Thread: Help me out, Ubuntu experts

Question Help me out, Ubuntu experts

I made a bootable DVD to try out Ubuntu. However, every time I try to boot to it, the system goes to Windoze as if there was no DVD in the drive. WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did you go into your BIOS and switch the boot priority?

Did you try a USB stick?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ubuntu translated from Zulu means something like the essence of being human . Danke probably owns that since he has an obsession with essence .

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Did you go into your BIOS and switch the boot priority?

Did you try a USB stick?
    no on both counts
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    no on both counts
    Well you probably have to go into your bios on bootup and switch the boot priority to boot to the DVD Rom first, you should also be able to use a USB I think it's faster loading the OS.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

no on both counts
    The jokes write themselves on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    The jokes write themselves on this one.
    I don't get it.

I don't get it.
    How were you trying to convey your desire to boot from a DVD to your computer? Did you use a brain harness or were just giving it a long stare?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    How were you trying to convey your desire to boot from a DVD to your computer? Did you use a brain harness or were just giving it a long stare?
    I don't see anything wrong there. Do you have a style preference I don't use? Every Ubuntu user I've ever known personally describes it that way, ffs. The phrase means to boot from the DVD instead of the hard drive, not "to boot from a DVD to your computer". Have you really never used or made a bootable disk/flash drive?
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 12-12-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Microsoft is getting pissy about using any sort of secondary operating system or dual boot systems, so they've been actively removing those choices.

Personally, I'd start with a clean hard drive, no windows on it, or even plugged in, period. Go into BIOS (Hit the DEL key as the computer boots) change the Boot Order or Boot Priority then boot it off of your DVD. Its just like installing windows, but for other OS's as well, you'll be given some options to select a hard drive to install Ubuntu to, and will most likely have to format the drive first. From there, it should just be a matter of following prompts to get the OS onto the hard drive and wait for files to copy. After that, the real fun begins as a lot of new hardware is Windows Specific so there may not even be compatible drivers for the hardware in your box.

Dont bother trying to do Dual Boot until you know what youre doing.

Not sure on UEFI for non windows based systems, Im not that familiar with newer hardware, so anyone care to help out in regards to that...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Dannno's right. Not recognizing the ISO is a boot device priority problem.

F2 is usually the key to strike/hold while the computer is booting, that takes you to the BIOS where there should be a boot/startup tab to view (with the boot device list).
    You'll hit the + key on the highlighted option to increase the priority of the desired device.
    *Alternatively, the BIOS boot screen usually tells you at the bottom "F[X] for boot device menu", usually F12 that will let you select the boot device on a one-time basis.

Presumably, your ISO is just installation media and it's going to prompt you to install the operating system somewhere. Your best bet is going to be using a second hard drive.
    *Before messing with anything, make sure you have a backup of the files you need. Seriously. Test a restore of some important directory before believing the backup works. I've lived that nightmare before.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Microsoft is getting pissy about using any sort of secondary operating system or dual boot systems
    Agreed. Didn't want to go down the rabbit hole originally, but some nasty things can happen with Microsoft and "dual boot". If the ISO is install media (and I'm 95% sure), the secondary HDD route is recommended. Make sure to have your original hard drive totally unplugged during the installation (seriously). Just do that during the install and your primary hard drive is safe.

Not sure on UEFI for non windows based systems, Im not that familiar with newer hardware, so anyone care to help out in regards to that...
    I'm sure that most flavors have worked around Windows attempts to thwart them.

Not sure of New BIOS,, trusted computing is not to be trusted.

NOT an Ubuntu Guru,, I like PCLinuxOS.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 12-13-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    NOT an Ubuntu Guru,, I like PCLinuxOS.
    Interesting, I just found out that PCLinuxOS apparently doesn't do Debian packages.

HB, if you've never done Linux before you should know that the only substantial difference between any Linux is the package management system.
    Red Hat and its derivatives use RPM packages.
    Debian and its derivatives use apt packages.
    Those are the two major flavors. (PCLinuxOS appears to be some sort of hybrid?)

Ubuntu uses Debian style packages. I would go that route, because a lot of the most popular home-computing Linux builds do... so you get a lot of stuff available to any build that uses them. And once you get used to the package management, you can go shopping for a particular build that supports a different window manager...
    ...that is my primary beef with Ubuntu, they swallowed the modern UI Kool-Aid and shifted away from a lot of paradigms that have been in place for decades, and use a ton more system resources to do it.
    If you want something that does a straight Win95 style interface, it exists. If you want something completely off-the-wall, that exists too. Technically you can change the window manager at a whim, but it works out much better if the whole build was made for it.

But you can't easily change out the package management, and when you do, you'll have another uphill slog to figure it out, because it'll be different from whatever you started with.

I guess this is a long way of saying, Ubuntu is a good place to start, but I'd end up with Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Jan2017

Some computers a key combination can get you to a set-up screen where boot order can be changed to a CD/DVD drive or a USB.

PLOPlinux used to go on a floppy, which all PCs used to look at first even before the hard drive (for recovery purposes)

PLOPlinux / Boot Manager way back in 2009 allowed me to boot up their boot manager screen before windows,
    then I could choose to boot from other choices than the Windows hard drive - like a CD/DVD "live version" or a USB (as a live version as well, or a full installed Kubuntu or other)

Linux - including the Ubuntu flavors - are great as a free opensource for all sorts of software not free with Windows.

• USB boot without BIOS support (UHCI, OHCI and EHCI)
    • CD/DVD boot without BIOS support (IDE)
    • PCMCIA CardBus support to enable boot from USB PC-Cards
    • Floppy boot

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html
    Last edited by Jan2017; 12-13-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    (PCLinuxOS appears to be some sort of hybrid?)
    Mandriva (Mandrake) offshoot

Been using it since 2004.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    @heavenlyboy34 - Any luck by changing the Boot Order in BIOS?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

@heavenlyboy34 - Any luck by changing the Boot Order in BIOS?
    Nope

Interesting, I just found out that PCLinuxOS apparently doesn't do Debian packages.

HB, if you've never done Linux before you should know that the only substantial difference between any Linux is the package management system.
    Red Hat and its derivatives use RPM packages.
    Debian and its derivatives use apt packages.
    Those are the two major flavors. (PCLinuxOS appears to be some sort of hybrid?)

Ubuntu uses Debian style packages. I would go that route, because a lot of the most popular home-computing Linux builds do... so you get a lot of stuff available to any build that uses them. And once you get used to the package management, you can go shopping for a particular build that supports a different window manager...
    ...that is my primary beef with Ubuntu, they swallowed the modern UI Kool-Aid and shifted away from a lot of paradigms that have been in place for decades, and use a ton more system resources to do it.
    If you want something that does a straight Win95 style interface, it exists. If you want something completely off-the-wall, that exists too. Technically you can change the window manager at a whim, but it works out much better if the whole build was made for it.

But you can't easily change out the package management, and when you do, you'll have another uphill slog to figure it out, because it'll be different from whatever you started with.

I guess this is a long way of saying, Ubuntu is a good place to start, but I'd end up with Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    Thanks! Can I try it using a USB thumb drive before installing it? #Linuxn00b

Quote Originally Posted by 106459 View Post
    Agreed. Didn't want to go down the rabbit hole originally, but some nasty things can happen with Microsoft and "dual boot". If the ISO is install media (and I'm 95% sure), the secondary HDD route is recommended. Make sure to have your original hard drive totally unplugged during the installation (seriously). Just do that during the install and your primary hard drive is safe.
    QFT. I tried to set up this station I'm using now as a dual boot win 7/8 when I got it so's I could use older engraving software. Fail. Wound up having to get new engraving software and reentering manuscripts from scratch. SMFH.

Thanks! Can I try it using a USB thumb drive before installing it? #Linuxn00b
    Yes, but creating a bootable thumb drive contains extra steps from doing it on DVD.
    One reason why I suggest going with Lubuntu / Xubuntu is that... well let me digress a second.
    Computer Science is in a really dark place these days. Hardware is so cheap that it is just assumed from the get go that you're going to be doing everything about an order of magnitude less efficiently than is possible.
    There is a reason why nothing you do on a computer is substantially faster than it was 10 years ago. There's also a reason why, about 15 years ago, everyone dealing with computers suddenly started putting nonfunctional polish on everything... to make it seem like you were getting something new, when you weren't.
    Most people have absolutely no need at all to have hardware that is less than 10 years old... except that Windows is (and always has been) a timebomb waiting to botch your entire system.
    (The old adage is, in order to break Linux you really have to work at it, but in order to break Windows, you only have to work ON it.)
    I have a 2006 vintage miniITX setup on my TV, watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc...
    ...but in your case I'm guessing you probably do music mixing or something, so you'll need better hardware than that. It also means that if you can get rid of all the transparent windows, 3d animated backgrounds, even the rounded window corners, you can devote more actual system resources to your high-performance needs.

Also, if you do have any of said high-performance needs, like music or image or vid editing (I don't know what engraving software entails), then doing the test run isn't going to get you a valid test. DVD works fine if you're looking to try out the interface and figure out whether you can actually work out how the interface works. It won't work at all if you're mixing.
    The USB stick will be faster but still not give you a good enough experience.

Is it a laptop or a desktop?
    If it is a desktop, and you don't want to clobber your Winblows installation (yet), I would just go get an extra SSD, swap it in, and install on that. You won't need much to take a full test drive - I have never put more than 64gb of SSD in a Linux box and have never wanted more. (Because I add a second big mechanical drive for storage, but you won't need that until later, and only if you're collecting movies & stuff.)
    And you can get a 64gb SSD for under $40 at this point.

Technically you can also do this in a laptop but they tend to fight your attempts to get inside them.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Jan2017

Yes, but creating a bootable thumb drive contains extra steps from doing it on DVD.

You won't need much to take a full test drive - I have never put more than 64gb of SSD in a Linux box and have never wanted more.
    But, a USB thumb drive is the easiest way to create another bootable partition - either as a test drive with a "live" linux distribution or to install a new OS to - 8GB works.

My first live usb was created from the live dvd - Ubuntu 9.04 on a 1gb thumb drive - using the usb creator tool.

Rather than a new hard drive, with Windows or a Mac, I would re-size the partition down to create open space for a new partition with linux.

But before all that . . . we have to get you to run linux from the dvd . . .

Pay close attention to the first screen that appears. Look for a message that indicates which key you need to press in order to access the BIOS.
    That key is likely to be:

--A Function key (such as F1, F2, or F3)
    --The Esc key
    --The Delete key
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2410...-pcs-bios.html