Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is EDM (Electronic Dance Music) in a bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by rockandrollsouls View Post
    And in response to the previous poster @Machiavelli, it was "gay" and "$#@!" in 1999.
    +1

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yea, I'm older but I listen to many types of music, partly because I was a music instructor on the side. Not a Skrillex fan, but I don't mind Zed and some others.

One example I'd point to of electronic music elements meshed with traditional music would be a lot of the songs on any of the "hotel costes" mix cds. Generally a good prediction of what the "hipster" crowd will latch onto next, you can hear a lot of traditional and electronic elements meshed together.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Can you imagine going to a Muse concert with a dubstep DJ mixing live with their set??

http://soundcloud.com/love-and-light...f-cedonia-love

I love how dubstep can cross pretty much any genre of music with itself, including stuff that is decades old.

I think I could imagine some pretty cool Beatles dubstep.
    Beware of these Obama supporters: ProBlue33, newbitech, libertarian4321, Kade, Electronicmajji, SeanEdwards,

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Flux Pavilion - Hold Me Close

Flux Pavilion - I Can't Stop

Flux Pavilion - Cracks

Pendulum - The Island pt 2 (Dusk)

90s rave scene
    I went to some raves in the 90's but usually didn't follow the artists I saw at them much, but talk of 90's eloctronic music got me to thinkin... My playlist now has The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Praga Kahn, and Lords of Acid in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Not to mention, Noel Sanger is an absolute nobody with no recognition, no respect, and spends more time "remixing" tracks from other artists than he does making his own.
    Beware of these Obama supporters: ProBlue33, newbitech, libertarian4321, Kade, Electronicmajji, SeanEdwards,

There is still good EDM being produced today, it just has become a lot more mainstream that's all I am trying to say.

Trance and deep house music(funk, jazzier, more instrumentation) is hard to find nowadays I feel like. Mark farina comes to mind, he is still current

heres a good article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...134707610.html
    Last edited by Machiavelli; 07-03-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Anyone like them Flux Pavilion songs I posted (post #33)? Or am I all alone?

All the good $#@! is still underground, checkout Joy Orbison.

if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Quote Originally Posted by rockandrollsouls View Post
    This.

And in response to the previous poster @Machiavelli, it was "gay" and "$#@!" in 1999. Not only was the song structure not there, in addition to the inability to properly mix the electronic music, the digital instruments were entirely lacking and terrible sounding.
    Jeez you are so wrong. It doesn't matter if the drums sound "fake", they're not supposed to. What matters is if the music produces feelings in the listener, and they certainly did. It was deep experience. Popular EDM today is incredibly shallow in comparison.

For an example of primitive tools making emotional music, check out this tune from 1985!

if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Lower life forms will understand this stuff, some day

Note: This song cannot be truly experienced without an extremely high quality audio system with a lot of bass and dozens or hundreds of other individuals, however, if you can use your imagination, you MIGHT get it

Porter dropped this track on a 100k watt sound system in the main area EDC day 3
    Capitalists can exploit you only with your permission: by trading with you, selling to you, asking you to sell out.

Government exploits you at the point of a gun.

As long as you limit the power of the latter, the former can only exploit by providing better products, services and options. if they collude, then all bets are off. But that is a problem with government--in that case fascism--not capitalism.

-dew

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulwillWin View Post
    Porter dropped this track on a 100k watt sound system in the main area EDC day 3
    I saw Excision with a 100k watt sound system INDOORS

I'm still super jealous tho.. I need to get out to another good show, or preferably set of shows.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Wow, I completely disagree with both you and newbitech about the late 90s rave scene vs. modern electronic music. Think about how far the technology has come and how much more available that technology is to the general population. Electronic music is far superior, IN GENERAL, today as it was back then. There are all kinds of dubstep, dubstep originated in the UK. Skrillex is just one form of dubstep that some people don't even agree is dubstep. There's also EVERYTHING in between.

Have you listened to the songs I've posted in this thread?

Look, I was in high school in 1999 and the rave culture was very big where I was. I listened to a lot of house/trance/industrial and to be honest the technology wasn't as good and the learning curve was much higher for anybody who wanted to do anything really amazing.

Electronic music is much better today, but that's not to say that there weren't plenty of gems back then. But to say it hasn't evolved in a positive direction is kinda ridiculous considering it has evolved in nearly every direction you can imagine.
    In the 90's we had ATM because the music was labeled as "druggie" music. Today ATM stands for "About the Money". It's no longer about the music IMO. It's just not fresh anymore because it is so commercialized. I can't think of one modern unifying track that is out today. Granted, I never followed the scene out in to the mainstream.

In the 90's we had anthems that weren't created to be anthems. They became anthems because the tracks were just so good. Today, "creating anthems" has become a genre all in itself.

Still, none of the music created to day will have the epic appeal of something like 2 Bad Mice - Bombscare. To name one. I think this one track is the Jesus Christ of techno music. Tell me, what one track will you put up today that in 20 years will be completely recognizable and get people up like nothing else? I guarantee you throw in bombscare remix with todays tracks on a high energy dance floor and you will see the energy level of that club jump a notch.

Btw, for old school fans, how many of you knew that Bombscare was ripped from this track produced a full 2 years before 2 Bad Mice?

And here is Carl Cox rip of that.

And someone asked about why old schoolers weren't still in.. uh they are..

and as far as beautiful music, you need to explore the old school trance genre. Case in point.

And yeah, orbital is still performing. http://www.orbitalofficial.com/news.asp

and my personal favorite, still performing and still just as fresh.

And is techno bass still around?

Beautiful song.

and another anthem before anthems were anthems.

this another one if you throw out on a dance floor in 2012 will make people blush heh and yeah Josh Wink is still around.

and another one that will pull them out of the chill out room (do clubs still have those? lol) guaranteed.

Last edited by newbitech; 07-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.

I saw Excision with a 100k watt sound system INDOORS

I'm still super jealous tho.. I need to get out to another good show, or preferably set of shows.
    funktion one sound system ftw!
    Capitalists can exploit you only with your permission: by trading with you, selling to you, asking you to sell out.

As long as you limit the power of the latter, the former can only exploit by providing better products, services and options. if they collude, then all bets are off. But that is a problem with government--in that case fascism--not capitalism.

-dew

Techno is making a comeback, and Trump is president. All is good with the world....for now.

-dew

Bach is music.
    EDM aint music....it is the de-evolution of music into something called youtube poop of sound

What about this classic..

Modern stuff..

Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 02-05-2017 at 02:37 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Techno isn't that new EDM garbage, and I played violin for 13 years btw. Now I channel that through DJ'ing house and techno. To each his own.

I still play, but i'm not flight of the bumble bee status anymore if you know what I mean.

-dew

[QUOTE=luctor-et-emergo;6411865]What about this classic..

Reminds me of this classic

-dew

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post

Bach is music.
    EDM aint music....it is the de-evolution of music into something called youtube poop of sound
    Hah, no edm is way more complex... sorry that $#@! is kinda boring. Great for it's time and place, though.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post
    DJ Noel Sanger makes the comparison of EDM to the Housing bubble. Comment begins ~43min30sec mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyoEqbmWxxA#t=43m30s
    Curious as to why anyone would care. Musical fashion changes constantly.

In the 80s, we at the station at CCNY made endless fun of hiphop, and rightly so; yet look at what it became - the very deification of every stupidity and simplistic notion humanity has ever held. Just goes to show that one cannot necessarily know where a given trend is going to lead, though betting on a downward movement at even odds stands to make one lots of cash.

I would also point out that most of these classifications are just stupid. Nearly all of them are devoid of any clear definition, so what is the point of having them, other than trying to cut out some niche identity for oneself? The human race gets more retardeder by the minute.

Even my revered "house" music is not very clearly defined.

The mindless and wanton stupidity of hiphop and its attendant world view inspires me in this way:

Yeah... that's the ticket, alright.

Just look at some of the list under "EDM" alone (http://www.musicgenreslist.com):

• Dance (EDM – Electronic Dance Music – see Electronic below – with thx to Eric Shaffer-Whiting & Drew :-))
      • Club / Club Dance (thx Luke Allfree)
      • Breakcore
      • Breakbeat / Breakstep
      • Brostep (cheers Tom Berckley)
      • Chillstep (thx Matt)
      • Deep House (cheers Venus Pang)
      • Dubstep
      • Electro House (thx Luke Allfree)
      • Electroswing
      • Exercise
      • Future Garage (thx Ran’dom Haug)
      • Garage
      • Glitch Hop (cheers Tom Berckley)
      • Glitch Pop (thx Ran’dom Haug)
      • Grime (thx Ran’dom Haug / Matthew H)
      • Hardcore
      • Hard Dance
      • Hi-NRG / Eurodance
      • Horrorcore (thx Matt)
      • House
      • Jackin House (with thx to Jermaine Benjamin Dale Bruce)
      • Jungle / Drum’n’bass
      • Liquid Dub(thx Ran’dom Haug)
      • Regstep (thanks to ‘Melia G)
      • Speedcore (cheers Matt)
      • Techno
      • Trance
      • Trap (thx Luke Allfree)

Claims to be complete - where's "Indie"? "Indie" was originally a contraction of "Industrial". Somehow it mutated to something like "Independent". I can't keep up with it all. People are nuttier than squirrel poo these days.

All the nuttiness aside, any nominally competent return to swing music works for me. To wit, one of the better examples:

Then there's this...

Compare with the real thing:

freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Hah, no edm is way more complex...
    How so?

Pop music is simple stuff. Why? Because it is played by untrained musicians for the most part. 3 or 4 chords, in popular blues-based progressions.... There is only about 10 different chord progressions that you hear in pop music. That's so people that don't read music can easily play along.

I certainly have not listened to much EDM (never was much of a raver lol), but what I have heard of it is the same old pop music chord progressions dressed up with a lot of thumping rhythm and a whole bunch of synthesized electronics.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Been a bass head for decades, mostly jungle, drum&bass, neurofunk, dirty dutch, dark house, and psytrance.

subwoofer is my friend

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulwillWin View Post

I attended electronic daisy carnival in Vegas a few weeks ago, awesome party. T
    I did the Orlando EDC this year, and it was an entire stadium full of girls in thongs
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by newbitech View Post
    Love to see a resurgence of the mid to late 90's (Florida Breaks FTW!)scene. Never got in to the dubstep stuff, to cranky for me I think. I love me some breaks, trance, and house from the early/mid 90's.
    Having grown up in Orlando, I lived it. Baby Anne just did a farewell tour, and Icey is still around every once in a while. Everyone else isn't doing much sadly. I went to a reunion show 2013 Thanksgiving eve in Orlando, that was a ton of fun, but a very different vibe than back in the day. Older people kind of standing around watching, that sort of thing.

A few months ago I was hanging out with Jimmy Joslin at one of his shows in Orlando and we talked about this for quite a bit. He still does all the breaks and if you're around when he is spinning, he'll definitely play the classics.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

late 90s rave scene
    I think it is coming back around, at least in some parts of the world? lol

I love EDM, but no it doesn't get as much respect as I think it should.

Part of the reason is that the rest of the world listens to it and Americans grew up on rock and roll. It is mainstream everywhere but the US.

There is some really good stuff out there, and then there is some garbage.

One of the best places I have gone to find what I like is www.di.fm a free streaming service that is every electronica genre imaginable. I love their Goa PsyTrance channel when I'm on a long drive or doing something that requires some motivation (cleaning the house, etc)

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I think it is coming back around, at least in some parts of the world? lol

Ok, that wasn't horrible

Very good video.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Having grown up in Orlando, I lived it. Baby Anne just did a farewell tour, and Icey is still around every once in a while. Everyone else isn't doing much sadly. I went to a reunion show 2013 Thanksgiving eve in Orlando, that was a ton of fun, but a very different vibe than back in the day. Older people kind of standing around watching, that sort of thing.

A few months ago I was hanging out with Jimmy Joslin at one of his shows in Orlando and we talked about this for quite a bit. He still does all the breaks and if you're around when he is spinning, he'll definitely play the classics.

Seminole Hard Rock in Tampa has 2 resident DJ's from back in the day. Sat. night full 4 hour set by paul santana. Both he and craze are resident dj's there. All breaks all the time. Some old some new. Not the place you'd expect the break scene to show up, but has the benefit of not having to shut down at 3am.

Other than that, hyde park always has old schools sets like these.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    What about this classic..

Modern stuff..

dominator is #2 on the track list I posted in this thread like um 5 years ago. Classic.

"I'm bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher, in other words sucker there is no other I'm the one and only dominator"

Quote Originally Posted by newbitech View Post
    dominator is #2 on the track list I posted in this thread like um 5 years ago. Classic.

"I'm bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher, in other words sucker there is no other I'm the one and only dominator"
    Missed that, but yeah, definitely a classic.
    "I am a bird"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast