Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coup d'Etat in Turkey Breaking?

Military Coup Under Weigh In Turkey?

Just heard there is a military coup in progress in Turkey - army trying to oust Erdogan. Saying no internet/facebook there at this time. Wondering if Erdogan or army responsible for that. Meh for the former, not so meh for the latter.

Anyone have details? Got this from friend. Could be very bad juju... or good, given how far off the plantation that idiot Erdogan has wandered.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Martin Chulov@martinchulov 5m5 minutes ago
    HQ of Turkish intel is on fire. Mil helicopters earlier rocketed state TV building & other unknown targets #TurkeyCoup

Edit: Pic:

Last edited by TNforPaul45; 07-15-2016 at 04:25 PM.
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Under 'weigh'?

Take my word for it--it's heavy, man.

You'd have heard it here first, if you had been tapping 'new posts'. goldenequity is way ahead of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Yes, and the country is under Marshall Law until further notice. There is another thread under world events.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Because of the possibility of a Trump Presidency, the U.S. State Dept. has decided to act against Assad before the election.
    lolol

Um, you do realize you're talking about the same Trump who has already promised that the neocons can lead him by the nose into any country in the world, just by telling him ISIS is there. Right?

So, tell us, have you figured out how the sun came up in the morning back before Trump was around to cause it to happen? Or are you people now denying that the sun existed before Trump was born? Just because you think the reason it's orange is because it shines out his ass don't make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    lolol

Um, you do realize you're talking about the same Trump who has already promised that the neocons can lead him by the nose into any country in the world, just by telling him ISIS is there. Right?

So, tell us, have you figured out how the sun came up in the morning back before Trump was around to cause it to happen? Or are you people now denying that the sun existed before Trump was born? Just because you think the reason it's orange is because it shines out his ass don't make it so.
    Trump has repeatedly spoken out against another war in the Middle East,...specifically with Syria.

But this thread isn't about Trump.

Trump has repeatedly spoken out against another war in the Middle East,...specifically with Syria.

But this thread isn't about Trump.
    Generally in the same breath with his promise to steal all the oil in the region. And again, we've all heard him promise to send the military wherever ISIS is purported to be.

But hey. I'm not supposed to take up space debunking your bunk because your bunk is a threadjack. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by TNforPaul45 View Post
    [FONT="]Richard Engel@RichardEngel 4m4 minutes ago[/FONT]
    turkey. US officials caught off guard by coup. "snap meeting held" in at WH

LOL duh. But nah bruh Kerry is on top of things.

I doubt that. I think the CIA, the US military and the Russian at the least knew this was coming, more likely started it.

Kerry is conveniently with the Russians as this coup starts? Sure.

I'm not in the mood to have a pissin' match with someone suffering from Trump derangement syndrome today. Pick somebody else.

Note sure about this one:

Eríck@Nerudaa_ 2m2 minutes ago
    I'm in #Turkey and have just witnessed 2 police helicopters get shot down by army soldiers. Please send help.
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not in the mood to have a pissin' match with someone suffering from Trump derangement syndrome today.
    Good. Especially since all you need for that is a mirror.

But, of course you'll keep trying to 'jack the thread until I let you have the last word, so go ahead...

Sinan Bolel@sinbols 58s58 seconds ago
    Armed fighting, many injured in #Turkey
    --Thomas Jefferson

Under 'weigh'?
    Yes. In olden days, a ship weighed anchor and went hither thither "under weigh". That became "under way", which is not strictly correct, AFAIK.

ETA: from http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-und2.htm

Under weigh

Question:

Q From Paul Bondin: An office colleague of mine insisted on writing “a project got under weigh” rather than “a project got under way”, whenever he described the start of some task. His explanation was that the expression had a maritime beginning, along the lines of weighing anchor to get a ship moving. I rather fancied the idea at the time, but I suspect that his story is pure fiction. The next time I use the expression, should I use weigh or way?

Answer:

A According to the best current style manuals, definitely way. But your colleague has the ghostly support of generations of writers. In fact, at one time, under weigh could be regarded as the standard spelling.

What happened was that the Dutch, who were European masters of the sea in the seventeenth century, gave us — among many other nautical expressions — the term onderweg, meaning “on the way”. This became naturalised as under way and is first recorded in English around 1740, specifically as a maritime term (its broader meanings didn’t appear until the following century). Some over-clever individuals connected with the sea almost immediately linked it erroneously with the phrase to weigh anchor. Weigh here is the same word as the one for finding out how heavy an object is. Both it and the anchor sense go back to the Old English verb, which could mean “raise up”. The link between the senses is the act of raising an object on scales.

It’s easy to find a myriad of examples of under weigh from the best English authors in the following two centuries, such as William Makepeace Thackeray, Captain Marryat, Washington Irving, Thomas Carlyle, Herman Melville, Lord Byron, and Charles Dickens (“There were the bad odours of the town, and the rain and the refuse in the kennels, and the faint lamps slung across the road, and the huge Diligence, and its mountain of luggage, and its six grey horses with their tails tied up, getting under weigh at the coach office.” — Little Dorrit).

It was still common as recently as the 1930s (“He felt her gaze upon him, all the same, as he stood with his back to her attending to the business of getting under weigh.” — The Happy Return by C S Forester, 1937) but weighhas dropped off almost to nothing now. This paralleled another change, starting around the same time, in which the two words began to be combined into a single adverb, underway (though many style manuals still recommend it be written as two words). It may be that the influence of other words ending in -way, especially anyway, encouraged the shift in spelling back to the original and in the process killed off a persistent misunderstanding.

This is clearly a divergent opinion... may be correct, or not. I'm not that invested in it to care one way or another. Choose the poison that suits you.

However, the likes of Byron, Melville, and Thackeray seem to lend some credibility to "under weigh"

Last edited by osan; 07-15-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

The Associated Press@AP 2m2 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Report: Soldiers fire on people trying to cross Istanbul's Bosporus bridge in protest of the attempted coup, some have been hurt.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Yes. In olden days, a ship weighed anchor and went hither thither "under weigh". That became "under way", which is not strictly correct, AFAIK.
    Suit yourself. But until you show me a vintage text with the phrase spelled that way, I'm with these people:

https://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/underweigh.html

Beats talking about going to Manhattan and walking down Broad Weigh. At least in my book.

Erdogan was getting friendly with Putin.

Because of the possibility of a Trump Presidency, the U.S. State Dept. has decided to act against Assad before the election.

A coup was sponsored against Erdogan to prevent Turkey's relationship with Russia from being a hindrance in the effort against Syria.

Kerry goes to Moscow to inform Putin that it's going to happen and to warn him against getting involved.

The take away from it all, as mentioned, war with Syria is very imminent.
    Thanks for breaking it down.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Army arresting people violating curfew.

Numerous tanks and military vehicles heading towards State TV/Radio HQ

--Thomas Jefferson

Good. Especially since all you need for that is a mirror.

But, of course you'll keep trying to 'jack the thread until I let you have the last word, so go ahead...
    You know, you can agree with the other 95% of his post without agreeing with the Trump part.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This thread just made me very sad... twice.

Under weigh?
    Marshall law? Who the hell is Marshall?
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

LIVE: Sky News on Coup

LIVE STREAM

CNN LIVE

RT LIVE coverage

Last edited by goldenequity; 07-15-2016 at 05:42 PM.

CFR $#@! on Sky News Laughing and Jiggling over the whole manner. "heh Heh it looks choreographed, I don't know"
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    This thread just made me very sad... twice.

Under weigh?
    Marshall law? Who the hell is Marshall?
    What? Matt Dillon didn't move to Egypt?

Then where the hell has he been the last 125 years?

#BREAKING Turkish F-16s shoot down helicopter carrying 'coup plotters': NTV television
    --Thomas Jefferson

Obama is clueless to this. This does not make his pet Islamic gang happy and should make Syria stronger.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Erdogan was getting friendly with Putin.

A coup was sponsored against Erdogan to prevent Turkey's relationship with Russia from being a hindrance in the effort against Syria.

Kerry goes to Moscow to inform Putin that it's going to happen and to warn him against getting involved.

The take away from it all, as mentioned, war with Syria is very imminent.
    I love how you already know the motivations behind the coup. I mean, it can't possibly be about conflict between Islamists and moderates (a common theme in Turkey), no, it's about Trump!
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You know, you can agree with the other 95% of his post without agreeing with the Trump part.
    His narrative is 100% dependent on the theory that Trump is the axis upon which the world spins. Why did you thank him for breaking it down if you didn't pay any attention to that breakdown?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    His narrative is 100% dependent on the theory that Trump is the axis upon which the world spins. Why did you thank him for breaking it down if you didn't pay any attention to that breakdown?
    No, his narrative is dependent on us wanting to attack Syria - the Trump part is just speculation about the timing, it's not necessary for the rest of the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    I love how you already know the motivations behind the coup. I mean, it can't possibly be about conflict between Islamists and moderates (a common theme in Turkey), no, it's about Trump!
    No, it's about us attacking Syria.

It makes me wonder if Erdogan order the air-force to shoot down the Russian jet doing bombing runs on ISIS, or if the air-force ordered it. I'm still not sold who is on who's side though.... Maybe Erdogan only started trying to get friendly with Putin after he found out his military already was making friends with him.

I bet this was supported by Russia. Putin was the only one involved. Probably had Kerry over to watch the whole thing go down and tell him to stay out of it. Ergoden.....sucks ass
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic