Thread: Hungary removes statue of anti-Soviet hero Imre Nagy

Hungary removes statue of anti-Soviet hero Imre Nagy

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46704111

The Hungarian authorities have removed a much-loved statue of Imre Nagy, hero of the 1956 anti-Soviet uprising, from a square in central Budapest.

The Nagy statue is being moved to Jaszai Mari Square, a northern location away from the parliament building.

Some critics accuse Prime Minister Viktor Orban's nationalist government of revising the country's history.

A monument to the victims of a short-lived communist regime in 1919 will replace the Nagy statue.

Imre Nagy was hanged in 1958 for his role in the uprising. A pro-reform communist, he had sought to free Hungary of hardline communist rule, but in 1956 the revolt was crushed by Soviet tanks. Pro-Moscow hardliners were reinstalled in power.

The statue was erected in 1996 at Martyrs' Square.

In 1989 Viktor Orban - then an anti-communist activist - addressed a rally celebrating the reburial and rehabilitation of Imre Nagy.

But in recent years Mr Orban has forged closer ties with Russian President Vladimir Putin, a former KGB officer who has restored Soviet-era symbols and who regrets the collapse of the USSR.

The new monument at Martyrs' Square will replicate one that stood there during the pro-Nazi rule of wartime Admiral Miklos Horthy, who fuelled anti-Semitism.

Nagy's granddaughter Katalin Janosi is among those opposed to the square's redevelopment.

Mr Orban's supporters say the aim is to return parts of the capital to their pre-World War Two appearance, before the decades of communist rule.

There have been many tweets protesting at the disappearance of the Nagy statue.

The Nagy statue looks towards the Hungarian parliament
    The "Flame of the Revolution" - a perpetual flame also honoring the 1956 anti- Communist Uprising was removed from the square previously.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-29-2018 at 12:16 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Nagy statue is being moved to Jaszai Mari Square, a northern location away from the parliament building.

A monument to the victims of a short-lived communist regime in 1919 will replace the Nagy statue.
    So your headline is FakeNews, it is being moved not "removed".

The new monument at Martyrs' Square will replicate one that stood there during the pro-Nazi rule of wartime Admiral Miklos Horthy, who fuelled anti-Semitism.
    Guilt by association?
    Also I would bet that the monument was there before Horthy.

Is Hungary going NAZI or is it buddying up to the KGB communist Putin?
    I'm so confused.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    So your headline is FakeNews, it is being moved not "removed".

Guilt by association?
    Also I would bet that the monument was there before Horthy.

Is Hungary going NAZI or is it buddying up to the KGB communist Putin?
    I'm so confused.
    That one was put up in 1934. http://hungarianspectrum.org/2018/07...and-imre-nagy/

When the second Orbán government retrofitted Kossuth Square, all of the changes made after 1944 were undone, and missing structures from pre-1944 were recreated. The Flame of the Revolution fell victim to that purge. Kövér, a great supporter of the recreation of the ancien regime, also wanted to make a clean sweep of the Square of the Martyrs. There, in 1934, a monument was erected dedicated to “the national martyrs” of the 1919 red terror.
    Horthy led Hungary from 1920 to 1944. https://theorangefiles.hu/the-horthy...920-1944-long/

So yes, he was the one who had it put up. (I can't find an image of the sculpture).

Hungary is buddying up to Putin and putting up totalitarian sponsored works from their past.

Ah, the good old days. When nobody could question a supreme leader.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-29-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    That one was put up in 1934. http://hungarianspectrum.org/2018/07...and-imre-nagy/

Horthy led Hungary from 1920 to 1944. https://theorangefiles.hu/the-horthy...920-1944-long/

So yes, he was the one who had it put up. (I can't find an image of the sculpture).

Hungary is buddying up to Putin and putting up totalitarian sponsored works from their past.

Ah, the good old days. When nobody could question a supreme leader.
    So Horthy took over from the communist government killed the people that the statue was dedicated to?
    How does that make the statue NAZI in any way?
    The statue is anti-communist, that is all, Putin is ex-KGB and he has been criticized for honoring communists and communist statues etc.
    The Ukraine is NAZI and they hate Putin's guts.
    Is Hungary going NAZI or pro-Putin?
    Or maybe this is all making a mountain out of the great plains, the movement of one statue (NOT ITS REMOVAL) and the replacement of the other don't mean anything.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 12-29-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

@Zippyjuan

By putting things back that the Russians changed at the end of WWII they are actually defying Putin.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    @Zippyjuan

By putting things back that the Russians changed at the end of WWII they are actually defying Putin.
    Russia warns Poland not to touch Soviet WW2 memorials

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment