Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert 1/31/18

[Video] Rand Paul on Late Show with Stephen Colbert 1/31/18

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LjWraA9SE

--

Wednesday, Jan. 31: actress Rose McGowan; Senator Rand Paul; stand-up comedy performance by Jacob Williams; Curtis Harding sitting in with Jon Batiste and Stay Human
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-sh...union-address/
    Last edited by jct74; 02-01-2018 at 12:53 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why bother I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Why bother I wonder?
    Because Rand has no problem reaching across the aisle for support and Colbert has been very respectful to him in interviews past. Personally I can't stand Colbert, but he does give a fair shake in his interviews.

RAND PAUL
    for a CLEAR VISION
    AT
    A PRICE YOU CAN AFFORD

Tm 1.30.18
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Because Rand has no problem reaching across the aisle for support and Colbert has been very respectful to him in interviews past. Personally I can't stand Colbert, but he does give a fair shake in his interviews.
    Admittedly Paul is a much better politician than I ever will be, and his instincts have landed him in the Senate so I am not trying to dismiss his decision.

What base is Paul reaching out to though? Liberals are not ever going to be fiscal conservatives and foreign policy doesn't seem like it's a hot issue right now. Guess we'll have to watch and see.

Admittedly Paul is a much better politician than I ever will be, and his instincts have landed him in the Senate so I am not trying to dismiss his decision.

What base is Paul reaching out to though? Liberals are not ever going to be fiscal conservatives and foreign policy doesn't seem like it's a hot issue right now. Guess we'll have to watch and see.
    My guess is drug laws and prison reform, intelligence spying, and stop arming terrorists, etc.

Every little bit helps when trying to get a message out for people to wake up.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Why bother I wonder?
    I often ask the same question. Rand likes to go on MSNBC too. It seems like the more he reaches out to the left, the more they despise him. They might be somewhat polite when they talk to him, but they rip him apart later.

It's almost amazing the hatred he gets from the left. They will blame anything and everything on him, even things he explicitly opposes. They hate honesty. They hate anyone who might oppose their big government, mommy-state. Telling them that you are OK with them smoking pot does not win any points, except maybe with beltway and left libertarians, who also turn on you every chance they get.

Principled opposition to violation of civil rights might gain him some small amount of respect, but then they will also despise him at the same time for being principled, as so much of their agenda depends upon being unprincipled and deceptive.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    My guess is drug laws and prison reform, intelligence spying, and stop arming terrorists, etc.
    Maybe he will try to push his "prevent government shutdown" proposal.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Perhaps its not political, but rather his Doctors instinct. Sometimes you have to tell people what they don't want to hear, even if they don't want to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Perhaps its not political, but rather his Doctors instinct. Sometimes you have to tell people what they don't want to hear, even if they don't want to hear it.
    Granted, it may go a little way to put some new ideas into the leftist MSM echo chamber. But echo chambers don't like to hear anything from the outside.

THat's not how to win elections.

Ya Trump took over that job he's better at it.. Rand is telling people what they need to hear now, and hopefully in the future he will be able to win elections.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Which is why I prefaced my comment with, "perhaps its not political"

Does Colbert's audience skew older than the other late night talk shows? My mother-in-law is just nuts about Colbert.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Is he still #1 in late night?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Does Colbert's audience skew older than the other late night talk shows? My mother-in-law is just nuts about Colbert.
    Does she like Elvis Costello?
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Does she like Elvis Costello?
    Not bad . There is worse .

I would go on Colbert and make fun of liberals and get just as many of them to vote for me as a fiscal conservative would to go on there and be polite . This is why Rand is elected to represent the people of Kentucky and I represent Old Grand Dad 100 Proof .

Ya Trump took over that job he's better at it.. Rand is telling people what they need to hear now, and hopefully in the future he will be able to win elections.
    Trump has a unique set of skills. There's no doubt he knows how to win but I'm not convinced that other candidates should seek to imitate his overall style.

When my kids would chatter that Einstein didn't finish school, implying therefore they didn't need to. I aways retorted, "You're not Einstein." Same type thing here.

What does Rand have to do with Einstein?

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    What does Rand have to do with Einstein?
    You mean Trump?

loveshiscountry

Colbert said he liked Ron Paul. I think it will be a fair interview.

Why bother I wonder?
    We have to see how it plays out.

I hope he is not going to blow any chance of having influence on Trump for a few cheap laughs tonight. That would gain him nothing.

The Republican base and the moderates are with Trump. Rand currying favor with the far left will sink him in the future. It would be a tactical mistake.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    We have to see how it plays out.

I hope he is not going to blow any chance of having influence on Trump for a few cheap laughs tonight. That would gain him nothing.

The Republican base and the moderates are with Trump. Rand currying favor with the far left will sink him in the future. It would be a tactical mistake.
    I wouldn't worry about that. Ever since trump became the nominee and president, Randal has always gone out of his way to avoid overt criticisms, leading conversations to where they agree and phrasing trumps positions into a positive direction. he esp. Isn't going to do it when one of the policy positions trump promoted last night was almost word for word from one of randals bills/amendments (re: Foreign aid)

I wouldn't worry about that. Ever since trump became the nominee and president, Randal has always gone out of his way to avoid overt criticisms, leading conversations to where they agree and phrasing trumps positions into a positive direction. he esp. Isn't going to do it when one of the policy positions trump promoted last night was almost word for word from one of randals bills/amendments.
    It has gotten to a point where I cannot even stand to hear his name or see his face. I do not know anyone that is not far left that likes that jackass at this point. His name is synonymous with mocking the far left and bad behavior of millennials.

Simply appearing regardless with what will be said hopefully will not impact his support. I usually watch all of Rand's interviews but will pass on this one and will have to take this thread's word for it on how it goes. I just cannot bring myself to watch that $#@!.

I expect the questions will range from hairstyles to yard work.

Eta - and golf.
    Last edited by georgiaboy; 01-31-2018 at 04:08 PM.

No more comedy shows anymore. Every day this crap.

Drumpf, Trump!, Trump!, Trump!, Trump!

No escape from it and Kimmel is no better with his all Trump all the time crying show.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Drumpf, Trump!, Trump!, Trump!, Trump!

No escape from it and Kimmel is no better with his all Trump all the time crying show.
    You forgot about John Oliver...

Really $#@!in sucks, there used to be some good late night tv and even if you disagreed it was still funny.. Now it's all anti-Trump BS which gets really old.

You forgot about John Oliver...

Really $#@!in sucks, there used to be some good late night tv and even if you disagreed it was still funny.. Now it's all anti-Trump BS which gets really old.
    Exactly. John Oliver I expect it since it is a Progressive political show and at least his commentary has some substance at the start before he goes completely off the rails.

If he just dialed it back to sticking with facts in attacking Trump from his Progressive view rather than hitting below the belt I would have more respect for him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast