Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Donald Trump wants the shutdown

Why Donald Trump wants the shutdown

Firing people is this guys nature. He is famous for it and it wouldn’t be a surprise that he would want to go down in the history books as the guy who began to bring back America to its roots. The wall is a front because if he admits he wants the shutdownwithout retracting then the deep state will override his veto in both chambers with clear majorities. So he comes up with an excuse to keep it going. I’m thrilled to say he is our President as he is doing what we dreamed of doing in these chat rooms and what the Republican/libertarian voters (They were brainwashed at times by the likes of George H W Bush)really wants all along...limited government!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by dude58677 View Post

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    People can be held accountable?

Trump: "You're all fired"

Trump: "Life continues."

Encore!!!
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

When it comes to cost of retirement, is it cheaper for the taxpayer to have one retired person with 40 years of service or 2 retired people with 20 years each?

Firing people is this guys nature.
    That's a meme, and one that's pretty obvious wrong. The guy can't even manage to fire people on his own staff and needs to get other people to do it for him.

The rest of your post is hilarious fan fiction.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it wouldn’t be a surprise that he would want to go down in the history books as the guy who began to bring back America to its roots
    Some of what you said may be true. But you'd have to be delusional or not paying any attention at all to believe this line. When has Trump ever shown the slightest interest or knowledge about America's roots? If he were ever to propose some plan and somebody else were to ask him about how it meshed with the principals of America's roots, Trump would fire that person for asking him what he would consider such a stupid question.

it wouldn’t be a surprise that he would want to go down in the history books as the guy who began to bring back America to its roots.
    For bringing back slavery?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.716ba8c6ff52
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I also got a kick out of the OP's equating Republican voters with libertarian voters.

Republican voters were merely "at times brainwashed by the likes of George H W Bush." Just him? Riiiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    I also got a kick out of the OP's equating Republican voters with libertarian voters.

Republican voters were merely "at times brainwashed by the likes of George H W Bush." Just him? Riiiiiiight.
    I never voted for the Bushes, McCains, Romney’s, Doles, etc.

I never voted for the Bushes, McCains, Romney’s, Doles, etc.
    But the Republican voters you referred to did.

Trump is finished.
    The only questions are do we survive to 2020 and which Democrat wins.

Firing people is this guys nature. He is famous for it and it wouldn’t be a surprise that he would want to go down in the history books as the guy who began to bring back America to its roots. ...!
    He did fire a lot of people when he was a reality TV star.
    Although, he never took such steps on his TV show:

President Trump Signs Back Pay Bill

White House reverses course on food stamp funding
    01/08/2019
    Trump administration officials said Tuesday that the Agriculture Department will be able to pay out food stamp benefits for the entire month of February — tamping down fears that the partial government shutdown could have resulted in rationing or halting of benefits.
    The assurance that the food stamp program, which serves nearly 39 million people, would be on secure financial footing for February marked another major reversal from the administration in the ongoing shutdown fight.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...nefits-1069641

That said, there is no indication that he'll fire any of these folks who appear to be violating commander-in-chief's America First policies.

Contradicting Trump, Bolton says no unconditional withdrawal from Syria

Mexico's President gives Jared Kushner their nation’s greatest award for saving NAFTA (renamed USMCA)

The Order of the Aztec Eagle, issued by Mexico to foreigners who make a significant contribution to the country
    November 30, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Mexico's President gives Jared Kushner their nation’s greatest award for saving NAFTA (renamed USMCA)
    That's really something that Mexico would honor someone for orchestrating the deal that, according to Trump, makes Mexico pay for the wall that he's begging Congress to fund.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    They can always quit.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Trump is finished.
    The only questions are do we survive to 2020 and which Democrat wins.
    LOL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    That said, there is no indication that he'll fire any of these folks who appear to be violating commander-in-chief's America First policies.
    Trump is a scam. Just like his 4 corporate bankrupticies, 1 personal bankruptcy (bailed out by Rothschild via Wilbur Ross) and failed marriages, failed brands (vodka, steaks, water, university, etc) and phony biography. He inherited everything and still messed it up. They own him and tell him exactly what to do - he is a puppet and always has been, since his father donated to Jewish causes in NYC.. and Masons... and he is part Jewish himself, certainly on his father's side and perhaps his mother's also... that's why he married a Jewess first, and Ivanka married a Jew, and his son, and ditto for the Bushes who are also crypto-Jews. "nothing wrong with that" of course. But something IS wrong when this tiny minority takes over Western Civilization and reshapes it into their own image.

They own him and tell him exactly what to do - he is a puppet and always has been, since his father donated to Jewish causes in NYC.. and Masons... and he is part Jewish himself, certainly on his father's side and perhaps his mother's also... that's why he married a Jewess first, and Ivanka married a Jew, and his son, and ditto for the Bushes who are also crypto-Jews. "nothing wrong with that" of course. But something IS wrong when this tiny minority takes over Western Civilization and reshapes it into their own image.
    Bye.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Trump is a scam. Just like his 4 corporate bankrupticies, 1 personal bankruptcy (bailed out by Rothschild via Wilbur Ross) and failed marriages, failed brands (vodka, steaks, water, university, etc) and phony biography. He inherited everything and still messed it up. They own him and tell him exactly what to do - he is a puppet and always has been, since his father donated to Jewish causes in NYC.. and Masons... and he is part Jewish himself, certainly on his father's side and perhaps his mother's also... that's why he married a Jewess first, and Ivanka married a Jew, and his son, and ditto for the Bushes who are also crypto-Jews. "nothing wrong with that" of course. But something IS wrong when this tiny minority takes over Western Civilization and reshapes it into their own image.
    Yet they still want to crucify him and destroy his business for leading this populist revolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    But the Republican voters you referred to did.
    Yes but the same people who voted for the others voted for Donald Trump.

From The American Thinker

January 15, 2019
    Trump's shutdown trap?
    By Thomas Lifson
    Has President Trump suckered Democrats and the Deep State into a trap that will enable a radical downsizing of the federal bureaucracy? In only five more days of the already "longest government shutdown in history" (25 days and counting, as of today), a heretofore obscure threshold will be reached, enabling permanent layoffs of bureaucrats furloughed 30 days or more.

Don't believe me that federal bureaucrats can be laid off? Well, in bureaucratese, a layoff is called a RIF – a Reduction in Force – and of course, it comes with a slew of civil service protections. But, if the guidelines are followed, bureaucrats can be laid off – as in no more job. It is all explained by Michael Roberts here (updated after the beginning of the partial shutdown):
    A reduction in force is a thoughtful and systematic elimination of positions. For all practical purposes, a government RIF is the same thing as a layoff. ...
    Update: See also: OMB issues guidance on Reduction in Force layoffs due to partial shutdown

A lot of procedures must be followed, and merit ("performance") is the last consideration, but based on the criteria above, employees already furloughed can be laid off ("RIFed") once they have been furloughed for 30 days or 22 work days:
    When agencies furlough employees for more than 30 calendar days or 22 discontinuous work days, they must use RIF procedures.
    An employee can be terminated or moved into an available position[.]
    This seems to be what was referenced in this remarkable essay written by an "unidentified senior Trump official" published in the Daily Caller, which vouches for the authenticity of the author and explains that it is protecting him from adverse career consequences should the name become known. I strongly recommend reading the whole thing.

