Thread: Don't ever do something stupid and hurt yourself

Don't ever do something stupid and hurt yourself

A 2 foot cheater bar wasn't enough , so I grabbed my
    4 footer, to straighten out a 3/4''' telephone pole bolt.
    I had this fleeting flash; what if it breaks, lol I thought,
    you can pry these things back and forth 30 times before
    you could get it to break.
    cREAK CREEEAAK, Crrrrraaaack!!! broke my glasses ,
    I panicked and went to see if I had knocked my eye loose, thank god it
    was still there, for a second I wasn't sure it would be,
    peroxide, and a bandaid,
    3 hrs later, I'm afraid to look in the mirror., .........

What did I learn;

:shrugs:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    A 2 foot cheater bar wasn't enough , so I grabbed my
    4 footer, to straighten out a 3/4''' telephone pole bolt.
    I had this fleeting flash; what if it breaks, lol I thought,
    you can pry these things back and forth 30 times before
    you could get it to break.
    cREAK CREEEAAK, Crrrrraaaack!!! broke my glasses ,
    I panicked and went to see if I had knocked my eye loose, thank god it
    was still there, for a second I wasn't sure it would be,
    peroxide, and a bandaid,
    3 hrs later, I'm afraid to look in the mirror., .........

What did I learn;

:shrugs:

Glad you are OK . What were you straightening a phone pole bolt for ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Glad you are OK . What were you straightening a phone pole bolt for ?
    Ha, ya, thanks, my new name is dumb dumb.........
    I'm building a personal sized Bike Park for my mountain bikes, obstacles and all kinda' strange
    contraptions, the back yard is like 300' by about 200 something, I'm only using about a 1/4 of it though,
    so far.
    I've taken bolts out of other poles without too much fuss, well it does take a long time , I've
    got a dozen or so railroad ties and already have a nice little rock garden built. Keeps me busy I guess.

aNy one else ever done something dumb , and thought; geez wut on earth wus you thinking..........

-

I'm building a personal sized Bike Park for my mountain bikes, obstacles and all kinda' strange
    contraptions, the back yard is like 300' by about 200 something, I'm only using about a 1/4 of it though,
    so far.
    I've taken bolts out of other poles without too much fuss, well it does take a long time , I've
    got a dozen or so railroad ties and already have a nice little rock garden built. Keeps me busy I guess.

aNy one else ever done something dumb , and thought; geez wut on earth wus you thinking..........

-
    No, never. Ever.
    "The Patriarch"

Not even once.
    "The Patriarch"

In fact, it's never even been close.
    "The Patriarch"

so far.

-
    Oh yes I have done some things that were not too prudent in hindsight . Then I topped them all and had about 10 kids .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Oh yes I have done some things that were not too prudent in hindsight . Then I topped them all and had about 10 kids .
    If they turned out anything like you then the world should be very grateful.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good thing you didn't break something.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I've never done anything dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

You're only a dumb dumb if you dont learn from your mistakes.

I had a car with a points type distributor. I got a rebuild kit and was trying to remove the rotor and shaft, but apparently it had a bend to it preventing the easy removal. So I continuously pulled as hard as I could, as fast as I could till it jammed, Then I'd push it down as hard as I could - repeating this cycle... At least until I got my finger underneath the points cam on the way down - I nearly severed the end of my middle finger off, and across the garage went the distributor chased by a string of angry obscenities. My then girlfriend, now wife, quickly left the garage, not even saying a single word...

Lessons:

1. Never let a situation get the better of you, to the extent that you are not aware of where your fingers are.

2. Sometimes its worth a few bucks to just buy a new distributor, saving frustration and injury.

3. There's a cam that actuates the points on the distributor shaft, and it doesnt feel good when it comes down on the housing and your finger is between the 2.

4. The smart observer of such events gets the hell out of dodge when they unfold.

Picture of the hateful cam, which resides beneath the advance weights:

Last edited by brushfire; 01-20-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I've had two pretty bad avocado injuries, didn't quite have to go to the ER though. They were both about 14 or 15 years ago. My neighbor sold avocados wholesale and always had boxes of them laying around his house and was constantly giving them away. We were in college so this was free food.

The first one was a stab would do the center of the hand. When the avocado is a little under-ripe, after you have cut it in half it can be difficult to remove the seed. Use a big kitchen knife, or chef's knife and then come down onto the seed like you would with a butcher's knife and try to get about 1/3 or the way through the seed. Twist, and pull the seed out. DO NOT use a steak knife, or one of those really light duty kitchen knives, you will want one with a little bit of weight behind it to get through the seed. Otherwise you might be tempted to use the pointy end of the knife to get through the seed and pull it out, and that is not a good idea. Lesson learned. Have a scar, luckily didn't need stitches.

The second one, I dropped an avocado with one hand, and tried to catch it with the other hand and missed. My fingernail hit the edge of the skin of the avocado, and a slice of avocado skin about a half cm long, less than 1 mm wide and probably a half mm thin got wedged at least half way up my fingernail, on the underside. Could not get it out. Had to wait several months for the fingernail to grow out. Fortunately it didn't get infected or cause the nail to separate from the finger or anything. It was VERY painful though. Much more painful than the knife wound.
    "Avocado Hand" is sending people to the ER!!!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ople-to-the-ER!!!
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Wear gloves when you work outside in the cold with potentially abrasive objects. I've found myself losing pieces of skin/flesh before as I thought I didn't feel anything... Never too bad but it's the kind of wound that irritates the $#@! out of you, mostly for not thinking ahead.

Also, do not follow your nephew down a 5ft wide, very steep anchor-lift slope that has frozen over when he: "Remembers a place halfway to go back to the regular ski-slopes." In this case I was able to make the exit and was only launched by a snowbank that was not there the previous year, my nephew was launched, lost all his gear and slid about a quarter mile down the mountain. He had a painful knee for the rest of the week.

Lastly, do not mess around inside the glovebox of your car when your nephew is lowering the lift it's sitting on (same nephew). Turns out you your toenails turn black from that. Nails didn't fall off but before I took my shoes off I thought I just lost all my toes.

Phew... I do stupid stuff all the time, best way to learn... Except if you earn a Darwin Award in the process.
    "I am a bird"

When using a staple gun, make sure you know where your fingers are.

Also, when trying to figure out what is wrong with the feed dog on a sewing machine remove the needle before you put it through your fingernail.

It might look like fun but not every hole is safe to stick it in to

Beware
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Total Protonic Reversal

Don't cross the streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Don't cross the streams.
    See ya on the other side.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

If the phone rings, dont answer the Clothing Iron.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Don't screw up - I almost lost an eye.