Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC Considers Allowing 16-Year-Olds to Vote

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    So what's the too-fat cut-off? 15%? We'll have two different numbers, one for men and one for women, of course.
    Normally I would make women's % lower, but a woman with 15% body fat is usually pretty fit, I don't think they tend to go too much lower than that.

Women should be in the 15-25% range, men should be in the 10-20% range imo (there ought to be a law!). Women seem to be able to get away with an extra 10% body fat than men while looking to be about the same fitness level.

Last edited by dannno; 04-18-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    There are other demographic groups as well who should be early on the chopping block, but I'll let you figure out for yourself which those might be.
    I agree, although I'd rather have some sort of system that only allows taxpayers to vote and not welfare recipients.
    Well that's a demographic group, now isn't it?

Who wants to go next? What's another demographic the voting booth could do without?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    Well that's a demographic group, now isn't it?

Who wants to go next? What's another demographic the voting booth could do without?
    The thing I like about the taxpayer voting system is that's there's no conflict of interest. If the voters want to increase the size of government, they have to increase their OWN taxes. If you use any other demographic system you have the potential for one group to vote to steal from another. Potentially the over 30s could vote to steal from everyone under 30.

But I totally agree there's no "right to vote. It's just a means to an end which is good government.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    legislation that would lower the age to vote in federal and local elections to 16
    Allowing everybody to vote is a bad idea?

Huh, ...

Now, whoever could have predicted that this would become a problem (...I mean, except every literate person who ever lived prior to ~1789 AD)?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

Allowing everybody to vote is a bad idea?

Huh, ...

Now, whoever could have predicted that this would become a problem (...I mean, except every literate person who ever lived prior to ~1789 AD)?

If one extreme end of a spectrum is bad then it is likely that the other extreme is as well.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    If one extreme end of a spectrum is bad then it is likely that the other extreme is as well.
    That's questionable reasoning, but, if we're to take that route, the median is a monarchy with a parliament of some sort (not popularly elected).

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Normally I would make women's % lower, but a woman with 15% body fat is usually pretty fit, I don't think they tend to go too much lower than that.

Women should be in the 15-25% range, men should be in the 10-20% range imo (there ought to be a law!). Women seem to be able to get away with an extra 10% body fat than men while looking to be about the same fitness level.

lean=/=fit. Pretty important distinction, IMHO. Even slightly above average people can get some decent striation with weight cutting and such. Doesn't mean they'll have good conditioning WRT strength, cardio, etc., which is the focus of most of the "fitness" world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    lean=/=fit. Pretty important distinction, IMHO. Even slightly above average people can get some decent striation with weight cutting and such. Doesn't mean they'll have good conditioning WRT strength, cardio, etc., which is the focus of most of the "fitness" world.
    But if you've got tons of fat crowding and cramping your organs, that can't be good, eh? No matter how many "strations" or how good you may look on the surface. Plus you're having to lug it around everywhere, plus it's probably where your body has stashed all kinds of toxins you've taken in over the years.

Inability to avoid becoming obese shows bad character, bad judgment, and total lack of self control. Lack of ability to take any, even the tiniest, amount of inconvenience right now in order to reap benefits years down the road, no matter how huge those benefits might be. Do we want slobs like that making decisions for how to run a good society? When they can't even figure out how to run a good individual, even at the basic, rudimentary physical level?

No thank you. No thank you for me, I say. Ban these losers. They can't vote. They can't control themselves: they don't get to control the country. I will be generous, however. Based on Dannno's recommendations, I will set it at no more than 25% body fat for men and no more than 30% for women. That lets in people even who are 5% off-track into the fatso zone, which we probably shouldn't, but we are merciful.

We shall set up full body flotation tanks in front of every polling place for accurate vetting. "Yo' blubba' float? No getta vote."

And actually, is there any advantage to allowing such people to remain in one's country? Buehler?

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    So 16 is mature enough to be able to select the system of overlords, but still too immature and stupid to be able to drink a beer, carry a handgun, buy any firearm, get a tattoo, buy tobacco, enter a enforceable contract, make their own legal decisions, get married without parental consent, get a driver's license without parental consent, serve alcohol, get a liquor license, watch a rated R, NC-17 or X movie, work in a variety of hazardous occupations, work certain nighttime hours, .....
    That's exactly my point.
    There is no spoon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12