Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Problem With the Paleo Diet Argument

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't need to watch some pointless video, I can just look in the mirror or at my belt.
    This is what the paleo/primal blue print will do to your body:
    dont worry nobody else watches his pointless propaganda videos either.. thats why he comes here less and less... he knows it too.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I went mushroom hunting last week with a mushroom expert from Nova Scotia who told me the only way you get the nutrients from mushrooms is by cooking/boiling or very lightly cooking them. I am also finding information that mushrooms can be loaded with heavy metals.

After doing some research to cross-reference what he said, I found this...

http://www.prevention.com/health/hea...-mushrooms-raw
    I didn't know any of that. I love raw mushrooms and throw them on my salad all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I didn't know any of that. I love raw mushrooms and throw them on my salad all the time.
    Here's some more info:
    Mushrooms, even common button mushrooms, contain traces of carcinogenic compounds in raw form. The same toxin, hydrazine, is also found in portobello mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms contain a naturally occurring fomaldehyde. Both chemicals are heat-sensitive and abolished upon exposure to heat. You might think nothing of eating a few slices of button mushrooms raw, but to get the anti-cancer effects of mushrooms, eat them cooked. A 2009 study published in the International Journal of Cancer found that regular consumption of cooked mushrooms has been shown to decrease the risk of breast cancer by 60 percent.
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/...-before-eating

...As a food source though, mushrooms have one big problem: monomethylhydrazine. MMH is most commonly found in rocket fuel. Many cases of “mushroom poisoning” can be attributed to this chemical. That’s the bad news, here’s the good: MMH is a volatile organic compound, so cooking drives it away.

Pay close attention to that word: Cooking. Never, ever eat raw mushrooms! Any mushroom. That includes those white button mushrooms you buy at the grocery store or get on your salads in a restaurant.
    https://hedgerowharvest.wordpress.co...raw-mushrooms/

Hydrazine and other compounds: A chemical derivative of hydrazine, a toxic compound, is present in some of mushrooms including the white button (Hashida, Hayashi et al. 1990). Hydrazine, an ammonia like liquid compound, is easily volatilized with a thorough sauté. Eating a few uncooked mushrooms usually won't make you sick, as evidenced by the compound being present in the white button mushrooms, which are commonly eaten raw. While the toxicity of the compound hydrazine (also a component of rocket fuel) is well understood, exactly what mushrooms contain hydrazine and in what volume, has not been well studied. It is only through mushrooms like the false morel, which contain large amounts of the hydrazine gyromitrin, do we appreciate the toxic effects. It is clear that some people are more sensitive to hydrazine, while some feel no effect from eating false morels, others have become very sick or have even ceased to exist. Symptoms are usually gastrointestinal and neurological and most often occur within 6-12 hours of consumption. There is also evidence that repeated consumption can increase risk of illness. This has lead some scientists to believe some people may be deficient in enzymes that convert hydrazine to non-toxic compounds in the body (Coulet and Guillot 1982). If you always cook your mushrooms you will never need to know if you are sensitive to the hydrazine.

In rare cases, individuals have developed a skin rash from eating raw or undercooked shiitake mushrooms. The shiitake sensitivity is an allergic reaction rather than a toxicity (Kopp, Mastan et al. 2009). However the lesson is the same-- when trying new mushrooms, cook mushrooms thoroughly. Mushrooms, like the false morel, are parboiled before consumption. Still if you really want to try mushrooms raw, eat only a small piece and wait for a possible reaction before eating a larger quantity.
    http://everythingmushrooms.com/a-few...rooms-you-eat/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789