I keep forgetting to stop in Ingles to look for it. They might have it, they have all kinds of weird $#@!.
    Internet?
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    You need a time machine if you want good bacon. Everything I see in the store is at least 40% fat.
    The bacon fat makes good salad dressing.

Suzanimal's Hot Bacon dressing

when you finish frying your bacon, add vinegar and a little brown sugar to the grease and then dump it on your salad. I don't measure, I just eyeball it. With those three ingredients, there's no way to mess it up. Sometimes, I don't even add the sugar or the vinegar. Bacon grease is a perfectly acceptable salad dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Internet?
    Someone might steal my mail order bacon. Then I'd have to whoop some ass. If I caught someone stealing bacon from my mailbox do you think I would get arrested if I made 'em squeal like a pig or, in this case, moo like a cow? I think the bacon defense would totally work.

This thread got me thinking about the weird stuff at Ingles and did you know they have canned bread? And it's actually pretty yummy. My brother bought me a can for Christmas once (big spender) and that's where he got it. I've since purchased it for a few other people and it's always a hit - especially with Spongebob Squarepant's fans.

That works out for me because I usually cut my bacon into chunks anyway.

Turkey "bacon" doesn't deserve to be called bacon...or turkey.

Trukey/good + bacon/divine = nasty $#@! <--- it doesn't add up
    $#@! leather would be a decent name. I'm not sure how easy it would be to market that though.

The bacon fat makes good salad dressing.

Suzanimal's Hot Bacon dressing

when you finish frying your bacon, add vinegar and a little brown sugar to the grease and then dump it on your salad. I don't measure, I just eyeball it. With those three ingredients, there's no way to mess it up. Sometimes, I don't even add the sugar or the vinegar. Bacon grease is a perfectly acceptable salad dressing.
    Sounds orgasmic.
    I am the spoon.

Someone might steal my mail order bacon. Then I'd have to whoop some ass. If I caught someone stealing bacon from my mailbox do you think I would get arrested if I made 'em squeal like a pig or, in this case, moo like a cow? I think the bacon defense would totally work.
    If you catch someone stealing your mail order bacon you can then make bacon out of "long pig"
    I am the spoon.

This thread got me thinking about the weird stuff at Ingles and did you know they have canned bread? And it's actually pretty yummy. My brother bought me a can for Christmas once (big spender) and that's where he got it. I've since purchased it for a few other people and it's always a hit - especially with Spongebob Squarepant's fans.

I used to bake bread in cans sometimes.. dark breads mostly (pumpernickel) It was hard to find an appropriate can that was not ridged somewhere
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [QUOTE=P3ter_Griffin;6416243]$#@! leather would be a decent name. I'm not sure how easy it would be to market that though.

That's probably why they chose to go with turkey bacon.

I went to Walmart and didn't get bacon. They were out but I saw the spot where it's suppose to be. The whole store looked ransacked today, they probably had it but they just need to restock. I'm going to try again later in the week.

Did some sniffing to see what was going on but came back mostly empty handed:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38836782
    Pork belly reserves had hit about 8.2 million kg in December, according to the government figures, compared with about 22.7 million kg a year earlier.

That was put down to fresh supplies being used as quickly as they were being produced, meaning less for freezing and stockpiling.
    'More pigs than ever'

The lower levels of pork reserves were pointed out by the Ohio Pork Council, a lobby group for pig farmers.

But it later claimed that the observation - as well as the setting up of a baconshortage.com website (which now seems to have been taken down) - was not intended to create concern.

"Today's pig farmers are setting historic records by producing more pigs than ever," Ohio Pork Council president Rich Deaton said.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/pub...71.pdf?v=42754
    December Quarterly Hogs and Pigs Report Shows Robust Productivity Gains in 2016
    The Quarterly Hogs and Pigs report issued by USDA on December 23 showed the highest hog inventory since 1943, and the highest recorded breeding herd productivity. The inventory of all hogs and pigs was 71.5 million head, 4 percent higher than numbers for the same period a year ago. Litter rates for the September-November pig crop were record-high, averaging 10.63 pigs per litter, compared with 10.53 in September-November 2015. This breaks the record established in the June-August quarter of 2016.

https://www.agri-pulse.com/articles/...for-feb-6-2017
    USDA: There’s no bacon shortage. The news of record low pork belly supplies in a January cold storage report sparked fears of a bacon shortage and price spikes in grocery stores. Neither is true, according to USDA livestock analyst Shayle Shagam.

While it’s true that the report showed that pork belly supplies were at their lowest level since the 1950s when USDA began keeping track, Shagam stressed that the situation was only temporary. In fact, USDA is predicting that pork production will increase this year by 5 percent for a new record high.

Wholesale pork belly prices rose in the first four weeks of the year, Shagam said in an audio posting, but he stressed that was a “short term phenomenon” and did not translate into higher bacon prices. Supplies will continue to grow and Shagam said he expects that will push retail bacon prices down.

No explanation on why this is a 'short term phenomenon' or how reserves would build back up if indeed supplies are being used as quickly as they are produced.

Source for the original chart. 10 year data does not factor in from May 2016 on.

Historical Cold Storage Data
    Last edited by P3ter_Griffin; 02-13-2017 at 11:01 PM.

My experience with bread in a can was K rations and C Rations , only the Pound cake was good , the other two not so much .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I used to bake bread in cans sometimes.. dark breads mostly (pumpernickel) It was hard to find an appropriate can that was not ridged somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    This is the kind of news we hear right before they crank up prices. Remember the great egg famine of a couple of years ago? Bacon and eggs. Hmmm.
    Ding ding ding winner! Often false narratives about scarcity to explain price inflation. Expect these sorts of stories to become more and more common. Though in the case of bacon, we can't seriously think that the largest bacon producing companies can be sold to the Chinese (Smithfield, eg) and not expect them to send much of it back to China, creating shortages here. Signs of the end of the higher standard of living that Americans are used to as the end of the FRN global standard quickens.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Live weight is under $0.70..

$#@! big pork! Buy local.

I FINALLY had beef bacon!!!

Here's how it went down. Mr Animal didn't get me anything for Valentine's Day () and said he felt bad about it (he should have, I was very generous) so on Wednesday he volunteered to run to the store for me and he brought home some beef bacon. I fried it up right away. I didn't tell the kids it was made from beef but I did tell them I was trying a different brand.

Here are our reviews:
    Mr Animal said there was no difference.
    I thought it was saltier than normal bacon and texturally, it reminded me more of fried ham than bacon.
    My number one son gobbled his up and said he would need more before he could give me an honest assessment.
    My number two son thought it was very different and didn't like it.

I haven't seen the beef bacon around here (Charlotte) anywhere. What was the cost difference compared to same weight of pork bacon?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I haven't seen the beef bacon around here (Charlotte) anywhere. What was the cost difference compared to same weight of pork bacon?
    It was more expensive. I think Mr Animal said he paid 5.99 for 12 oz of beef bacon but he bought it at the expensive grocery store. Pork bacon is around 2.99 a pound around here. It's not worth the extra expense for us. It takes at least 2 lbs of bacon to feed my crew - 2 teenage sons and Mr Animal.

One day , after I get all of the silver and gold I will start on pork bellies . Then I can deny California bacon until CalExit is complete.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    January 31st 2017 print is 14,014. Down from 17,986 on December 31st 2016 and 60,698 for January 31st 2016. I could see the growth in hog factory farming playing a role in this, they could have a more steady harvest throughout the year compared to dealing with seasons like traditional farming. Just speculation though...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12