The purported senior official makes the case that devotion to "process" eats up most of the time of federal bureaucrats and is also used by enemies of President Trump's initiatives to stymie the legitimate orders issued by his senior officials:
    On an average day, roughly 15 percent of the employees around me are exceptional patriots serving their country. I wish I could give competitive salaries to them and no one else. But 80 percent feel no pressure to produce results. If they don't feel like doing what they are told, they don't.
    Why would they? We can't fire them. They avoid attention, plan their weekend, schedule vacation, their second job, their next position – some do this in the same position for more than a decade.
    They do nothing that warrants punishment and nothing of external value. That is their workday: errands for the sake of errands – administering, refining, following and collaborating on process. "Process is your friend" is what delusional civil servants tell themselves. Even senior officials must gain approval from every rank across their department, other agencies and work units for basic administrative chores.
    Then the senior official notes what I have just called the "trap":
    Most of my career colleagues actively work against the president's agenda. This means I typically spend about 15 percent of my time on the president's agenda and 85 percent of my time trying to stop sabotage, and we have no power to get rid of them. Until the shutdown.
    Those officials who waste time and stymie the president's initiatives now are not present because they are not categorized as "essential."
    Due to the lack of funding, many federal agencies are now operating more effectively from the top down on a fraction of their workforce, with only select essential personnel serving national security tasks. ...
    President Trump can end this abuse. Senior officials can reprioritize during an extended shutdown, focus on valuable results and weed out the saboteurs. We do not want most employees to return, because we are working better without them.
    Keep in mind that saboteurs cannot be individually identified and RIFed, but they can be included in the layoffs if they meet the criteria above in terms of seniority and service, and they must be given 60 days' notice. But once they are gone, they are no longer free to obstruct using the "process" as their friend, because they are gone.
    You can expect lawsuits on every conceivable point, and I suspect that the definition of "furlough" will be one matter of dispute.

If this was the plan all along, it would explain why President Trump goaded Chuck and Nancy in his televised meeting with them last year, boasting that he would claim credit for the shutdown. How could they resist a prolonged shutdown when he made it so easy to blame him?

President Trump has proven that he is a "disruptor" who changes the framework of thinking on major issues by refusing to accept the "givens" – the assumptions of how things always have been done and therefore always must be done.

So who is the "senior official"? I don't know, but I think Stephen Miller is the sort of bold thinker who might volunteer to telegraph the strategy just five days before the deadline. Give Chuck and Nancy something to think about and probably reject as unthinkable. Then they can't complain that they weren't warned once the trap is sprung.

Such a mass RIF would be the Trump version of Ronald Reagan firing the air traffic controllers when they went on an illegal strike in 1981. That was completely unexpected by his enemies, vehemently criticized, and successful.

Among other benefits, it taught the leaders of the USSR that Ronald Reagan was a man whose threats cannot be dismissed as mere rhetoric. If you think that Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un, Angela Merkel, and any other foreign leaders would not draw the same conclusion from a massive RIF, then you are kidding yourself.

Photo credit: Gage Skidmore (cropped).

My theory may be completely wrong, but I pray that it is not.

Hat tip: Clarice Feldman

Monica Showalter adds: Slate of all places has a useful chart on which agencies have the most RIFs on the line. Surprise, surprise: It's where the bureaucrats most in need of layoffs happen to roost. Update: This is from 2013, but the proportions of furloughed "non-essential" staff likely are similar.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes but the same people who voted for the others voted for Donald Trump.
    Exactly. And it sure wasn't because they wanted smaller government.

I understand the R.I.F. hopes & dreams of popcorn-trail Trump cultists, but I ask, does anyone seriously believe Trump would have the wherewithal and legal right to selectively cull Federal Employees on a personal, discriminatory basis?

I understand the R.I.F. hopes & dreams of popcorn-trail Trump cultists, but I ask, does anyone seriously believe Trump would have the wherewithal and legal right to selectively cull Federal Employees on a personal, discriminatory basis?
    Why be selective or personal or discriminatory?
    Just fire almost all of them, the odds are overwhelming that you will get rid of many bad apples that way.
    Are you a liberal government worker?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why be selective or personal or discriminatory?
    Just fire almost all of them, the odds are overwhelming that you will get rid of many bad apples that way.
    Are you a liberal government worker?
    I don't support firing people who don't deserve to be fired. That makes me sane, not liberal.

I don't support firing people who don't deserve to be fired. That makes me sane, not liberal.
    Almost all of them deserve to be fired.

You are a liberal and probably a government worker.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Almost all of them deserve to be fired.

You are a liberal and probably a government worker.
    You should have more respect for your fellow posters and readers here than to clutter up the pages
    with your 6-inch long signature. Clean it up, bud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast