Thread: Layoffs Start Turning From Temporary to Permanent Across America

Layoffs Start Turning From Temporary to Permanent Across America

With a history going back to 1881, the Michigan Maple Block Co. has long been a reliable fixture in the small northern town of Petoskey. On its website, the family-owned company boasts of having invented the laminated butcher block and that its products grace the Getty Museum in Los Angeles and the Waldorf-Astoria in New York. And yet by early July it will be shutting its Petoskey factory and cutting loose all 56 workers at one of the few year-round businesses in the Lake Michigan tourist town.

The economic carnage caused by the coronavirus outbreak has torn through Michigan Maple’s already slim profit margins and made it impossible to continue as a viable business, company President Ann Dau Conway said in a letter to staff. “My family has operated Michigan Maple Block through many advverse economic time periods including two world wars, the Great Depression, and multiple recessions. I am saddened that the mounting challenges the business faces today have compelled us to close the Company,” she wrote.

In an American economy negotiating a downturn that is already being likened to the 1930s Great Depression, with data on May 8 expected to show more than 20 million Americans lost their jobs in April, the story of Michigan Maple and its 56 workers is easy to ignore. It should, though, be a warning for those trying to figure if and when the U.S. economy can stage a full recovery from an induced coma.

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...ent-around-u-s
    Copyright © BloombergQuint

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This happened to someone in my family back in March. Even though he was working for an essential business, it become a temporary to a permanent layoff.

I know you mean well, but lets stop calling some businesses and people essential. they are all essential

All except politicians and Fauci of course

Quote Originally Posted by helenpaul View Post
    I know you mean well, but lets stop calling some businesses and people essential. they are all essential
    Like healthcare, government has NO business deciding what is essential, or not.

That is for the Free Market to decide.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Like healthcare, government has NO business deciding what is essential, or not.

That is for the Free Market to decide.
    I'm wearing my rep button out with you PAF. Damn it. +1
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Politicians are delighted by this. Now they can get themselves a nice government check.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    I'm wearing my rep button out with you PAF. Damn it. +1
    PAF is a great truth teller around RPFs.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    PAF is a great truth teller around RPFs.
    As are you.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    As are you.
    Thanks and I feel the same.