Thread: Millennials Only Have a 5 To 6 Second Attention Span For Ads

Millennials Only Have a 5 To 6 Second Attention Span For Ads

https://slashdot.org/story/17/07/22/...n-span-for-ads

If you're an advertiser who wants to market a product to millennials, you're going to have to make it quick. A new study by comScore revealed online ads targeted toward millennials have to be around 5 to 6 seconds to be effective, a sharp contrast from the traditional 30-second commercial seen on TV. "The length of time of an episode or a viewing period is really important and has got to be short, otherwise you just won't keep the attention of millennials," comScore CEO Gian Fulgoni told CNBC's "Squawk Alley." The format of advertising may have to be radically changed to reach millennials, he suggested. "You're going to have to make your case literally in a matter of seconds and make sure you grab somebody's attention, Fulgoni said.
    Knock it down another 2 or 3 seconds and Goldfish will have better attention spans than Millennials, just not quite the disposable income until Goldfish are declared to have human rights by the Fish Nazis.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The latest demographic I have read about is Generation Z, the generation that follows millenials. Their attention spans are, apparently, even lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

They were born into a low-fat diet generation.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    They were born into a low-fat diet generation.
    tl;dr

(tl;dr - Too Long; Didnt Read)
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

I'm a boomer and I have a split second tolerance for adds...

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    tl;dr

(tl;dr - Too Long; Didnt Read)
    Huh?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    That means you are astute and can critically think for yourself.

Millennials skip YouTube ads... and that's ok - http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...hats-ok-2017-1

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The tolerance is too damn high!
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Huh?
    Still tl;dr.

---

Usually thats what many millenials say when it comes to news articles or posts or stories that are actually quite long, exceeding their attention span. You know, some of my average posts where Im not just quoting a story! But saying tl;dr to "Huh?", that is definitely a Generation Z thing!

---

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Millennials skip YouTube ads... and that's ok - http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...hats-ok-2017-1
    Quick way to actually skip Youtube ads is to hit the F5 key when one of the video ads pops up. I have zero tolerance for ads and wont even wait 5 seconds to click "skip ad" after it becomes available. The new standard video ad only lets you skip after 5 seconds, but hitting the F5 key allows you to IMMEDIATELY skip those ads. Sometimes it does require that the page be reloaded more than once.

Trouble with ads is two-fold. First, we are well beyond Advertising Saturation and have entered into the realm of Advertising Pollution. The reason that is critically important is that our Attention Spans are truly a limited finite resource. Some distractions are tolerable, and even appreciated at times, but when it comes to tasks that require a great deal of focus, we literally are so distracted that we do not have the attention span to expend on doing those tasks properly. If you were to try to write a software program where a pop up ad for anything came up on your screen every 30 seconds, it doesnt matter how much code you could actually write or your ability to craft your code, you would literally NEVER be able to finish your project. Advertising to the degree to which we are at today is destructive to the human psyche, and without some form of Ad Blocking, it will only get worse.

Personally, I aggressively attack Advertisements, both for sake of Privacy, which Advertisers have ZERO $#@!ing respect for, as well as to maintain my own attention span. There are a lot of valid reasons for Blocking Ads, such as Security of ones system. A lot of viruses and malware are distributed by compromised ad networks. I think the real trouble comes from those who profit and survive on ad revenue have compromised morals, where they do NOT care if your system gets infected by ads shown on their site or channel, or your privacy, as so long as they get their precious money.

Ad Blocking Hosts File
    winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Ad Guard DNS
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

I run my own DNS Server so I can configure it, and my Hosts File at will. I actually prefer the DNS method as there are a few things DNS can do that a Hosts File cant. And if its a real problem, I block the IP Address entirely in a Firewall. The above links I posted are actually much more useful than Add Ons or Extensions like Ad Block because they are System Wide. Thus, its not just Firefox that will block ads, but also on Phones, other Apps, Games, EVERYTHING.

... editing for those with limited attention spans and time:

F5 - Skip YouTube Ads
    Last edited by DamianTV; 07-25-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    1776 > 1984

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    the F5 key works

I'm a boomer and my attention span for ads is less than that. As soon as one starts loading or talking, I close the page.

That attention span is pretty common across all living generations. (and the last few dead ones) That's why advertisers have for decades been honing the art of getting the audience's attention quick and making the point in as few seconds as possible. When I took commercial arts classes c. 2001ish I thoroughly disliked writing jingles because they had to be SO SHORT (5-15 seconds) and I prefer writing epic length music...but that's the craft of advertising-convey a complete message in a short, simple, effective way.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 07-22-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Still tl;dr!
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Xer and that's about my attention span for anything.

I think the yoots have a shorter attention span for ads because they're not used to watching them. Back in my day, I had to watch the ads because I was the foil wrapped antenna holder. I couldn't move or we lost the picture. My kids only ever had tv when my parents lived here and they were already at the age where they had developed other interests outside of tv. When they did watch an occasional show, they had zero patience for the ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    I don't watch tv.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.